Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Are those water additives that people were posting about earlier designed to make the water slippy drippy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's gotta be insanely bitter. I tried a friend's cold brew with a similar pre-ground bean and I barely could handle a sip, in fairness he hated it too and he just got a nice Mexican bean from a farmers market and them do a coarse grind on it from then on.

idk, I was raised on cheap garbage coffee for my whole life. Folgers, Walmart generic brand, what ever that poo poo is at Dennys. Kinda gotta weird thing for it and like it alot. Plus I always throw in some half & half and some vanilla syrup if I got any. All that poo-poo coffee really lets me enjoy an actual good cuppa joe. When I eventually get to a cafe or get some good rear end beans I can tell the difference night and day.

This probably explains alot of my choices for beer as well...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Folgers still smells insanely good when you first open the can. But that's about the only good thing about it and it only lasts like 10 seconds.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm like a cheap coffee connoisseur. Whatcha wanna get yourself is some MAXWELL HOUSE....

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chocolate covered coffee beans are my thing these days

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mu Zeta posted:

Folgers still smells insanely good when you first open the can. But that's about the only good thing about it and it only lasts like 10 seconds.

It lasted 45 odd years for me.....then something happened. Something better.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

^burtle posted:

three tablespoons just three tablespoons

i like to warm up my mug

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

kim jong-illin posted:

Did you put the ring burr back in correctly? That's the most common cause of an Encore/Virtuoso producing large grinds on all settings - the ring burr has a specific orientation and the colouring on one of the tabs rubs off over time, making it easy to put it back in the wrong way.

Yea. That's surely it but it still goes wrong no matter how much care I take. Oh well, moving on..

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm looking for a way to make larger batches of cold brew; my current maker does ~32oz at once; and thats fine; but it was supposed to come out as a concentrate; but it really isnt (so I just drink it straight). And it just does not last. It's really draining to make a batch every other day or so.

So I need either a:
1) Bigger batch maker 2-3 liters at once
2) A maker that actually makes a better concentrate; I suspect the filter doesnt have enough surface area on this one (its pretty tight and vertical) but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions? Everything seems to be 1.0L in size at least at a cursory look

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you tried the Toddy? It's meant to make concentrates. You should also try grinding finer and letting it steep longer before drinking.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Most of the brewers I've seen on Amazon are about a litre capacity, a handful that are a little more but not much. I work at a coffee chain and when we did iced coffee high-capacity stores had the option of getting a Toddy cold brewer which has a bigger capacity and can be used to make a decent concentrate (and could probably have served us better than the six Hario jugs we had, those things are not designed for a working environment). There's one on Seattle Coffee Gear which seems to get decent enough reviews. Maybe it's on Amazon too. Doesn't seem to come with a lid, which is a bit daft. I'm sure people here have talked about just using a big container and a cloth filter, but I wouldn't know what to recommend or how much you should spend.

Edit: Well that's what I get for going to find a link, then getting distracted for fifteen minutes.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-K...210592879&psc=1

I have this and it works great for concentrate. It also filters everything really well without even needing a paper filter. I make it and brew for 12-24 hours and then dispose of the grounds and keep this in the fridge for a week and dilute it with water for drinking. I’ve seen it on sale for as low as $60 I think.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's always using almond milk bags

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

There's always using almond milk bags

This is what I do but make sure you use a container with a wide mouth like a pitcher with a separate lid. I tried it with a huge mason jar with a spout and the wet grounds form a brick that won't fit back through the mouth of the jar without a lot of potentially messy trouble.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I use a 2L ball jar and then filter through a metal strainer and then paper melitta cones into smaller ball jars. Great concentrate.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Walked posted:

I'm looking for a way to make larger batches of cold brew; my current maker does ~32oz at once; and thats fine; but it was supposed to come out as a concentrate; but it really isnt (so I just drink it straight). And it just does not last. It's really draining to make a batch every other day or so.

