Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pie might have been my favorite foster. It just seemed like there was s lot of great personality under that grumpy exterior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
A lot of love around here on a tough night. Not going to lie, I'm definitely swimming in a bunch of tough feels myself. Thank you all for being here, and for having been here.

Made one last video, it's mostly me talking, but it features everyone's favorite boy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgOcwowyKd0

This thread ain't going anywhere. I do hope that people keep fostering and I'm happy to chime in when I can. One day, I dream of my teaching my daughter all about fostering and entrusting her with a litter of her own. If these dead gay forums are still chugging, you can drat well bet that story will be told right here. Until then, I am so grateful for those of you who keep the tradition going!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Chili posted:

A lot of love around here on a tough night. Not going to lie, I'm definitely swimming in a bunch of tough feels myself. Thank you all for being here, and for having been here.

Made one last video, it's mostly me talking, but it features everyone's favorite boy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgOcwowyKd0

This thread ain't going anywhere. I do hope that people keep fostering and I'm happy to chime in when I can. One day, I dream of my teaching my daughter all about fostering and entrusting her with a litter of her own. If these dead gay forums are still chugging, you can drat well bet that story will be told right here. Until then, I am so grateful for those of you who keep the tradition going!

Thank you for letting me name one of the fishkitties. (it was Mako)

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I hope your other cat, whose name is escaping me, gets a great new home too. Cat Herder and I are both too far away and have a full house right now or we would have offered to take either of them. Good luck to Butters in his next home. We'll still be in this thread to help other foster parents, don't worry.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Chili posted:

If I wasn't several states away and not 100% convinced that my folks could stick to his feeding schedule, I would have probably PM'd about a possible adopt. My mom lost her old ginger Methuselah last year (21 years old!), and has been on again off again considering homing a new cat that needs it. I was chatting with her about it the other day, though; she works in a retirement home and has been thinking about approaching a centenarian that has a couple cats and doesn't yet have a place for them to go when it's time, so there's that. I think she's going to spend some time with them and see if it's a good match so she can put the offer on the table, which is :3: --I hope it works out.

Hope it works out with you guys, too. I had to make a really rough decision when I had a breakup, which ultimately came down switching to a new place and, as a result, having to rehome my two cats for a short period of time. One of them is nearly 16, so coming to grips with knowing that I might not be there when he goes was really rough, but my living situation just wasn't allowing for taking the cats with me. I see them/spend time with them every week, though, and I hope to be getting them back this year. All this is to say: that last video was one long exercise in 'man I so feel you.'

Thanks for sharing all of this. I've been a loooong-time lurker in this thread, and previously the Cute thread, and have really enjoyed watching the updates/foster updates. Just, you know, be sure to document the meet and greet, and if they give you weird looks, just shrug and say 'idk he's internet famous, I don't have any other choice.' I'm sure they'll understand and not think it strange and/or alarming.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 17, 2019

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Chili posted:

Thanks for all the Butterscotch content these past few years. I still remember those first posts about the fattest cat I'd ever seen, with the saddest eyes. You guys did an incredible job getting him in shape!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How is that the same cat? No one would ever look at Butters and think "Yes, this cat was once the size and shape of a blimp."

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The very second I get into a situation where I can foster without breaking a lease I will. Wife was super eager about a young hurricane harvey kitty that was about 25 lbs, wanting to help that kitty get back to help, partially thanks to the butters story.

For now we're happy to volunteer at a rescue shelter, making sure the cats we see are super loved and given only the best of scritches.

You're good, man!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
All right, Butters is in his new potential home.

It was tough and I'm definitely a little disheartened. But, as I said in my video, cats gonna cat.

Here is, looking highly distraught:

This picture was taken literally 5 minutes after he arrived. Cats gonna cat.

And with his new prospective owner:

She's a total sweetheart and will be great for him. She's a very serious college student who wants some companionship at school as she's busy with work. Butterscotch is a wonderful lap kitty while doing paperwork; it's a good match.

So again, Butterscotch is going to be just fine. If anything, he'll be happier than he was in a crowded house with a baby who was competing for his attention. I know that I had slowed down a lot with posting pictures, but I 100% vow to you all I will forward along whatever I get from his new people.

Thanks again for all of your support. It's meant the world to me and has made this whole process a lot less heartbreaking.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
If you think about it, Butters is really a 100% foster success. It's always bittersweet when a foster goes to their forever home.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

wheatpuppy posted:

If you think about it, Butters is really a 100% foster success. It's always bittersweet when a foster goes to their forever home.

