Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Throw me onto the pile of first time Hunk "Died at the last second" corpses. Wasn't even a plant zombie that did me in for that extra shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Section Z posted:

"G2 time again, not a single hit from the ceiling claws. Now that Birkin is fully in the room, time to toss a flashbang and waltz right past like last time-oh he didn't even flinch my world is pain." On the bright side, my sine wave of a skill curve kicked in and that was the first time I didn't get hit even once during the fight proper.

You can just walk by him when he coolaide man into that room, just hug the left side

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Basticle posted:

the M202 dosent even shoot explosives, it shoots incendiaries and replaced flamethrowers.

Yeah, but it sure as hell shot explosives in Commando.

Discendo Vox posted:

I am horrified to realize I am imagining up an edited and cleaned up RE timeline and plot in my head.

That's basically what I do instead of crossword puzzles, so turn back now while you still can.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I mean make a cohesive RE timeline by just using 1+2+3+4+5+6; Mansion happens, then Racoon City, Umbrella dies off slowly as bioweapons spread to more companies and people, Leon goes to Spain, bioweapons worsen, Chris goes to Africa, and then culminates with a near World War Bioweapon event in 6, done

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it's an open question if Capcom continues doing remakes vs advancing the timeline. The poor reception to RE6 made them scrap an action concept for RE7, the good response to RE7's horror made them go ahead with RE2R, RE2R might lead them to RE3, etc.

If they do continue on the remake path, I think it would be awesome if they eventually did the big fall of Umbrella game we never got. (no, Umbrella Chronicles doesn't count). Make a game with Chris, Jill, Claire, and Leon heading to Russia. Have Barry as the helicopter pilot with Rebecca doing the medicine.

Really though, I just want to see Jill and Leon team up once!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Thisuck posted:

You can just walk by him when he coolaide man into that room, just hug the left side

The “toss a nade to skip the ceiling claws” trick is really awesome too. And it works with the rocket launcher!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I would genuinely love a game that details how Umbrella finally gets crippled enough to fall involving everyone from RE 1-3 working together at a huge biobase and adjacent hidden city like poo poo out of the Russian nuclear programs of those eras

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

One of the biggest unexplored periods in the entire timeline is the years from 1999 through 2003 when Chris and Jill were members of a privately-funded anti-Umbrella task force, going around the world to gently caress up bad guys. By the time of the "Umbrella's End" scenario in RE:UC in 2003, the Russian base they're invading is described as the last remaining Umbrella facility in the world, which means there's room for a full four years of balls-to-the-wall anti-Umbrella adventures with the original cast when they were all still below 30.

It's hard to imagine Claire as a playable character in that period, since Degeneration makes it pretty clear that she noped out from action as hard as she could after CV, but it'd be easy enough to write around.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
God drat it I'm gonna do this. Gonna take liberties to try to tighten things up and reduce the number of anti-umbrella groups and mysterious third party umbrella competitors, and try to make the villains ever so slightly less moronic. Getting Wesker coherent and preserving a plot role for the canon non-main entries is going to be painful.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Haha not only is X seemingly faster on Hardcore he gives no fucks and punches you repeatedly till you die

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

God drat it I'm gonna do this. Gonna take liberties to try to tighten things up and reduce the number of anti-umbrella groups and mysterious third party umbrella competitors, and try to make the villains ever so slightly less moronic. Getting Wesker coherent and preserving a plot role for the canon non-main entries is going to be painful.

There are two anti-Umbrella groups, three if you count the Chinese agency Fong Ling worked for in Dead Aim, and two third-party Umbrella competitors, since Ada's real employer in RE4 has been confirmed to be Tricell.

The story is not as complex as people think it is. It's just told really stupidly, in a lot of places that are nowhere near the actual games.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Section Z posted:

Leon's trip to the records room is clearly Mister X's favorite part of the game. Claire just makes him look like an idiot 24/7 even when lickers join the party. With the exception that Leon can always pop X in the face with a single magnum round for a generous stun time (Can't craft flashbangs, while Mag ammo can't be used as a defense item. It's a very liberating realization to have when you don't want to backtrack or risk a hit).

