Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

quote:

The year is 196X. The place is a secretive and selective boarding school that has just opened in sedate rural upstate Halcyon, 4 hours by bus (less by experimental jet) from the big city. In a campus on the grounds of the former country home of an eccentric billionaire that mixes ivy covered gothic revival architecture with the gleaming silver of the latest scientific marvels, a handful of retired superheroes hope to train and prepare the latest generation of extraordinary young people to face evil and fight on behalf of a world that hates and fears them. Perhaps with the right guidance the heroes of tomorrow can bring super-heroism back to a decade rocked by civil strife and living in fear of nuclear annihilation, rising like a Phoenix from the ashes of the past.

MASKS game using the Phoenix academy playset with the clock wound back to the 60s for a vintage X-Men feel. For applications please start simple, I'd prefer to flesh out backstories through questions and play. Any playbook permitted, but the power level of the setting is going to start out lower than normal with many older heroes and villains being dead or retired. I was going to develop a whole alternate history to explain everything, but then I figured I could get the players to do my work for me so here is a skeleton:

quote:

The year is 196X
The Academy is a private boarding school in rural upstate Halcyon
Characters are still 4th gen heroes
1st gen 1930s, mystery men, fought gangsters/cults
2nd gen 1940s, early supers, fought ww2/mad science
3rd gen 1950s, ‘golden age’ supers, fought aliens/reds
Many of the worlds heroes and villains were killed in nuclear escalation in Korea or driven into seclusion by Mcarthyism
Academy Director is a survivor of that
mentors/legacies may want to reference or explain
Loss of heroes has led to nuclear tensions
Lower power level, early x-men/avengers rather than justice league
Not ruling out playbooks, just moderating fiction of abilities
Emphasis on controlling power
little/no public support for heroes

Themes:
Atomic Age!
Are you Children of the Atom? Or Flower Powered?
Oh boy missiles in Cuba?
Cold War! Are Reds under your bed? Or in your bed?
Space Exploration! We will go to the moon in this decade, and punch the nazis who live there!
Civil Rights! Is this whole scenario a ham-fisted analogy? (yes)
Groovy Spies! Probably not in the school, but who knows?
Vietnam! Did it even go down the same way after a nuclear Korea?
Protest Movements! Beat up cops, or thrash filthy hippies?
Academic Ethics! Should your school teachers really be dressing you in bright costumes and putting you on an experimental jet to go fight super-crime? Seems like your parents should have signed a permission slip at least.
Clubs, Cliques, and Faculty! You aren’t the only students in this school!

Forget the standard questions, they were too hard to adapt! they will be replaced with more personal questions!

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Interest post

POMMERMAN - The Bull

POMMERMAN is a Pomeranian. Previously the lab pet of Dr Halthorpe, a nuclear researcher working on a secret US project to identify the superhuman creating properties of different substances. Whatever happened at the Lab, POMMERMAN showed up at the gates of Phoenix Academy with a briefcase in his mouth fill with top secret documents. That was when It was discovered that he could shape shift into a human form, was practically indestructible, incredibly strong, terrifyingly fast, and a very good boy.

With a human from, came human level intelligence. And a name. Whoosa Goodboy, or Izziyou. Sadly this hasn't brought a human level personality. And as such Izziyou is very instinct driven, and often quite noisy and excitable. Whatever allows him to transform back and forth also somehow includes clothes. A small mercy really. Given that Izziyou struggles with human social cues, and can occasionally be found struggling to remember how thumbs work.

quote:

• Who changed you?

ARF ARF! ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF! Arf yip arf!

I was good boy for lab! Master told me my name is Whoosa Goodboy! So I did my best to be helpful. Smelling all the things and getting all the pets, and eating fallen food from the floor. They were working with radiation using nuclear rods that looked almost like the sticks we played with. I like sticks! Do you have a stick? No? Boo... anyway! We totally should get a stick! So one day bad people show up at the lab. Master is scared and I bork at the bad men, so they kick me and throw me in the no no glow glow room! I do not like that room. I'm getting so hungry, so I eat one of the bad sticks, just to see how it tastes. It tastes bad. But then I felt strange. So I closed my eyes to have a nap.

quote:

• How did you escape from them?

*low growl* *licks nose* Arf arf arf arf! Arf arf!

When I woke up I felt strange. Like I was the wrong shape. I want Master, so I scratch the door to ask Master to let me out. The door breaks under my paws! I wriggle through the hole I just made, and I find Master! He is not moving... he smells of the hurt. He is cold, and not moving. The bad people hurt Master. Took his precious papers! So I had to chase them and get them back!! But everything feels wrong, and my legs are too long. The bad men seem very scared and make bang noises at me. But I get the ankle of the first one, and then they're all flying everywhere. I don't understand it. But bad men also smell of hurt! Ha! Can't stop the Goodboy! I chase after the Alpha! But he escapes in the chopper! But I've got the best nose! So I track it down to a big lab in a big city! I ignore all of the interesting smells, because I've got to get the Master's things back! The security try to stop me, but no one can stop the Goodboy! I bite the bad man, take the papers back. But then I realise I'm lost! So then I go find food. Because I'm hungry. And while I was eating from the trashcan I saw a cat! So I chased it all the way to this big house! I borked at the cat. Ha. Stupid cat.

quote:

• Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF! ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF!

Master has gone to farm upstate. So new Master at big house! New Master very nice! But sometimes shouty, and wants me to sit at desk with the other people, and write with my man paws. I do my best to listen! Because I love Master! So I do because I'm a Goodboy!

quote:

• Why do you try to be a hero?

Woof! *chases tail* *stretches* Arf arf yip woof!

Because when I do, Master gives me treats and pats my belly and reminds me what my name is! What more could a dog want?

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?

*lovable panting* *Tailwag* Yip!!

They also gives me pets and treats! I love pets and treats! I love them! I love everyone! Because I love them!!

quote:

Hero Name: POMMERMAN
Look:

Abilities: Someone or something changed you, made you into a perfect weapon: superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting. Decide how each of those abilities manifests.

Labels:
Danger +2
Freak +1
Savior -1
Superior +1
Mundane +0

Moves:

In a china shop:
When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss

Physics? What physics?:
When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.

The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.
Love:
Rival:
Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
Friend: When you comfort or support your love or rival, mark potential on a hit. When your love or rival comforts or supports you, mark potential when they roll a hit.

Moment of Truth:

This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

When our team first came together...

We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships:

_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence:

You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 24, 2019

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

"I am Karen Yamada, daughter of Kenshin Yamada, the Fearless Blade! I will follow in his footsteps and protect the weak from those who would take advantage."

• How did you gain your skills?

Good genes, natural athleticism and a whole lot of hard work! I was a gymnast for years, a really good one - pre-olympic level. I'm still good, better than ever probably, but my old school team dropped me like a hot potato after I broke an arm doing an extra-extra-curricular activity, so I'm probably not going for that medal now.

As for the sword stuff? That's all self taught! I mean, mostly! There are twenty-one far-out swords in my garage, and a whole bunch of old scrolls detailing styles and techniques. I can't read them, but a lot of them have pictures that show the proper form and position. There's also a projector and a couple film reels from when my dad was younger, beating the crap out of bad guys!

Like whoosh, slash! Aaargh, splat! "I used the back of my blade." Stuff like that. That's how I fight too, with a little flair of my own. And when I develop my real powers, I'll be undefeatable!

• When did you first put on your costume?

There was a guy in my school. A big, burly football guy. Rich family, mean parents. He thought he was mean too. He used to threaten people, bully them, take their things. He was just this awful presence that everyone ignored, as if it would make them invisible to him. They were all afraid of him. Not me though - a true hero is fearless! I caught him red-handed, rifling through another students bag, looking for something worth selling, and I confronted him. He laughed at me. He called me adorable. Ooh, I was so mad.

I decided I had to stop him. I wanted to wear my dad's old armour for it, but it didn't fit because he was huge, like 5'9". So I put together a little something of my own. Now admittedly, the original neko suit was rushed, and maybe a little shabby, but I didn't have time to sit around the house making sure the seams were all straight while there were innocents waiting to be defended. So I wore it for the first time when I tracked this bully and one of his sycophant buddies to a pawn shop, trying to offload misbegotten gains. I fought both of them right there in the store, and let's just say he didn't find me quite so adorable that time.

• Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn't be a superhero?

Oh, my mom is not a fan of this whole deal. Its not hard to understand her reluctance given what happened to dad, but she'll just have to cope with it! Heroism is in my blood. You can't fight that - rules of nature.

Because! My dad was The Fearless Blade, Kenshin Yamada!

I was pretty young when he died so I don't remember him much personally, but boy have I studied him. With incomparable technique and the ability to nullify the powers of others, he fought to protect the weak from the strong and cruel. Sure, I don't have twenty years of training and battle experience like he did in his prime. I can't read any of his groovy special move scrolls, and I don't have anti-power powers... yet... But I have a legacy worth living up to, and I can't give up without trying.

If I could be even half the hero he was, it would make the world a better place.

Why do I care about the awesome super-powered allies who are going to help me change the world? Come on, are you kidding me? I know you have better questions than this.

quote:

Hero Name: Neko (possibly Masameowne)

Look
Woman, Mixed-race, Smiling face, Comfortable clothing, Iconic costume

Abilities
If you have powers, they're pretty minor or not noticeable. If you have skills, you carry the necessary equipment.
❑ Sword
❑ Acrobatics

Labels
Danger -1
Freak -1
Saviour +3
Superior 0
Mundane +2

Beacon Moves
❑ Straight. Up. Creepin'.:
When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one.
- What's my best way in/out?
- What happened here recently?
- What here is worth grabbing?
- Who or what here is not what they seem?
- Whose place is this?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.

❑ Pretty much a superhero:
When you bring up your superhero name to someone important (your call) for the first time, roll + Savior. On a hit, they've heard of you; say which of your exploits they've heard about and which Label they think applies. On a 7-9, the GM will tell you something else they've heard, and pick a second Label they assign to you. On a miss, they don't take you seriously or mistrust you moving forward.

Drives
❑ Travel to an incredible place (or time)
❑ Reject someone who tells you “you shouldn't be here”
❑ Make out with a teammate
❑ Take down a threat all on your own

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that's you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you're done. of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation…

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they're awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you're awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

When our team first came together…
We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You've got to prove yourself to _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ before you feel like a real hero.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give influence over you to three of your teammates.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 23, 2019

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Silver, the Delinquent (Source)

This is quite the place, isn’t it? Fancy school, filled with fancy lads and ladies, with their fancy power. But a school’s still a school, no matter how you dress it up, and a school’s a dull place to be, and the only thing you learn from a school is how to be a good boy or girl and follow the status quo without question. It’s all a bit bullshit, is what I’m saying.

Who am I? I’m Sylv, but you can call me Silver. Came all the way here to “learn” how to be a proper hero. Not by choice, mind. You can thank my mum for that. If I had a choice, I wouldn’t even be here, but there’s no sense crying over it. Might as well make the best out of it while I’m here, eh? The school might be dull, and the people might be fake, but that doesn’t mean I can’t add a little “spice” to liven things up.

quote:

• How did you get your powers?

