Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I would love to know if Stepan’s song after the desert actually sort of matches the subtitles or if what the voice actor is saying is just gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Carecat posted:

They didn't do badly but it would benefit from survival or RPG elements to back up all exploration as you mostly just find a few boxes worth of generic resources and very rarely a weapon mod. This isn't a problem with Fallout or Stalker because of the breadth of crafting/trading but here it's just ammo, the two resource types and very rarely a new weapon mod.

Integrate food for hunger and water for thirst, obviously. Now I know what you're gonna say: "What about beds for sleeping? We already have those." And I'm gonna just nip that in the bud by saying that I want to instead add a third consumable resource called a "Speed Pill" for staving off sleep indefinitely. And if your sleep meter fills up because you're not eating speed pills (or you've simply run out) you pass out and die.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I know the game is based on the novels but christ can every NPC interaction/story not be novel length?

Also this loving second bear fight is really insufferable.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 25, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it by design or a bug that I can’t seem to use campfires to sleep at more than once in Taiga? They just seem to stop working. Sometimes they don’t even work in the first place.

Destro posted:

My biggest problem with this game is that you can't skip dialogue ahead, just got to stand there and listen to some guy for 5 minutes as he very slowly gets to the point.

It's all totally optional and just lore stuff. Anything you have to listen to is usually pretty brief and to the point. That said, I think the writing, while mostly good could have chopped a lot of those conversations down to be shorter, and it would have been a godsend to have a "let's continue this conversation over the radio" prompt so you can play and still listen to what people have to say without coming to a dead stop, often for 5+ minutes. I just met Olga and she literally talks at you for 15 minutes straight if you let her.I wanted to hear it since she gives you the entire backstory of the area, but it would have been nice to be able to listen while I'm playing the game and not just standing there.

It also doesn't help that the characters frequently take long pauses that makes it seem like they are done talking when they aren't, sometimes this happens so many times I just start giggling cause it's so ridiculous but I am also mildly annoyed.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 25, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I just got to the Taiga myself but it seems like “campfire” may just mean “safe place?” I wasn’t looking to advance time though. I guess if I somehow run out of medkits and materials I may miss the healing you can do at beds.

The optional dialogue writing definitely feels like what a team that isn’t experienced at it would do. They don’t want to put too little in because then you’ve got this sizable cast that doesn’t say anything and you know nothing about. And since they obviously don’t spend top dollar on their voice acting :v: putting in a bunch of stuff, as directionless and in need of editing it is, is safer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You can definitely rest at campfire beds. I've rested at most of them. But there has been a couple of times where "whoops the next area is full of humans I don't want to kill so I need night time" and it doesn't give any sort of prompt upon return. It's weird. I also found one where it wouldn't even let me rest in the first place despite there being a bed there.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Finished the game and got the good end. Really don't know how to feel about the game. I'd honestly rank it as the least enjoyable of the 3. The main bulk of the game being 3 giant open areas felt like the game was just aimless for 90% of the playthough. Getting around was a total pain when your sprint lasted for 3 seconds and the things to explore and find were really not that interesting. Taiga being one giant stealth section apart from a camp of bandits to break up the monotony got really really tiresome rather fast and god, the whole Admiral dialogue just dragged on and on like most NPC dialogue. I loved the lore and slight mysticism of the metro and the tunnels but it feels lost in this game. It kind of felt like they midichloria'd the ghost to just be radiation hallucinations? The combat was decent and upgrading weapons was cool and I never really felt starved for resources even on hardcore.