I got wrecked in that hallway one play through. Ever since, I kill every loving licker I see. Acid, Fire, shotgun, whatever is handy.

Oddly enough, I was going through a Leon B run and was going for the Maiden medal. Killed the dude who hangs from the ceiling earlier but ran in with X on my rear end from the Library. He doesn't follow so I assume I'm safe except for the licker that will show up soon.

Blow the wall, fix the shelf, grab medal.

Licker screech. Shotgun prepared to go. Whose that coming through the door to the north of me? Oh it's Mr.X coming to say hello.

Thankfully the licker didnt spawn and I ran like hell for the main hall and down into the safe room where StompyBoi can't get you.

He can get really loving close though :stonklol:
Like there's a line that he can't cross from lobby to hidden room but it's very tight.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wesker works easy if you just say "The unique virus that made him superhuman only worked because he was specifically a first-gen designer baby that barely survived, and the virus only works with his specific genetic configuration, and even then it made him even more mentally ill"

And even then you can just write him down as 'superhuman' meaning he's Tyrant levels of strong and durable, with speed to match

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
At a certain point it's more unbelievable if they *don't* manage some level of generic superhuman injection. A million flavors of dude that can bounce a train off someone's head, 3 story spiders, and all the other tomfoolery they managed to 'master'? I think they could manage something that just makes a human punch really hard and heal kind of fast.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It would also be entirely within Wesker's character that he believes he's the only one to deserve such power and refuses to give the superhuman serum to anyone else.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Black August posted:

Wesker works easy if you just say "The unique virus that made him superhuman only worked because he was specifically a first-gen designer baby that barely survived, and the virus only works with his specific genetic configuration, and even then it made him even more mentally ill"

And even then you can just write him down as 'superhuman' meaning he's Tyrant levels of strong and durable, with speed to match

That's not that far off the actual canon. Apparently the activator virus killed a lot of the other Wesker kids that Spencer tried it on, although I'd be willing to bet that not a lot of them took the extra step of getting their lungs punched out by a homebrew Terminator.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I walk around that idea by just accepting that you need to be very carefully designed from scratch, like the Weskers, to be able to benefit from mass genetic mutation without turning into a blobmass.

Sherry is also a superhuman now, but she had a very specific case that I figure Umbrella was already too defunct to find out about and follow up on, otherwise you’d have an army of children implanted by their g-mutant parents and then cured. Even then I figured Sherry was a billion to one chance.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mulva posted:

At a certain point it's more unbelievable if they *don't* manage some level of generic superhuman injection. A million flavors of dude that can bounce a train off someone's head, 3 story spiders, and all the other tomfoolery they managed to 'master'? I think they could manage something that just makes a human punch really hard and heal kind of fast.

They've got a couple of things in play already. Krauser in RE4 is distinctly superhuman--he leaves the area after the knife fight by casually making a 30-foot standing leap--and has what's basically a biological cyberarm. The P30 drug that Wesker dosed Jill with is also basically super-soldier serum, since it made Jill capable of casually manhandling Chris and Sheva simultaneously.

There's also some crazy poo poo going on in RE7 with how the Connections made Eveline, and T-Veronica would absolutely work to make "superheroes" as long as you don't mind the fifteen-year stay in cryogenic storage first.

The writers could also say at any time they liked that Ada's picked up some biological enhancements along the way and I would totally buy that. There are scene transitions in her RE6 campaign that straight-up should've killed her, like doing a superhero landing from five stories up in short heels.

Black August posted:

Sherry is also a superhuman now, but she had a very specific case that I figure Umbrella was already too defunct to find out about and follow up on, otherwise you’d have an army of children implanted by their g-mutant parents and then cured. Even then I figured Sherry was a billion to one chance.

