Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's also Ready Player One, which in an unusual case the entire book is skippable, so you're best off watching the movie while under the influence so you don't get pissed at what happens to the Iron Giant.

I wonder how much of the book would be left if you skipped the lists and other pop culture tedium, and also pointless asides like Wade spending a week in a virtual brothel or Wade stalking his lust interest by recreating the 'Say Anything' scene outside her moon fortress or whatever. But then I repeat myself having already said with 'pop culture tedium.'

Although RLM's Mike made the interesting observation that the movie is perfectly functional but at the same time less interesting because it mostly strips out a lot of the awful that made the book a train wreck you'd want to gape at. (At least in small doses.)

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Although RLM's Mike made the interesting observation that the movie is perfectly functional but at the same time less interesting because it mostly strips out a lot of the awful that the book a train wreck you'd want to gape at. (At least in small does.)

If you want this experience, then the Fifty Shades films are probably the best example we'll ever see of the phenomenon. Especially the latter two, where Erika Leonard got sick of Hollywood types coming in and messing up her vision by trying to fix at least some of the bullshit. It is literal fan-fiction scaled up for the big screen to the tune of fifty-five million dollars a pop.

Honestly, is there another example anywhere of a popular hack who failed upwards so stratospherically?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dabir posted:

second best part: shotgunning zombies in the head cmon

that's the third best part, the actual second best part is using the gravity gun to chop a zombie's head off with a buzzsaw

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

that's the third best part, the actual second best part is using the gravity gun to chop a zombie's head off with a buzzsaw

Fire is better than buzzsaws. Means you don't have to deal with the headcrabs afterwards.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Skippy McPants posted:

If you want this experience, then the Fifty Shades films are probably the best example we'll ever see of the phenomenon. Especially the latter two, where Erika Leonard got sick of Hollywood types coming in and messing up her vision by trying to fix at least some of the bullshit. It is literal fan-fiction scaled up for the big screen to the tune of fifty-five million dollars a pop.

Honestly, is there another example anywhere of a popular hack who failed upwards so stratospherically?

Dan Olson's video series on 50 Shades was great if enraging because, like Twilight, a female director elevates a bad-to-middling source-material into a profitable film. But she gets kicked off when the gravy train gets rolling and all the directors of the sequels are men. You can also see a shift in directive-vision because the subsequent films are on a rushed schedule: Twilight was an annual franchise with some heavy special effects, 50 Shades was shot back-to-back.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 24, 2019

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dan Olson's video series on 50 Shades was great if enraging because, like Twilight, a female director elevates a bad-to-middling source-material into a profitable film. But she gets kicked off when the gravy train gets rolling and all the directors of the sequels are men. You can also see a shift in directive-vision because the subsequent films are on a rushed schedule: Twilight was an annual franchise with some heavy special effects, 50 Shades was shot back-to-back.

The sequels may have had James Foley’s name on the poster, but the real conductor of that trainwreck was the original author Erika Leonard aka E.L. James. It was her who drove Sam Taylor-Johnson off of the project by being so argumentative, and who then went on to be given almost total creative control over the rest of the series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I notice that people are mirroring that Big Joel video about Anita Sarkeesian. Did chuds get it taken down?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The right has a lot more ground to lose on YouTube, so I hope the left are getting down and dirty with the takedowns while it lasts.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I notice that people are mirroring that Big Joel video about Anita Sarkeesian. Did chuds get it taken down?

Sure looks that way. Just after Sargon did a video response to it too, if you can believe this wacky coincidence!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

https://twitter.com/biggestjoel/status/1099567023720448000

https://twitter.com/biggestjoel/status/1099570618989719552

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ugh I've always hated how smug thunderf00t is, even back when he was obviously correct. And even back then he made the stupidest arguments.

I also love how chuds race to remove the mildest criticism. "Oh no, he's said that our criticism is a little silly! DESTROY HIM!!!!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

ugh I've always hated how smug thunderf00t is, even back when he was obviously correct. And even back then he made the stupidest arguments.

It was pretty hilarious to watch him gets out-debated by a YEC. When he's unable to sit behind a camera and be smug, you can see the goof behind the curtain.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oh wow the super absolutely loves free speech forever brigade free speeched someone else's speech that they don't like into the not-speech realm once again, how loving surprising, eat poo poo youtube.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Jeez, taking down a video about Anita Sarkeesian after all the thousands of hours of vids made about her already by Sargon and others? I mean it's not as if she's Ms. Current Affairs either. But then I guess this is more about screwing this guy over than, y'know, being rational.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

Jeez, taking down a video about Anita Sarkeesian after all the thousands of hours of vids made about her already by Sargon and others? I mean it's not as if she's Ms. Current Affairs either. But then I guess this is more about screwing this guy over than, y'know, being rational.

I think it's mostly about trying to stamp out any possible defense of Great Feminism Satan

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Vagabundo posted:

I wonder if striking up friendships with some of the people behind those lovely films.

It might be that, or maybe they were slightly humbled by Space Cop.

To me BOTW felt like had a run of kinda joyless episodes (or it relied on "ringer" bad movies) and whether consciously or unconsciously they seemed to find a way to make it less of a slog, so I'm happy for that.

