Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Thirded

Unrelated:
God Told Me To rules.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Unrelated:
God Told Me To rules.

The novelization for it's pretty good as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I was watching the documentary King Cohen and they touched on God Told Me To and Cohen is a loving insane person. gently caress it no permits , no permissions , film a cop parade and sneak a fake cop into the parade. A Fake cop who is a recognizable celebrity.

King Cohen is super loving good btw.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Last weekend I rewatched Q: The Winged Serpent which is worth it just for Michael Moriarty chewing the scenery. I love that everything between him and Candy Clark feel like they're from an entirely different movie that's just a drama about a down-on-his-luck driver taking "one more job".

Also, when jumping down the wiki-hole about Cohen, I had no idea he created The Invaders! I used to dig reruns of that when I was a kid.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

My favorite thing from King Cohen is that during Q Serpent he just had dudes on top of the Chrysler firing machine guns and the police thought there was a terrorist attack. It even made all the papers and he issued a full page apology.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I caught Blue Sunshine and Brain Damage recently and really love how goofy they are about acid. Mandy and Beyond the Black Rainbow are both recent examples of great acid trip horror movies but is there anything along the lines of like Blue Sunshine or Brain Damage that I should check out?

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

My favorite thing from King Cohen is that during Q Serpent he just had dudes on top of the Chrysler firing machine guns and the police thought there was a terrorist attack. It even made all the papers and he issued a full page apology.

I can believe that. When the limbs fall in the middle of the street from the first monster attack, there's a definite feeling that all the reactions are genuine because only a couple of people are actually paid extras, the rest were just people walking around when a severed foot was thrown from a building.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We just watched Hellgate from 1989 and holy gently caress y'all need to watch it. It's a Troll 2 or The Room level of goofy as poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

IPA is the black licorice of beer types. It's gross as gently caress but people who love it won't shut up about it.

That makes sense, I love black licorice though. :D

Speaking of which, nastiest food in a horror movie (not counting cannibalism or the pizza in Driller Killer)?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, nastiest food in a horror movie (not counting cannibalism or the pizza in Driller Killer)?

you said no cannibalism, but the steak in Ravenous is technically not cheating

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

I was going to say "the chunder bowl in Bad Taste," then I remembered the steak scene at the beginning of Ravenous (the 1999 one)

Edit: drat you!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

lmao if you don't answer the food fight scene from Hook

WHAT AM I EATING, WHERE DOES THIS COME FROM

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw The Prodigy tonight. I know it's been out for a couple weeks, but I just got around to it.

Goddamn, that movie was way more fun than I was expecting. It was like The Book of Henry if Henry had lived and gone on to become a serial killer.

I was laughing so hard at times in the theater. I had a feeling as soon as I saw the Orion Pictures logo that I was gonna be in for something wild and that's exactly what I got.

It's probably not one of my favorite horror movies in years or anything, but it was still thoroughly entertaining.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

The custard in Braindead.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

my local video stores horror movie section was in a connected smaller room that was painted black with eyes painted on the walls

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

DeimosRising posted:

you said no cannibalism, but the steak in Ravenous is technically not cheating

Nothing nasty about that bloody steak. Too much fat maybe

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Don’t Leave Home actually has a pretty gross blood-stew that reminded me of the Ravenous blood-steak.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

The Human Centipede technically doesn't feature cannibalism.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

Anything eaten in modern art masterpiece The Greasy Strangler

https://youtu.be/YnMM4lm324g

Pomp fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 23, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

"You're eating maggots, Michael."

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Little late to the party, but yeah, alcohol has been an intrinsic part of our history for like for loving ever. Drugs on the other hand, seem to have mostly been discovered not by randomly eating stupid poo poo, but observing animals eating stupid poo poo and seeing when it looked like a fun time.

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 23, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

The soul pizza in NoES 4 is top tier imo

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

The mystery meat in Southbound is pretty gross.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Soo, I was browsing through horror films the other day on Amazon Prime and stumbled upon Exorcist III. I've always been a big fan of the Exorcist but knew nothing about any of its sequels except that Part 2 was awful. This one, though... It was written and directed by William Peter Blatty, who wrote the original film, so I figured it was likely decent. And the cast was definitely impressive. I saw that George C. Scott (!!!) replaced Lee J. Cobb as Kinderman in the lead role, Jason Miller was back as Karras, and Brad Dourif was also in it, plus some other names I recognized from disparate places. I have to say though, I was not expecting all that much going into it.

Boy was I freaking BLOWN AWAY, though, just utterly *blown away* by how goddamn original and amazing this film was. I mean, I have to admit that the scenes with Brad Dourif doing these masterfully written (and sometimes utterly insane and raving) soliloquies to a still-as-a-statue George C. Scott is just... amazing. Really and totally amazing. I was just mesmerized by what Dourif did in this film, I mean... He throws each and every ounce of his very being into this role. It's like a sort of black magic of its own - hot utterly convincing Dourif is, how he even makes ME believe that each and every thing he is saying is literally true.

