Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What's that list of the usually-missed files? There's gotta be just one I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Vakal posted:

I don't remember seeing much modding done with RE 7. Was it harder to make changes to it for some reason, or did people just not really care?

its the same engine as this game so probably the latter

*edit* glancing at the modding forum the fact that its first person is the main reason no one bothered

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hey buddy I like you and all but if I ever see you write those words :

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the Irons impregnation scene

ever again I will hunt you down like the dog you are

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In a game where you inspect a cop whose face has been shredded by a licker in glorious HD with his jaw hanging off, the most disgusting thing is the knowledge that Birkin technically impregnated his daughter.

Replace Leon with Chief Irons when?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Whoever said RE2 borrows from Terminator 2 wasn't kidding. For some reason I hadn't noticed all the similarities and references before. Off the top of my head:

Pretty sure Claire has the same bike as the T-100.

Leon's Remington 870 with the longbarrel is the same weapon Sarah uses against the T-1000 in the smelting plant.

Birkin 2 fight with the claws through the ceiling is a reference to the T-1000 stabbing through the elevator roof when Sarah and the gang escape from the hospital.

Claire's M79 and Minigun are the same model that the T-100 uses.

Claire's post-sewer look def gives me Sarah Connor vibes.

I'm sure there's a bunch I'm missing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Whoever said RE2 borrows from Terminator 2 wasn't kidding. For some reason I hadn't noticed all the similarities and references before. Off the top of my head:

Leon's Remington 870 with the longbarrel is the same weapon Sarah uses against the T-1000 in the smelting plant.

Birkin 2 fight with the claws through the ceiling is a reference to the T-1000 stabbing through the elevator roof when Sarah and the gang escape from the hospital.

In the original Mr X turns clawsome after being dropped in a smelting pit.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I was really surprised when I got the file achievement, because I'm not even sure which ones I'd been missing. I don't remember which file popped it, but I think it was a random one in the sewers on Claire B, and not one of Leon's notes.

Does anyone have tips and tricks for Hardcore? I was trying Leon B, and kept getting my poo poo wrecked. I was trying to take out legs with the .45, but do you get less ammo on Hardcore? The double lunge is taking me some time to get used to. I'm trying for S+, so am I just trying to be too fast and getting sloppy that way?

Speaking of fast, I can cut time by skipping the Diamond Key entirely, can't I? I don't think Leon needs it for any reason and I can't think of uses for it beyond that linen room and the interrogation room, but is there anything necessary in that room?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Party Boat posted:

In the original Mr X turns clawsome after being dropped in a smelting pit.

Also big rear end exploding trucks

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Speaking of fast, I can cut time by skipping the Diamond Key entirely, can't I? I don't think Leon needs it for any reason and I can't think of uses for it beyond that linen room and the interrogation room, but is there anything necessary in that room?

The extra 2 slots can be really helpful for the last couple of boss fights. The extra pouch in the lab is also not necessary but it lets you stock up on healing items and ammo for G3/4/5 and or super tyrant

I would only skip them if you were having trouble getting under 2:30

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I got more of a Ripley from Aliens vibe than Sarah Conner but it's still Cameron.

Also is it just me or does Claire in the tank top look a bit like reboot Lara Croft?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

joylessdivision posted:

Also is it just me or does Claire in the tank top look a bit like reboot Lara Croft?

Impossible. Claire has an actual personality.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

joylessdivision posted:

I got more of a Ripley from Aliens vibe than Sarah Conner but it's still Cameron.
Makes sense, given that her main adversary goes around impregnating people.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

joylessdivision posted:

CV Claire dual wields uzis which is another "More Laura than reboot Laura" point.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Joining the 57/58 Club; mysterious last file that isn't that note in the Orphanage.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've done Leon A Standard and Claire B Standard, got like B and C ratings respectively, don't think I unlocked anything that would help in new runs.

Any suggestion for what mode/run/difficulty/speed etc I should do next, ideally with an unlockable that would make eventual Hardcore S+ runs easier?!?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've done Leon A Standard and Claire B Standard, got like B and C ratings respectively, don't think I unlocked anything that would help in new runs.

Any suggestion for what mode/run/difficulty/speed etc I should do next, ideally with an unlockable that would make eventual Hardcore S+ runs easier?!?

The only unlockable you can use in S+ is the infinite knife, and you get that for smashing all the raccoon statues. Going for a standard or hardcore S is a good first start though, same time limit as the S+ but you can save however many times you want to.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The internet is a cesspit at the best of times but it's worth existing for this alone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Joining the 57/58 Club; mysterious last file that isn't that note in the Orphanage.
For me the last file was in the middle of my first time through Leon B, and that being where I got the Lore Explorer notification up made me wonder.

Everyone is talking about the orphanage. But how many people are running past the B side specific notes left behind by Leon/Claire in the stars office and by the NEST train?

How many people are just grabbing the nearby items and leaving on autopilot?

EDIT: On that note, I guess the official timeline is Leon A, or Leon B "No time to read" because Claire left you a loving note about saving a kid, Leon.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 24, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

When this happened to me, it was because I'd missed one of Leon's notes in Claire's second run.

