Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Brooklyn 99 is a terrible background show because of how wild the opening theme stinger is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Barudak posted:

My partner and I loved Blackish and then that plot about divorce happened and RIP Blackish we've never watched it again.

Yeah, I hated that but it recovered nicely imo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How many seasons is Blackish at now? I loved the first season, but didn't keep watching when it started up again.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I saw one episode on tv and it was as painfully unfunny as all other network sitcoms

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

purple death ray posted:

Sometimes you need something to distract you from the screaming existential horror that saturates everything in this hollow, worthless world we had the misfortune to be born into, because you got to do housework and you don't need that occupying your thoughts while you're trying to scrub a kitchen counter

yep, this is it. thanks, all

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i think i've lost the ability to watch the office because i hate jim and pam so much now... what are some other good background noise shows, besides frasier?

no friends, either

Law and order

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

oldpainless posted:

Law and order

Until you hear the “This Is A Dramatic Moment And/Or Shocking Twist” song for the thousandth time, i.e. the only part of the soundtrack other than the title song and :doink:.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

I saw one episode on tv and it was as painfully unfunny as all other network sitcoms

Idk it has some really great powerful moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA9QBZr8WEg

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Solice Kirsk posted:

How many seasons is Blackish at now? I loved the first season, but didn't keep watching when it started up again.

It has a spin-off now too, Grown-ish

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Am I wrong thinking that season 2 of True Detective is a complete mess?

The first season was loving great. I thought Matthew McConaughey did an incredible acting job. I'm only one episode in for season 3 so we'll see, but man, that middle season just seemed to be all over the place.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

oh dope posted:

The first season was loving great. I thought Matthew McConaughey did an incredible acting job. I'm only one episode in for season 3 so we'll see, but man, that middle season just seemed to be all over the place.

The initial reaction to s2 was almost universally negative to my recollection.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oh dope posted:

Everyone thought season 2 was a complete mess.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Season 2 would have been a mostly decent show if season 1 hadn't been so amazing. On the heels of S1, S2 looks like absolute garbage though.

At least that's my opinion.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pizzolatto saw how popular Rust Cohle was and tried to make four Rust Cohles.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Monkey posted:

Season 2 would have been a mostly decent show if season 1 hadn't been so amazing. On the heels of S1, S2 looks like absolute garbage though.

At least that's my opinion.

I agree. It's messy and it has problems, but I don't think it's bad, and it gets super interesting in like the last 5 minutes when it looks like the season is the set up for a really cool lone wolf and cub style show

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never got the love for season 1 in the first place. It feels like a show designed by committee to be the most prestigious grimdark show ever designed to win Emmys. Almost like a parody of a prestige show except it's playing it straight. I knew the moment the intro started that I would hate it. I feel the same way about Westworld. I liked the long tracking shot scene though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

I never got the love for season 1 in the first place. It feels like a show designed by committee to be the most prestigious grimdark show ever designed to win Emmys. Almost like a parody of a prestige show except it's playing it straight. I knew the moment the intro started that I would hate it. I feel the same way about Westworld. I liked the long tracking shot scene though.
TD Season 1 helped to define the style of prestige shows in the last half-decade. The reason 2 sucks is because it feels like a ripoff of its own show, just like a ton of other shows ripped it off. It has serious problems but being a ripoff wasn't one of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What? There were already shows like Sopranos, Deadwood, Wire, Americans, Breaking Bad, etc. I saw TD season 1 as it aired.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

What? There were already shows like Sopranos, Deadwood, Wire, Americans, Breaking Bad, etc. I saw TD season 1 as it aired.
I didn't think TD looked as much like those as later shows looked like TD, but I also haven't watched it since it first aired etiher.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

all hbo intros are pretty much the same

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Lol drat what an awful, jaded and cynical opinion

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

all hbo intros are pretty much the same

What show was it that had the sketch making fun of identical prestige show intros? Was it portlandia?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What show was it that had the sketch making fun of identical prestige show intros? Was it portlandia?

Family Guy

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Koalas March posted:

Blackish, Arrested Development, King of the Hill.

AD demands way too much attention IMO. Lots of visual gags too.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Only the first three seasons of AD though. Five sucks and though Four isn’t really bad I can’t see it working as background noise with how twisting and nonlinear it is.

Are we talking recut season four or is that a dumb question because it's obviously the only version that exists?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Are we talking recut season four or is that a dumb question because it's obviously the only version that exists?

Regular season four is pretty good.

I'd give season five a look too but, due to rights fuckery over in Australia, Netflix still doesn't have it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hell, season 3 wasn't very good

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The other problem someone once pointed out to me was that its essentially 5 episodes of exposition and then the last episode. I look back at it as amazing actors elevating some mediocre to good scripts.

