Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
i solved it by ripping the mod out of the game files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Themage posted:

i solved it by ripping the mod out of the game files

idk if you did this already but a dev might be able to tell you how to do this without breaking something else

Sparkyhodgo posted:

Unfortunately I think Reddit stole most of the discussion.

ehh idk, the discord is very active with both players and devs.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Trying out Anomaly. Seems cool, but is it normal for the audio to be totally broken half of the time? A lot of things like grenades or gunshots from NPCs will make no sound at all, I just hear the bullets/shrapnel hitting the dirt. Tried restarting a few times with different settings with no noticeable change.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I've had huge issues with Anomaly. When it works it's great, but I'll experience random crashes and for some reason I can't restart the game unless I reboot my computer. I don't know why, but it won't load if it's not the first thing I click on as soon as my computer reboots. I messaged the dev on ModDB but got no reply.

It's annoying as hell and is why I don't play it anymore.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
use the discord linked on the anomaly moddb forum.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So is DESOLATE any good/a decent substitute for STALKER or is my friend who's into it just a lunatic?

E: Not gonna lie, the videos and the fact that said friend still likes DayZ isn't really selling me on it

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
looks more like dead island than stalker imo.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Maybe I'm playing too much EVE (I am), but there needs to be a hauling service for items you put in the boxes near traders. I can't handle the amount of items Anomaly is throwing at me, even after getting a damaged exoskeleton 5mins from a new run. I know you're supposed to use stashes, but gently caress having multiple trips for crafting materials. Despite this, I'm warming to Anomaly's sheer autism.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Any Eve is too much, otoh it scratches the 'tism itch well enough, hm, on reflection, you can probably adjust your carry weight a bit, by editing a suit you like to demented exo' levels of carryweight, and stash a couple on each map. I'd really suggest making it useless for actual gameplay, so it does not cheese the game too much, and add it to traders lists for a few rub's
Sea of Loosers, thanks for the effortpost, if i can drag myself away from X4, i might get my balls irradiated again.

staberind fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 12, 2019

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Shrug. My personal approach is to stop picking up every piece of junk the game dumps in front of me. With a big backpack and a decent vest, I felt like I had more than enough storage space, even compared to vanilla.

With that said, there is a certain appeal to Lost Alpha's approach of giving you a mobile stash where you can store all of your tech'd out prepper guns and ammo. Just put it in park, hop out of the car, and carefully inspect your arsenal before stomping off to murder some mutants or fellow human beings.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hello, I am a newbie to this series playing Shadow of Chernobyl for the first time. I have the ZRP mod installed, and so far the game runs smoothly.

I am having some culture shock issues - for example, I die 90% of the time when I engage with an enemy. My pistol seems to do nothing except against dogs, and if I don't aim instantly I'll be dead first. Stuff like that. So I'm trying to work around it by not doing combat and stuff, but...

- I could not get through the railway tunnel without dying, so I went to the military checkpoint instead and shotgunned a soldier to the face so he died, then repeated with the next guy and ran away since I was on the other side. Is... this a valid way to do this quest? I feel weird, like I'm breaking something.

- There are random red dot enemies near the Fox dude you help out by killing a pack of weird dogs. Am I supposed to engage?

For more context I'm still playing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands so my brain is still in full "an enemy will get a glowing marker above their head when you see them, and you can kill anyone no problem" mode. I'm trying to adjust, haha.

e: Also, how scarce is stuff in this game? If I burn a medkit now, am I screwed later?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello, I am a newbie to this series playing Shadow of Chernobyl for the first time. I have the ZRP mod installed, and so far the game runs smoothly.

I am having some culture shock issues - for example, I die 90% of the time when I engage with an enemy. My pistol seems to do nothing except against dogs, and if I don't aim instantly I'll be dead first. Stuff like that. So I'm trying to work around it by not doing combat and stuff, but...

- I could not get through the railway tunnel without dying, so I went to the military checkpoint instead and shotgunned a soldier to the face so he died, then repeated with the next guy and ran away since I was on the other side. Is... this a valid way to do this quest? I feel weird, like I'm breaking something.

- There are random red dot enemies near the Fox dude you help out by killing a pack of weird dogs. Am I supposed to engage?

For more context I'm still playing Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands so my brain is still in full "an enemy will get a glowing marker above their head when you see them, and you can kill anyone no problem" mode. I'm trying to adjust, haha.

e: Also, how scarce is stuff in this game? If I burn a medkit now, am I screwed later?