So it turns out I at some point got Code Veronica and now that it's on Xbox One, it was available to download and I've been playing it with my son. His verdict? The controls are stupid, and Alfred is stupid. Claire is still awesome, though.

However, having not played this game in a while, I've found myself stuck: I know I need the painting that is in the biological contaminant room, but that room is still blocked off even though I have already encountered Wesker and used the blue ant. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to get back into that room.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 24, 2019

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think I'm hosed. I am on G3 and I have no healing items, begin the fight in caution health, have no magnum rounds, no flamethrower ammo, and about 10 shotgun rounds. Plenty of Matilda ammo. In case you can't tell I'm not very good at this game.

With these supplies and my skills I can't even beat the fight on assisted mode. I haven't liked the game as much since I left the RPD so I guess I'm quitting here.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

So it turns out I at some point got Code Veronica and now that it's on Xbox One, it was available to download and I've been playing it with my son. His verdict? The controls are stupid, and Alfred is stupid. Claire is still awesome, though.

The nerd in me wants to :goonsay: about the controls but your son is right. Tank Controls are rear end even if I have convinced myself into loving them through some kind of survival horror game Stockholm Syndrome.

I can't for the life of me remember Alfred or really any of the plot of CV, although after reading the bit someone wrote about the Ashford Twins earlier in the thread I was shocked that I had forgotten something so batshit about an RE plot.

I say that having watched at least two of those convoluted animated movies. Did those ever actually get good? I don't think I finished Damnation.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

blue squares posted:

I think I'm hosed. I am on G3 and I have no healing items, begin the fight in caution health, have no magnum rounds, no flamethrower ammo, and about 10 shotgun rounds. Plenty of Matilda ammo. In case you can't tell I'm not very good at this game.

With these supplies and my skills I can't even beat the fight on assisted mode. I haven't liked the game as much since I left the RPD so I guess I'm quitting here.

Is this with or without running around the room like a frightened chicken hoovering up the loot? Granted the vast majority of it is a shitload of handgun ammo, there are at least a couple magnum rounds and a bit of flamethrower fuel to shoot and scoot with. I think one first aid spray and at least one hand grenade too.

It will take longer, but if you don't have any leftover gunpowders (I'm assuming the 'only 10 shotgun shells' is from the free last second high grades they give you in the G sample room) save your shotgun for when he's in his stunned phases/final phase, and be bold and flamethrower (once you find the ammo) his back while he's lifting scenery for the 'longer=more damage' bonus then run behind a wall. And use the like, 2-3 magnum rounds for the final phase after he throws the big pillar.

Matilda is real loving good at popping his temporary weak points, so the 60+ handgun ammo laying around should help your hump be the final phase rather than the whole fight.

Of course, then you will be on to "Oh Jesus, I have no ammo and one first aid spray for Super X" :shepface: (Save the free hand grenade in G3 to stun Super X out of one of his instant kill charges.)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 24, 2019

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

blue squares posted:

Run. A lot. There are a ton of items in the G3 arena, with at least one health spray to the upper left of where you drop in (or its upper right, check the map)

They also give you a pretty good selection of ammo throughout and it does generate more as you get him through the phases.

The beginning of the fight when you first land and he does his roar at you, you can run right past him. Either left or right, but he's in that animation long enough to get away.

G3 is a real pain in the rear end, don't get me wrong, but it's doable. Keep moving, get the health spray asap and run like hell.

You can also straight up run around a lot of his attacks. You have to keep the camera moving so you can keep an eye on where he is and what he's doing.

If you're facing him and he winds up up his left, run around his right.

Don't feel bad about dying a bunch. I did on my standard S run and I took a break and came back and died a few more times then finally got him.

Learn from the deaths, like Bloodborne.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

However, having not played this game in a while, I've found myself stuck: I know I need the painting that is in the biological contaminant room, but that room is still blocked off even though I have already encountered Wesker and used the blue ant. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to get back into that room.

drat I just beat CV but I'm brainfarting on that section. I'd recommend skipping through Carcinogen's playthrough right quick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yerogbnEFwA

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Learn from the deaths, like Bloodborne.

Yeah. Since I was a kid I have always hated boss fights and even really hard games. I like games that are easy (combat wise), with puzzles, exploration, story, etc. Any time I have to fight a lot and it is difficult, and ESPECIALLY any boss fight in pretty much any game ever, I just don't have fun with it. I suppose I am a gaming weenie

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

drat I just beat CV but I'm brainfarting on that section. I'd recommend skipping through Carcinogen's playthrough right quick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yerogbnEFwA

Thanks for the link, but in true gamer fashion, as soon as I complained about it on the internet, I figured it out. I had missed a doorway for the Indigo card, allowing me into the security room so I could use the camera on the picture, which conveniently causes the ventilation to finish.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

blue squares posted:

Yeah. Since I was a kid I have always hated boss fights and even really hard games. I like games that are easy (combat wise), with puzzles, exploration, story, etc. Any time I have to fight a lot and it is difficult, and ESPECIALLY any boss fight in pretty much any game ever, I just don't have fun with it. I suppose I am a gaming weenie

Oh, I'm not saying I don't rage like an idiot when I lose a boss battle. Generally I agree with your perspective, I don't mind a little challenge but there's something about a really great game that's also challenging in a way that makes sense that it makes me want to keep trying.