So I need either a:
1) Bigger batch maker 2-3 liters at once
2) A maker that actually makes a better concentrate; I suspect the filter doesnt have enough surface area on this one (its pretty tight and vertical) but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions? Everything seems to be 1.0L in size at least at a cursory look

I started out using the Filtron to make my cold brew and made large batches of concentrate. I stopped using it for several reasons (the filter pads, the awkward stopper in the bottom, etc.), but the main one was that the cold brew it made just tasted bad. I'm pretty sure it was because the large, open top allowed a lot of oxygen exposure during the brewing process. Similar designs, like the Toddy, probably have the same problem.

I actually switched to an Ovalware brewer that sounds very similar to what you have now. It's a bit of a pain to make a new batch every 2 days, but the quality is so much better IMO.

El Jebus posted:

I use a 2L ball jar and then filter through a metal strainer and then paper melitta cones into smaller ball jars. Great concentrate.

This is probably your best bet for a large volume of concentrate.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Hi coffee thread, I want to start learning to appreciate and making better cups of coffee than my super cheap drip machine but I'm also super lazy and don't want to do much prep work in the mornings. Is there some stuff you guys would recommend to help me?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Hi coffee thread, I want to start learning to appreciate and making better cups of coffee than my super cheap drip machine but I'm also super lazy and don't want to do much prep work in the mornings. Is there some stuff you guys would recommend to help me?

A decent grinder, followed by a better drip brewer

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Clark Nova posted:

A decent grinder, followed by a better drip brewer

Any recommendations from the coffee experts? A grinder sounds like work though

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

A quality burr grinder is gonna make the biggest difference in flavour in your coffee, go with electric if you don't want to spend a few minutes working at it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Any recommendations from the coffee experts? A grinder sounds like work though

I think Capresso Infinity and Baratza Encore are still the go-to recommendations for a first burr grinder. It's an extra step but you're never going to get good coffee with pre-ground beans.

For drip brewers, Bonavita makes good, completely effortless units, the Behmor Brazen is a bit more expensive and has a lot of settings you can fiddle with, and Technivorm is the gold standard. I have a Brazen and like the results

e: to be clear, you can change the temperature, bloom time, etc. on the brazen but actually brewing coffee is just adding water, adding grounds and pressing start

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 23, 2019

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Clark Nova posted:

I think Capresso Infinity and Baratza Encore are still the go-to recommendations for a first burr grinder. It's an extra step but you're never going to get good coffee with pre-ground beans.

For drip brewers, Bonavita makes good, completely effortless units, the Behmor Brazen is a bit more expensive and has a lot of settings you can fiddle with, and Technivorm is the gold standard. I have a Brazen and like the results

e: to be clear, you can change the temperature, bloom time, etc. on the brazen but actually brewing coffee is just adding water, adding grounds and pressing start

If i picked up a grinder, What kind of difference would those drips make over my current cheap drip? What makes them better?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ImPureAwesome posted:

If i picked up a grinder, What kind of difference would those drips make over my current cheap drip? What makes them better?

They make a more uniform grind. The grind size affects extraction, and a spinny blade grinder will chop some beans into dust and leaves some very coarse so it will be different every time. A burr grinder grinds to the same uniform size every time so you don't have some unknown, uncontrollable grind size variable that changes in every batch you brew.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

withak posted:

They make a more uniform grind. The grind size affects extraction, and a spinny blade grinder will chop some beans into dust and leaves some very coarse so it will be different every time. A burr grinder grinds to the same uniform size every time so you don't have some unknown, uncontrollable grind size variable that changes in every batch you brew.

Ok that makes sense for the grinders, though I was also wondering about what makes the bonivita or Technivorm drips better than my $30 drip

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ImPureAwesome posted:

Ok that makes sense for the grinders, though I was also wondering about what makes the bonivita or terivorm drips better than my $30 drip

Cheap drip machines often don't get the water hot enough, and they often take too much time to brew. Both of those variables affect the results a lot.