Ha, you know I never considered that he just went from 'foster failure' to 'foster success' but I guess, in a way, that's sort of what happened!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Chili posted:

I know that I had slowed down a lot with posting pictures, but I 100% vow to you all I will forward along whatever I get from his new people.

I'll love and appreciate any Butters content you give us, but please don't stress over this if it becomes difficult to deliver. You've already shared so much of that cat with us Internet randos, and I don't want you to feel like you owe us anything. Just seeing him go from Saddest Cat-Brick In The World to that healthy, contented guy he is now has been a joy.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

I'll love and appreciate any Butters content you give us, but please don't stress over this if it becomes difficult to deliver. You've already shared so much of that cat with us Internet randos, and I don't want you to feel like you owe us anything. Just seeing him go from Saddest Cat-Brick In The World to that healthy, contented guy he is now has been a joy.

I do appreciate that. Frankly, posting pictures here makes me happy and having the reminder to forward them over when I get them will be a good thing.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Chili posted:

I do appreciate that. Frankly, posting pictures here makes me happy and having the reminder to forward them over when I get them will be a good thing.

Photo albums have been replaced with hitting ? in a thread.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chili posted:

She's a total sweetheart and will be great for him. She's a very serious college student who wants some companionship at school as she's busy with work. Butterscotch is a wonderful lap kitty while doing paperwork; it's a good match.
Does his new owner know he is an internet sensation?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

spookygonk posted:

Does his new owner know he is an internet sensation?

Haha, they do. In fact, when they came over last night, her mom gave me a very concerned look and asked "are you going to be ok?" She had looked at his Twitter and had seen how attached I had gotten. If they have any interest at all, I'll gladly toss over the keys to that account, but I didn't want to freak them out right away.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Quick heads up y'all:

The attempted adoption of Bscotch didn't go well. The potential owners were not a good fit. For right now, he's back with us. Accordingly, I'm going to be taking up LaB on their offer to post a thread to the main subforum about trying to rehome my boys.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm sorry to hear that the adoption fell through, but I'm glad you're looking out for Butters and making sure he finds a great forever home.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh gosh, poor sweetie. :ohdear: Hope he gets a good home soon.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Did you execute them for being unworthy?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Guess I might as well crosspost this too.

I. M. Gei posted:

Well this sucks. Today I found a couple of the ferals that live in my yard dead with no obvious signs of injury, and I’m starting to suspect that one of my next door neighbors may have poisoned them.

gently caress. :(

How do I report a possible cat killer in my neighborhood now that I have an actual house address to give someone?

Also where do I take a dead cat for an autopsy?

I’ve been suspecting that someone in my neighborhood has been killing cats for awhile now, but this is the first time I have an idea of an exact home address to point the cops and/or ASPCA to. I’m just not really sure how to get them to give a gently caress, or whether I need hard proof that the cats were poisoned. Unfortunately I don’t think I have enough money to autopsy them, so if I need proof they were poisoned then I’m kinda SOL.

I’m also worried that this neighbor might try to hurt me or my family if I call the cops on them, since they’ll know for sure that the call came from my house. I’m still gonna report them, I just don’t want the situation to escalate.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I don’t think you’d need hard proof, but I’ll ask a friend who works for a city animal shelter if they have some tips/info that can help you.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
what would john wick do?

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
We live far away and already have three cats - including Butterscotch's doppleganger. Otherwise we'd be all over adopting Butters.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Sneaking in here for a quick question.

So, I'm fostering a new cat: 5 years old, former housecat (we think) that was abandoned on the street. He's got some injuries from that.

He arrived 3 days ago, found the futon under my bed and is living there in my bedroom. He clearly sneaks out when I'm asleep and out, since food disappears and the litter box is used. If I lie down on my stomach and reach under, he'll let me pet him for a while and purr, but he sure as hell isn't coming out.

Any tips to help me? Because sooner or later I'm going to have to catch him and get him back to the vet for a check up, and right now I can't even get to him.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

coolusername posted:

Sneaking in here for a quick question.

So, I'm fostering a new cat: 5 years old, former housecat (we think) that was abandoned on the street. He's got some injuries from that.

He arrived 3 days ago, found the futon under my bed and is living there in my bedroom. He clearly sneaks out when I'm asleep and out, since food disappears and the litter box is used. If I lie down on my stomach and reach under, he'll let me pet him for a while and purr, but he sure as hell isn't coming out.