RE2 has some incredibly difficult moments, but once you start understanding how things work, it opens up strategy.

Mr. X is a perfect example. First time you play and encounter him he's terrifying. By your third play through, X becomes "Oh that rear end in a top hat I know how to juke and dodge and clown on"

Until he clowns on you :stonk:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

joylessdivision posted:

Mr. X is a perfect example. First time you play and encounter him he's terrifying. By your third play through, X becomes "Oh that rear end in a top hat I know how to juke and dodge and clown on"

Until he clowns on you :stonk:
Leon's trip to the records room is clearly Mister X's favorite part of the game. Claire just makes him look like an idiot 24/7 even when lickers join the party. With the exception that Leon can always pop X in the face with a single magnum round for a generous stun time (Can't craft flashbangs, while Mag ammo can't be used as a defense item. It's a very liberating realization to have when you don't want to backtrack or risk a hit).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 24, 2019

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Section Z posted:

Leon's trip to the records room is clearly Mister X's favorite part of the game.

It only took me like 20 attempts to figure out one well placed flashbang can get you out of there without firing a shot.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Basticle posted:

It only took me like 20 attempts to figure out one well placed flashbang can get you out of there without firing a shot.
And it's the fact it took you 20 time for Leon that brings X such joy over that hallway.

To be fair, I've also been been trained to not get complacent in expecting flashbangs to work consistently on anything but lickers, or defense item triggers.

"G2 time again, not a single hit from the ceiling claws. Now that Birkin is fully in the room, time to toss a flashbang and waltz right past like last time-oh he didn't even flinch my world is pain." On the bright side, my sine wave of a skill curve kicked in and that was the first time I didn't get hit even once during the fight proper.

In my incredibly slow and cautious play, the vast majority of my injuries seem to be cases of "This will stun/flinch them for sure-oh, it didn't. welp." like that one Licker in the parking garage hallway for Claire. Every other licker in the game is a pushover for Claire. But with my luck, that one only gets angry if I shoot it off the ceiling with a flame round instead of trying to sneak by/use a flashbang.

Along those lines, my only death by plant boy was after hosing them down with 70+ flamethrower fuel (And them walking over the burning remains of another plant boy). "Burning to death will interrupt his grab any minute... any minute.... okay maybe I should have used the knife."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 24, 2019

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I remember at least one Terminator thing in RE3 too, one of the bonus weapons for defeating Nemesis is the lever action shotgun that Arnold uses in Terminator 2, Jill even spins it to load a new shell like he does during the motorcycle chase in the movie.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I remember at least one Terminator thing in RE3 too, one of the bonus weapons for defeating Nemesis is the lever action shotgun that Arnold uses in Terminator 2, Jill even spins it to load a new shell like he does during the motorcycle chase in the movie.

I'm also fairly convinced that the reason they used the M202 rocket launcher model they did in both RE2 and RE3 was because it's the one Rae Dawn Chong uses in Commando. M202s were pretty well obsolete by the late '80s.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leavemywife posted:

I always do it because I need that pouch in the weapons locker and you need the 2 and 3 key to get it.

But, no. You don't "need" it at all to progress the story

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I don't bother with the locker room safe pouch most times because I dislike the spare key portable safes, especially when I am trying to go fast.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Thanks for the link, but in true gamer fashion, as soon as I complained about it on the internet, I figured it out. I had missed a doorway for the Indigo card, allowing me into the security room so I could use the camera on the picture, which conveniently causes the ventilation to finish.

Oh poo poo that's right! Yeah I got stuck on that part too. It's just tucked in a weird corner in the game world that your brain doesn't really remember.

Wanderer posted:

I'm also fairly convinced that the reason they used the M202 rocket launcher model they did in both RE2 and RE3 was because it's the one Rae Dawn Chong uses in Commando. M202s were pretty well obsolete by the late '80s.

I liked how Leon (in the original) uses a stinger missile launcher against the final boss, which is incapable of firing on ground targets. Whatever, it looks cool!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

the M202 dosent even shoot explosives, it shoots incendiaries and replaced flamethrowers.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I like that you can easily justify the gigantic number of weapons as well - Umbrella wanted combat data, Wesker was their man on the ground, just get top funding and buy shitloads of decommissioned surplus weapons of all eras from the military and stockpile them for testing, or in case of emergency

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
In case of emergency lickers, please smash glass marked 'rocket launcher'

OSHA has come a long way since 1998

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Leavemywife posted:

Its 100% optional for Leon. Claire needs it to open the office that has the elevator controls to take her up to Chief Irons' office, but after that, its completely unnecessary unless you want to hit up the linen room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am horrified to realize I am imagining up an edited and cleaned up RE timeline and plot in my head.