The tunnel: the first time I did that quest (15 years ago!) I just viped out all the soldiers at the checkpoint instead. Turns out, that's everyones preferred way to get north and you did it exactly right in fact. No solution in the stalker games are ever wrong.

Random red dot: enemy. Shoot. If you want. You can always (try to) run away from enemies if they are boring or too much atm.

Pistols are bad in Chernobyl, but much better in the later games. That said... I wouldn't have it any other way. The tense moments, the crap bandits yet you only have a crappier gun? The 'carpark' is eternal. It is stalker.

And yep, you're pretty much hosed if you don't hang on to stuff and economies on their use. This is all dependent on the mod though, and most of the time, once you get to the level where you have armour and rifle you'll have 3 of everything (more than 3 gets to heavy = going somewhere new is like planning an expedition).

TL/DR these games are like no others. They are worth the culture shock. Almost 20 years now, and we're still here bc how good Shadow of Chernobyl is, fundamentally. You made the right choice Nebulosa.
Get out of here... stalker

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

StrixNebulosa posted:

1. I could not get through the railway tunnel without dying, so I went to the military checkpoint instead and shotgunned a soldier to the face so he died, then repeated with the next guy and ran away since I was on the other side. Is... this a valid way to do this quest? I feel weird, like I'm breaking something.

2. There are random red dot enemies near the Fox dude you help out by killing a pack of weird dogs. Am I supposed to engage?

3. Also, how scarce is stuff in this game? If I burn a medkit now, am I screwed later?
1. No, that's absolutely a good solution. The military checkpoint has 3-5 solutions (go through the electric tunnel, go to the right of the checkpoint and find a break in the fence, bribe the soldiers (the commander doesn't shoot you on sight and waves for you to come over, but it's still pretty un-intuitive), kill everyone, or just shoot a few guys and run through. If you're incredibly stupid you can save-load your way into killing everyone in the checkpoint after a thousand deaths, but you don't have to.

The only things that can seriously mess up your game and are worth reloading from (aside from deaths, obviously) are pissing off the Bar population or annoying the Guide before he can guide you back to the Doctor (late game quest).

2. If you don't have a quest and they're not in your way, you don't have to. You don't earn any xp and weapons aren't worth much when sold, specifically to avoid the compulsion to take out every enemy in the level and laboriously carry their loot back to the trader.

(You should also find a decent submachine gun and lots of ammo in the next level if you pay a bit of attention, which should make taking out trash mobs a bit easier).

3. Nope. Artifacts, hidden caches and quest rewards are your main source of $$$ and supplies, and both are plentiful and respawning. Like I said, don't bother looting everything an enemy has unless you actually need the ammo / supplies, or to upgrade your gun.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Get yourself a sawed off with dart/slug rounds, pluck an AK from a solider at the checkpoint, and then cross the embankment. I haven't played strictly vanilla in a long time but I remember the enemies having a ton of health on higher difficulties.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That is incredibly helped, Xander77 and ThisIsJohnWayne. Thanks!

Good deal: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/colossus-bundle you can get Clear Sky for a dollar.

Bad deal: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/stalker-complete-bundle you can get all three games for 9$

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Keep in mind that the main thing difficulty affects is how much HP everyone - including yourself and enemies - has. Pistol won't do much regardless, but if you ever feel like enemies are bullet sponges, ratchet up the difficulty and they'll go down in one or two hits.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Part of the issue is early game weapons aren't just weak, they're also real inaccurate. Once you get a good rifle you can headshot people from pretty far away. Especially the bandits, who never really understand the value of a good helmet and a good rifle.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

All good to know. Something that helped me out was realizing that the ironsights of the pistol suck and that I should use the UI's target instead, especially since it turns red if you can hit.

Also, the knife seems to be extremely powerful but good freaking luck trying to hit with it. Aiming low seems to help sometimes?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also, the knife seems to be extremely powerful but good freaking luck trying to hit with it. Aiming low seems to help sometimes?
I don't know if you're trying for stealth insta-kills, but Stalker has 2 annoying deviations from standard stealth patterns:

1. Reloading near an enemy, even if their back is turned and there's a wall between you, will instantly reveal your locations.

2. Crouch walking still makes enough noise for the enemy to hear just as you're behind their back. There's a sort of crouch-jumping way of sneaking that avoids that, but... yeah.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I don't know if you're trying for stealth insta-kills, but Stalker has 2 annoying deviations from standard stealth patterns:

1. Reloading near an enemy, even if their back is turned and there's a wall between you, will instantly reveal your locations.

2. Crouch walking still makes enough noise for the enemy to hear just as you're behind their back. There's a sort of crouch-jumping way of sneaking that avoids that, but... yeah.