Yeah, they could pretty much go ahead and say that Simmons's "Family" has a whole army of operatives with healing factors on deck whenever they like, thanks to studying Sherry for 14 years. Clone a dude, inject him with G-Virus, have him infect the original, dose both with the Devil reagent.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Black August posted:

Yeah I'm planning something like that, but I want to cut out the whole plot device virus and Birkin being involved with killing Marcus. Instead his initial "superpowers" just come from dying while exposed to the t-virus, coupled with his Spencer-styled superbeing genes.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 25, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah I'm planning something like that, but I want to cut out the whole plot device virus and Birkin being involved with killing Marcus. Instead his initial "superpowers" just come from dying while exposed to the t-virus, coupled with his Spencer-styled superbeing genes.

That sounds a lot like you're confusing how you'd have written it with it being qualitatively better.

Which, y'know, go on with your mad self, but if you're going to go that far with it, change all the names, tweak the outcomes, and push the first novel in your saga to digital storefronts. Discendo Vox's Malevolent Mansions, Q1 2020.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Making Wesker’s superhuman power a genuine fluke of being a designer baby souped up by Tyrant infection while dying, resulting in a gigantic Resurrection/Supremacist/Messiah complex, would also fit him pretty well, especially if he lies to himself to think he MEANT for that to happen

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Which, y'know, go on with your mad self, but if you're going to go that far with it, change all the names, tweak the outcomes, and push the first novel in your saga to digital storefronts. Discendo Vox's Malevolent Mansions, Q1 2020.

Stay tuned for the further adventures of Carl Bluemound and Julia Easter as they investigate a mysterious chateau filled with bio engineered vampires.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Hardcore Leon A

Got to the sewers, finally grabbed the magnum from RPD and heading back.

I decided to leave the 2nd pouch upgrade in the armory because I would have to deal with at least 3 lickers for all the necessary key items. Tried couple times and it didnt end well even with a magnum.

Decided to save my resources for bosses and those 2 lickers in Labs, just in case.

I miss the grenade launcher

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

marshmallow creep posted:

I don't bother with the locker room safe pouch most times because I dislike the spare key portable safes, especially when I am trying to go fast.
You can do them pretty fast if you write it down on paper like

Though I suppose it then comes down to whether the extra slots allow you to make up for the time spent. If you're doing like S+++ times then I suppose they might not actually be of much help, since you're probably pretty good at laying out a route at that point and only carrying the absolute necessities. At the very least it's not a huge detour for Claire, if you're picking up the SMG, since the locker room is right there when you pick up the jack.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
And that's Claire's Second Run done. Bad rankings on both her and Leon, but eh, I don't much care.

I gotta say, as others have pointed out, Claire is loving this poo poo. She is almost totally unphased from anything aside from her Mr X's first appearance, and it's great. Her entire arsenal, with the SMG in particular, is sort of built to reinforce the feel, such that when she does fight G #3, #4, and #5, her attitude of "alright, let's loving go" feels super natural.

(She does seem to make the most sense for a 2nd run, to be honest. Claire killing G at last feels a lot more dramatically satisfying, even if G#4 is nowhere near as cathartic as killing Mr X for good.)

The fact that as a college kid she still starts with a gun seems to say a lot. I can absolutely see how her tutelage turns Sherry into a badass. It's actually kinda funny how Leon, who's nervous and trying to keep a positive attitude the entire game, becomes a wisecracking badass while Claire, miss "I hope you like bullets 'cause I got plenty!" retires from field work.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 25, 2019

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Remember very carefully that she is Chris Redfield's sister, and was likely shooting guns before she could walk, nevermind the kind of adrenaline junkie she was before Racoon City made her realize how bullshit a future in counter-bioweapons would be

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Black August posted:

Remember very carefully that she is Chris Redfield's sister, and was likely shooting guns before she could walk, nevermind the kind of adrenaline junkie she was before Racoon City made her realize how bullshit a future in counter-bioweapons would be

This is an extremely valid point, but I mean, she still seems to be absolutely 100% in for Killing Monsters, Picking Up Boys.

