Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Yeah, starting about now is why I'm asking; I wanted to get seeds and stuff ordered next week. ;)

Thanks for the tips - "totally lazy and clueless" sounds like the right level of education for where I'm at so far. I didn't want "you have to go build an outdoor greenhouse" to be the step 1 tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Picked up a bottle of this recently, it's really good. Not as hot as the regular habanero, much more salsa verde than hot sauce, but it does have some decent spice.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Welp, just put in an order at Puckerbutt... 10 different seed varieties, from Aleppo and an heirloom Jalapeno, a couple varieties each of Scotch Bonnet and Habaneros, and up to some 7 Pots, Scorpions and Reapers.

Hope I'm not getting too ambitious but I figure unless I get to building a greenhouse, all of this is cheap compared to racing.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Hell yeah dude, I ordered from different sites but they both threw in a bunch of freebies. Be sure to keep us updated.

Edit: Here's my germination station.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

PT6A posted:

If one requires help for that, please let me know if anything works. I love that poo poo, albeit more as a condiment than a hot sauce outright.

Also, I have a confession to make: I tried the "spicer" Habanero McChicken (is this a Canada-only thing?) and it's so not-spicy that it pissed me the gently caress off and I've been whinging about it for two days. It's less spicy than Sriracha, and at that point why even bother calling something spicy? I expect the soon-to-be-added Ghost Pepper McChicken might be nearly as spicy as Green Tabasco, but probably not.

Ghost pepper just sounds cool as a marketing term. Popeyes has "ghost pepper" wings that are really tasty, but are barely spicier than their normal "spicy" chicken. Basically a Louisiana hot sauce level of heat.

And yeah, the McDonalds thing is Canada only. I tried the jalapeño and it just tastes like normal mayo. No discernible heat at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I had ghost pepper wings at a pub once and my hands burned for like 12 hours afterward just from handling them. I've had ghost pepper salsa that's very pleasantly hot but not quite as hot as as, say, ground habanero powder. And then there's stuff that's barely spicy at all but still calls itself "ghost pepper." Could these companies get together and figure out what the gently caress they want to do with the ghost pepper moniker, if it's indeed just for marketing?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One of the latest episodes of ATK had a recipe for hand-pulled noodles with a spicy chili oil vinaigrette that looked absolutely awesome. Here's the recipe:

CHILI VINAIGRETTE

10 to 20 bird chiles, ground fine
½ cup vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
½ cinnamon stick
1 star anise pod
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons black vinegar
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
4 quarts water
1 tablespoon salt

Place chiles in large heatproof bowl. Place fine-mesh strainer over bowl and set aside. Combine vegetable oil, garlic, ginger, peppercorns, cinnamon, and star anise pod in small saucepan and heat over medium-high heat until sizzling. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer until garlic and ginger are slightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour through strainer into bowl with chiles; discard solids in strainer. Stir chile oil to combine and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and sugar until combined.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Got a link to it? I'm not seeing it in the recent videos on the ATK channel.

Also, holy poo poo, 10-20 bird chiles for 1/2 cup oil. That's gonna be... Spicier than I would have expected for ATK...

Edit: Found the article about it, but cannot view it without signing up. Their sign up flow appears to be broken because it says email is invalid, always, no matter the email put in...

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 21, 2019

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

Got a link to it? I'm not seeing it in the recent videos on the ATK channel.

Also, holy poo poo, 10-20 bird chiles for 1/2 cup oil. That's gonna be... Spicier than I would have expected for ATK...

That really depends on where those 4 quarts of water go.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ben Nevis posted:

That really depends on where those 4 quarts of water go.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I just assume it's for boiling the noodles.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Link here. I think the water is just for boiling the noodles, added them to the list by mistake.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
drat, those look great. I may make those this weekend.

As far as the chiles go, what they use in the video are not what I think of when I think of bird chiles. I think the tiny little thai chiles that pack quite a lot of heat. They use the medium-sized, dried red chiles you see in Chinese food that are not NEARLY as hot. 10-20 of THOSE, I can believe would be totally palatable.

The internet also seems to be confused what to call them.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Timby posted:

I can't stop putting Louisiana on everything, please send help.

Get a gallon of Crystal and thank me later.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mushika posted:

Get a gallon of Crystal and thank me later.

A tablespoon of crystal mixed with 3-4 drops of ghost pepper sauce is the second best on fried chicken. (The best is anything from a proper Nashville Hot Chicken place)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

Link here. I think the water is just for boiling the noodles, added them to the list by mistake.

Thanks for the link. Made these today. Added some smoked garlic shitakes for a little more umami and some meatiness. Freaking great.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My wife just got home from a trip and brought me some Carolina Reaper beef jerky.