Oh man, that reloading thing is good to know. I'm not trying for stealth insta-kills, but stealth in general seems to be kind of a requirement? Staying out of sight of enemies and sticking to cover is vital to survival.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Keep in mind that the main thing difficulty affects is how much HP everyone - including yourself and enemies - has. Pistol won't do much regardless, but if you ever feel like enemies are bullet sponges, ratchet up the difficulty and they'll go down in one or two hits.

Enemy HP/damage resistance/weapon damage doesn't change in any of the games. The player takes reduced damage on on novice in comparison to master. In SoC specifically the player's weapons also do more damage on novice than they do on master. Lower difficulties are just straight up easier. The problem is that Stalker punishes you for run and gun gameplay in an absurdly opaque way.

After you hit an enemy there is a one second window called "time to aim" where they will have upwards of a 100% damage reduction. Once that one second window is over a subsequent headshot will deal between 5-10x damage. The absolute best thing you can do is get an initial hit on an enemy, wait one second, and go for a headshot.

It's also extremely worth keeping in mind that bullets disappear after a certain distance, and in SoC it's absurdly low for the starting weapons. The starting pistol's bullets despawn after 50 meters, the sawn off shotgun's bullets vanish after 37. This is exacerbated by the fact that enemies are more accurate up close than they are further away.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

Enemy HP/damage resistance/weapon damage doesn't change in any of the games. The player takes reduced damage on on novice in comparison to master. In SoC specifically the player's weapons also do more damage on novice than they do on master. Lower difficulties are just straight up easier. The problem is that Stalker punishes you for run and gun gameplay in an absurdly opaque way.

After you hit an enemy there is a one second window called "time to aim" where they will have upwards of a 100% damage reduction. Once that one second window is over a subsequent headshot will deal between 5-10x damage. The absolute best thing you can do is get an initial hit on an enemy, wait one second, and go for a headshot.

It's also extremely worth keeping in mind that bullets disappear after a certain distance, and in SoC it's absurdly low for the starting weapons. The starting pistol's bullets despawn after 50 meters, the sawn off shotgun's bullets vanish after 37. This is exacerbated by the fact that enemies are more accurate up close than they are further away.

:psyduck:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
God I forgot about the bullet despawning. STALKER's good but the series is still eurojank as gently caress.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
If I'm playing anomaly I don't need to worry about all that poo poo, right? :ohdear:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

TGLT posted:

God I forgot about the bullet despawning. STALKER's good but the series is still eurojank as gently caress.
Man, I remember finding this water tower in the middle of a swamp bandit village in Clear Sky. Climbed up there, got ready to snipe, and found out neither side could actually reach the other.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

If you can't be bothered with finding the right mod with the right changes, open the weapon text files and change the values yourself. Stalker games are comparatively easy to mod. Call of Chernobyl (standalone free game made by modders on the assets of stalker but with a "new" re-built engine) (long story) even more so.

E. God damit, now I feel sad about stalker 2 not existing again.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 24, 2019

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

E. God damit, now I feel sad about stalker 2 not existing again.
Do you mean "yet", or was it cancelled again while I wasn't paying attention?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Yet.
But on the other hand I have zero belief the gsc guy will make it happen, so...

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

StrixNebulosa posted:

It takes 8 bodyshots with a Makarov to drop a Bandit. Coincidentally, this is as many bullets as your makarov can hold. When I'm loving around in the Cordon, usually what I do is sprint right up to a bandit, magdump into him, then sprint away. They'll try and follow you, maybe start hosing your last-known location with bullets, so break off and come around from a different angle and repeat. Get yourself an SMG as soon as you can. Remember, automatic fire usually just wastes bullets.
Once you get literally any scoped rifle, that'll probably be good through the rest of the game, though upgrades are usually available (for example, replace the awful L85 with an AR or a Sig, then later with a G36 or FN Boatgun)

In terms of general playstyle, bullets and medkits are scarce when you start, but once you're working out of the Bar you're usually okay. Best advice I can give you there is to grab guns off dead guys, right-click and Unload them, then toss the gun. That usually yields the better part of a magazine. Looting for profit in Stalker is a game of weight management and rubles-per-weight; artifacts are best for this and are really the only loot worth grabbing to sell unless you find some rare shooter like a sniper or a rocket or something. Tying into that weight management, make yourself a stash (any loving chest works) so you don't have to carry around all your poo poo like a dumbfuck bandit. Then, whenever you're going out on a trip, just grab what you need.