Revelations 2 must have been like, a casual vacation for her.

It is funny that G, as horrendous as he is, is nowhere near as ghastly as Mr X. Mr X up until that final showdown with Leon (which was amazingly cathartic and cheesy-badass) was utterly terrifying. G killed Claire's Mr X, so I'm already inclined to thank him for gutting the fucker, but he's also, well, still basically a boss rather than an implacable unstoppable stalker around whom you need to plan the entire game for an extended period to avoid and/or run screaming from.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i absolutely love for the G3 fight how Claire is like "yeah no, gently caress this guy, he's dead at gooncon" and Leon is like "wait what? why u make me fight monster, where's Ada :saddowns:"

also i absolutely hate that Claire and Leon have different gunpowder mixing notes WHY WOULD THEY HAVE DIFFERENT NOTES WHO CARES IF THEY MAKE DIFFERENT STUFF

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Jetrauben posted:

This is an extremely valid point, but I mean, she still seems to be absolutely 100% in for Killing Monsters, Picking Up Boys.

You can kind of see why she's toned it down a notch after the events of CV. It's only been two months since RE2 and Claire's knee-deep in another outbreak in Umbrella's prison island. The "cute boy" she meets turns out to be an annoying jackass she's saddled with who causes more trouble for her. Then said guy gets turned into a monster by Alexia Ashford, but still retained a bit of his consciousness to save Claire before he dies in front of her eyes. And then there's her meeting with Wesker who now has a weird obsession with her brother.

Also don't forget the CG movie where Claire basically ends up doing an RE2-lite adventure and was the only one of her fellow survivors to remain calm until help arrived.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So, I had a chance to run 3 of the standard scenarios of RE2: The Board game with a friend. Both of us really enjoyed it a lot but there was a lot of looking up rules, as you do when playing a new game. I'm no word smith, in fact me am bad with words, but I'll try to talk about it a bit.

Scenario 2

My initial thoughts on it. The game ramps up the tension pretty quickly. The first two scenarios do a good job of getting you used to most of the mechanics, and then scenario 3 kind of kicks you into the deep end and you really need to pay attention to your ammo management and pray the tension deck, cards drawn at the end of a round with a small chance to add an effect, doesn't screw you too hard. We ended up getting through the 3rd scenario with both our health in danger after spawning 3 lickers, 4 zombie dogs, and something to the tune of 10 zombies by the end. The tension deck mechanic can do a lot to mess you up when you think you are running through a safe hallway. We were both running through a cleared hallway, and I drew a card that if I failed a dodge roll at the start of my next turn, I would lose my turn. My friend then drew a card in that hallway at the end of their turn that spawned in two zombie dogs that happened to spawn right next to me. That led into me being bit twice due to some bad rolls two activations in a row. There's a fair amount lot of luck involved thanks to the dice rolls, tension deck, room exploration mechanic, and items being randomized, but not so much that you can't re adjust your strategies based on some bad dice rolls. Item indicators you need to pick up are in the same location every time, but the deck you draw from is randomized, so you can't just run to the same area to pick up key items each time you play a scenario. If you play with the "if the tension deck runs out, you lose" rules that start in the 3rd scenario, it gives players an incentive to split up rather than stick together to make fighting enemies easier.

Some of the things that were a bit annoying. There's a few unclear rules, mostly pertaining to weapons and one of the tension cards we ran into. We ended up just setting our own house rules for how some weapons worked. Set up time for each scenario is kind of crazy unless two people are setting everything up together. One person putting the board together, the other getting cards, enemies, items, etc and placing those as the board is put together. The exception to this is that scenario 1 and 2 tension and item cards are already in order, so you don't have to hunt for those. You need a pretty massive playing area. For those who play a lot of board games that may be nothing new, but we ended up using a decent sized folding table for the third scenario and that hardly held everything we needed. The player and enemy models feel really...chintzy. I've almost broken a dog off it's base putting it back in the box, and a couple zombies came doing the Smooth Criminal lean.