Edit: Also the comment-pocalypse is apparently happening. A music channel I watch where the host has his young son show up in some videos suddenly had their comments disabed.
The current first post in https://www.youtube.com/user/pegzch/community

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 24, 2019

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Alaois posted:

from my limited knowledge of the Babysitters Club it's probably the first chapter that exists entirely to tell you who the characters are and their personality traits, in case its your first book in the series

Animorphs also did this. I distinctly remember skipping the first chapter every time I got a new book as a child after I picked up on the pattern. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a staple in any long-running kids series.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4WNxIZM-rY

lmbo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ahaha we went to see that movie on friday and as soon as we got out i said it is absolutely oscar bait. Fun movie though. Best editing though?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Thanks to whoever linked Jackson Crawford talking about reconstructing old languages a while back! I've been spending today devouring his channel. It's great stuff!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Thanks to whoever linked Jackson Crawford talking about reconstructing old languages a while back! I've been spending today devouring his channel. It's great stuff!

on a similar note i remember seeing this a few years ago and i still occasionaly think of Wenee Weedee Wiki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_enn7NIo-S0

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
That video about minority content producers getting an inordinate amount of poo poo thrown their way is reminding me super hard of when Danielle Riendeau from Waypoint shat all over the game Red Strings Club because it deadnamed a trans character in it, and for some reason she didn't think to get in touch with any of the game's creators beforehand despite the product overall being sympathetic towards and designed by LGBTQ people.

I really can't fuckin stand this era where depicting a bad thing in your art means you're endorsing it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Thompsons posted:

That video about minority content producers getting an inordinate amount of poo poo thrown their way is reminding me super hard of when Danielle Riendeau from Waypoint shat all over the game Red Strings Club because it deadnamed a trans character in it, and for some reason she didn't think to get in touch with any of the game's creators beforehand despite the product overall being sympathetic towards and designed by LGBTQ people.

I really can't fuckin stand this era where depicting a bad thing in your art means you're endorsing it.

In all fairness, this isn't a recent thing: look at all the panics of the 80s and 90s where "a demon is in it" = "it is literally promoting Satanism."

People are very dumb animals, and/or are very good at figuring out how to squabble for social capital. If you set up a system where social capital comes from finding The Bad Thing and then pointing at the creator and shouting "Witch!" you're gonna discover a whole lot of witches all of a sudden. And, of course, we all trust people in our social circles to have vetted things already, so there's no need to go and check the facts or context... It's probably all straightforward... We all know how many bad people are in the industry...

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
It just sucks because I'd fuckin love to see a bisexual or Latino or Asian villain that was as cool as Simon Phoenix in Demolition Man but I don't want content creators to get scared off from doing it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Thompsons posted:

It just sucks because I'd fuckin love to see a bisexual or Latino or Asian villain that was as cool as Simon Phoenix in Demolition Man but I don't want content creators to get scared off from doing it.

Yeah :(

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1099885475739942912

Is he lying or is he telling the truth?

Or will a worse result happen in our lifetime?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

wiggle: the jason derulo story winning best picture in 2038 is going to break poor todd's brain

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Crash and King's Speech are also contenders

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
King's Speech isn't a bad movie but it was hand tailored to win awards rather than to be good on its own merits.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

King's Speech? That's a hefty 7 out of 10 film.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

King's Speech? That's a hefty 7 out of 10 film.

No, The Damned United is a 7 out of 10, King's Speech is far below that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Crash and Green Book are a whole other level of bad choice. At least The King's Speech doesn't promote racism

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Thompsons posted:

It is worth noting that people take a certain glee in using a villainous or otherwise flawed character to say slurs or do bigoted things. Similar to rape as a tragic backstory, it’s abused as an easy way to get across that the bad guy is indeed bad. And also privileged people love people able to use various slurs and have a handy excuse for it.

The problem is that people can’t separate this from stories that either draw upon personal experience or the bad thing does fit and isn’t a half-assed attempt to be edgy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

The problem is that people can’t separate this from stories that either draw upon personal experience or the bad thing does fit and isn’t a half-assed attempt to be edgy.

And on top of the bad critical skills of many online folks, you also have a legion of bad faith actors ready to charge in at a moment's notice and muddy the water.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

To crosspost from D&D, the Oscars haven't had a layup like Black Panther and/or BlackKklansman since Return of the King, and they wiffed harder than I could have imagined possible. They deserve their descent into ratings hell.

re: "Finding what's interesting about the movie instead of focusing on if it's good or bad," criticism, there's a never-finished book out there on the internet about the making of Star Trek Insurrection that delves deep into what the director wanted and how it fell apart. It's pretty cool.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

It is worth noting that people take a certain glee in using a villainous or otherwise flawed character to say slurs or do bigoted things.

The Tarantino Gambit

Thompsons posted:

Latino villain

Somewhat related, when me and my family once caught fast and furious number whatever on tv we burst out laughing when we saw the evil drug lord bad guy was argentinian. Its nice to know what yankees think of us.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

BlackKklansman

Wait Blackkklansman didnt win anything?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArfJason posted:

Wait Blackkklansman didnt win anything?

It got Best Adapted Screenplay. So Spike Lee walked away with an Oscar tonight... just not for directing :manning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Speaking of Bohemian Rhapsody:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3q3LEaK7_U