Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I mean that's one facet of this but I straight up said I can't afford a new tv so I don't know what's had to understand here. But also the reoccurring theme in this very thread about UHD is whether or not it's so much better as to even be worth bothering and that's when people aren't talking about how low the sales are and if it's going to even continue.

Leaving the affordability aside though, I was addressing the other part of your post that seemed to argue that you don't feel upgrading would be worth it anyway just to watch comic book movies in slightly higher definition. The format is expanding to other genres and other eras of film than just modern blockbusters, is all I was trying to point out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure most broadcast tv isn't even in 1080p anyway. There's still no excuse for watching the Big Bang Theory, but that's a whole other problem.
Yeah, broadcast TV tops out at 1080i, but who gives a poo poo about broadcast TV anymore? :v:

I mean I watch a couple shows as they air on TV, but most of the content I consume is through streaming services that go up to 4K.

Even watching series airing on broadcast TV through their websites/apps with your cable login is better than watching them through a set top box because at least that way you can see them in 1080p (or maybe even 4K in some cases?).

The 1080i thing is just an old standard that nobody ever bothered to upgrade.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure most broadcast tv isn't even in 1080p anyway. There's still no excuse for watching the Big Bang Theory, but that's a whole other problem.

My TV displays the resolution in the channel information. Subchannels tend to be 480i, it's not a huge deal as most of it is pillar boxed pre-HD series.

I haven't paid a lot of attention, but 720i is the most common for network TV, and most sportsball is in 1080i.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The resolution thing sucks and it's made worse by shitass compression leaving blocks everywhere gah.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FilthyImp posted:

The resolution thing sucks and it's made worse by shitass compression leaving blocks everywhere gah.

The technology for HD broadcasts has been there since the 90s but everyone dragged their feet on it. They even made a joke about it on an old episode of the Simpsons.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see a Last of the Mohicans UHD for that reason, because the existing blu ray doesn't quite handle the nighttime scenes the way I'd like and like 50% of the movie takes place at night with all kinds of interesting shadows playing off the actors faces.

That has nothing to do with limitations of BD though. The Last of the Mohicans looks pretty bad on BD because someone involved in the grading process decided to turn the brightness way down, which means that night scenes suffer from massive black crush and scenes that take place in bright sunlight look like they were shot on overcast days.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just finished watching my first UHD all the way through - I had intended it to be 2001: A Space Odyssey, but that was my first Blu-ray. Ended up going with The Big Lebowski, which I had never seen all the way through - just bits and pieces before.

Kind of neat to have finally seen such an important film for the first time in the best quality since it seems that every DVD and Blu-ray before this completely sucked rear end.

Oh, and it looked and sounded fantastic.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Egbert Souse posted:

Just finished watching my first UHD all the way through - I had intended it to be 2001: A Space Odyssey, but that was my first Blu-ray. Ended up going with The Big Lebowski, which I had never seen all the way through - just bits and pieces before.

Kind of neat to have finally seen such an important film for the first time in the best quality since it seems that every DVD and Blu-ray before this completely sucked rear end.

Shut the gently caress up, Egbert!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Egbert!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Egbert Souse posted:

how did the restored Toe Scene look in UHD

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Man I really need to follow through with my plans for a double feature of Inherent Vice and The Big Lebowski this year

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
following the chat of physical media dying, here is one of 2019's best reasons to go region-free if you're stuck in the USA:

https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1098386021312593921

It has a physical blu-ray release in the UK and will in other regions, apparently. Just not stateside. Although I could see Criterion picking it up eventually.

Has anyone heard any news on whether Roma is going to have a physical release?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I, Butthole posted:

following the chat of physical media dying, here is one of 2019's best reasons to go region-free if you're stuck in the USA:

https://twitter.com/cevangelista413/status/1098386021312593921

It has a physical blu-ray release in the UK and will in other regions, apparently. Just not stateside. Although I could see Criterion picking it up eventually.