Funny story, that. Me and my mate, Hope, were on our way back home after spending some time at the arcades, and that’s when we spotted some nasty looking men roughing up some poor bugger in a nearby alleyway for all his money. Most people would have turned a blind eye to what they saw, and move on like nothing was happening, but me and Hope aren’t most people. I can’t stand it when people push around those who are more vulnerable than them, so I did what I did best; Go in, and raise some hell.

But those men, they weren’t like the bullies at my school. They were much more dangerous, and that’s when I quickly realized my mistake. We saved the man they were robbing, but we did it by making them focus all their attention on us. They surrounded us, and they were about to do us in for getting in the way. I grabbed Hope’s hand, closed my eyes, and readied myself for the end…

...But there was a flash, and a sound, and when I opened my eyes again, we weren’t there anymore. We were someplace complete different. Somehow, we just… teleported away from them. Can’t explain how it happened, but it did. We were confused at first, but we found out later, through my mum, that the situation we were both psychics, and that the whole situation “awakened” our psychic powers. We found out we can teleport by thinking about a nearby place, and we can make these weapons from out of thin air by just using our minds. Pretty cool, huh?

quote:

• What do you do for fun?

Whatever the drat hell I want. I do whatever feels good, and I don’t let things like “rules” or “laws” tie me down. Sometimes it’s shopping for clothes or records, sometimes it’s a visit to the local clubs, and sometimes it’s something a little more… illegal, let’s say. I could be a “proper” little girl, and obey the status quo, just like everybody else, but where’s the fun in that? What’s the point of living life if you aren’t going to live it to the fullest? I want to be free to be who I am, and do what I want, without anything chaining me down, and if you don’t like it, then you can go tell it to someone who gives a drat about what you think.

quote:

• Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

My mum. You probably know her better as Mistress Fate. She’s one of the teachers here, and she’s also the reason why I’m here in the first place. Mum thinks I’m “wasting away” my potential- whatever that means- and that bringing me here would help “shape” me up. It’s all a big waste of time, if you ask me. Why do we even need a school to learn how to be heroes? But I didn’t have much of a choice. My mum’s also got psychic powers, and hers are stronger than mine, so just teleporting away wasn’t much of an option, so, here I am, whether I like it or not.

quote:

Oi, what are you trying to say? I’m not “trying” to be a hero, I am a hero, you dig? I just do things my own way, and sometimes those ways involving breaking the law, but who gives a drat so long as the day is saved. I know I’ve got a reputation as a troublemaker, and most see me as nothing but a bad egg, but I’m not heartless. There’s nothing I hate more than seeing bullies push around people weaker than them, and when I see something wrong happening right in front of me, you better believe I’m going to do something about it.

quote:

It’s fun to be around them. Well, most of them. If I’m going to be stuck in a boring, stodgy old school, I might as well hang around people who’ll make things less boring.

quote:

Hero Name: Silver
Look: Woman, white, laughing eyes, stylish clothing, no costume

Abilities:
❑ Teleportation
❑ Psychic weapons

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +0
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves:
❑ Criminal mind:
When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
- What here is useful or valuable to me?
- How could I best infuriate or provoke _ _ _ _ _ _ _?
- What's the best way in/way past?

❑ Troublemaker:
When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking action, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

❑ Are you watching closely?:
When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7- 9, choose two.
- You get an opportunity
- You expose a weakness or flaw
- You confuse them for some time
- You avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you're hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Relationships:
You keep trying to impress _ _ _ _ _ _ _ with your antics.
You and _ _ _ _ _ _ _ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence:
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 24, 2019

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
NVM, redacting interest. Can't come up with anything.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 21, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Interest post, skeleton of an app coming later today.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Why yes I do feel like more Masks.

Harbinger in process.

Heya! Call me Ted!

Two-fisted all natural fighting hero of the decade, that's me alright! I've come over from old blighty to fight the embuggerance of the red threat and other such ne'er do wells and arseholes, and I am here to represent all that is good and British in the attempt!

I am Lance Corporal Theodore Madden of the Neo Scotland Yard Chronocrimes division. And boy am I in some real trouble right now.

Lucky Ted, the Harbinger

• How did you travel from the future to the present day?

With a time machine invented in my home year of 20XX of course! No? You want a better answer? Okay.

I am part of an extremely specialist division of Interpol that focuses specifically on Chrono-Anomalous related offenses committed in the timeline, or I guess you could call them 'time crimes'. So yeah I'm a time cop, whenever someone tries to pull the old 'I'll go back in time with this week's lottery numbers and buy a ticket to make myself rich' con, we're there to slap the cuffs on. Stealing ancient artifacts? It's our job to make sure they get put back, or at least replaced with a near-perfect copy so it won't upset the time-stream until we get the original back. Assassinating political leaders to somehow stop what ever thing they want to prevent? Not on our watch arsehole, they'll die at their intended time and not before! So we have the tech, and essentially it functions as a strict two way system in that we can go to any place in the past but we must always return to the present before another jump.

It's a controlled science that if taken with a lot of precautions and checks before you jump is perfectly safe. Except when circumstances beyond your control force you to do the opposite of a safe jump, like I did.

• What keeps you from returning to the future?

Because guess what, the future in which I come from technically doesn't exist anymore, because some clown-boat bugger is messing up the time-stream! Like gently caress, it was just another day at the office and we get the call that the entire city of Calgary just up and vanished, not just the city but everyone from it and everyone who was even born there just ceased to exist and then we started getting reports that other cities were disappearing too. Normally the timeline is resilient enough to take a few divergences before they affect the future immediately but if you have large scale disappearances like this occurring around the globe? That's a bad sign, it means you're looking at a Class S Catastrophic level timeline diversion and if the reports we are getting are accurate it might even be a Class S+ Apocalyptic timeline diversion.

A possible human extinction event has occurred somewhere in or around 196X and I can't go back until the timeline is stable enough to allow it. The fact that I arrived here with all my arms and legs intact and not inside a mountain somewhere was a small miracle in itself, we don't 'blind jump' for a good reason.

• Why don’t you have perfect recollection of the future?

Our round the clock dimensional hopping databases is what allows us to pick up the stuff that happens far in the past in the first place, it flashes up a thing like 'Oh the Reconquista never happened what the poo poo?' And we send people back in time to investigate it. And the cool thing is it's all on a handy little device designed to work with a chip in our brain to let us track and monitor that without all that information overload headache thing.

But it kind of requires that we have a database connection to the servers at home which is kind of hard to get when the future is getting erased, connection is sporadic and because this hit us so fast we don't even know what exactly changed in the timeline before this event happened, we need all hands on deck right now just to keep history from overwriting itself. So we have what we have here is essentially, the technological equivalent of hunting for a mobile phone signal in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in the hopes that you can get your sat-nav to work, because that's the only way you are getting home.

• What is the most important part of your future that you want to avert?

The part where it's going to not happen, that's the big one. Think about this for 5 seconds, human history all as of right now stops right around 196X and it wasn't supposed to, that by default means a selection of things have occurred.

1) Something important that was meant to happen didn't happen. Or that wasn't supposed to happen did happen. And considering the time we are in, that's a lot of possible things.
2) History doesn't break on its own, there is someone here in this current time right now who wishes the absolute destruction of the world. Or worse, they don't even know the damage they are causing and they're just a bumblefuck with a 'just cause' or a mad grudge. Stuff like that is why the Chronocrimes division was formed in the first place, you can't play fast and loose with history.
3) By the apparent scale of the damage, this is far beyond what a normal person with a time machine can do. Either this potential suspect is frighteningly powerful, or he has a large amount of people working for him, possibly even both of these things. And we should have dealt with anyone with that capability a long, long time ago.

There is an unidentified dangerous maniac running around in this time period, and I can't go back until I put a stop to them.

• Why must you join this team specifically to achieve your mission’s goals?

Because the one thing we did get from this mess before we had to blind fling an officer (Me) back in time try and find the culprit? A lot of the incident seems to be tied to this school right here, and these junior heroes are somehow an important piece in the proceedings and well gently caress it! We're on a tight schedule, we have one lead and Lance Corporal Theodore Madden is the only person old enough to be inserted into this academy under a fake pseudonym without arousing too much suspicion because the future is doomed if I don't stick with these guys.

So yeah no pressure.

quote:

Hero Name: Lucky Ted
Look: Man, white, optimistic face, simple clothing, sleek costume

Abilities: Optimized biology - "You know what's cool? Removing all human limitations for strength, speed, endurance and intelligence without cybernetics. Also immunity to the common cold, we finally cracked that little bastard after all these years"

Labels:
Danger 0
Freak 0
Savior +2
Superior +2
Mundane -1

Moves:

I learned the solution in grade school:
When you unleash your powers to extend your senses or overcome an intellectual obstacle, you may roll + Superior instead of + Freak.

21st 20th century studies:
When you assess the situation, you may always ask “what does the future know about this moment?”, even on a miss. You take +1 ongoing to act on the answers.

Connecting the Dots
You’re from the future, but your knowledge of the past is spotty, intermittent, confused, jumbled. You’re doing your best to put together the clues and your broken memories, though, so you can figure out how this world and its people become the ones you know.

When you push yourself to remember the version of someone that exists in your future, mark a condition and roll + Memories. On a hit, you connect who they are now to who they are in the future; choose the role that they fulfill in the future, and the GM will tell you about their future self. On a 10+, ask a follow-up question. On a miss, they’re not at all who you thought they would be; the GM will choose their role, or tell you that as far as you know, they don’t exist in the future.

Monster: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Traitor: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Corruptor: _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Martyr: _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Builder: _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Leader: _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Your Memories score starts at -1, and goes up by 1 (to a maximum of +3) for each name above.

When you write a name above, they gain Influence over you if they did not already have it.

At the start of each session, roll + Savior to find out how your investigations into the timeline have been going. On a 10+, you found a strong lead; choose one figure noted above or one aspect of the future world you can remember, and the GM will reveal to you clear detail on the path that leads to their future form. On a 7-9, you found a lead; choose one figure above or one aspect of the future world and the GM will tell you what lead you have to learn more about their path. On a miss, you’re lost in the present; the GM will tell you how things are so different here, and shift your Labels according to how it makes you feel.

Moment of Truth:
Everything you do could affect the future. For all you know, the fact that you saved that one guy that one time means that now the future is full of pterodactyls. The connections, the ripples, they’re always so hard to track, and you’re still not sure if you’ve helped or hurt—not really. Until now. Now, in this moment, it’s all clear. You can see the course of events laid out before you like a river, and you know exactly what you have to do here, now, to ensure the future outcome you want. You can reshape the future with perfect certainty. Of course, after this, you’ve changed enough of the timeline to invalidate your prior research—reset all the names in your “Connecting the dots” section.

Team Moves:
When you confess to a teammate the difference between what you thought they would be and what they really are, add a Team to the pool, and ask them if you represent a future they’d want. If they say yes, mark potential. If they say no, mark a condition.