Going back to Scrubs real quick, the main characters were meant to be flawed but ultimately decent people but they didn't want to be like other sitcoms where everything resets after an episode or two. But Bill Lawerence said he flaw was letting the writers essentially go nuts with characters because they were always on the verge of being cancelled every season. Seasons 1 - 3 are completely different in tone and writing than seasons 4 - 7. Lawerence basically killed JD and Elliot after the 3rd season because he thought the writers were doing a disservice to the characters and when season 8 was going to be for reals last season the writers came back to him. And they said absolutely not unless they could have them be mature. Season 8s tone was way closer to the original season to the later seasons and it shows.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread was the awkwardly racist things JD would say as the seasons got on despite the fact in early seasons he was way more smart about race issues. In fact JD's character was originally smart but a bit arrogant. Then it became JD is exaggerated Zach Braff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Scrubs is a pretty clear case of characters being caricatured parodies of themselves as the show goes on and the writers run out of ideas.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

BioEnchanted posted:

Something about Scrubs that someone on youtube pointed out that I found kind of funny was Carla and Turk stealing JD's apartment and the show not noticing it. Turk moved in with JD when they were interns, then Carla started spending time there when they started dating, then they start insisting JD move out because they're feeling like him living with them is pathetic? Dude, you're living with him, you're the ones who need to find your own place.

Thank you for saying this. I've always thought it was insane that the show didn't acknowledge it and that I'd missed something. They could have done a quick 10 second offside of JD agreeing to find his own place and transfer the lease but they couldn't be bothered. It really bugged me when I binge watched it some years ago. I even re-watched the episodes around that time to see if I missed something. It's just not there. JD's the one on the lease goddamn it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How much time passed? Maybe he had Turk put on the lease during a renewal

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Scrubs is a pretty clear case of characters being caricatured parodies of themselves as the show goes on and the writers run out of ideas.

I think that's mostly notable because it's across almost all characters having that happen, at the same time. Usually when a show does that to a character, it's one or two at a time. Like, Brooklyn 99 has clearly gone into that with Amy, but nobody else is treated that way.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Feb 24, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sir Lemming posted:

AD demands way too much attention IMO. Lots of visual gags too.

Not to sound like a crazy person but having Bob Ross on Twitch is a great thing in the background show. Because you can watch and then come back 10 minutes later and say "how the gently caress did he get there?"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

GoutPatrol posted:

Not to sound like a crazy person but having Bob Ross on Twitch is a great thing in the background show. Because you can watch and then come back 10 minutes later and say "how the gently caress did he get there?"

It's not a crazy person thing to say, he's wonderful to have on. Dude is a really relaxing presence even if you're not watching what he's doing closely.

Although you won't be looking at it when you're doing other things, the chat on his stream is also surprisingly goofy and chill

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hawowanlawow posted:

hell, season 3 wasn't very good

Arrested Development is a rough one for me because my family is a lot like a trashier version of the Bluths - act like they're richer and more important than they actually are, greedy, petty, manipulative, shallow, use "family" as a bludgeon to control their kids, etc. It's usually juuuuust over the top enough to be funny but it's a real fine line. So if the jokes aren't hitting with that season 1 spark, it's not worth watching.

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019
Can a tv show age poorly before it is even released? Because I'm willing to bet the upcoming half (final?) season of AD will qualify.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Whitlam posted:

Genuine question: did that episode lead to (or at least, reinforce) people reporting abuse not being taken seriously? My interpretation is also a little different to yours, although fair disclosure - I was born in the '90s and first watched it in the 2000s, so maybe that coloured my interpretation.

My interpretation could be totally off the mark, but given how generally left-wing the writers and the show generally is, I'd be surprised if they really were going for a message of "we should believe clergy", and watching it now, I still don't see it as them saying "anyone who accuses a priest is nuts", as much as it's them saying "check your facts, because not doing so, even on a story that seems reasonable at face value, can have consequences".

Oh, I understand what you're saying. The whole D-Gen/Working Dog team is so left wing they're almost a parody themselves.

The main issue I had with that one episode is that it took "here's a survivor of abuse" and made it a punchline.

Yes, by then "hosed by a priest" was a running joke pretty much everywhere, but there was still nothing being done about it in any meaningful way in Australia. It just really soured the episode for me.

Apart from that one thing, the show was absolutely on point.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

purple death ray posted:

Arrested Development is a rough one for me because my family is a lot like a trashier version of the Bluths - act like they're richer and more important than they actually are, greedy, petty, manipulative, shallow, use "family" as a bludgeon to control their kids, etc. It's usually juuuuust over the top enough to be funny but it's a real fine line. So if the jokes aren't hitting with that season 1 spark, it's not worth watching.

yeah, that would be an issue for me too, guess i'd have to watch it to know for sure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Yeah, I hated that but it recovered nicely imo

Its one of those we'll never know thing because it killed the show dead for us, which is a huge shame cause my spouse really dug how it helped them better understand african-american culture. On the other hand now they don't have wait for me to explain why I'm laughing at something the show they didn't explain yet/references they don't get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I couldn't get into Blackish, but what was so bad about the divorce plot?