Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

toiletbrush posted:

Bought this last night on PS4 and absolutely love *most* of it. It looks gorgeous, the setting's really well done and I really like the attention to detail. There's hefty does of jank and then guns have a weird, total lack of recoil which makes them feel a bit goofy, but it's not bad enough to put me off.

But the input lag is horrendous - firing, aiming and turning have at least half a second delay for me, and makes aiming totally impossible. Is there a decent chance it will get fixed?

I'm not getting any input lag on PS4. The controls are kind of weird and sluggish, and super weighty in general but not delayed, for me at least. Tbh I warmed up to it after a couple of hours. They really bugged me for a bit, but like the feel of the game now.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I can't think of a single reason to use the shambler ever. It is just utter trash compared to the Ashot.

The Shambler and the minigun are just comically bad.

the shambler takes magazines in the end and is totally adequate with the long ported barrel. ashot might do more damage but it's still no contest when you're one-shotting nosalises anyway and can fire 11 shots without reloading (and then just mag swap). the true hero of mexodus though is the double crossbow

also, I 100%ed volga without ever fighting shrimp. just don't use a boat unless you have to, which just means the initial visit to the church and back, the terminal, and that one lone island with the electrical puzzle. it's a poor choice for general exploration if you don't have to get there by boat. stay away from the shore where the shrimp hang out (stick to the center channel unless a big fish is coming) and stop paddling if they dive in and are under your boat. I had them dive in all around me and bump the bottom of my boat and they never came back up to bother me.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 23, 2019

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

toiletbrush posted:

Bought this last night on PS4 and absolutely love *most* of it. It looks gorgeous, the setting's really well done and I really like the attention to detail. There's hefty does of jank and then guns have a weird, total lack of recoil which makes them feel a bit goofy, but it's not bad enough to put me off.

But the input lag is horrendous - firing, aiming and turning have at least half a second delay for me, and makes aiming totally impossible. Is there a decent chance it will get fixed?

I’m waiting until my day off to start playing this but I’m worried about this input lag on the Xbox one x as well. I am bad enough already aiming with a controller! If it’s like Last Light, it seems to be more of a choice to make your movements feel more “in-character” ie weighty and like it takes time to ads. I also wonder if games like Apex and such have just gotten us more accustomed to very fast and smooth responsiveness.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So uh, I'm in the last level and my battery is dead and I can't charge it for some reason. The gauge doesn't move when I pump the charger. Near the end of Taiga I made it past the area where the flashlight stops working and got checkpointed before the part where you have to find fuel and start the generator. I noticed it wasn't letting me charge then either. I managed to make it through to the end of Taiga and was hoping whatever was happening would fix itself but I still can't charge the battery and I really don't want to try to attempt this level without a flashlight or night vision.

EDIT: Managed to push further into the level by cranking up my gamma all the way, passed through another area that disables your electronics and that seems to have reset it.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 23, 2019

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m waiting until my day off to start playing this but I’m worried about this input lag on the Xbox one x as well. I am bad enough already aiming with a controller! If it’s like Last Light, it seems to be more of a choice to make your movements feel more “in-character” ie weighty and like it takes time to ads. I also wonder if games like Apex and such have just gotten us more accustomed to very fast and smooth responsiveness.
There are a couple of options that make it less bad - set the Sensitivity Preset to '2' and turn off aim assist - that seems to kill a lot of it, and you sort of get used to it too, but there's still a very obvious delay between snapping the stick right over and the screen starting to pan. There's posts online saying their games are always like this, so it's unlikely to be fixed :(