I have to say though... I was honestly surprised when I checked and saw that Silence of the Lambs was actually filmed at just about the same time as this film, and both were filmed before either came out! I really felt as if Jonathan Demme had been borrowing from the Kinderman/Gemini scenes when he was doing the Clarice/Lector scenes. Both involve a law officer interviewing an unblinking psychopathic serial killer, prone to talking at great length. Both films have the killers locked away in somewhat similarly deep and dank cells far from hope of freedom (yet both villains escape in their own ways). Both films also use somewhat similar shooting techniques in those scenes - straight perspective shots, where the camera is directly in the face of the individual speaking, and they are speaking almost directly to the camera, so it feels as if the viewer is standing right between the two characters in a given scene. Admittedly, Silence of the Lambs maintains this as a motif throughout the film while Exorcist III mainly saves it for the scenes in the cell with Karros/Gemini.

But regardless, I really can't say how incredibly surprised (in a GREAT way) I was by Exorcist III. I really wasn't expecting that another film in that series would turn out to be a masterpiece in its own right. And I should add that even though the film impressed the hell out of me initially, it actually GREW on me, and got better with subsequent viewings. One notices all kinds of small details and references and bits of foreshadowing, and so on. It's a fairly intelligent film! It does feel a bit dated due to being made in ~1990, but it's really not too bad. I feel like it's got its own sense of timelessness.

I do have some questions though if anyone knows... Was Brad Dourif's voice manipulated in terms of pitch/modulation/speed/etc in any way? I feel like it must've been.

Also, the presence of Fabio, followed by a blind and pre-fame (and probably still heroin-addicted judging by his weight) Samuel L. Jackson, followed by Patrick Ewing laying down ominous tarot cards. THEN the horrifyingly frightening flashes of Pazuzo's dead white face.... *shivers* It just makes for an ominously creepy and deeply weird dream sequence that rivals David Lynch (well, not really) BUT they are still terrifying and good in their own rught

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The whole reason I ever bothered to watch Excorcist III is because it was talked up so much by a bunch of goons in these here threads.

Horror Thread has let me down a few times but I've seen a LOT more really good films because of the recommendations of you goons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wish more people liked Exorcist II, not just because I think it's good but because then it would act as more of a bridge to Exorcist III which is a near masterpiece imo. As it is, I think a lot of people never venture past the original because the first sequel has such a bad reputation. But I think if you appreciate the originality of some of the stuff going on in Exorcist III you should go back and give 2 a shot.

In a similar vein, if anybody still is sleeping on Psycho II, watch it ASAP. You're missing out on something almost just as good as the original.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

In a similar vein, if anybody still is sleeping on Psycho II, watch it ASAP. You're missing out on something almost just as good as the original.

I'll second this. Psycho II is pretty awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Excorcist 3 is fantastic. Like its the proper sequel to the original Exorcist and its one of my favorite horror movies.

All of the Psycho movies are pretty good actually.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hollismason posted:

Excorcist 3 is fantastic. Like its the proper sequel to the original Exorcist and its one of my favorite horror movies.

All of the Psycho movies are pretty good actually.

American Psycho II isn't. :v:

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Kind of a normie answer, but the steak scene in Poltergeist is still pretty grody.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think my issue with Psycho II and Exorcist III is that they are good movies but they aren't really good movies in their own series.

Like, Exorcist III is a great horror film but a bad Exorcist sequel, same with Psycho II. I feel like a good sequel needs to be evocative of tone and context as much as content.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Bought a Vcr now to figure out how to hook it up

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Bought a Vcr now to figure out how to hook it up

just lol if you don't have a hundred unused RCA cables hanging around from the late 90s.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

My TV is a flat screen I don't see any way to plug this in

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

My TV is a flat screen I don't see any way to plug this in

Take your pick: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=RCA+to+hdmi&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The usual video output from an old VCR is RCA (single yellow plug for video, red and white plug for stereo audio), with MAYBE an "S-video" output for higher end machine (big round plug with a matrix of pins inside).

Since the usual TV these days will only have an HDMI input the question is are there adapters that convert RCA or S-video into a usable HDMI signal?

edit, beaten as if I'd summoned the Cenobites

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Zwabu posted:

The usual video output from an old VCR is RCA (single yellow plug for video, red and white plug for stereo audio), with MAYBE an "S-video" output for higher end machine (big round plug with a matrix of pins inside).

Since the usual TV these days will only have an HDMI input the question is are there adapters that convert RCA or S-video into a usable HDMI signal?

Sorry, I just really really want him to post the haunted video on youtube. And now I wish I'd said, "What's your pleasure, sir?"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Yeah I'll grab a pic of my TV this thing has Coaxial which is what it was hooked up with at the store and then looks like those RCA cords.

edit:

Dammit my TV does have coaxial now I have to go back to the drat store.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Neo Rasa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC4Df42R-9E&t=3004s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
the saga continues...