Trading he struggle for survival and the crushing reality of the situation for a string of coincidences from one mcguffin to the next didn't really work for me, at least not in the metro world.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
A historical game based on the Czech Legion would have been sweet.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Finished the game and got the good end. Really don't know how to feel about the game. I'd honestly rank it as the least enjoyable of the 3. The main bulk of the game being 3 giant open areas felt like the game was just aimless for 90% of the playthough. Getting around was a total pain when your sprint lasted for 3 seconds and the things to explore and find were really not that interesting. Taiga being one giant stealth section apart from a camp of bandits to break up the monotony got really really tiresome rather fast and god, the whole Admiral dialogue just dragged on and on like most NPC dialogue. I loved the lore and slight mysticism of the metro and the tunnels but it feels lost in this game. It kind of felt like they midichloria'd the ghost to just be radiation hallucinations? The combat was decent and upgrading weapons was cool and I never really felt starved for resources even on hardcore.

Trading he struggle for survival and the crushing reality of the situation for a string of coincidences from one mcguffin to the next didn't really work for me, at least not in the metro world.

FYI if you “holster” your gun you can not only jog faster but sprint faster/further as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has anyone found a use for the infrared laser?

Is there anything to find on the slave ship? Or is it just a good deed?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

Has anyone found a use for the infrared laser?

No. NV is too bad sadly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

haldolium posted:

No. NV is too bad sadly.

I found NV quite useful in the first area. It's useless in the second, the nights are too bright.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Maybe its cause I'm half blind or because I've been poisoned by playing through literally every Splinter Cell over the years but I thought that night vision worked great and was invaluable for the forced stealth (if you wanna be a good boy). Slap the increased battery pack on that bad boy and I'll run that poo poo all night while I ever so gently smash peoples skulls in.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

I found NV quite useful in the first area. It's useless in the second, the nights are too bright.

I think the desert made out a major part of my playtime. And since the game takes the equipment away in the following part, NV can't really shine.

Even when disregarding it's brightness issues with tiny light sources, the lacking contrast and therefore depth made it less useful to me.

Also since the laser is otherwise invisible, it becomes a much worse option. Should have the option to add IR on top of red/green for convenience imo.

/I'm now wondering how much the difference between RT GI and standard is for the NV

haldolium fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 25, 2019

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I know the game is based on the novels but christ can every NPC interaction/story not be novel length?

Also this loving second bear fight is really insufferable.

You do not have to fight it at all.

Run up the ladder in the first fight and the second fight just lure it to the edge of the cliff and make it charge at you, instant win, no need to use ammo. Any other encounters are optional and were triggered because you wanted to or were being too loud.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Feonir posted:

You do not have to fight it at all.

Run up the ladder in the first fight and the second fight just lure it to the edge of the cliff and make it charge at you, instant win, no need to use ammo. Any other encounters are optional and were triggered because you wanted to or were being too loud.

For that bit it was actually me being stupid. I'd get the cutscene to play where it falls off but I thought that it was a canned animation and the game was killing me so I'd quick load to the start of the fight. :downs:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Great game so far, but I wish I could bind weapon pickup and loot to different buttons as I keep weapon swapping when I'm trying to loot.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/metro/comments/aug5kp/anyone_else_realize_how_fucking_lonely_they_are/?st=JSKI8RNX&sh=98f57b07

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Great game so far, but I wish I could bind weapon pickup and loot to different buttons as I keep weapon swapping when I'm trying to loot.

Loot body is press E, swap weapon is hold E. (Strip weapon is hold R).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And on console/with a controller on PC, picking up loot is press square and weapon pickup is hold square (Or X on xbox). So if you are just trying to get loot remember to just tap it and you you shouldn't accidently pick up a weapon you don't want.

E: I guess you probably could have figured that out from what lone badger said lol. I thought it actually was a different button on PC

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 26, 2019

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The thing is, if you walk into a room with a bunch of loot, you can hold the loot button to automatically open every container and hoover up every piece of loot that falls under your crosshair, which is great and how every game should work. But if you stumble over a gun in the process, you have to let go of the button real quick or you'll swap to it, which kind of breaks the whole flow.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just got out of Moscow on the train. I think with the recs above I’ve gotten the controls as good as they can get on the Xbox. Is there a way to make the voices stand out more? Super weird how they’re either washed out in the background or everyone’s talking over each other. I take it there’s no FOV slider either?