I really like the game despite it, though. There's something about how the world carries on around you that seems way more natural and emergent than in something like Fallout.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I finished the game last night and I really appreciate how each region was different, not just thematically but structurally. The volga is very call of pripyat, with lots of crawling through the mud trying to skirt some monsters that haven't spotted you yet because you don't have the ammo or firepower to charge in. The ark is a STALKER vault meets serious sam, the largest departure from the franchise to date. It caught me off guard even though they telegraphed the evil cannibals right over Miller's dumb head. The Caspian desert is farcry meets STALKER, in the best of ways. If it was a farcry game there would have been 4 of each kind of outpost and 4 fortresses and 4x more slaves to not kill, but instead every location feels unique and meaningful and relevant to the player's quest, and once you've seen it all you've tied off a knot on the story and can move on. Taiga then inverts the open world structure with a linear crawl through the open forest with no backtracking, and the last area is classic metro 2033. No two regions are just analogs with different textures and enemies, and each demonstrates the strengths of the studio and the franchise. Look for ubisoft to madly rip off the things mexodus did better on their next dozen cookie cutter games. I also appreciated that the compass is of very limited utility in terms of getting where you need to go, and you really have to get your bearings and look at the map to explore and get where you're going effectively. I appreciated the character building/exposition time onboarding the train between zones and that this was totally optional later in the game when I got impatient, and I was disappointed that there wasn't one last one before the end to get a last word with everyone. Smoking weed irl while my character smoked in the game and listened to the engineer rant about the government for 10 minutes was hilarious and one of the more memorable moments in a memorable game

My only gripe is that the simplistic crafting system, whereby you can transmute scopes into filters in the field, totally destroys the whole sense of scarcity which has been a trademark of the franchise. Also I wish they'd cribbed a more comprehensive survival sim from STALKER. But we can't always get what we want

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 23, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Blind Rasputin posted:

I played this game on Xbonx. The input lag is really atrocious, and varies a bit depending on scene. But, in general, you'll get used to it. It'll never feel great, but it's workable.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Still wanna know if the Aurora has a bed I can sleep 'till night in, or if I'm gonna have to run towards that shed and then back to the radio tower to kill some bandits and take their stuff.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I never found a bed in the aurora. But there are lots of safehouses scattered around.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It doesn’t, but there is a resting place right next to the aurora in the crashed train cars just south east of it.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Wiseblood posted:

So uh, I'm in the last level and my battery is dead and I can't charge it for some reason. The gauge doesn't move when I pump the charger. Near the end of Taiga I made it past the area where the flashlight stops working and got checkpointed before the part where you have to find fuel and start the generator. I noticed it wasn't letting me charge then either. I managed to make it through to the end of Taiga and was hoping whatever was happening would fix itself but I still can't charge the battery and I really don't want to try to attempt this level without a flashlight or night vision.

EDIT: Managed to push further into the level by cranking up my gamma all the way, passed through another area that disables your electronics and that seems to have reset it.

Had this issue when using the advanced nv mod on my suit. I removed it and could use the light again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

Still wanna know if the Aurora has a bed I can sleep 'till night in, or if I'm gonna have to run towards that shed and then back to the radio tower to kill some bandits and take their stuff.

No bed in the train.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I would advise both new and old players to play Metro Last Light redux or whatever the latest version is. It was built in the time when on the rails shooter with a plot went out of fashion yet built by old school people who love just that. What kind of plot can you expect and yet it just takes you. Maybe its because I played in Russian but betrayal seriously pissed me off, I've grown to like the guy, we've done badass poo poo together. Factions as ridiculous as they are just make sense. Doesn't it make sense for actual skull-measuring nazis to make a resugence when there are real mutants out there. It makes sanse for hardcore commies to resurge when there is food scarcity and the weak need protection from the state otherwise they'll just starve to death. This is the only game since Half-Life 2 that have this unique Half-Life vibe. I don't know how it makes sense but I was giddy with joy throughout. Amazing thing that they throw at you is that is loving beautiful. The last thing you would expect from a game about metro tunnels is to be beautiful, yet it is. The ruins of Moscow are just amazing. I was double amazed because just few weeks before I played this game I visited VDNH irl and when I emerged ingame it just clicked. I recognized the place. Wow, this is the entrance arch these are the ruins of pavillions!

E: Don't shoot factory made ammo, these are currency!

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 24, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does killing the Brezeren of the Coast give you bad karma?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 24, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m really confused here. I’m wandering around taiga, and when I started my backpack icon was gone, Implying that I had lost my backpack. But now it’s back but I can’t open it or craft anything. I can’t tell if it’s a bug or plot driven but it sucks that I can’t craft medkits or anything.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

veni veni veni posted:

I’m really confused here. I’m wandering around taiga, and when I started my backpack icon was gone, Implying that I had lost my backpack. But now it’s back but I can’t open it or craft anything. I can’t tell if it’s a bug or plot driven but it sucks that I can’t craft medkits or anything.