It's so good.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

Thanks for the link. Made these today. Added some smoked garlic shitakes for a little more umami and some meatiness. Freaking great.

drat that looks delicious.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.tialupitahotsauce.com/shop-tia/tia-lupita-hot-sauce

World Market stores are a hell of a place apparently---like a giant synthesis of the random good foodstuffs section of a Marshall's and a Home Goods combined that achieves something of a Gestalt.

This stuff is pretty great, a real Face Warmer.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A tablespoon of crystal mixed with 3-4 drops of ghost pepper sauce is the second best on fried chicken. (The best is anything from a proper Nashville Hot Chicken place)

I just finished off a jar of Lillie's of Charleston Hab Mussy and imo it's an all-timer for anything fried and savory. Like, I'm actually glad it's not around anymore for diet purposes, haha.

Re: Nashville hot, I've never had the authentic stuff - I was in Nashville back in 2010 but it wasn't as much of a thing, at least on the level that tourists would know about it coming in. If anyone's in Chicago though, I can vouch for The Budlong having one of the best chicken sandwiches I've ever eaten.

QuarkMartial posted:

My wife just got home from a trip and brought me some Carolina Reaper beef jerky.

It's so good.

My dad's the kind of guy who gets presents from Beef Jerky Outlet and one thing I've learned from that is how amazing their reaper jerky tastes - I can just chaingun that stuff down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I tried the "Ghost Pepper" McChicken and it was actually recognizably spicy. Not ghost pepper-level, but with extra sauce it was a pleasant sandwich. I hope they keep the sauce around because it'd be pretty good for fries and such.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Taco Bell daredevil grillers, when they existed, were actually decently spicy for mass produced fast food.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm somewhat surprised properly-spicy fast food hasn't taken off too much. Growing up, you couldn't get a ridiculously hot sauce or salsa at a grocery store, now it's trivial. People are becoming more comfortable with spice in general I think, and it's a market that shouldn't be ignored outright.

I mean, yeah, when I have the time I much prefer to cook a good meal at home, but sometimes I've just worked a 14-hour day and I don't have the time or inclination to do so, so I'll lay down a bunt and pick up McD's or order pizza or something.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cost/benefit analysis. Is it worth having something super spicy that only a handful of people will eat, or something milder that a larger audience will go after? Yes hot sauce keeps pretty well but you have to buy in bulk in these cases, and the math doesn't add up nicely for those who like to turn their mouths into hell.

Long and short of it: it's been discussed, and apart from limited time offers (almost always from Taco Bell), it's not really worth it for the companies.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

This afternoon's project. 12 different varieties planted. A lot of jalapenos of a couple different varieties plus two varieties of Scotch Bonnet, two of Habanero, Serranos, Aji Colorados, Aleppos, 7 Pot Browns, Chocolate Scorpions and because gently caress it, Carolina Reapers too.

I'm narrowing in on my first recipe, which is supermarket based but tasty - got the idea for Cutino's Chipotle but diverged significantly. Chipotle, pineapple, habaneros, all sorts of good stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doom Rooster posted:

ATK isn't afraid of spice now that Chris Kimball is long-gone.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Hi, it's me again, the idiot who previously in this thread blew his guts out through his rear end over a period of 6 hours after eating a whole Carolina Reaper.

The hot sauce/British food shop in my city (https://www.facebook.com/pastyworld/) decided to have a hot wings challenge, and I was there! 6 wings, 20 minutes, and then a 5 minute burn period after the last wing.

About 30 of us started. I cruised through the first four wings, which were coated in various Psycho Juice sauces, based on your regular ghost peppers and other hot stuff. These were all made from just the fruit, with no capsaicin extract. Several people quit on these or were bright red with running sweats, but to me they tasted good, and although they were very hot, it was still manageable if not so much enjoyable.

Then came the fifth wing. Covered in a sauce with a deep red color that still haunts me, the host said that it had extract in it, and a 600,000 scoville rating. He told us After 20 seconds we would be feeling fine. After 30 seconds we would long for being back at 20 seconds.

Like the other wings, I just scarfed it down quick, and prepared to deal with the heat. If the four other wings were stair steps going up in heat after each other, this one was like suddenly jumping to another planet! It hit me hard, and I had to quit there, or I would have thrown up if I tried to eat anything hotter than that. I had to go outside and do a whole lot of spitting and getting my wife to bring me ice cream and chocolate milk.

We drove to a friends house for movie night, and just as I was parking the car I could feel it hit my digestive system, HARD! I threw my car keys to my wife, and started to make it towards my friends house to demolish his bathroom. I made it just to his neighbors outdoor stairs, when it was game over and it all came up. I barfed loud enough to make his neighbors come out to check what the hell was going on and to see if I needed any help, and I told them I had some food poisoning that hit suddenly, since I didn't want to explain the whole thing.

Since everything came up fast and at once, I didn't have any more bad consequences.