Has anyone heard any news on whether Roma is going to have a physical release?
I was stoked that this was coming to Prime in March because it had never come to theaters here. Then I saw that it starts playing in theaters here on Friday and grabbed a ticket :dance:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Speaking of poo poo with no region 1 releases, is there any Timecrimes blu-ray with English subtitles?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There’s rumors that Criterion is making a deal with Netflix to handle physical releases for Roma, The Other Side of the Wind, and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Amazon would be dumb to not do the same.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Egbert Souse posted:

There’s rumors that Criterion is making a deal with Netflix to handle physical releases for Roma, The Other Side of the Wind, and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Amazon would be dumb to not do the same.

i hope we get some of the other Criterion-worthy Netflix movies that have come out over the last couple years. Okja, The Meyerowitz Stories, High Flying Bird, Shirkers, Mudbound, Apostle, First They Killed My Father, Beasts of No Nation, I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, Velvet Buzzsaw...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Netflix does release a lot of their originals on physical but they're just bare bones, so it would be great if someone like Criteron would release something with features.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

DC Murderverse posted:

i hope we get some of the other Criterion-worthy Netflix movies that have come out over the last couple years. Okja, The Meyerowitz Stories, High Flying Bird, Shirkers, Mudbound, Apostle, First They Killed My Father, Beasts of No Nation, I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, Velvet Buzzsaw...

What, and no Ridiculous 6?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Attention Kiwi goons that browse this thread: JB Hi-Fi is doing a sale of Fox steelbook blu-rays. I just nabbed Patton and The Hustler. They're also handling some Arrow Video releases, such as Zardoz, so keep an eye out for those.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Does anyone know what the quality of the upcoming Little Mermaid 4k is like?

Already have the 3D Blu, and I loving love that thing. How much better can it get??

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

High-Def Digest have a review of it up - https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/64096/thelittlemermaid4kultrahdbluray.html

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Does anyone know what the quality of the upcoming Little Mermaid 4k is like?

Already have the 3D Blu, and I loving love that thing. How much better can it get??

The Little Mermaid should be interesting as an example because it was the last Disney feature shot mostly in 35mm. Disney actually continued to shoot their features on 35mm sequential exposure - basically, shooting on B&W negative stock with color filters, just as they had been since 1933 (the first half-year of 3-strip cartoons were shot was a regular Technicolor camera).

However, since they process all their animated films through Reliance Mediaworks, I doubt it'll look much like a 35mm-based production, but rather the "vectored digital art" look that The Lion King has.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Screen Archives and Twilight Time have an Oscar sale for a few more days.

I ended up getting Miss Sadie Thompson (in 3-D!) and Two for the Road for $14 each, plus their new release of Bedazzled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like the Alien UHD was delayed by 3 weeks from the first week of April to towards the end of the month.

I wonder what the reason is for the UHD delays that we're seeing fairly often? More demand for them than expected? Wasn't that at least partially what happened with 2001, they had to scramble and manufacture more than they'd originally expected to?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like the Alien UHD was delayed by 3 weeks from the first week of April to towards the end of the month.

I wonder what the reason is for the UHD delays that we're seeing fairly often? More demand for them than expected? Wasn't that at least partially what happened with 2001, they had to scramble and manufacture more than they'd originally expected to?

2001 had a manufacturing/authoring defect iirc

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zenintrude posted:

2001 had a manufacturing/authoring defect iirc

That was the cause of one delay, but then there was a second delay that I thought was more about them not having manufactured enough, of course that was probably at least partially caused by the original problem with the defect.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

plus their new release of Bedazzled.

I love this movie so much. Comedies that are five decades old rarely hold up well (I cringed myself into a singularity when I watched The Party) but this one owns immensely.

EDIT: is there any update on when the Warner Archive blu of The Crowd might be landing? That's probably my #1 most anticipated release of this year so far.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
How does one handle picking up things with no US release? Do you just have to get lucky on eBay or is there a go-to website everyone imports from?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

That depends what you're looking for. Most of my import stuff comes from ebay, amazon.co.uk, direct from Arrow or Eureka, or dddhouse for Hong Kong stuff

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

For horror / sci-fi / trash movies, use Diabolik. He has tons of titles, and packages his stuff really well, so there's never any damage.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah Diabolik is great, it's like a one-stop online shop for drat near every boutique label that releases horror, sci-fi and exploitation movies. I don't know if they have every single release but they have a lot, and you'd save on shipping getting them all from the same retailer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

trdn89 posted:

I love this movie so much. Comedies that are five decades old rarely hold up well (I cringed myself into a singularity when I watched The Party) but this one owns immensely.