When you share a tale of future loss with someone, ask them if they think you have the ability to avert that loss. If they believe you do, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they don’t, mark Guilty and shift one Label up and one Label down (your choice)

We averted a disaster from the future’s history books. What was the disaster? What effect do we hope it had on the timeline?

Relationships:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ turns away from the hero’s path, according to your history books. You have to prevent that from happening.
You’ve always looked up to _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, but it’s too awkward to admit it to them now that you’ve met them in real life. Keep it cool, keep it cool.

Influence:
Every member of your team has the power to change the future—your future. Give everyone influence over you.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 26, 2019

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Pandora, the Outsider

High Concept: How does a person coming from a culture with Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism deal with the Red Scare?

<A series of images cascade through your mind. A ship, unlike anything you've seen before, cutting through the stars. Flashes of azure and indigo light lance towards the ship from an unknown source. Explosions. The ship rips open a hole in space and time, tumbling through uncontrolled. North America. A streak of light cuts through the sky, angling down into the desert wastes below. A pod is launched, deep into the earth, cloaking itself in protective camouflage. A plume of dirt, rock, and vegetation, a furrow cut into the desert. The wrecked ship is quickly taken by the government. Years pass, days blurring together as the sun forms a continuous line in the sky. An expedition unearths the pod, taking it to the site of Phoenix Academy. Sensors study it, as do varied scientists, before one finally manages to activate the locking mechanism. A young woman, surrounded by floating devices, stumbles out. She looks upon the cold walls of the laboratory, curious, as a number of strange figures observe her.>

quote:

• Where do you come from?

<A brief moment of mental static, then a voice echoes in your head.>

Has the link been established? Ah! Yes, good-good. I am <You are suddenly thinking of the color blue, as well as filled with a sense of nostalgia.>, but I suppose that's difficult for your kind to reproduce. Perhaps... Aha! Call me Pandora, yes? My people, the <You feel a brief sense of connection with the world, as though your ego has vanished.>, make their home amongst what you've termed Pandora's Cluster. It is an unfathomable distance from here, particularly for your limited conception of travel, but that is no matter!

This city of yours, the one most Halcyon, has opened my eyes to many things I have not ever seen before! The thoughts of so many, with so many more purposes... perhaps some might label this anathema, but it is quite charming! How can you accomplish such sights without unity of being? I must find out what secret allows it!

quote:

• Why did you come to Earth?

I believe the message might have been muddled by my attempts to unify our thought processes, but my vessel was attacked by the <A shadowy legion, surrounded by a sense of palpable hunger.>. Our peoples have never been aligned, in thought nor purpose, but this attack was a surprise. I was simply visiting some of our outer posts and thought-centers! The emergency transit system malfunctioned and, instead of returning me to my point of origin, sent me many megaparsecs from known space!

quote:

• Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

This place is like nothing that exists among my people! It is truly a unique experience, one that I will surely savor, and one that possesses great import to the group-mind as a whole. Surely our peoples can learn much from one another! There is also the small matter of not having an understanding of what is become of my ship, of course, but I cannot imagine it will stay hidden for long. If I call, will it not answer? Do you not do the same with your conveyances?

quote:

• Why do your people want you to come home?

We have a strong sense of community, perhaps to the point that you cannot comprehend. My absence is a hole, small but noticeable, in the great weave of the group-mind. Without my mind-voice once more filling that void, it will never vanish. It would not be the first, not at all, but the first in many, many years. Not since the great becoming, when we broke free from the yolk of our oppressors, have we experienced such loss.

quote:

<A brief, confusing mass of voices. It is the most interesting sound you've ever heard.>

There are so many thoughts and feelings! I cannot help but suspect that my best hopes of understanding your strange people lie with this group. Is it not true that one can come to understand a whole from the parts?

quote:

Hero Name: Pandora
Real Name: (No verbal equivalent, a thought that evokes the color blue and a sense of nostalgia)
Look: Woman, Neon Body, Glowing Eyes, Mismatched Clothing, No Costume

Abilities: Can Fly, Pretty Tough, Alien Weaponry, Telepathy and Mind Blasts

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak +2
Savior +0
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Moves:
The best of them: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of Earth, roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.
Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.
Not so different after all: When you talk about your home, roll + Freak. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one. During the conversation, you:
- confess a flaw of your home; add 1 Team to the pool
- mislead them about your home; take Influence over them
- describe the glories of your home; clear a condition
On a miss, you inadvertently reveal more about yourself than you planned; tell them a secret or vulnerability you haven’t shared with Earthlings before now.

Moment of Truth:
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships:
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence:
Choose your demeanor: haughty or cheerful.
If you’re haughty, you think you’re better than them. Give no one Influence.
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 23, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

• What tragedy or disaster led to you gaining your abilities?

Well, mah brother Leroy was on leave, came back to the farm for a couple o' weeks. We was out huntin' boar, when this big nasty ol' bastard came right for me. I had him in my sights, though. Shoulda been a right clean kill, 'cept the drat shotgun jammed. Tore me drat near from stem to stern.

Bless 'im, Leroy wasn't just some grunt, he was part o' some "super soldier" program. 'splains how he got so ripped, anyway. He had some sort o' shot, supposed to take it once a day. Well, he done carried me back to the barn while I was holdin' mah guts in, and gave me about a' dozen of those little buggers. Got the whiskey, sewed me right up. I swear, I thought I was a goner, but sure 'nuf, woke up the next morning just fine. I guess I wasn't exactly at a hunnerd percent, but I was still kickin'.

• What inspired you to officially join A.E.G.I.S.?

So, after mah "incident", as they call it, he was out o' his juice 'n I was still hurtin'. So we headed over to Fort Polk, 'bout a half day's drive. He got chewed out up one side 'n down the other, and I got taken to some lab there. 'parently that stuff shoulda killed me. But it dinn't. As I was still a couple years shy of bein' able t' enlist, I got given a couple o' options to choose from. Goin' home tweren't one of 'em. Bein' a lab rat didn't seem like much fun, n' Leroy didn't seem none pleased about gettin' shipped to 'nam, even as an errand boy, so I went with the Eggis doctor lady. She was real nice.

• What does A.E.G.I.S. do for the world that no one else can?

Well, we ain't the only ones with serums and laser guns 'n poo poo. The drat commies are doin' it too. 'n who knows what the goddamn krauts are doin'. They say them nazis is all dead n' gone, but I seen the reports. There's some o' them in Argentinia or Brazzil or somewhere. We's gotta keep everybody else safe from that nonsense.

• Who, outside of A.E.G.I.S. and the team, connects you to the civilian world?

I see see mah best friend Jimmy sometimes. His family farm is just across th' swamp from us. He's real smart, studying math and physicists 'n stuff. He gots a scholarship to another school across town, real fancy science poo poo.

Life is like a boar hunt, ya see. Ya do yer homework, get your gear, ya think ya know what you're doin', but life has other plans. A gun jams, a goddamn copperhead falls out of a tree in front of ya, that log you was plannin on jumpin' on turns out t' have a gator next to it. These kids, they're good. I reckon' most of 'em are gonna be better 'n me. But ain't none of 'em ever been on a boar hunt. I'm th' one who's gon keep 'em alive long enough to save the world. Me n' Veronica here.

quote:

Hero Name: Razorback
Look: Man, White, Simple Clothing, Military Uniform

Abilities: Superstrength and durability, A signature weapon

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak 0
Savior +2
Superior +2
Mundane +0
Soldier +2

Moves:
Before we get started:
When you have time to closely observe your opposition before a fight, roll + Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and mark a condition. During the fight, you can spend your hold to name a character you observed and…:
• …redirect their attack to another character or nowhere—into a wall or the sky.
• …cross a distance between them and you.
• …stun them, close up or from a distance.
• …ignore all harm from one of their attacks.
• …escape any bindings or impediments they attempt to place on you.

More than a shield:
When you directly engage a threat by heading directly into danger withour regard for your own safety, roll with Savior instead of Danger. On a miss, your focused attack leaves someone in grave danger; the GM will tell you what it takes to keep them safe.

A Higher Calling…
You work for a metahuman law enforcement agency (A.E.G.I.S.) that keeps the world safe from all
manner of superhuman, supernatural, and extraterrestrial threats. You volunteered to work with a
team of young superheroes as part of a new A.E.G.I.S. program designed to keep Halcyon City safe.

Soldier functions like any other Label. Characters with Influence over you can shift it, and you mark a condition if it would ever shift above +3 or below -2. You can only cancel the influence A.E.G.I.S. holds over you with the appropriate advancement. You cannot lock Soldier with a Moment of Truth.

When you’re acting on orders and relying on your training, give A.E.G.I.S. influence to use Soldier instead of any other Label when you make a basic or playbook move.

When you invoke your authority over civilians, Halcyon City personnel, or A.E.G.I.S. staff, roll + Soldier. On a hit, your words carry weight. On a 7-9, someone will push back against your instructions or orders…sooner rather than later. On a miss, your attempts to control the situation create an opportunity for your enemies within A.E.G.I.S. to act against you.

When you ask A.E.G.I.S. for additional resources, equipment, or information during a mission, roll + Soldier. On a hit, they’ll resupply you as best they can. On a 10+, the resources are highly classified or experimental; take +1 ongoing to deploying them throughout the mission. On a miss, A.E.G.I.S. sends what they think you need, regardless of what you actually requested.

Moment of Truth:
Freedom isn’t free. But not every mission ends in tragedy. When things look bleakest, when your back is against the wall, when it seems like the dawn will never come…you find a way forward without violence. Your enemies lay down their arms and surrender; your allies step back from the brink of chaos. Of course, the people you’ve saved aren’t going to forget what you’ve done here today; they may even come to see you as a symbol of the higher cause you claim to serve…

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them what they need to do to achieve their full potential. If they accept your advice, take Influence over them and add two Team to the pool. If they reject what you have to say, mark a condition.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them what cause they serve. If you find it to be a worthy cause, tell them how you will fight for it, clear a condition, and add a Team to the pool. If they don’t have a cause (or you find it unworthy), mark a condition.

Our victory secured an important resource for A.E.G.I.S. What was it?

Relationships:
___________ is crucial to the long-term success of A.E.G.I.S. I must protect them.
___________ isn’t always thrilled with the way A.E.G.I.S. handles things. I’ve come to value their critiques, even if I don’t agree with them.

Influence:
Respect is earned, soldier. Tell two of your teammates what they did to earn your esteem and give them Influence. Everyone else will have to match their efforts.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 21, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Might app.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Kinda tempted to app, let's see if I can come up with an idea.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Interest post, probably a Transformed.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Interest post, app further down below

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 20, 2019

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Probably going to compete for Outsider, unless I don't.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Blackstar the Harbinger

quote:

How did you travel from the future to the present day?

It was supposed to be a simple training mission from the Academy. Get dropped off in the wilderness kilometres from anywhere and then you have to make your way back any way you can. No electronics, it's meant to be a test of your survival skills. I hated it from the start and that's before I got lost. I'm a city girl, my idea of roughing it is skipping my morning cup of synthkaf, So there I am wandering around in circles in the woods when I come across this abandoned bunker. Looked like it had been empty since the invasion but I figured hey, maybe I could find a map or at least some supplies that might have been left there.