Overall, we had a great time playing so the set up time and having to set some house rules wasn't that bad in the end, and scenario 2 and 3 actually took a decent amount of time to complete. Scenario 3 nearly ending because of a surprise licker spawning in the final room when we both had almost no ammo left was incredibly tense, and was a great victory moment when we beat it. It certainly had a "Resident Evil" feel to it, and it has some really clever rules that make you weigh things like whether closing a door is worth one of your 4 moves or not. For any one who is interested, you can find the core ruleset on Steamforged Games site if you go to Resources -> Gaming Resources.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jetrauben posted:

ALEX: I have infected you with a diabolical new virus that will transform you instantly into a terrifying monster... if you ever panic.
CLAIRE: Yeah, not really worried about it. So, on a scale of one to you, how much do you love Eli Roth movies?
ALEX: ...
CLAIRE: Because it looks like a lot.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Oh, wow. I thought I was kidding.

https://residentevil.com.br/revil-interviews-yasuhiro-anpo-resident-evil-revelations-2-game-director/

quote:

REVIL: Claire and Moira were infected with T-Phobos virus just like the other members of Terra Save. Why didn’t they turn into Afflicted? The girls still have the virus inside their bodies?

Yasuhiro Anpo: Claire’s been through and survived dangerous predicaments on several occasions already, and as such she was able to survive the horror of Revelations 2without getting too panicked, and thus not mutating (notice how her bracelet only gets up to orange all the way through the end).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoy the vauge mention of the virus possibly giving Moira enhanced healing abilities because it means that Moira and maybe Claire can join the increasingly plausible B.S.A.A Superhero Virus Squadron.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I do think it's a remarkably impressive feat in how much the RE2 remake is basically the same game as the original except translated upwards into modern game design.

Like, through my rose-tinted glasses, the original game basically WAS what we got here. RE2 Remake is the game that rose-tint on the original creates in your head. And it's very impressive how smooth the mental shift feels for it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Wanderer posted:

That's not that far off the actual canon. Apparently the activator virus killed a lot of the other Wesker kids that Spencer tried it on, although I'd be willing to bet that not a lot of them took the extra step of getting their lungs punched out by a homebrew Terminator.

I might be misremembering something (and haven't played 5/6/Revelations) but for a while at least the canonical explanation for Wesker surviving RE1 was that Birkin whipped him up a fake death / superman virus. Given they were both working against Umbrella in secret and Birkin got killed a few days later it's pretty reasonable to theorise that recipe is lost to time.

In case of any plot holes I am taking the same approach as the weirdos who continued to insist that Nemesis was Wesker after CV came out: Wesker clones.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to chime in and say that this game was just what I needed after abandoning the sad cowboy game out of sheer boredom. Leon first run/claire second run ftw

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Claire 'ICE COLD' Redfield

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Cleared Kendo finally. And I was dying at what turned out to be the final hallway repeatedly, which is bittersweet for choking at the finish line multiple times, but at least I was getting through most of it.

And I just noticed one of them is rated harder... :stare:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Andrigaar posted:

Cleared Kendo finally. And I was dying at what turned out to be the final hallway repeatedly, which is bittersweet for choking at the finish line multiple times, but at least I was getting through most of it.

And I just noticed one of them is rated harder... :stare:

I watched a video of someone clearing a gas station map.

I thought I was good at RE games but that was ridiculous. Ill probably never beat any of these.

At least in other games you could do judo moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm not gonna say I dislike the the direction of 7 and Remake 2 but drat do I miss antimonster MMA.