For loadout, I like to follow what I call the Rule Of Ten; that's packing a mainarm (scoped rifle is ideal), sidearm or specialist weapon (ex. shotgun for wildlife), 10 reloads mainarm, 5 reloads sidearm, 10 medkits, 10 bandages (they're loving cheap), 5 anti-rads, 5 foods. Most resupply (esp. food & common ammo) can be procured on site; if you're conservative with ammunition and good about looting, it's not uncommon to come back with more AK food than you left with.

The best advice I can give to a rookie like you is that, in the zone, there are two ways to solve a problem. Bullets, or Bolts. If the problem is not solved by throwing a bolt at it, it's solved by shooting at it. The Zone is full of all sorts of spooky poo poo, rookie, but if, in the depths of your terror, you remember this, I think you will be okay.

The second best advice I can give to a rookie like you (and you might've already figured this out yourself) is that you don't always need to fight. Most of the time you'll see the guy (or the beast) before he sees you. When you see some randomfuck bandit just ask yourself - is this worth getting shot over? You'll expend ammunition and probably medical supplies; what are you gaining for the trouble? Usually easier just to go around.

The third best advice I can give you? Most wildlife resorts to trying to eat you. Keep a shotgun handy if you can spare the weight. With Bloodsuckers, their eyes glow. With Controllers, the answer is grenade.

Another nugget of wisdom for you. Right now you are a Rookie. Lab X-18 will make a Stalker out of you. Once you come out of there, you will be able to handle anything the Zone will throw at you.

Remember. Duty are government bitchboys, Freedom are wannabe-american druggies. Only the Monolith will guide you true.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 24, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

turn off the TV posted:

Huh, never knew about that damage reduction thing, weird. Guessing most current mods do away with that in favour of their own gunplay mechanics.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Xander77 posted:

An addendum to this, too: In most games with stealth, bushes are great, you can see out of them but enemies can't see you. In STALKER, going into a bush makes a noise so loud that you might as well have just thrown a grenade. Enemies will hear you if you go through foliage.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

turn off the TV posted:

Enemy HP/damage resistance/weapon damage doesn't change in any of the games.

That is not what I've heard nor experienced, and now I'm very confused because you clearly seem to know way more than me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To the bandit who killed Bes while I was talking to him: gently caress you!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mordja posted:

Huh, never knew about that damage reduction thing, weird. Guessing most current mods do away with that in favour of their own gunplay mechanics.

A lot of them set every weapon's time_to_aim value to zero, which is why they feel way less janky.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That is not what I've heard nor experienced, and now I'm very confused because you clearly seem to know way more than me.

Thinking that the game has enemy/player damage scaling makes way more sense when you consider how difficulty and the consecutive hit damage reduction interact.

On lower difficulties, and especially with the crosshair enabled, it's much easier to get up to enemies at close range. They deal less damage to you, and if you're closer to them/landing hits more quickly you are also dealing less damage. On something like master with the crosshair disabled you die more quickly, so you'll be trying to stay further away and take shots from behind cover while using the ironsights, which means that each of your shots are also probably going to do more damage per hit. If you play novice with crosshairs the same way you do master without it then the game is just straight up easier.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I’ve been out of the loop with mods for 1-2 years now but am curious: Have any newer ones managed to “fix” stealth (i.e. make it approach a viable playstyle) for SoC or CoP?

The lack of a properly functioning stealth system is the only real disappointment I ever had with what is likely the most evocative franchise I’ve ever experienced.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The claim I kept hearing was that higher difficulties increased lethality all around, so that both you and the enemies could take fewer shots to down. That's complete bull then?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mordja posted:

The claim I kept hearing was that higher difficulties increased lethality all around, so that both you and the enemies could take fewer shots to down. That's complete bull then?

Higher difficulties increase lethality for the player, which forces the player to be more lethal.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

OregonDonor posted:

I’ve been out of the loop with mods for 1-2 years now but am curious: Have any newer ones managed to “fix” stealth (i.e. make it approach a viable playstyle) for SoC or CoP?

The lack of a properly functioning stealth system is the only real disappointment I ever had with what is likely the most evocative franchise I’ve ever experienced.
I'll always repost this full stealth playthrough in response.

But yeah, I doubt stealth is actually "fixable" in a meaningful way.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
There's a couple of very good weapons that can last you the entire game; the re-chambered mp5 & Groza. the latter having a built in grenade launcher, fits a silencer and pso-1 scope. only problem is vanilla soc has no gun repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This looks very cool, a full English translation of Spatial Anomaly: https://www.moddb.com/mods/spatial-anomaly-update-4

The mod author worked with the translators so they have subtitles for the voiced bits.