Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I say make it a plot arc for our diggle next season of Arrow and then spin him off onto his own Arrowverse show

I'd say close down Arrow (and maybe Flash) and spin it off into a Justice League-type show (I have no idea what team names are available to use).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd say close down Arrow (and maybe Flash) and spin it off into a Justice League-type show (I have no idea what team names are available to use).
Fairness Consortium.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Xelkelvos posted:

Arrow has improved quite a bit this season, I don't think it's reached the point where they're out of ideas yet.

That being said, I've always said that instead of a crossover each year, they should have a miniseries event that runs for 4 or so episodes over the course of a week between seasons; and features whichever of the Arrowverse characters the story requires.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I finally watched the first episode of Doom Patrol and while I'm still a little mixed on some of the decisions made (Cliff's background making him a much more lovely person), some of the changes made becasue of the altered choronlogy work in its favor a little like making the relationship between Robotman and Jane closer to father/daughter (at least it's hinting at that possibility) rather than pure love interest and separating the Patrol's members' origins to make them make more sense across the decades.

I'm really interested in how it all plays out but it's hitting a lot of the right tonal notes for what I'd expect out of a Doom Patrol series.

Edit: I also have a feeling like Fraiser channeled some of the emotions from his divorce and his career into his portrayal of Cliff.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
So if Cliff has been there for 20ish years how does Jane "come and go as she pleases" and he has no idea who she is? She doesn't appear to be much older than 20 or so herself. Did I miss a scene or something?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

So if Cliff has been there for 20ish years how does Jane "come and go as she pleases" and he has no idea who she is? She doesn't appear to be much older than 20 or so herself. Did I miss a scene or something?
And that's what I mean when I complain about the time thing.

It's apparently the first time in 20 years he's seen Rita lose control too, which for a condition presented as uncontrollable is a decent average.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

I liked the time leap, it gave a nod to the story's origin in 1988 while quickly bringing it into modern day. It's better IMO than setting the whole series in the 90s; and if Robotman's origin was in current time the body design would be crude and obsolete.

If you think about it none of this makes sense, which is kind of the point of Mr Nobody.

And I expect that first episode was just dipping our toes into the ocean of bonkers that's coming in Ep 2.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 20, 2019

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I liked it way better than Titans. Titans just seemed tonally wrong from what I wanted from a Titans show. Doom Patrol seems to have a better fit. Also it helps that they aren't saddled with a really bad actress as their main focus (the actress playing Raven has no dynamic range- which is saying a lot since she's playing Raven).

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My complaint wasn't about the time leap at all, I think you're right about that.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah that line stood out as a deliberate callback.

You were right about Kori being an antagonist. Did not see that coming.

Some exterior scenes seemed familiar until this shot of Jump confirmed it's Toronto.

Somewhat off thread topic, if anyone's watching The Umbrealla Academy it's also shot in Toronto.

Every Toronto location that shows up in the first season of Netflix’s The Umbrella Academy

Lot of meta activity going on in this city.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

From the slot cars table montage I got the sense he hadn’t left that room for more than a decade.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doom Patrol might be the best thing on TV right now, it's astonishing self aware and funny as gently caress. It's the Orville of comic shows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah I've super come around on Doom Patrol, they really nailed it. Would love to hear Grant Morrison's thoughts on how it's going.

The only thing I'm still not keen on is the transition effect they put on Jane, but that's because I feel Diane Guerrero has what it takes to pull it of without it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah I've super come around on Doom Patrol, they really nailed it. Would love to hear Grant Morrison's thoughts on how it's going.

The only thing I'm still not keen on is the transition effect they put on Jane, but that's because I feel Diane Guerrero has what it takes to pull it of without it.

It's better to do that than just have her change mid sentence and hope the dummy with a twitter account can follow along.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This was my favourite episode of 2019.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I love this Grant Morrison style of writing. Caulder asks, "Who are you talking to?" and Nobody sneers:
"Grant Morrison fans, Reddit trolls with DC subscriptions, and the three new fans who stuck around after the donkey fart"
"You still think you control this story, don't you", the Chief challenges back.

I don't know Morrison's opinion yet but for me, so far this is a better adaptation than I was even hoping for.

And then Nobody narrating to us and to the Doom Patrol in their nightmare fugue state or whatever alternate dimension of consciousness they were in.

Ezekiel The Roach is posted among the residents in this art installation. Sure why not he had a speaking part.

Enjoyed Rita's "I saw what you did there" to Cliff. And even after being expelled from an exploding donkey, Golden Globe™ nominee Rita Farr does not simply stand up.