What am I doing when I press B? Is it removing the single round in the chamber of a dropped gun? Seems weird.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Takes any ammo in the gun*, takes any weapon mods you need more copies of, turns spare weapon mods into materials.
* if you are full on ammo the excess will be automatically deconstructed

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh, that’s rad! This game is astoundingly gorgeous on the bone x.

Looking back I think I missed a bunch of journals in the tutorial mission, I only found two. I notice that pickups or collectibles don’t flash or anything, you have to be really careful to find them. I hope I didn’t miss anything good. My understanding of the beginning plot is that the NATO forces were going to continue to destroy Moscow, so they put up the hammer to make Moscow look like nobody survived and it was a wasteland? And it was run by the Hensho(? Who?) and Anna’s dad was in on it but kept quiet out of respect for stability?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

these scenes are awkward because its just anna talking at you for a good 9 minutes straight

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
how the gently caress did i get the bad ending? i loving knocked out most of the people i fought, didn't butcher the cult. didnt kill the tribals, damir left and i knocked out all of the children of the wood but one and the admiral, also gently caress the last third of this game. i just loving drags and isn't fun or entertaining at all. i was disappointed in this game, some of the factions are neat but i kinda liked last light better. i feel like metro worked better when it was more linear and structured but even those parts were hit and miss in exodus.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 26, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Looking back I think I missed a bunch of journals in the tutorial mission, I only found two. I notice that pickups or collectibles don’t flash or anything, you have to be really careful to find them. I hope I didn’t miss anything good. My understanding of the beginning plot is that the NATO forces were going to continue to destroy Moscow, so they put up the hammer to make Moscow look like nobody survived and it was a wasteland? And it was run by the Hensho(? Who?) and Anna’s dad was in on it but kept quiet out of respect for stability?

Hansa never really get talked about much in detail in the games but in the books they are the dominate political power in the Metro. They control the “ring” stations and the center of the rail network inside the ring. Their stations connect to each other, are in relatively good shape, and since the stations outside the ring have to go through the ring to reach the centre, where most trade and commerce happens, they can blockade the stations beyond them at will so everyone sane sort of has to play nice with them. They aren’t as outright evil as the communist and nazi factions in the Metro but I guess Exodus makes them remnants of the government.

Edit: You can see the ring if you google “Moscow subway map” or something.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 26, 2019

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Hansa never really get talked about much in detail in the games but in the books they are the dominate political power in the Metro. They control the “ring” stations and the center of the rail network inside the ring. Their stations connect to each other, are in relatively good shape, and since the stations outside the ring have to go through the ring to reach the centre, where most trade and commerce happens, they can blockade the stations beyond them at will so everyone sane sort of has to play nice with them. They aren’t as outright evil as the communist and nazi factions in the Metro but I guess Exodus makes them remnants of the government.

Edit: You can see the ring if you google “Moscow subway map” or something.

I'm not too up on Metro lore, but it does seem like they are a direct allegory to the Hanseatic League from the early Middle Ages. A bunch of Baltic powers that controlled trade in the region and became very dominant.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That second bear fight sucked rear end. Only part of the game so far that just felt badly designed. 4A isn't very good at boss fights.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm not too up on Metro lore, but it does seem like they are a direct allegory to the Hanseatic League from the early Middle Ages. A bunch of Baltic powers that controlled trade in the region and became very dominant.

Been a while since I read any of the books but I think that’s where the name comes from, yeah.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah that's actually exactly where the name "Hansa" comes from for the group in Metro.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hansa controls the central "Ring Line" of the Metro which every station branches out from. If you want to travel from one line to another, you are going to have to pass through Hansa territory and they are gonna charge you. They are big traders and are rich as hell, they have the best of everything. They don't try to conquer other stations with force but they use economic and political pressure to make them dependant on Hansa.

