Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

It got Best Adapted Screenplay. So Spike Lee walked away with an Oscar tonight... just not for directing :manning:

Hm, i see. Some of the camera work and editing was pretty fun, i dunno if i would say best directing but i havent seen almost anything from last year. What i did really like was the photography and lighting, all those warm tones got a bit samey after a while, but still i loved how it portrayed that funky 70s sun drenched cityscape. Are there awards for that?
Also i was gonna say it should have won best music or score or whatever but then i remembered bohemian rhapsody was 2018 and realized nothing would beat an overproduced queen movie lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hi folks, I put out a new video yesterday. It's about my favourite Marvel series: Cable's second solo outing. It's a series that has mostly been forgotten by the comicsphere, which is a shame because it's really neat and portrays Cable in a much more nuanced light than as the oorah 90s hero that most people remember him as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmVLwhBWyM0

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

ArfJason posted:

Hm, i see. Some of the camera work and editing was pretty fun, i dunno if i would say best directing but i havent seen almost anything from last year. What i did really like was the photography and lighting, all those warm tones got a bit samey after a while, but still i loved how it portrayed that funky 70s sun drenched cityscape. Are there awards for that?
Also i was gonna say it should have won best music or score or whatever but then i remembered bohemian rhapsody was 2018 and realized nothing would beat an overproduced queen movie lol

Really, he should have been nominated and won back in '90 for Do The Right Thing, but was famously snubbed and Driving Miss Daisy, of all things, won for Best Picture. Green Book winning last night is essentially history repeating itself, although this time he actually won the screenplay award. Spike Lee should have won Best Director for a career of being left out by the Academy. Cuaron, as great as he is, has enough awards.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

Really, he should have been nominated and won back in '90 for Do The Right Thing, but was famously snubbed and Driving Miss Daisy, of all things, won for Best Picture. Green Book winning last night is essentially history repeating itself, although this time he actually won the screenplay award. Spike Lee should have won Best Director for a career of being left out by the Academy. Cuaron, as great as he is, has enough awards.

I mean, the Academy has repeatedly shown that it only likes safe racism movies that don't make white people feel sad or guilty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

It got Best Adapted Screenplay. So Spike Lee walked away with an Oscar tonight... just not for directing :manning:

Ah. Being Scorsese'd.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Not sure how anyone can be surprised when Crash won an Oscar

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
spike lee never won for Livin Da' Dream either

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bohemian rhapsody winning for best editing is absolutely hilarious

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

it's an even bigger blunder than giving best picture to Green Book

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JordanKai posted:

Hi folks, I put out a new video yesterday. It's about my favourite Marvel series: Cable's second solo outing. It's a series that has mostly been forgotten by the comicsphere, which is a shame because it's really neat and portrays Cable in a much more nuanced light than as the oorah 90s hero that most people remember him as.

This was a really good video. Please make more, I crave more comics content.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Puppy Time posted:

I mean, the Academy has repeatedly shown that it only likes safe racism movies that don't make white people feel sad or guilty.

Exactly. See: Green Book

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

To crosspost from D&D, the Oscars haven't had a layup like Black Panther and/or BlackKklansman since Return of the King, and they wiffed harder than I could have imagined possible. They deserve their descent into ratings hell.

re: "Finding what's interesting about the movie instead of focusing on if it's good or bad," criticism, there's a never-finished book out there on the internet about the making of Star Trek Insurrection that delves deep into what the director wanted and how it fell apart. It's pretty cool.

Black panther being deserving of an oscar is a pretty good meme, but I'm happy spike lee got an oscar though. Also how he kept dissing the green book in not so subtle ways

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Yvonmukluk posted:

This was a really good video. Please make more, I crave more comics content.

Thank you!! :3: I do plan on doing more comic stuff in the future, but I regret to say that my next video will be about anime.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

McCloud posted:

Black panther being deserving of an oscar is a pretty good meme, but I'm happy spike lee got an oscar though. Also how he kept dissing the green book in not so subtle ways

I don't see what's so "meme," about it. Black Panther was a huge accomplishment of film making and a moment of significant cultural import regardless of your feelings on the movies actual quality (which was pretty high). Best Picture is about far more than just raw artistic merit.

That said, I would have picked Black Klansman over it, though not by much.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
holy moley lmao

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't need to watch the video to know that Jim's take on Anthem is not a spicy hot take.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Blank panther being a huge accomplishment is a hell of a take

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only take I accept is that Spider-Verse should have won every award.

Edit - That's not true, the other take I accept is that the Oscars as a concept are really dumb.

Roth fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Black Panther was between the second and fourth most deserving movie on the docket for best picture (Lee should have won), and I only say that because I didn't see two of the entrants. It was easily better than most of the slate of stinkers the Academy lined up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

McCloud posted:

black panther absolutely earned the awards that it actually won and while it wouldn’t be my pick for best picture it would be a better pick than green book (not saying much)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Blank panther being a huge accomplishment is a hell of a take

It definitely accomplished a lot of money

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

For those uninterested in the Academy Awards, here's Boogie being a weirdo:

https://twitter.com/Boogie2988/status/1100133390164971520

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Boogie is trying to be the worst person isn't he?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

She is probably used to dudes creepin by now, but this might be the most high profile one. :stare:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I agree the by the numbers toy advertisment for 13 year olds should absolutely have won best picture, and is one of the landmark cinematic moments in history

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Roth posted:

the other take I accept is that the Oscars as a concept are really dumb.

also this but with the caveat that its dumb fun

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

TheMaestroso posted:

i should see do the right thing someday. lmao at losing to driving miss disy though the oscars are rotten to hell

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sorry, I don't know 100000 people I can't be friends with anyone.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

I know Jim Hoft is the canonical Stupidest Man on the Internet, but Boogie is making a serious run for his crown lately.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
whos boogie

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArfJason posted:

whos boogie

A fat dumbass who gets mad about video games and ladies on the youtubes and has the dumbest hot takes on every topic imaginable.

He's a fart made flesh.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sorry, I don't know 100000 people I can't be friends with anyone.
Just spend ~googles~ about $230. Like all metrics it's only meeting the metric that matters, not the method.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

A fat dumbass who gets mad about video games and ladies on the youtubes and has the dumbest hot takes on every topic imaginable.

He's a fart made flesh.

"It's like God spilled a person."
- Troy Barnes, Community

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Hey, that was really good and thanks for including all the many different roles Cable served over the years and also his complicated backstory. I certainly had no idea the arm and eye were like that roboticizing virus in the Sonic the Hedgehog comics that was actually still growing the entire time. Extra fancy and powerful prosthetics like that aren't surprising to me considering the medium.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

Checkmark club is not a club. I hope he’s not trying to slide into twitter networks of people who are talented and can think, because he definitely wouldn’t fit in under those criteria.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PS google and social media are the capitalist hell where we all burn and burn, but if people who do nice stuff use them to survive, that’s better than people making friends with the Wendy’s official account.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I am actually great friends with boogie

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

a.lo posted:

I am actually great friends with boogie

Then tell him to stop being such a dipshit.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

He's a fart made flesh.

Boogie’s frustrating because he’s not actively malevolent just dumb and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PASS THE MASH posted:

Boogie’s frustrating because he’s not actively malevolent just dumb and white.

nah he's actively malevolent, sorry