Any tips to help me? Because sooner or later I'm going to have to catch him and get him back to the vet for a check up, and right now I can't even get to him.
Spend time in that room sitting quietly, not trying to interact with him but with treats at hand. Let him get used to you and the space as nonthreatening, and treat lavishly if/when he emerges on his own.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

wheatpuppy posted:

Spend time in that room sitting quietly, not trying to interact with him but with treats at hand. Let him get used to you and the space as nonthreatening, and treat lavishly if/when he emerges on his own.

To add to that, the ultimate secret tech for shy kitties is to sort of give chin scratches to the air while looking away. Very often I can get strays to come over and hang out with me doing it. And then once you've scratched their chins for 30+ seconds they tend to be pretty cool with you interacting with them more directly.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You might be able to coax him out to play with string on a stick, or a laser pointer if that's too threatening. But some cats are just scared and want to hide for a while and you just gotta let them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wheatpuppy posted:

im gonna second this option. some kittons just need some time to stabilize, and get their bearings. some take longer than others.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Progress! I’ve been spending lots of time quietly on my phone, reading, etc. nearby and the cat has begun to randomly yell at me and has left two times from under the bed to dart out for water and snacks rather than waiting until I was asleep.

I assume the randomly yelling bit is progress at least.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

It certainly is with my super skittish cat. Whenever she comes out of hiding she feels the need to yell a lot, I guess to let the world know she's scary and not to mess with her?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

coolusername posted:

Progress! I’ve been spending lots of time quietly on my phone, reading, etc. nearby and the cat has begun to randomly yell at me and has left two times from under the bed to dart out for water and snacks rather than waiting until I was asleep.

I assume the randomly yelling bit is progress at least.

nice. as they progress id say slowly move the food and water closer to your chill position over time, and just keep doing what you are doing. just building on that trust relationship.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
A goddamn piece of poo poo garbage dick motherfucker ditched a dog in front of my house again. I loving hate people so much.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

A goddamn piece of poo poo garbage dick motherfucker ditched a dog in front of my house again. I loving hate people so much.

I am sorry about that

This is a handsome fuckin dog tho

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
*sigh*

its just become a routine now. miss frog is not even surprised.

so i do my morning get up and walk out out on the porch around 7:30 ish i was trying to "sleep in"

big old diesel truck just dead stops on the dirt road on the dirt road at the edge of my place.

hear a dude talking, and im just like nuh fuckin uh and yell at the guy "you better not be ditching a dog here rear end in a top hat"

dude slams his truck and just drives off with this poor loving dog thats like 10-20 pounds underweight ribs showing everywhere trying to loving keep up

at this point i hadnt even had my coffee yet and i start swearing up a storm, grabbed my car keys and just peeled out of my driveway after them

well dude just screamed off and the dog got distracted by something on the side of the road

i stop the car throw the hazards on and get out of the car

black dude just glides past me on a bike, guy says "morning"

im currently barefoot pajama pants and inside out t shirt and still with crazy morning hair just screeched up to a dead stop on the road popped my hazards on and im like "morning sir" then i go check on the dog. dog is skinny and lovely looking but seems nice.

open my passenger door and im like "want to go?"

dog jumps in the car

so i got back in the car then it hit me what had distracted the dog, old dead fish.

i know this because the dog immediately jumped in my lap and started licking my face and that is a distinctive smell, also.. the pile of random dead fish that somehow was on the loving side of the road i mean who loving just oh poo poo time to dispose of my fish *throws out car window*

anyhow i drive a manual little tinycar, and the dog just jumps into the back seat from my lap. im like ok cool, drive back down to the house, close the gate, park and then let the dog out.

dog seems cool but way too skinny, its a girl, she had puppies recently. yell into the house if miss frog could bring some food, did not have to explain anything else or even mention a dog, and naturally she comes out in like a minute or so with food and water.

she got a bath, and her nails clipped, and some dental chews because holy gently caress fish smell.

she is currently passed out on the floor with the rest of the dogs leashed to miss frog because yeah they like bonded instantly.

doesnt know what the gently caress toys are.

so thats been my morning,

the vet isnt open till tomorrow and she dont seem remotely as hosed up as some of the ones that come through sneakyhouse but she needs like 10-15 pounds on her for sure. just keeping her on a leash until we determine how bad prey drive is, there are still 3 cats zapping around and most dogs need a bit of training with that.

anyone in fl need a very sweet pretty doggo?

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I love you Sneakyfrog. You are the patron saint of dogs in need.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

That's a good boy and you're a good dog dad.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
miss frog deserves more credit than i

i just happen to be the idiot who lives here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I love the word "sneakyhouse". Hope things turn out all right for everyone involved.