When your train went into the water, the cutscene shows you losing your backpack. You start in that area with nothing, but should pick up a crossbow almost immediately. You will still have your flashlight, charger, and gasmask though. Later in that area you'll recover your backpack and be able to craft again. It will be pretty obvious when it happens, until then, no backpack.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah yeah I knew that happened as far as the story goes, I was just confused because the icon for it came back before I actually got it back.

Also, lolll @ the parrot in Taiga

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I missed the 4x scope and now I'm running around the Caspian Sea with only an NV Scope for range :(

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I loved the first two Metro games, but what I really want is something like STALKER in terms of open-world exploration and surprises. Does Exodus scratch that itch?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

space marine todd posted:

I loved the first two Metro games, but what I really want is something like STALKER in terms of open-world exploration and surprises. Does Exodus scratch that itch?

A little bit. Overall Exodus reminded me more of Half-Life² and Mad Max with the core gameplay of the known Metro games. Given that Metro and Stalker are not too far apart in general, it naturally brings some Stalker to the table. However Stalkers overall exploration and world building was more gritty and melancholic imo as Metro Exodus is. It does however bring things the first Stalker once was supposed to have and then didn't get: driving and a living world with animals and monsters roaming and interacting with each other.

So depending on what you're looking for exactly it might be for you. It's at least very close to Last Light in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Absolutely!

I have 26 hours in the game thus far without beating it because of all the exploring you can do in the wide levels.

Exodus alternates stages between a linear, on the rails level and wide open, explorer’s delight levels (very much like STALKER).

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Carecat posted:

I missed the 4x scope and now I'm running around the Caspian Sea with only an NV Scope for range :(

Remember to strip every gun you see and you'll find scopes. Focus on high places as the enemies up high tend to have guns suited to longer ranges.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

You will spend at least the first 2 or 3 hours watching cutscenes and holding E on stuff or following people around, so prob not

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

StabMasterArson posted:

You will spend at least the first 2 or 3 hours watching cutscenes and holding E on stuff or following people around, so prob not

The start of the game felt like they had just played Half-Life 2 and then it gets really good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought the first bit dragged but it's pretty much awesome once you get on the train and beyond.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Carecat posted:

The start of the game felt like they had just played Half-Life 2 and then it gets really good

Yeah if Half Life 2 was cutscenes and forced stealth

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Half Life has lots of parts where you are just standing around watching characters talk or trigger setpieces and there is no forced stealth in Metro so I'm not sure what your point is.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
This game feels a lot like Half Life 2. So much in fact that if you told me the devs hadn't played a single FPS game since HL2 I'd believe it.

Finished it today and I rate it at a solid 3/5.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Half Life has lots of parts where you are just standing around watching characters talk or trigger setpieces and there is no forced stealth in Metro so I'm not sure what your point is.

I’m sorry Veni

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I don't know. Like, overall, this game feels vastly more like STALKER Call of Pripyat to me than Half-Life 2 once you hit the open areas. Volga reminded me so much of Zaton--the rain, the scavenging and side quests, the ambient music, the swamp and the muck, the scattered outposts of bandit activity, the roaming wildlife preying on each other...hell, even the goddamned electrical anomalies--that it almost felt like a mod for STALKER CoP.

I get that Half-Life 2 had open areas, but they felt significantly different to me than anything in Exodus. I'd agree with the other poster and say that even Mad Max (2015) reminded me more of this game than HL2.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
yeah the mad max vibes are strong in this game. not that its a bad thing, beyond the combat and missions getting old in Mad Max p quick a lot of stuff was really great about it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't know. Like, overall, this game feels vastly more like STALKER Call of Pripyat to me than Half-Life 2 once you hit the open areas. Volga reminded me so much of Zaton--the rain, the scavenging and side quests, the ambient music, the swamp and the muck, the scattered outposts of bandit activity, the roaming wildlife preying on each other...hell, even the goddamned electrical anomalies--that it almost felt like a mod for STALKER CoP.

I get that Half-Life 2 had open areas, but they felt significantly different to me than anything in Exodus. I'd agree with the other poster and say that even Mad Max (2015) reminded me more of this game than HL2.