Drip machines certified by the SCAA like the ones mentioned above will do the temperature and timing right. They are a lot more expensive than cheap dippers tho. Manual methods (Clever Coffee Dripper, pourover, Aeropress, etc.) with an electric kettle will be a lot cheaper unless you really need hands-off brewing.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

ImPureAwesome posted:

The SCAA certified drip brewers typically have more even water dispersion, better temperature control, and quality of life features compared to the cheaper drip brewers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm going to put in a good word for French press, they aren't expensive at all but they make much better coffee than a cheap drip. Requires more manual interaction though. I don't have a pour-over but those seem good too.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Chemex + Capresso Infinity + electric kettle with temperature control imo

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Ok, so my good coffee plan seems to be to buy this Bonavita BV1901PS for $95 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WD5QBV Then also pick up the Capresso infinity (mostly cause it's cheaper than the other one). Seem reasonable?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Ok, so my good coffee plan seems to be to buy this Bonavita BV1901PS for $95 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WD5QBV Then also pick up the Capresso infinity (mostly cause it's cheaper than the other one). Seem reasonable?

That's a good plan, but I would also say get a scale to weigh your coffee. Don't use a spoon or eyeball it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Food scales are super important for weighing food things for baking and such, and also for tracking calories for weight loss if needed, so you should get one if you don't already have one!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nanigans posted:

Chemex + Capresso Infinity + electric kettle with temperature control imo

This is what I use but my routine each morning takes 10-15 minutes to get coffee into my thermos so I'd hardly say it's good for someone who doesn't want to do any work.

Weigh 52g of beans
Grind Beans to medium
Fill kettle and boil water
Wet filter and clean out 6 cup Chemex
Zero scale with Chemex and coffee grounds in filter
Pour 150g of water and wait for bloom
Add water to 700g and wait to filter through
Dump filter
Drink coffee

Hekk fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 23, 2019

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

This is what I use but my routine each morning takes 10-15 minutes to get coffee into my thermos so I'd hardly say it's good for someone who doesn't want to do any work.

Yeah. But it’s so good.

Takes all kinds, but it’s 100% worth it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pourover and a manual grinder is my jam, takes a couple minutes to measure and grind the coffee while water heats, a minute to let it stop boiling and bloom the coffee, then another couple minutes of pouring over.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Big Bidness posted:

That's a good plan, but I would also say get a scale to weigh your coffee. Don't use a spoon or eyeball it.

Ive got like measuring spoons, though I assume you mean something fancier. I'll probablysee how it goes for now?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Measuring spoons are ok if you know what you like and want it to consistently taste the same. The problem is when you start buying different blends and different single origin beans. The sizes of the beans can vary a lot so 2 table spoons of some African Sidamo will be very different form a holiday blend you buy at Starbucks. Using a cheap $10 gram scale lets you use the same amount of coffee every time no matter what you buy.

With the capresso grinder and the bonavita maker you're pretty much in the top tier of coffee preparation. Might as well buy the scale and you'll be making coffee that rivals any fancy coffee shop.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm like a cheap coffee connoisseur. Whatcha wanna get yourself is some MAXWELL HOUSE....

French Roast is my go to for the bonavita work day brew.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Clever coffee dripper for me:
-pour in water to kettle and heat to 202
-while water heats, weigh out 20g of coffee and grind
-put filter in CCD. Once water is hot, pour a bit around the filter to wet it.
-drain that water and put coffee in CCD
-pour a bit of water to bloom the coffee (sometimes I skip this step)
-drain the blooming water and pour in 330g of coffee. Stir
-set timer for 3 mins, drain into coffee cup
-throw filter away, rinse CCD, enjoy coffee

Takes barely any time and no effort to clean up

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

I bought a Baratza Encore almost a decade ago and it is still going strong with daily heavy use. Still highly recommend it to anyone who asks about improving their coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

Clever coffee dripper for me:

Seconding the CCD, it's pretty hands-off and basically foolproof in making a great cup of coffee.