Instead I found something way worse. The upper levels were deserted sure. But as I got lower and lower down things looked more and more like someone was living here. Out in the middle of nowhere. Imagine my shock when I burst into what looked like a fully equipped lab in the basement. A lab occupied by Dr Mobius no less! You have no idea who that is do you? Look let's just say he's 4th on AEGIS's most wanted list and leave it at that. "I don't know how you tracked me to my secret lair hero, on the eve of my greatest triumph. But now it's time to die!" With that he snatched up a Gatling Laser and opened fire on me. Shame for him I can absorb laser blasts. Unfortunately I don't have the best control over my powers so I reflected them straight back into the generator he was stood next to us. "You fool you've destroyed my Chornoton generator." Only I hadn't I'd damaged it, and it started leaking before I could respond. I took a burst of energy from it. Somehow it reacted with my unique physiology and I ended up dislocated in time and space. And I thought my day couldn't get any worse.

quote:

What keeps you from returning to the future?

Not a lot actually, I'd only have to jump-start societies research into research into time-travel by what about 60? 70? years, synthesise several elements that I'm pretty sure haven't been discovered yet and calculate the 4th dimensional math necessary to put me in the right place and time on computers less advanced than the toy communicator i had when I was three years old. I should have it all done by next week maybe a fortnight tops. Oh by the way in the future we invented this thing called sarcasm you might want to get used to it.

I might be able to cobble together some sort of distress beacon that'll let the staff back in my time know what happened to me. That's if I can get the resources I need. But we're talking the kind of resources only a government would have, and they're not gonna talk to some random Chiquita who claims to be from the future. I'll need to persuade an established hero of some sort to put in a good word for me.

quote:

Why don’t you have perfect recollection of the future?

It's the Quantum Cockroach effect. The world is a large and heavily interconnected place. Even the most basic change like a cockroach changing the direction it's crawling along the ground at the Angeles crater can cause an earthquake in Ulan Bator. Just by being here I've already affected the timeline. And the more I do the more changes I make the further from "my future" we get. I mean we're not talking about massive changes not yet. But things are already changing and according to the theory what happens is that the timeline starts to self- correct and for a while I'll have cognitive dissonance between what I remember happening and what actually happened. Eventually though all I'll remember is the new time line. It's more than a little scary. What if I forget something that makes me who I am? Maybe I should start writing a diary or something about what I remember?

quote:

What is the most important part of your future that you want to avert?

Well I was going to warn you about some German guy. Hiller? something like that. Who's going to take over Germany and start a massive war that gets a lot of people killed. But it turns out I'm 20 odd years late for that one. Look I didn't exactly get the best marks in 20th Century history ok? Still i'm pretty sure about one thing. In a few years a scouting fleet from Kilthraxi is going to turn up. They're an alien race that has some sort of weird relation between fighting and religion "to fight is to display the soul of yourself" or some crap like that. Anyway they try to test themselves against earths mightiest heroes. Which goes great until their leader is assassinated by one of your villains. Then the gloves come off and it stops being a gentlemanly challenge and they start dropping BFR's on us. BFR's? Oh sorry, Big Freaking Rocks there's a lot of big cities around now that won't be after that. So Humanity starts pulling out all the stops. And well the Kilthraxi aren't around any more. It's one of the biggest stains on our history and if I can prevent it I probably should. Even if it does screw with the timeline .

quote:

Why must you join this team specifically to achieve your mission’s goals?

Are you kidding? These guys and girls and things of indeterminate gender. They are the examples, the first generation of modern heroes. The touchstones. When people are facing a difficult dilemma they ask what would Hero X do? Every 30-40 years someone will be condemned as the New Hero Y? There's all sorts of myths and legends surrounding them So if I want to get the help I need to win over the most influential heroes of the generation. I need to gain their trust and their respect. I just wish I knew which of the many stories about them were true.

quote:

Hero Name: Blackstar
Look: Woman, Black, Average face, casual clothing, Hi-tech Costume

Abilities: Energy absorption and redirection

Labels:
Danger 0
Freak 0
Savior +2
Superior +2
Mundane -1

Moves:

Stick to the mission:When you defend someone or something critically important to the future (tell us why), you may mark a condition to shift down one Label and shift up Savior before the roll. If you do, you cannot choose to clear a condition for the defend move.

Applied history:When you pierce the mask of someone you believe will shape the future, roll + Savior instead of +Mundane.

Connecting the Dots
You’re from the future, but your knowledge of the past is spotty, intermittent, confused, jumbled. You’re doing your best to put together the clues and your broken memories, though, so you can figure out how this world and its people become the ones you know.

When you push yourself to remember the version of someone that exists in your future, mark a condition and roll + Memories. On a hit, you connect who they are now to who they are in the future; choose the role that they fulfill in the future, and the GM will tell you about their future self. On a 10+, ask a follow-up question. On a miss, they’re not at all who you thought they would be; the GM will choose their role, or tell you that as far as you know, they don’t exist in the future.

Monster: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Traitor: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Corruptor: _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Martyr: _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Builder: _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Leader: _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Your Memories score starts at -1, and goes up by 1 (to a maximum of +3) for each name above.

When you write a name above, they gain Influence over you if they did not already have it.

At the start of each session, roll + Savior to find out how your investigations into the timeline have been going. On a 10+, you found a strong lead; choose one figure noted above or one aspect of the future world you can remember, and the GM will reveal to you clear detail on the path that leads to their future form. On a 7-9, you found a lead; choose one figure above or one aspect of the future world and the GM will tell you what lead you have to learn more about their path. On a miss, you’re lost in the present; the GM will tell you how things are so different here, and shift your Labels according to how it makes you feel.

Moment of Truth:
Everything you do could affect the future. For all you know, the fact that you saved that one guy that one time means that now the future is full of pterodactyls. The connections, the ripples, they’re always so hard to track, and you’re still not sure if you’ve helped or hurt—not really. Until now. Now, in this moment, it’s all clear. You can see the course of events laid out before you like a river, and you know exactly what you have to do here, now, to ensure the future outcome you want. You can reshape the future with perfect certainty. Of course, after this, you’ve changed enough of the timeline to invalidate your prior research—reset all the names in your “Connecting the dots” section.

Team Moves:
When you confess to a teammate the difference between what you thought they would be and what they really are, add a Team to the pool, and ask them if you represent a future they’d want. If they say yes, mark potential. If they say no, mark a condition.

When you share a tale of future loss with someone, ask them if they think you have the ability to avert that loss. If they believe you do, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they don’t, mark Guilty and shift one Label up and one Label down (your choice)

We averted a disaster from the future’s history books. What was the disaster? What effect do we hope it had on the timeline?

Relationships:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ turns away from the hero’s path, according to your history books. You have to prevent that from happening.
You’ve always looked up to _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, but it’s too awkward to admit it to them now that you’ve met them in real life. Keep it cool, keep it cool.

Influence:
Every member of your team has the power to change the future—your future. Give everyone influence over you.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 23, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Enigma

You don't know my father's name. But you know my father.

My father was Mister Mystery.

The Mister Mystery, yes. The Man Who Wasn't There.

Mister Mystery, the Man Who Wasn't There, Famous detective, vigilante and whistleblower. Wanted by several governments, both communist and capitalist.
Currently serving as teacher of English and Literature at Phoenix Academy under one of several false identities.

You don't know his name, though. Rhys Driscoll, Welsh immigrant to New York.

Well...okay, maybe you do. Because...yes. He was the labor activist. ...yeah, that one. And...y;know, now he's the, uh, literature teacher.

That's why we didn't spend a lot of time there...my father's a pretty old guy. He and my mom met late in his life, when Dad was doing the whole man-of-mystery schtick, tracking some stuff happening in China. My mother's someone he met on the Russian-Chinese border. Somewhere in Mongolia. She was a scholar that got in trouble for her work on...well, basically, he had to save her from the Red Terror. Not that she wasn't Communist herself, just - a different kind. And yes, I know it's dangerous to tell you that. I don't care. We're not exactly an easy family to trace.

How did you first meet your mentor?

Well...he's my dad. I did mention.

When and why did you choose to train with them?

When I was ten he started teaching me detective work, while Mom taught me traditional archery. I didn't really think much about it, though, until I was thirteen and they sat me down and explained why we traveled so much, why people were so often angry about them, the whole thing. I decided I wanted to be able to help, because...well, my parents are both pretty old. They had me late. And Dad's work is really important. Someone has to be the voice that finds the truth, even when people don't want to hear it.

Batya Driscoll, better known as the Falcon, Mister Mystery's bodyguard and companion.
Currently serving as Political Science teacher at Phoenix Academy under a false identity.

Why did they agree to train you?

I'm pretty sure being his son helped.

Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

Dad doesn't like to let people in a lot. But...well, Julie Rosenberg has been helping me out. Her grandmother was a reporter back when Dad started getting active, and they worked together sometimes. Helped take down some Nazi schemes and reveal some stuff that Ford was up to that was...not good. So Dad trusts Julie, and he's let me show her some of what the whole Mystery thing is about. Julie's cool, she's helped me out some too. I might be an excellent detective, but I don't have her charm, that's for sure.

Why do you care about the team?

Because they're willing to fight for what's true. They're not afraid of it - or afraid to question people in charge. Question everything, Dad says. And...well, they've even helped me see things Dad wasn't able to.

quote:

Hero Name: Enigma
Look: Man, Mixed Race, Lean Body, Casual Clothes, Protective Wear

Powers
Shared Ability: Detective Skills
Own Ability: Impossible Fighting Skills
Mentor's Ability: Intimidation and Fear

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak +0
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves:
Been Reading the Files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Fireside Chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

Be Mindful of Your Surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Moment of Truth:
The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How'd we keep in contact?

Relationships:
You and _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ teamed up a few times from before the rest of you came together.
Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

Influence:
Choose your demeanor: playful or business.
If you choose playful, give Influence to two teammates.
If you choose business, give Influence to no teammates.

Mentor: Mister Mystery
Embodies: Superior
Denies: Danger

Resources
Choose up to three resources that your mentor gave you and the team:
Surveillence Equipment, a Chem Lab, False Identities

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 21, 2019

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

source: [1], [2]

Hero Name: Avery the Grey

-Backstory-

Who or what brought you to the present? posted:

It was just after the war ended - we'd won, the Japs had surrendered and Pa was coming home! I was so excited to see him again, and Ma had booked us on a victory cruise - on the SS Anemone, no less! We were just leaving port when one of the other boats started glowing, and glowing, and then this great blue expanding field started coming from it and growing towards us. It enveloped half the ship, and was so bright I had to close my eyes and bam, next thing I know there's this ringing in my ears and I've got one foot over thin air since half the ship just up and vanished and before I know it all I can see is the water approaching fast and I'm falling.

When did you first meet your future self? posted:

Wouldya believe it when I said they were the one who found me and took me in when I washed ashore? 'cuz... yeah, there I was lyin' on the beach all half-dead and soaked to the bone and here comes this fella, white hair and purple eyes just like mine who helps me up. As it turns out they come here often, mostly 'cuz it's the same place their parents disappeared over two decades ago, on that same boat... the SS Anemone.