I think it's hard to make a direct comparison to another game because the game isn't afraid to play with it's structure at all. Which is one of my absolute favorite things about it tbh. Sometimes it reminds me a lot of stalker, sometimes it reminds me of Half Life, sometimes it's a lot of exposition, sometimes it's cinematic. Even the open areas all have very different approaches from one another in regards to game design. I think it's the best hodge podge game I've ever played, because it still always feels like the same game despite switching styles under the hood frequently. It still feels very coherent and focused (most of the time. The pacing slips here and there)

This comparison is probably really cheesy, but it's sort of like the video game version of Beck. You never know exactly what you are going to get next but it's still going to sound like Beck.

StabMasterArson posted:

I’m sorry Veni

Lol I'll stop giving you a hard time. I don't agree with your opinions on the game at all, but to each his own.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Why is night time so bright? The game can do pitch black interiors but night is barely evening. Normally I dislike mods that made Skyrim pitch black but here you don't even need to use a flashlight and it's often actually harder to see things with night vision.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Carecat posted:

Why is night time so bright? The game can do pitch black interiors but night is barely evening. Normally I dislike mods that made Skyrim pitch black but here you don't even need to use a flashlight and it's often actually harder to see things with night vision.

RTX on is the key here. Unironically.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sekenr posted:

I would advise both new and old players to play Metro Last Light redux or whatever the latest version is. It was built in the time when on the rails shooter with a plot went out of fashion yet built by old school people who love just that. What kind of plot can you expect and yet it just takes you. Maybe its because I played in Russian but betrayal seriously pissed me off, I've grown to like the guy, we've done badass poo poo together. Factions as ridiculous as they are just make sense. Doesn't it make sense for actual skull-measuring nazis to make a resugence when there are real mutants out there. It makes sanse for hardcore commies to resurge when there is food scarcity and the weak need protection from the state otherwise they'll just starve to death. This is the only game since Half-Life 2 that have this unique Half-Life vibe. I don't know how it makes sense but I was giddy with joy throughout. Amazing thing that they throw at you is that is loving beautiful. The last thing you would expect from a game about metro tunnels is to be beautiful, yet it is. The ruins of Moscow are just amazing. I was double amazed because just few weeks before I played this game I visited VDNH irl and when I emerged ingame it just clicked. I recognized the place. Wow, this is the entrance arch these are the ruins of pavillions!

E: Don't shoot factory made ammo, these are currency!
Just started playing for real today but it's pretty funny because within an hour I was also like "hey this could've been HL3". I loved the previous one and this is going well so far too, though I'm just trying to get the train fixed no so I'm not sure how well it would transition to the more open-world parts.

Now that I think about it, Crysis had one of my favorite balances of huge maps where you could approach a number of objectives in different ways, without the drudgery that is climbing radio tows and clearing the same checkpoints over and over. Curious to see if this is what it's going to be like.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 24, 2019

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
The most fun parts of this game is fighting humans. It's a bit disappointing how much this game wants you to stealthily crouch walk in plain view (while hitting the good boy stealth kill button and not the bad boy stealth kill button).

Fighting disgusting poo poo critters in a vehicle section feels like the most Half Life thing. The last one of those sections especially.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wooper posted:

The most fun parts of this game is fighting humans. It's a bit disappointing how much this game wants you to stealthily crouch walk in plain view (while hitting the good boy stealth kill button and not the bad boy stealth kill button).

Fighting disgusting poo poo critters in a vehicle section feels like the most Half Life thing. The last one of those sections especially.

thats the issue i had with last light. human fights were tough at times but they were fun. creature fights are annoying and fiddly at best. gently caress those mantis frogs. gently caress that entire third of the game.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I thought the first bit dragged but it's pretty much awesome once you get on the train and beyond.
up until the the first proper mission (row over to the church) I thought the game was awful, even ignoring the lag. That first bit really doesn't sell the game well at all.

After that though the game is awesome though, it's an urbex fan's wet dream. It's also refreshing playing a game that doesn't have a billion quest markers and tagging and x-ray vision and all the other training-wheels type stuff modern games seem to love.

Just a shame it's so janky.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
My biggest problem with this game is that you can't skip dialogue ahead, just got to stand there and listen to some guy for 5 minutes as he very slowly gets to the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
They didn't do badly but it would benefit from survival or RPG elements to back up all exploration as you mostly just find a few boxes worth of generic resources and very rarely a weapon mod. This isn't a problem with Fallout or Stalker because of the breadth of crafting/trading but here it's just ammo, the two resource types and very rarely a new weapon mod.