EDIT: is there any update on when the Warner Archive blu of The Crowd might be landing? That's probably my #1 most anticipated release of this year so far.

It was only mentioned as "they're working on it" in the podcast.

For what it's worth, they just put up a plain re-issue of The Jazz Singer on DVD and Blu-ray for pre-order. It's a little more expensive than usual, so I guess they're still including the second and third discs of documentaries and Vitaphone shorts.

They also added the Garbo silent A Woman of Affairs, as well as bunch of early MGM/WB talkies like The Mysterious Island and Coquette.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Podcast?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive Podcast - it's on iTunes. It's basically George Feltenstein and the other producers talking about the week's latest releases. It's a bit sales pitchy, but they're serious movie fans and read letters. They also have special episodes for some releases like getting cartoon expert Jerry Beck to talk about Porky Pig or Popeye for an hour.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Mill Creek releasing Eyes of Laura Mars plus reissues of Ghosts of Mars and Anaconda in May. Seems they’ve been getting a lot of the same catalogue as Indicator/Powerhouse.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Mill Creek releasing Eyes of Laura Mars plus reissues of Ghosts of Mars and Anaconda in May. Seems they’ve been getting a lot of the same catalogue as Indicator/Powerhouse.

Indicator's are absolutely worth importing between being region free* and being A+ releases.

So far, I have William Castle at Columbia Vol. 1, The Wild One, The Front, The Last Detail, The Lady from Shanghai, The Passenger, 5000 Fingers of Dr. T, and Age of Consent. I've been on the fence about Castle Vol. 2 since I really only want Strait-Jacket (though, The Old Dark House looks interesting). Also wouldn't mind getting the Sam Fuller set, Modern Romance, and The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (better than Twilight Time's OOP edition).

*Almost all the Columbia/Sony titles are region-free, but not the Universal and Fox ones.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 26, 2019

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Egbert Souse posted:

Indicator's are absolutely worth importing between being region free* and being A+ releases.

So far, I have William Castle at Columbia Vol. 1, The Wild One, The Front, The Last Detail, The Lady from Shanghai, The Passenger, 5000 Fingers of Dr. T, and Age of Consent. I've been on the fence about Castle Vol. 2 since I really only want Strait-Jacket (though, The Old Dark House looks interesting). Also wouldn't mind getting the Sam Fuller set, Modern Romance, and The St. Valentine's Day Massacre (better than Twilight Time's OOP edition).

*Almost all the Columbia/Sony titles are region-free, but not the Universal and Fox ones.

Oh yeah, I’m not saying go out and pre order these, but it’s way more convenient for some people. Hopefully they use the same transfers and drop the special features and price. Speaking of Indicator, I need to pick up that Sinbad trilogy someday. Maybe once I get my tax return...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How come Amazon doesn't have a page that lists all 4K UHD movies they got. The page for UHD pulls up a page with information, but clicking the link with list of movies always gives you the generic "three for 40" sale that been going for ages.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

How come Amazon doesn't have a page that lists all 4K UHD movies they got. The page for UHD pulls up a page with information, but clicking the link with list of movies always gives you the generic "three for 40" sale that been going for ages.

Amazon blows for just casual browsing. Better to look at other sites and then go to Amazon when you have a specific idea of what you want to search for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Amazon blows for just casual browsing. Better to look at other sites and then go to Amazon when you have a specific idea of what you want to search for.

I haven't ordered a 4k from Amazon yet, but if it's like the Blus, you'll usually end up at the DVD page first and have to select the Blu from that page, I can't imagine it's much different for 4k.

I feel like their movie selections are purposely obfuscated to convince you to subscribe to Amazon Prime, because the streaming selections are the easiest to find.