Yeah, reckon it was 'bout then that we realized we were each other. They asked me a buncha questions back at their hideout after letting me get dried up and changed, which... it was real nice of them. I'm not sure if it was just because they were me and I were they or because I was on that boat, but... I stayed for a while.

How is your future self the embodiment of a future you never wanted? posted:

They're... scary. I 'unno, it's kinda hard to explain. It's like... like they've got all this hate and misery in their heart, yanno? And they've chosen to take it out on, on everyone, on the country and on society. I know that's who they blame for what happened, but Uncle Sam wouldn't do something like that... right? And besides, they can't just be gone! I know Pa and Ma have been gone for a while, for them - I miss them too, really - but I'm sure they're out there somewhere! They gotta be! And even then! That's nio e

What is your favorite part of life in the future? Your least favorite part? posted:

I grew up during the war, so, yeah. Everything's changed a lot! It's so much brighter and colorful and, more, here, yanno? Like, I can go out, take a car, and eat out at a diner! Back then they were all closed 'cuz of the rationing and U-boats and all.

And yet... it's as if the war ended, but it never... ended. Does that make sense? It's like we've just replaced the Japs and Krauts with the Reds, yanno? Everyone's still living in fear like none of the hate or the wartime spirit's gone away.

Why are you determined to stay in the present with this team? posted:

I mean, other than the fact that I don't really got a way back? I've gotta find Pa and Ma, for one, they're still out there somewhere - they were on the half of the boat that just turned up, and even if I was the only one on the actual boat if the Anemone's here they gotta be here somewhere! Plus, it's so... different here, so much brighter. Ma always told me the future'd be better tomorrow, and, yeah, I can see myself gettin' used to this place.

-Look-

ambiguous, woman
white
hopeful, bright & chipper face
haphazard clothing
reflective, gaudy costume

-Time Period-

2nd gen 1940s, early supers, fought ww2/mad science

-Labels-

Danger +0
Freak +1
Savior +1
Superior -1
Mundane +2

-Abilities-

Elemental Control (Trash)

-Relationships-

__________________ is helping me understand this weirdo future. I follow their lead.
I saved someone important to __________________; they’re now my biggest defender.

-Influence-

These people are your guides, your friends, and the ones helping you find a better way. But you are careful about whose guidance you follow. Give Influence over you to two teammates.

-Innocent Moves-

What’s this thing?: When you ask for someone else’s guidance on the modern world, they must tell you what they think you should do or how you should act. If you act that way, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down. If you act that way and it goes poorly, mark potential.

Martyr: When you take a powerful blow while defending someone or something, you may shift Savior up and any other Label down.

-Your Future Self-

Your future self is out there, an important figure in Halcyon City and the world beyond - and everything you’d hoped you’d never be. But finding out how they became who they are may be all it takes to push you along a similar path. Pick one step of your future self ’s path that you already know about, and circle it.

() They lost someone they cared about deeply

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 24, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Katsu Sato, the Bull

quote:

Who changed you?

My parents were scientists for the U.S. government. After World War II ended they began working with Project Rust, a government program that made super soldiers for the purpose of taking out the Soviet Union and eliminating the Iron Curtain. When my parents were killed, I was told the communists working against the U.S. and Project Rust were responsible but I might be able to help avenge their deaths if I went through the program.

So I did. I'm not as smart as my parents were, so I don't know the specifics of what they did. They used a combination of training and some kind of serum to make me into a living weapon.

quote:

How did you escape from them?

I was sent after Hans Jaeger, a man who was described as being a traitor who was leaking information of Project Rust to the enemy. They said he had given up my parents to the organizations working against us and they were targeted so as to weaken Project Rust. He was attempting to flee to Halcyon City and I was supposed to stop him. Kill him actually. I managed to find him and had him at my mercy...but I couldn't do it. Even with the training, the things they did to make me superhuman, the fact that he was responsible for my parent's death...I just couldn't kill someone.

Then he told me that he had proof that the people leading Project Rust were lying about what was going on, that they were making super soldiers to use as mercenaries and assassins to the highest bidder. That he and my parents had talked and realized what was going on, and were making plans to act against them. He showed me letters, written in their handwriting. Photos of them hanging out and a few where they were doing some kind of work. He told me things a stranger wouldn't know, but a friend of theirs would.

And I realized he was right.

quote:

Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

I brought Mr. Jaeger to Halcyon, and he told me about the academy. Said he was hoping to use what he knew to do work that could be used for the good of mankind, and that this school would help train me to do the same if I wanted. He could get me in through knowing the headmaster. I agreed, and while he doesn't teach there he does look after me now. I never asked him to do that, but he seems to view it as a duty he's happy to carry out.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?

My parents died trying to do the right thing. I have powers that make me harder to kill then regular people, I can do the right thing and make the world better like they and Mr. Jaeger want too.

quote:

There's not much for us outside the school. We have to stick together. We have to make it work, if we want the future to be a better place then it is now.

quote:

Look: Man, Asian, calloused hands, casual clothing, simple costume

Abilities: Someone or something changed you, made you into a perfect weapon: superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting. Decide how each of those abilities manifests.

Superhumanly tough: Katsu has accelerated healing and can withstand large amounts of pain. The armor he wears helps too.

Incredibly strong: Katsu has superhuman strength.

Uniquely skilled at fighting: Katsu is trained in using all kinds of weapons and unarmed combat, making improvised weapons out of whatever's around, and being able to take on large numbers of enemies by himself

Labels

Danger +3, Freak +1 Savior -1, Superior +1, Mundane -1

Moves:

You’ve got a head you don’t need: When you provoke someone with obvious threats and shows of force, roll + Danger instead of +Superior.

In a china shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

The Bull's Heart

You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love:
Rival:

Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Moment of Truth

This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

Relationships

_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence

You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

When our team first came together…

We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 22, 2019

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Posting interest as a Delinquent, hopefully will have a sheet up in a day or two.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Red Star (Volodymyr Lazarenko), the Doomed.

I think a game set in the 1960s needs at least one Good Commie Bastard. Here's a Russian from a no-longer-possible Good Future who's racing to prevent a superhero from starting the nuclear war that makes his timeline stop existing.

quote:

When did you first learn of your doom?

I come from a better world. A kinder world. A world where most of the people of the United States and the Soviet Union were able to set aside their differences and live in peace and understanding. I learned of my doom the day that world and all worlds like it ceased to exist. Someone has changed the past, or rather, WILL change the past. When they did, or do, all timelines in which I exist are eradicated. But with the incredible mental powers I inherited from my parents, I did the impossible: I maintained my existence and threw myself into the new timeline by sheer force of will. I must constantly fight to keep myself here. I could once lift a mountain with my mind; now it is an act of agonizing concentration just to push someone aside.

quote:

Where did you get your sanctuary?

I enrolled myself in this school as part of my quest to stop the man who destroyed my timeline. I can't hope to stop him unless I make allies, and this forward-thinking academy is the only place I can think of to find heroes with tolerant attitudes towards Russia. The school offered spaces for students with... unstable abilities. I claimed that my abilities overwhelm me without regular meditation in a psy-isolated space and was assigned a single-person dormitory with an appropriate chamber. In reality, the chamber only reduces the psychic burden of keeping myself in existence, but I can't possibly explain the whole truth to older heroes and expect them to believe me. I also believe that in this time of paranoia, mentioning to anyone influential that all possible futures end in nuclear war only worsens those fears and makes my doom more likely, regardless of whether or not they believe me. My sanctuary here at the Phoenix Academy could be better: this special dormitory is prominent on the campus and the building is hardly reinforced against attack. But I've at least managed to turn it into something of a reminder of home, even if the Soviet music and art of this time is a little outdated by my standards.

quote:

Why do you oppose your nemesis?
There is a man in this timeline named Aaron Guzmann, known to most as Justice Eagle. He is a famous and powerful American hero from World War II, still widely respected. I alone know that he is losing his mind as he grows old. There is a sickness growing inside him, paranoia and nationalist hate, and he will soon make choices that will make full nuclear war between my homeland and the United States inevitable. When he travels back to the past using a stolen time device and assassinates the Soviet Premier, every living thing on Earth will be destroyed, and I will be wiped from existence. This timeline is a closed loop, and I must break it if any of us are to survive.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?

I must convince as many heroes as I can of Justice Eagle's deteriorating state. His ex-partner, the Shield of Liberty, teaches at this academy. I know other sidekicks and allies are still alive somewhere in the world, although many of them have gone into hiding or retired. I do not like killing; I would greatly prefer to save my nemesis. I do not believe he is beyond hope. I believe this timeline's paranoia and propaganda are eating away at him. He is still a good man, but he is a patriot, and he is becoming convinced that he can save America only by destroying the Soviet Union. If his friends can't talk him down, at least they can help me stop him.

quote:

Why does the team matter to you?

I cannot possibly do this alone. I stand no chance against Justice Eagle in a one-on-one fight, and he is politically untouchable. His heroism in Berlin earned him the eternal love of America and the grudging respect of the Soviet Union. No one would believe the ramblings of a mad Russian child, certainly not in this world of nuclear paranoia. From what I suspect of his mental state, I would only accelerate his madness if I contacted him directly with my story. My only hope is to either find evidence of what Justice Eagle is planning or to turn him away from his dark path, and to do that, I will need allies.

Truth be told, I suspect my struggle may be hopeless. But even if my timeline can never come to pass again, perhaps I can at least prevent a nuclear war before causality finally overtakes and destroys me. The world may never know peace like I knew, but I would settle for mankind's survival. To that end, I will live up to what my parents taught me: protect the innocent, and do the right thing, and you will leave the world a better place than when you entered it.

quote:

Hero Name: Red Star
Look: Man, White, Empty Eyes, Unassuming Clothing, No Costume

Abilities: Telekinesis, Psychic Constructs

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +1
Savior +2
Superior -1
Mundane +0

Doom (0/5):
What brings your doom closer? Whenever you bring your doom closer, mark one box on your doom track. When the track fills, clear it and take one of your Doomsigns. Once you have taken all 5 Doomsigns, you must take "Your Doom Arrives" the next time your doom track fills.
-Overexerting yourself
-Talking about it openly

Doomsigns:

Dark Visions: Mark your doom track to have a vision about the situation at hand. After the vision, ask the GM a question; they will answer it honestly.
Infinite Powers:
Portal:
Burning Bright:
Bolstered

Sanctuary:
You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. When you call upon the resources of your sanctuary to solve a problem, say what you want to do. The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfill to complete your solution.

Features: A containment system, a meditation space, art, music, and food.

Downsides: Location known to many, easily damaged or tampered with.

Nemesis:
You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It’s going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left.
Who is your nemesis? Justice Eagle, currently the most respected hero in the world.
At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend a Team from the pool to clear one box on your doom track.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they honestly think there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your doom track.

We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Relationships:
You told _______________ all about your doom and the danger you’re in.
You’d love to kiss ________________ before your doom comes.

Influence:
These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Kid 108, the Scion.