Release the Negative Spirit, Larry.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 24, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just finished watching Titans throughout the week cause I saw it on Netflix and it looked interesting. I'm vaguely aware of a cartoon called Teen Titans from when I was a kid but I never watched it, so I went into this show thinking that Teen Titans was the Justice League except when they were all teenagers and so "obviously" Titans must just be the same thing but for a more adult audience. I also don't know anything about the Batman universe, only what I've seen in the last 3 Nolan Batman movies, and Wonder Woman. Oh and I guess I've seen a few episodes of Supergirl in passing.

Overall I liked the show because it didn't really take itself too seriously. I liked watching Jessica Jones etc as well, but the tone for those Marvel shows are like 100% serious and dark and Titans wasn't.

The ending seemed super duper abrupt though. My Netflix only had 11 episodes so I had to go look it up to see if it was missing something but apparently they cut out the two final episodes (12 and 13) for no reason?

The Wonder Girl person (who I actually thought was Batgirl until the lasso thing) mentioned something about her being on the island Wonder Woman is from. In the Wonder Woman movie I thought Robin Wright's character said that once Wonder Woman leaves the island, she'd never be able to find her way back, or something to that effect. Was that not true or how does Wonder Girl and Wonder Woman (pretty sure she said "we") get onto that island?

e: Also having watched everything in one week, I'm 99% sure that every single bad thing that happens to the characters in this show was because the characters split up.

e2: The alien's name is cilantro :v:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 24, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Maybe Titans creative team will learn from DP they can do tragic without going full grimdark.

Does anyone know what is the lost donkey music around 15 minutes in?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I really kinda don't get where the idea that Titans is "full grimdark" came from. Its tone is basically the same as Arrow or Flash, just with blood and gently caress-words because it's on streaming and they're not beholden to S&P.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Sorry for the semantic error. At least I didn't call Starfire cilantro.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 25, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I really kinda don't get where the idea that Titans is "full grimdark" came from. Its tone is basically the same as Arrow or Flash, just with blood and gently caress-words because it's on streaming and they're not beholden to S&P.

Flash generally doesn't have the same tone as Arrow or Titans does. It does dip in there, especially after season 1, but it's sorta undermined by the characters' own stupidity and by the darkness usually only being carried by the villains while everyone else is doesn't. Arrow definitely does go there though. What sets Titans apart, I think, is partially the expectations for the characters and how it approaches it in a manner that Arrow sorta doesn't. Arrow is dark, certainly, but I don't think anyone would characterize it as "grimdark" and some of that is not reveling in its "darkness" (one of the themes in Arrow is literally overcoming the darkness) and some of it has to do with being forced to be subtle with its darkness.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I find the idea of Titans as grimdark surprising too. Titans is dark, but a lot of it is dark humor, not very grim at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomforthetuna posted:

I find the idea of Titans as grimdark surprising too. Titans is dark, but a lot of it is dark humor, not very grim at all.

Yeah, the Hawk and Dove stuff is the only thing to really approach being grim.

The palette is visually dark, and there's violence and a bit of gore, but it largely avoids the implications of its violence, gore, etc. much like Arrow, SHIELD, Buffy, any of those shows do. It's not House Of Cards (UK).

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I've never been much of a comic book fan, but the Doom Patrol series grabbed me for some reason and I was pleasantly surprised to hear it getting a live-action adaptation, since they're not the "actually badass, looks cool, very marketable" brand of "outcasts". And I thought the first two episodes started really strong! The writing is strong and well-paced, and I thought they managed to balance the gloomy angsty stuff with the series' characteristic off-brand surrealism pretty well.

It's interesting that Rita is probably the most interesting character for me personally so far, both in terms of her personality and her backstory, considering she's not really that memorable in her other incarnations. Also I appreciate the subtlety in the way they showed Cyborg's relationship with his father, that they don't feel the need to have Cyborg directly spell out "you are controlling me dad i want to be my own man".

Anyway, what I've seen so far makes me pretty confident in the writing quality for the rest of the season. Good stuff.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Boris Galerkin posted:

e2: The alien's name is cilantro :v:

It's Koriand'r (which is just as stupid) but you were close!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the Hawk and Dove stuff is the only thing to really approach being grim.

The palette is visually dark, and there's violence and a bit of gore, but it largely avoids the implications of its violence, gore, etc. much like Arrow, SHIELD, Buffy, any of those shows do. It's not House Of Cards (UK).