Here's a summary of the opening plot of the game:

* In 2013 World War 3 happened. The world ended.
* A few thousand people in Moscow survived underground in the Metro.
* For 20ish years, they have lived in the Metro and not heard from the outside world.
* On an expedition to the surface Artyom heard a brief radio message before it quickly returned to static.
* Artyom became obsessed with life beyond the Metro and continually goes outside to try to contact someone but there is only static. This is killing him via radiation poisoning.
* The reason why Artyom can't make radio contact is that there is a ring of radio jammers around Moscow that is hiding it from the outside world and vice-versa.
* Hansa controls these jammers, claiming the war is still going on and the legitimate Russian government still exists and they work for them. This is considered a "state secret".
* At some point in the past one of the jammers was damaged. Hansa cculdn't reach it fast enough so they contacted Miller (who was a colonel in the Russian Special Forces) to secure it and get it running again as fast as possible. He claims to his Rangers that it is a weather station.
* Artyom blunders into one of the jamming stations and breaks it, letting radio signals from all over the world though.
* Hansa declare Artyom and Anna enemies of the state and makes them kill-on-sight.

Later game spoilers
There is no legitimate Russian government left. The war is over. There are no enemy forces. Hansa is either mistaken or purposely isolating the Metro to maintain their economic power. Miller honestly believed the cover story and he's an extremely Honor and Duty type person so he couldn't tell anyone.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Spoiler: Miller is real fuckin’ dum

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Spoiler: Miller is real fuckin’ dum

Like, really dumb.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

yes. or at least a lot of people think the war is still on. it's a dark criticism of cold war thinking or somesuch.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I picked up the first book since I started this game and the world seemed interesting but it's pretty dreadful. Do the books get better (in English)? Sometimes it reads like it was machine translated.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wish I could disable the nightvision on the NV scope. I can't put a 4x scope on the bulldog/valve/tihar, and I only have one 6x scope. But the NV scopes is too hard to see through.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like in the first book when Artyom sees an asian dude and a black dude and immediately thinks they are mutants.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pwnstar posted:

Hansa controls the central "Ring Line" of the Metro which every station branches out from. If you want to travel from one line to another, you are going to have to pass through Hansa territory and they are gonna charge you. They are big traders and are rich as hell, they have the best of everything. They don't try to conquer other stations with force but they use economic and political pressure to make them dependant on Hansa.

Here's a summary of the opening plot of the game:

* In 2013 World War 3 happened. The world ended.
* A few thousand people in Moscow survived underground in the Metro.
* For 20ish years, they have lived in the Metro and not heard from the outside world.
* On an expedition to the surface Artyom heard a brief radio message before it quickly returned to static.
* Artyom became obsessed with life beyond the Metro and continually goes outside to try to contact someone but there is only static. This is killing him via radiation poisoning.
* The reason why Artyom can't make radio contact is that there is a ring of radio jammers around Moscow that is hiding it from the outside world and vice-versa.
* Hansa controls these jammers, claiming the war is still going on and the legitimate Russian government still exists and they work for them. This is considered a "state secret".
* At some point in the past one of the jammers was damaged. Hansa cculdn't reach it fast enough so they contacted Miller (who was a colonel in the Russian Special Forces) to secure it and get it running again as fast as possible. He claims to his Rangers that it is a weather station.
* Artyom blunders into one of the jamming stations and breaks it, letting radio signals from all over the world though.
* Hansa declare Artyom and Anna enemies of the state and makes them kill-on-sight.

Later game spoilers
There is no legitimate Russian government left. The war is over. There are no enemy forces. Hansa is either mistaken or purposely isolating the Metro to maintain their economic power. Miller honestly believed the cover story and he's an extremely Honor and Duty type person so he couldn't tell anyone.

so whats the story with the goverment bunker. did they all just go canibal or is this commentary on oligarchs. why do they have a bunch of weird inbred fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so whats the story with the goverment bunker. did they all just go canibal or is this commentary on oligarchs. why do they have a bunch of weird inbred fighters.

Cannibalism can cause diseases that can have drastic on human brain chemistry and behavior. A lot of the big ones are pretty similar to rabies.