It's the sixties, Bruce Lee has or will make the Chauffeur's uniform+ domino mask an iconic heroic look

Backstory

quote:

Who is your supervillain parent?

Mom and Dad, the 108 Righteous, are phantom thieves. They run a scam, claiming to be a gang of 108 of the greatest thieves in the world, heirs of the lineage of the original 108 righteous bandits of Mount Liangshan, but that's all it is, a scam. It's just the two of them (plus me, when I was old enough to help) but they are really good at it. They've used it for years to convince people to send them money as brave freedom fighters against communism, but most of that money just goes to letting them gallivant around the world and perform elaborate heists. I mean, it's not a bad scam, and the original 108 would probably be proud. But they aren't exactly the greatest about target selection, and they definitely aren't the robin hoods they present themselves to the press as.

quote:

Who told you about your parents true nature?

My eyes, I guess? For a long time, they sold me the same bill of goods as they sold everyone else. Read me stories about the heroes of the Water Margin, told me that every theft was necessary to save the world. I even used to rope for them sometimes, when they had a mark on the line. And then they ditched me when they were about to get caught, and left me to get picked up by the capes. Which is how I ended up at this school, in the end.

quote:

Why did you decide to turn against your parents to become a hero?
I mean, I grew up thinking that what I was doing was the right thing. Helping to take down the greedy and corrupt who prey on people with no way to fight back. Now I just want to do that for real. There's a lot of people who deserve to be poorer, and a lot of looted artifacts in the hands of people who stole it from the original owner.

quote:

Who, outside the team, helps you on your chosen path?

The Torch Singer- you know, the glee club adviser? She was a villain's moll, back in the 40s and 50s, and managed to get out of the life and even go legit. She's sort of...aspirational, I guess? Proves that it's possible to do what I'm doing. Too bad I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

quote:

Why is the team important to you?

My parents faked being a gang for years, you know? It's sort of nice to actually have a lot of people around you who'll have your back when stuff goes wrong, and also who won't suddenly claim that they're sorry they fed you poison, they were temporarily possessed by the spirit of Sun the Witch and she's just like that sometimes.

quote:

Hero Name: Kid 108.
Real Name: Sam. He's not 100 percent sure what his last name is, because his parents rotate through different members of the 108 righteous bandits on a regular basis. This week, it's probably Lin.
Look: Asian, Taut body, casual clothing, makeshift costume.

Your lineage: You are the child of a true supervillain. You strive to be different than them, but they are a part of you.

What kind of villains are they: Master Thieves.
What is your rleationship with them like? Ever-shifting.
They have an array of abilities, assets and strengths. What are some of them? Superhuman martial prowess, Dark Sorcery, supremely honed skills
What abilities do you use to fight them? Mastery of thieving skills, impressive martial prowess.

Labels: Danger +2, Freak +0, Savior +1, Superor +0, Mundane +0.

When our team first came together:
Someone important learned about my lineage and condemned us all. Who, why? I don't like to say that one of the teachers has it out for us because of me, but...one of the teachers has it out for us because of me. Sorry guys. (Holding off on naming this one until everything's finalized because it might be cool to tie it to someone else's backstory figure.)

Relationships:
_________ is the only one who understands what I'm going through; I told them which part of me I wished was more like my parents.
My parents once fought and thrashed _______ ; I've got to find a way to make it up to them.

Moves:
I'll show them: When defending someone who doesn't believe in you, you can always take influence over them, even on a miss.
All the Best stuff: Compiled access to caches of equipment other supers have hidden around the city. When accessing a cache, name who it is, and roll savior for a hero's stash or danger for a villain's. On a hit, you find useful intel or equipment. On a 7-9, leave evidence behind that you were there. On a miss, you've set off the alarm and they're on the way, be ready to explain yourself.

Respect:

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 23, 2019

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Interest post

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Esper, the Joined (to Silver).

I was born a couple months after my parents came to Halcyon, so they called me Hope. Their little hope for a better future. Kind of a messed up thing to do to a kid, right? I didn't ask for anyone to put their expectations on me. But I'm here to be with my best friend, and I dunno. There's a lot wrong with this world, and I do have powers. If I can do it my own way, maybe a hero's something I could be.

quote:

• How did you and your other half become connected?
She asked me to hang out with her. I dunno, we were 7 or something. It was a big deal. Most of the other kids made fun of me for...stupid reasons. Sylv was different, though. I know, I know. She's "incorrigible". Trouble. A bad egg. But she was nice to me. She didn't care that I was the Jewish girl with the weird last name and no friends. So we started hanging out, and I guess we really hit it off.
We got our powers together, too. We were just heading home from the arcade one night when we came across some goons shaking down this poor guy. They were Main Street Mob, bad news, but I don’t think Sylv knew that. She charged right in. It was admirable, but kinda stupid. I wasn’t about to ditch, though, so I went in too. We kinda ended up getting surrounded. I took Sylv’s hand, and just wished really hard we were back at the arcade...and then we were. We found out we both had psychic powers - there’s a lot of things I could do with it, I think, but when Sylv started making psychic weapons I did the same so we would match. Neither of us do telepathy or anything, but we have a bit of a connection with each other, too. If one of us is feeling something strongly, the other can feel a little bit too, even if we’re apart.

quote:

• Who or what did you have to give up because of your connection?
My brother Jakub. My parents kinda hate Sylv - they think she's corrupting their innocent little girl, leading me down the wrong path - but Jakub doesn't blame her. He blames me. I mean, he's kinda right about one thing, I guess. What I do is my choice. But he's wrong, too. He thinks that by going out, having fun and getting wild with Sylv, I'm throwing away everything our parents sacrificed for us. The last time we actually spoke, he yelled at me to go downstairs and spit in Mom's face because I might as well have already. So, yeah. We don't really talk anymore. I guess...he was 8 when my family came here from Poland, so even though we're still pretty poor now, he grew up with things a lot worse. I don't really know what things were like there, but the whole point of coming here was for a better life, right? And Halcyon being some utopia of freedom is kinda bullshit, so I'm just living my own better life. I want my big brother back, but it's on him to get with it.

quote:

• Apart from your powers, what keeps you together?
Look, Sylv gets me. Not a lot of people do. She gets that most people are full of poo poo, that most of the rules of society are just there to keep the status quo. And she gets that just because I don't care about rules doesn't mean I'm a psycho or something. It just means I want to be free to be who I am and do what I want, and most people don't seem to want that. She gets it, and I know she feels the same way. And, I mean, she's a blast. She's always up to something fun, and...sometimes illegal, but that just makes it more exciting, right? Most of the best times I've ever had are with her.
There's...kinda more, too. This isn't something I tell people, so keep your mouth shut about it, but. When girls are supposed to start noticing boys, I didn't. I started noticing other girls. So how I feel about Sylv is, she's my best friend, but maybe there's more, too? I'm not sure. Not that I know how to bring it up with her, anyway. I don't think I've ever heard her talk about boys, but I can't assume that means anything. And I don't think she'd hate me for it, but still. I don't want to lose her as a friend.

quote:

• Someone outside the team thinks you’d be better off on your own. Who are they and why do they think that?
One of the teachers. His name is The Sapphire Shadow, he’s this really old guy who can turn into mist and possess people. He seems to think highly of me for some reason, but he’s made a point of telling me a couple times I need to “rid myself of malicious energies to unlock my potential.” Don’t think I don’t know what he’s talking about. He may be mysterious, but he’s not subtle. And, well, I’ve heard rumours that he used to be a villain back in the day, so that makes that a pretty loaded statement.
I’ve been keeping an eye on him and he seems to have some kinda mystical senses or something, so I’m a little curious if there’s more to it than him being just another square who doesn’t get us. Not that I’d let him come between us. Just maybe, y’know, for her sake, if he seems like he actually sees something and isn’t just being a stick in the mud, I should try to find out.

quote:

I dunno, do I? Some of them are kinda squares and they're not all super clued in. But we all ended up hiding out in this creepy mansion, so I guess we all have our damage. I'm not heartless; I have some sympathy for what they're going through. If they stick with me and Sylv, I'll stick with them too.

quote:

Hero Name: Esper
Look: Woman; White-passing; Unreadable face; Eccentric clothing
Abilities: Psychic Weapons; Teleportation

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +1
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Moves:
❑ I don't care what you think!:
Whenever you reject others' influence, add +2 to your roll.
❑ Are you watching closely?:
When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7- 9, choose two.
- You get an opportunity
- You expose a weakness or flaw
- You confuse them for some time
- You avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you're hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.
❑ Two of a kind:
When time passes, you and your other half gain Influence over each other. When you or your other half pierces the other’s mask, mark a condition to take a 10+.
❑ Fastball special:
When you perform a coordinated fighting maneuver with your other half, say who takes the lead and who assists. The leader rolls the adult move overwhelm a vulnerable foe. The assistant marks a condition.

Moment of Truth:
When you trigger your Moment of Truth, choose—are you working with your other half, or are you on your own?
If you’re working with your other half, use the text of their Moment of Truth and treat it as if it applies to both of you. Remember to lock your Label and switch a bond to a distinction because you’ll probably never reach these heights of perfect connection, of being one, ever again…
If you’re on your own, use the following text: You’re on your own. It’s like missing an arm. Like fighting naked. Like holding your breath. You’re missing something vital…but you’re moving faster than ever, thinking faster than ever, doing things you couldn’t even do while relying on both of your strength combined. And it’s hitting you, hard—you can do this. Without them. And you can win. It’s going to be hard to come down off this high and rejoin with them afterwards, isn’t it? Remember to lock a Label and switch a bond to a distinction, afterward

Team Moves:
When one of you shares moment of vulnerability or shares a triumphant celebration without the other one present, mark a condition to mark a potential.

The connection between our two halves was threatened by the crisis. How? By what?

Relationships:
When you have problems with your other half, you talk to _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
You are jealous of the relationship between your other half and _ _ _ _ _ _ _, and you keep trying to interject yourself.

Influence:
If less, then give out one less Influence than they did.
If you didn’t get Influence over your other half, then take it now. If you didn’t give Influence to your other half, then give it now.

Family names:
Mom: Marta
Dad: Szymon
Brother, 24: Jakub
Sister, 22: Ruta
Brother, 19: Natan

Art by BlackBirdInk

Wol fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 25, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Posting definite interest. Just need to start working out character details.

Chaos Triangle
Dec 9, 2007
DO NOT TRUST
edit: nvm

Chaos Triangle fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 16, 2019

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

image courtesy Laura Davis Photography
The Delinquent
Hero Name: Ghastly
Look: Man, Black, untrusting eyes, casual clothing, cheap costume
Abilities: Teleportation, Illusions (especially together)

How did you get your powers?
You know the Druid Heights disappearances from a few years back? A bunch of kids all disappeared from an an unassuming neighborhood in the middle of Charm City for a couple months, all at once, no trace of where to or how? Maybe you haven't, we all showed back up again pretty quickly so it probably wasn't going around the news for too long, especially since there wasn't even a trail to go cold. Anyway, I've had my powers ever since I came back. Just, had'em. I can't remember what happened while we were all gone, but I pretty much knew how to use my powers off the bat so I figure I must have been using them while I was gone, getting used to them.