That is my wings challenge story. We have been escalating hot sauce and hot snacks things at work, and until someone eats the 6th wing, I'm the biggest idiot and the most badass so far.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

:golfclap:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

evobatman posted:

Hi, it's me again, the idiot who previously in this thread blew his guts out through his rear end over a period of 6 hours after eating a whole Carolina Reaper.

I grew reapers last year, and I ate half of one raw. It was a miserable experience - immediate pain, then nausea lasting for about an hour. After that, I just used one or two peppers for a 12 ounce bottle of sauce.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mischief posted:

Zombie Apocalypse is probably the more flexible sauce of the two, especially for fried foods.

My order from Heat came in the other day and Zombie Apocalypse (great texture, it's nice and thick and goes really well on pizza) is up there with Sam and Oliver Blackheart Cherry Reaper (the first cherry-based sauce that gives me both cherry flavor and heat) as my personal favorites.

Cutino's Habanero and Heartbreaking Dawns Skylarking Anytime are both solid but I don't see myself buying them again over other options, and Yellowbird Habanero has some kind of really unpleasant running through it (maybe a bitter batch of onions or something?) that I really don't enjoy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Bottled my first ever hot sauce! Guajillo and arbol, a little ginger and garlic, a little orange and lemon. It's a nice Caribbean flavor.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Nice! That sounds like a tasty combination.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

I watch a LOT of ATK/CC stuff and I can tell you that ever since Christopher Kimball got fired for stealing recipes and employees so he could spin off his own show, they've been doing recipes with MUCH more flavor (salty, spicy, sour, sweet, etc). Every time they'd do something with even a hint of black pepper or even crushed red pepper flakes when he still ran things, he'd make a huge show about how "it's so spicy!!" or "you know I can't handle spice!" and they toned things down for him.

But Bridgette and Julia aren't babies so they're allowing much better recipes.

Milk Street Kitchen, Kimball's new show and magazine line, is as bland as the title, however. It's a direct rip of the ATK/CC shows and it shows. Stolen recipes, staff, and all.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I watch a LOT of ATK/CC stuff and I can tell you that ever since Christopher Kimball got fired for stealing recipes and employees so he could spin off his own show, they've been doing recipes with MUCH more flavor (salty, spicy, sour, sweet, etc). Every time they'd do something with even a hint of black pepper or even crushed red pepper flakes when he still ran things, he'd make a huge show about how "it's so spicy!!" or "you know I can't handle spice!" and they toned things down for him.

But Bridgette and Julia aren't babies so they're allowing much better recipes.

Milk Street Kitchen, Kimball's new show and magazine line, is as bland as the title, however. It's a direct rip of the ATK/CC shows and it shows. Stolen recipes, staff, and all.

Yeah, the both the ATK podcast and TV show have gotten so much better post-Kimball. He was such a baby about anything unless it included a metric pound of salt.

gently caress him, anyway, for running around on both of his ex-wives.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 10, 2019

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Puckerbutt's smokin' racha is probably my favorite of all time. Really fullness of flavor while being on the higher level of heat. It goes in soups and micheladas for me.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Couple drive by reviews of new ones I opened today-

Big Fat's 708 Optimus Primo - really takes advantage of the slow creep from the 7-Pot Primo and loads the flavor with sweet citrus and almost jam like flavors, then a solid slow creeping heat from the pepper. It's good on wings but not a really multi purpose sauce I can figure. They've reworked the formula a few times since I got this bottle to be hotter but it seems like it would just be a sweet/rear end wrecking novelty. Decent wing sauce.

Hellfire Fiery Fool - banks hard on being mostly Reaper mash, and I think it suffers for it. Harsh and a little acrid on the nose, difficult to pour, and then just solid heat. It's not extract level misery but it's hot and should be given some room. It is interesting to be able to taste the different front runners for superhot peppers in one mash but I think this one is mostly academic.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
'nother few

Exhorresco - drat that's hot. Hot early, stays hot. Slight aluminum finish but that isn't abnormal with these peppers. Feels like it falls victim to the arms race... trying too hard to be too hot.

Culley's Roasted Carolina Reaper - Slow burn to an otherwise really flavorful sauce. Really cool to see the roasted reaper peppers, adds a little sweetness and burns off the previously mentioned hot metal nose. Will leave your lips numb for a while.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Lacto pickling a couple pounds of habaneros for hot sauce experiments and hot a whiff of them... holy cow, that's a delicious funk. Explains a lot of the flavor notes Matouk's stuff has. Going to try to do a batch of my hot chipotle sauce with it this week, I think.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Thoughts on Secret Aardvark?

I'm not a chilihead so my thoughts atm are "AHHHH TOO MUCH IT BURNS!"

Delicious though.

E: my lips are spasming. Interesting feeling to experience. I like interesting.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 21, 2019

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Secret Aardvark's one of my "always keep handy" sauces. I found out about it last year and have gone through 4-5 bottles since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah, Secret Aardvark is one of the thread darlings. I didn't think it was that hot though! Glad you're enjoying it :)