I dunno, I have to agree that Titans comes off as quite a bit darker than the Arrowverse stuff. The fight scenes alone are on a whole different level of brutality and gore, you really get a sense that the goons are getting their skulls crushed or eyes gouged out. And the theming is a lot more bleak, too -- Arrowverse shows don't do much in the way of medical torture or creepy killers like the family in Titans, either. There was a distinct sense that the Titans directors were trying to make viewers more uncomfortable than you'd get in the cheesy, more-or-less family-friendly Arrowverse stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phenotype posted:

It's Koriand'r (which is just as stupid) but you were close!

Star's name is Koriand'r and her sister is Kommand'r. It's super dumb.

Btw, I did like the easter egg and name drop of the Ant Farm when Cyborg was listening into the FBI comms. For non-comic fans, the Ant Farm is the HQ of SHADE which is basically the sub-org tasked with handling extra weird poo poo that isn't obviously magical, alien, technological in nature. Their main go-to team on matters like this are the Creature Commandos led by Frankenstein (the monster, but he named himself after his creator).

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Thanks for that detail.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think I'd like this show if it was a little less smug tbh. I feel that a lot of the writing (and a lot of marketing -- certainly the word of mouth kind) makes it seems like it's unusual and extreme and totally out there, but when you compare it something like Flowers, or a lot of your Adult Swim Originals, it's really not that weird.

It has its moments, like the gag with the murderous language, but they're always the ones that the show doesn't make a huge deal about announcing. But as soon as Cliff starts going on about how loving weird everything is, or Mr Nobody slabs on another ironic monologue about how his show's totally gone post-pomo, I just roll my eyes. Stop patting yourself on the back, show. It's all been done, and everything you're saying is just reinforcing how heated over your contributions are.

There's a lot of good stuff there, so I'm going to keep watching. The show's managed to ground enough of its weightlessness in emotional truth that I can buy into these characters, and there's a enjoyable weirdness to having two actors voice-over other actor's performances. The cumulative effect is off -- floaty, like bad CGI -- but it's off in ways that compliment the production. Voices disconnected from bodies fit in pretty well with the Cartesian-ly challenged cohort.

Whoever's playing Plastic Woman deserves some sort of award -- not only is she great, she's also the only reason this show's remotely grounded. (Cliff, who's meant to be 'the normal one', is completely incapable of taking on that role for a number of reasons). She's always finding interesting things to do and doing them well. I reckon the entire show would fall apart without her.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Referring to Doom Patrol as 'this show' is kinda confusing when you're posting in the Titans thread.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I really dug the first two episodes of Doom Patrol. Mr. Nobody's nightmare world reminded me a lot of playing the Stanley Parable. Also, it's good to see Brendan Fraser in something again.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

ubachung posted:

Referring to Doom Patrol as 'this show' is kinda confusing when you're posting in the Titans thread.

I think a mod or the OP should just change the title to reflect that this is the Titans/Doom Patrol and any eventual other interconnected shows’ thread.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Yeah I wasn't complaining, I'm probably just easily confused.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kjetting posted:

I think a mod or the OP should just change the title to reflect that this is the Titans/Doom Patrol and any eventual other interconnected shows’ thread.

Make this the DC Universe Streaming shows thread

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I PM’d muscles about it earlier. I meant to after I brought it up a couple weeks back and people dug the idea, but I forgot!

Doom Patrol episode 2 was great I’m liking this show a lot

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No one's really the "normal one" in Doom Patrol, they're all different degrees of damaged and basically an assisted living facility with superpowers. Cliff in particular is more the dumb brute of the crew. Heart of gold (poss. literally) but emphatically not the brightest bulb.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Today was the day I realized that Teen Titans has an after-credits scene, whatever the gently caress that means for a Netflix show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ufarn posted:

Today was the day I realized that Teen Titans has an after-credits scene, whatever the gently caress that means for a Netflix show.

It's not a Netflix show, it's just parked there for some of us.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ufarn posted:

They're usually called Stingers or Tag scenes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-credits_scene

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yet another Aussie cast member.

https://www.thewrap.com/titans-adds-superboy-for-season-2-joshua-orpin-cast-in-the-role/

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just got to the end of Doom Patrol episode 3 and please tell me this is a villain from the comics and we will be seeing... whatever that was again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

I just got to the end of Doom Patrol episode 3 and please tell me this is a villain from the comics and we will be seeing... whatever that was again

You mean Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man? Yeah he's one of the more notable Doom Patrol villains so he'll probably appear again.