What do you do for fun?
Playing cards mostly, when I can convince people I won't cheat. Otherwise, sketching. Need to deal with a lot of thoughts most days, and drawing what comes to mind helps.

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?
Grampa Peter was always nice, but he worked real hard to keep me straight after I showed back up along with everybody else. It almost hurts, how much he believes in me.

Why do you try to be a hero?
I mean, honestly I didn't want to be back when I first came. I just didn't want to see what it'd do to Grampa if I didn't, so I put on a show. I still don't know how much I want to be like guys on the news, but, I know I want to be able to keep my friends safe, back home and the handful of ones I've made here too. I guess that's being a hero, too.

It's hard to not care about people who go through the same poo poo you do. Back in Charm City, us ghost-kids are all in it together, and it's same thing here. I wasn't too fond of anybody when I first came here, but when it's go time I don't have time to make a stink, no matter how tempting.

quote:

Labels:
Danger: 0
Freak: 0
Savior: 0
Superior: +2
Mundane: +1

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Relationships
You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

❑ Mary Contrary: When someone tries to pierce your mask, comfort or support you, or provoke you, you can interfere. Roll + Superior. On a hit, they take a -2 on their roll. On a 10+, you also take Influence over them or clear a condition. On a miss, they get a 10+ no matter what they rolled and you mark a condition of their choice.
❑ I don’t care what you think!: Whenever you reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll.
❑ Are you watching closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.- you get an opportunity- you expose a weakness or flaw- you confuse them for some time- you avoid further entanglement. On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Moment of Truth
This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Choke, the Reformed

Look at all them. With their sweet little smiles and their hopes for a brighter tomorrow. Even the headmaster. And he, of all people, should know better. He does know better. He was there. In Korea. He saw what happened. He came back to...to all these accusations, these arrests. And he decided to put up this school?

Well, it's a living, I guess. Finally getting an education, having friends, and in such a fancy house, too... mom and dad would be proud. If they knew.

Who mentored you in supervillainy?
His name was Faruq. But the world knew him as the Genie. See, I wasn't much of a "model" citizen, even as young as I was. I grew up pretty poor. Anyone that got close enough to be a friend didn't stick around long. Having nightmares after playing with that innocent girl from down the block long enough, eventually they make the connection. My parents didn't know what to do. It's not like they were around enough to see if I went to school or not. I first found him hiding in the woods behind my house where I hung out. On the run from some hero and his police stooges. He paid me to tell them I saw him run the other way.

After that, he came back. Said I was a promising child. Saw my anger at the unfairness of my situation. He helped me control my powers. It was just minor things at first. Stealing. Helping create a distraction for other villains. Conning politicians, businessmen, factory owners...you know, rich people. They don't really put their guard up against a young girl. It was fun.

Who first showed you that you could do good?
I was on my own for a little while; Faruq had to do some business abroad, and an older foreigner taking a young white girl on a public flight wasn't really an option. So I just did what he did on my own. Rented out my services, if you will. And I ran into Luminary. They were...well, they were the kind of hero that this school would love. Always a bright smile, always helping, never tired, never angry. They recognized me from another job, I think, but they didn't attack. We talked for a while. I didn't believe them, of course. How was the girl that could make people lose control of their bowels on command ever going to be a hero?

But... they left an impression, I guess. Said that I could make bad people afraid, too, if that was what I had to do. But they thought if I could manipulate fears, I could also manipulate other emotions, if I tried. That I could inspire hope, faith, courage. I wish they had been right.

What was your goal as a villain?
Change the system. All these hippies with their peaceful protests don't know anything. Peace and love doesn't change people. The only way the people in charge see the error of the ways was fear and violence, because it is the only way they know. They fear the people they control for a reason, and they keep them down with violence. So we have to make their fears come true, and fight back. Faruq was in it for the money, but our goals aligned in that way. I made them afraid. He robbed them blind. Down goes another rich man.

What caused you to switch sides?
The first time I was alone, I knew Faruq would come back. The second time I was alone, I saw the news broadcast after a few days. They'd caught him. And I was all alone. I stole some stuff for a while. But without Faruq, I couldn't really take on all those assholes by myself, so I was just trying to survive. It wasn't great, to be honest. I was getting pretty angry at the world again.

And I guess the Headmaster knew me through my association with Faruq. People from the Academy found me eventually. And their speech...I didn't want to believe it, but they just reminded me of Luminary so much. Luminary had hope in me. And so did the Academy, for reasons I don't know. I figured maybe I could do something with that hope. I'm not ashamed to admit that having a roof over my head and three meals every day sounded mighty nice, though.

...well, you know. They're my friends. They don't - well, they care that I used to be a bad guy, but they trust me well enough. I think. I still get an occasional nervous glance when I start using my powers, but they like me. And that is enough. More than enough.

quote:

Hero Name: Choke
Look: Woman; White; Gorgeous Eyes, Conservative Clothes, Normal Clothes
Abilities: Fear Manipulation

Labels:
Danger +2
Freak +1
Savior -1
Superior +0
Mundane +1

Moves:
What the hell, hero:
When you call out an injustice that a hero has perpetrated, roll + Danger.
On a hit, take Influence over them. On a 7-9, choose one. On a 10+, choose two.

-You get them to admit their wrongdoing
- You win over an onlooker; take Influence over them
-You don’t turn their attention and anger onto yourself

On a miss, they dismiss you; mark a condition (their choice), shift Danger up, Savior down.

Blowing off steam:
When you commit a misdemeanor or small “victimless” crime, you may clear a condition of your choice.

Friends in Low Places
You have ties to villains from your previous career. Choose three names to fill in. For each of them, choose a specialty.

Count Dare Specialty: insider info. Obligation: 0
Annie Artery Specialty: weapons. Obligation: 2
The Shrike Specialty: alien tech. Obligation: 1

When you come to them for help with your problems, mark obligation on them and they’ll help out within their specialty. If all their boxes are full, then they won’t help you until you help them.
When time passes, roll + your highest obligation. On a 10+, they come crashing into your life with a crisis. On a 7-9, they call for a favor. On a miss, they don’t come knocking yet, but mark obligation with them—the debts are getting heavier.
When you help one of these villains with their problems, erase two obligations on them.

Moment of Truth:
You’ve seen your greatest mistakes, and the rest of the world has, too. They’re all watching you now, judging every move you make. When everything is on the line and your back is against the wall, though, you’ll show them what you’re made of—that being a hero is a choice. An act of will. And you’ve got what it takes to save the day. Of course, afterward, you can expect both sides, hero and villain, to deeply question where your loyalties truly lie...

Team Moves:
When you share a moment of triumph with someone, ask them what gives them hope for a brighter day and give them Influence.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them what they would do something dark for and gain Influence over them.

We fought a terrible enemy from my old life. Who was it and what did they take from me?

Relationships:
I’ve earned the trust of _________________, and I follow their example of what a hero should be.
I did something terrible to __________________ once. I hope they can forgive me one day.

Influence:
Do you talk openly about your days as a villain? If so, give each team member Influence over you. If not, just give Influence to the one teammate whose example you most closely follow.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 27, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

OK I'm working on questions, meantime here's a discord: https://discord.gg/nQezvBN

appreciate all the interest.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Choke, the Reformed

You describe your powers as 'fear manipulation'. Tell me how that manifests, and tell me about a time you regret using it - even on a worthy target.

quote:

Ghastly, the Delinquent

Out of the other 'Ghost Children' who thinks they know where you went, and has followed you to the academy?

quote:

Sentinel, The Transformed

Do you need to eat to sustain your brain, or are all your needs met by your artificial body? How is it powered, and why does that bother you?

quote:

Kid 108, the Scion.

What do you think your parents would try to target at the Academy, and how far would you go to stop them?

quote:

Red Star (Volodymyr Lazarenko), the Doomed.

In this timeline, are your parents together? Is there another you in the USSR, and would you ask for their help if you could find them?

quote:

Katsu Sato, the Bull

How is a school that teaches children to fight 'villains' different from Project Rust? And why do you trust what the Director told you, when you asked them?

quote:

Avery the Grey, the Innocent

Your future self has given you some stolen classified documents on the disappearance of the Anemone. Why haven't you read them, and who else knows you have them?

quote:

Enigma, the Protege

Your parents somehow avoided the incident in Korea and the storm of recrimination that followed. How? And why do they feel guilty about it?

quote:

Blackstar the Harbinger

What do you think happened to Dr Mobius in that explosion? If he was here would you try to fight him, or get him to send you home?

quote:

Razorback, the Soldier

A.E.G.I.S. aren't the only alphabet soup agency interested in this Academy. Who have you identified as a possible government infiltrator, and why haven't you reported them to your superiors?

quote:

Pandora, the Outsider

You've never been so alone, have you? What are you learning to enjoy about the solitude, and what strange things are you hearing in the quiet of your own thoughts?

quote:

Lucky Ted, the Harbinger

You should have been the only officer sent back into this timeline, but your communication device has been picking up coded transmissions on SYCCD frequencies. Why do you think they haven't made contact, and what's stopping you from contacting them?

quote:

Neko the Beacon

Of your father's sword collection, which one won't you use even though it seems to beg you to wield it? And who in the academy knew your father, and would much rather you weren't here?

quote:

POMMERMAN - The Bull

What makes you so sure you are a dog who becomes a man, and not a man who becomes a dog? And who are you trying to hide your changes from?

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

Out of the other 'Ghost Children' who thinks they know where you went, and has followed you to the academy?
Charlie (Charlotte when it's her mother speaking) was dead-set on us having been underground, underneath Charm City. She and the other young ones can all remember bits and pieces, but they keep to themselves about it, one of the only things that they don't share, but I don't question them about it. Something must have gone I can't remember anymore. Anyway, Charlie's always been real sharp, scary sharp, and reads like she's twice her age, so I believe her. After Grampa Peter talked me into heading out to the academy, she declared that she was going to come to 'keep an eye on me'. She was here before I was (which, to be fair, isn't that weird, considering I took Grampa's old junker of a car to get there).

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

thatbastardken posted:

What do you think your parents would try to target at the Academy, and how far would you go to stop them?

If they haven't decided they don't want me going to a hero school and have come to bust me out? Probably Enigma's dad. Mr. Mystery's a famous detective who's kicked around in what they consider their home turf before. They're -going- to want to match wits with that. There'd be calling cards, announcements about what they intend to steal, hijacking Bandstand to challenge him to stop them, the whole nine yards. The best way to short-circuit that would be to steal whatever they're going after before they can. Which would...probably get me expelled.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

quote:

Of your father's sword collection, which one won't you use even though it seems to beg you to wield it? And who in the academy knew your father, and would much rather you weren't here?

I'd love to use my dad's main sword Yamaarashi (山嵐) if I could, but I don't think we'll ever find that. He had it on him in Korea when.. y'know. Oh, there's also the spooky one. Its locked up in a boxy glass case that's unopenable - riveted shut. There's a little plaque that has 村正 written on it - I have no idea what it means. This sword is really... distracting. I've had it covered with a towel for years because I found myself just staring at it for minutes at a time when I was supposed to be training.

Also I should tell you about Yoshinori Mutou - my father's student. He was supposed to succeed my dad's style. They were best friends. Totally inseperable, and when the goverenment formed its supers divsion, they enlisted together. But something went sour. After their first tour, they had this big blow up argument and Dad said he was disinherited, and never to be spoken of again. This is still before I was born, so I'm just going by what mom told me. I only knew Yoshinori as the guy who kept showing up at our door, demanding his swords and his rightful legacy. It was a whole thing. There was a court decision eventually that forbid him from going near our house again, but he still thinks he has the right to my dad's memory.

I wasn't jazzed when I found out he was on the faculty, and I'd be surprised if he wasn't even more upset than me.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

thatbastardken posted:

You describe your powers as 'fear manipulation'. Tell me how that manifests, and tell me about a time you regret using it - even on a worthy target.

To be honest, before I met Faruq, I didn't really know anything about how that worked. I had very little control. People would just run away screaming sometimes. But the Genie was a smart man, and he helped me figure things out. Turns out there's two parts to it, right? One part of it is that I have what he called a limited emphatic connection. I can tell how people are feeling, but only if I make eye-contact; that sort of manifests as like a...a smell? Happiness is like hot chocolate, sadness is like rotting fruit, anger is smoke. And if they're afraid, it smells like roast dinner. That's kind of messed up, isn't it? Anyway, Faruq said it was like when engineers test the soil for minerals and stuff. The happier someone is, the harder it is to trigger their fear, i.e. the closer I have to be. Sad or stressed people are easier targets, I can just sort of feed them a slow paranoia from a good distance. Which leads me to the second part.

When I turn my powers on, it triggers something in people's brains that makes them afraid. You know, the cold sweat, the tensed muscles, the lump in your throat... all of that. The closer I am, the heavier it gets. If I'm touching them, I can sometimes even make people faint. I don't really know how that works. I never see anything except their reaction. But that's how I got away with so much. I can just walk up to people, and they don't suspect a thing until I turn on the broadcast and it's too late. It's not flashy, like fireballs or flying. But it is effective, and that's the worst part of it, isn't it? I was born with the power to make people afraid of me. When it comes to the mutant lottery, I sure didn't win big.

Anyway, Faruq and me were in Texas for a bit. He'd been contracted to go after this one guy - his name was William Jackson. Some big shot oil baron or something. Dude was all chuffed about making millions of dollars when the whole oil boom happened, but it weren't . He had this nice big mansion, and Faruq snuck me in during the night so I could give him some nightmares. Soften him up, you know, so we can take him down later? So there I was, in this guy's bedroom, turning on the heat - he was sweating something fierce, but still asleep, so he didn't scream or anything, just sort of weakly moaning. And then I hear somebody yawn behind me. His grandkids were staying over, I guess? So I turn around, and that was my mistake. See, my powers aren't really laser-focused, either. I can try and focus on someone in particular but if somebody else grabs my attention, it doesn't immediately turn the power off, they just take it. Like jumping in front of a bullet.

The kid was maybe seven, or eight. And I put him into a coma. Turns out kid's brains are kind of vulnerable to people doing stuff to them. He recovered, eventually, but... well, wouldn't you feel bad about that?

Wahad fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 23, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

thatbastardken posted:

Your parents somehow avoided the incident in Korea and the storm of recrimination that followed. How? And why do they feel guilty about it?

They failed to stop it. My mother and father have never worked on behalf of any government. Dad fought the Nazis, sure, but he also fought the crimes of the US government, and the Russians, and the Brits. Mom's the same. It's what's always gotten them in trouble. It's why I respect them. We're about truth. Finding it and revealing it for the world to see, no matter how bad it is. And when Korea came...they were trying to do that. The bomb program, the plans to use it. It was a mess, it was a program that should have never existed. It was monstrous. But they were too slow. They...look, they're not the only ones that feel guilty, because I was born by then. And that's - that's part of why they were too slow. They've never said that to me, I mean. They wouldn't.

But I know that if I wasn't there, they'd have been able to stop it. Dad says that it's because he's getting slow, that if he'd been more on the ball and age wasn't catching up to him, he'd have had the names out of people before the order to fire went out. Mom says that if she'd been faster, she could've gotten to the launch site and stopped it by force. Neither of them ever blame me. They blame themselves.

And so do I. I blame myself. If they weren't saddled with a kid, they'd have both been reacting faster.

So yeah...it's our fault, all three of us. The whistle didn't get blown until after the fact, and the launch went off. The launch wasn't prevented. And now, almost every hero that existed is dead.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 23, 2019

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

thatbastardken posted:

You should have been the only officer sent back into this timeline, but your communication device has been picking up coded transmissions on SYCCD frequencies. Why do you think they haven't made contact, and what's stopping you from contacting them?

Actually that's not entirely true.

A week or so before this entire mess started we had lost contact with Special Agent Roksana Wójcik. Agent Wójcik was- is one of the best officers we have on the force right now, she was at the helm of stopping the attempt by some wingnut to ensure the dinosaurs were never wiped out by that meteor, recovered the burial mask of Tutankhamen after it was stolen hours after he was buried in his tomb, and was the leading force behind busting that Damascus steel smuggling ring that has been a thorn in our side for years. She's been bloody everywhere at this point and has beaten just about every threat this job could throw at a jobbing officer.

So when she was looking into a few anomalies that had popped up in Belfast around this time period and vanished off of the radar, the big wigs were thrown into a right tizzy about one of their best officers potentially going missing in the line of duty on what was supposed to be a milk run for someone like her. I was actually going to be put onto that case before the events that eventuated happened and suddenly a missing decorated officer wasn't quite as important as a missing chunk of history.

So imagine my surprise when I pick up Agent Wójcik's distress beacon on her communicator a few days after my successful jump and integration into the academy. But the beacon is just that, a beacon, and the location of said beacon is about four thousand miles away or so from where I currently am right now still in Ireland, I tried responding to it but no one seemed to be there to pick it up. She could still be there, she could be on the opposite side of the globe, hell, she could have landed earlier than me before she ghosted and this signal was being broadcast for years.

I'm keeping an ear to the ground on that point but I have bigger things concerning me right now.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 23, 2019

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I got nothing. Have fun!

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 24, 2019

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

quote:

You've never been so alone, have you? What are you learning to enjoy about the solitude, and what strange things are you hearing in the quiet of your own thoughts?

<A crowd of people slowly disperses, leaving one alone in a vast emptiness.>

Yes, you state factual information. In my home, the great collective fleets, one does not experience this sort of... how would you say it, aloneness? One's thoughts weave into the greater whole, creating a great resonance, such that even when you are traveling between thought-centers, it echoes within you still. When I was awoken here... that resonance was long since faded. Even the networks I create with the people of this planet do not quell the silence that surrounds me.

It is odd for me to consider this, but in this place, I have better been able to enjoy the thoughts I create on my own. It is truly unusual to consider, as it is not something I've experienced before. The nature of my people's unity leads us to think and experience by means of the great consensus. It is wonderful, indeed, and I highly recommend you unify yourselves to experience it! Though, I suppose, there is a certain comfort in thinking thoughts that will not be shared across a civilization! Being able to come to an individual decision on important matters is very unusual to me, but not necessarily bad? I will need to think on this further.

And, yes, I have experienced some strange phenomena in this lonesomeness! When I, like your human teens, retire to 'my room' for relaxation and physical solitude, I have found myself hearing the barest hints of thoughts and feelings not my own. If I were in the fleet, this would not be unusual! It would be anything but! Here, though, the people of Earth do not think like mine. If our thoughts are a conversation, yours are a picture painted on a wall. I can appreciate them, but they do not thrust themselves into my experience like one of my people might. So I do not know what that signifies, whether there is another of my people here or a different being with similarly developed abilities.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

thatbastardken posted:

A.E.G.I.S. aren't the only alphabet soup agency interested in this Academy. Who have you identified as a possible government infiltrator, and why haven't you reported them to your superiors?

Well, it ain't just one of 'em.

The LeBlanc sisters. Claudette 'n Marie. Couple years ahead of us. Somethin' just don't smell right about 'em, if ya ask me. Say they're the daughters of some French diplomat, n' they speak french real good, but... I speak a lil' creole, 'n there some things they say talkin' to each other that just don't sound quite right. Not the words, but, they ain't sayin' em quite right. Like sumbody read a word a thousand times but ain't never said it outloud before.

You kin ask either of 'em the same question while they in different classes, n' neither of 'em ever have a different answer than the other. Ever. Even when they lie, dey tell the same lie! That'n they're just too drat purty, all the drat time. Neither one of 'em has a hair out of place.

Mebbe they're psych-whatever, talkin' to each other with their minds or summat, but... People just ain't that good, all the time. People lie. People have bad days. Sisters fight with sisters 'bout all sorts o' stupid poo poo, 'specially boys. Those two don't, n' I don't like it.

'course, I ain't got poo poo on 'em 'cept a hunch. Can't be reporting hunches. Well, Mirabelle could, but she gets 'dem dreams that tell her the future. 'n I ain't no Mirabelle.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

In this timeline, are your parents together? Is there another you in the USSR, and would you ask for their help if you could find them?

I can't be sure, but I have a feeling they are. My father is Yusuf Lazarenko. He is Zakhysnyk, or the Defender in English. I inherited my psychic barriers from him. My mother is Juliet Anders, although she goes by Kateryna Stasiuk. She was a British spy assigned to report back on Soviet activities, but she fell in love with my father. During WW2 she was a telekine that went by Grey Hand.

As for myself, I cannot even guess. If my parents are together and met at the same time as in my own timeline, than I or someone like me could be a year or two younger than myself. But when I grew up, most of my life was spent in a post-Cold War world. I do not know what the dire political climate of this timeline would have done to the personality and beliefs of my parents or my counterpart. Stress and fear make people do terrible things. I'm afraid to learn the truth, and I'm afraid to risk changing this timeline more than I must to save it. It would take desperate times to drive me to seek out my parents or myself, but if I must, I will. The survival of all mankind is at stake.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

thatbastardken posted:

What do you think happened to Dr Mobius in that explosion? If he was here would you try to fight him, or get him to send you home?

Honestly I don't know. I'd say a normal man would be dead due to that much exposure from Chronition particles. I only survived because of my rather unique genetic mutation. Still I wouldn't count him out, he was a monster but he was also a genius. He wouldn't have been working with time-travel unless he thought he had some kind of protection against any possible side-effects. If he had that protection then he could have been blasted back in time like I was. Which come to think of it might explain the speed of decay in the timeline. If you allow for an additional actor from outside the timeline then the math certainly makes more sense.... It's only a hunch, right now but give me a week to run the calculations and I might be able to prove it.

But if he is here... Well I'd have to try and stop him. I don't know how successful I'll be. The things that man was capable of frightened some of the most formidable heroes of my time. But leaving him free to commit his twisted science projects on the defenceless people of this world. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I used his work to get me home and abandoned you all to him.