Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Coco13 posted:

A long time ago, Chidi and Eleanor used to be more than just friends, but he hasn't thought of her lately at all.

You better have typed this with the original mix from the first two seasons in mind. gently caress that remix from season 3.

(Also taking it back to the Prisoner reference, that episode of The Prisoner that's just an episode of Danger Man very clumsily shoehorned into a different show may be the most bizarre thing in the series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Coco13 posted:

A long time ago, Chidi and Eleanor used to be more than just friends, but he hasn't thought of her lately at all.

Is that too long for a S4 thread title?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

InsertPotPun posted:

Russian Doll:

I had no idea the thing on the bathroom door was significant and not just another decoration. But it was? Maybe give me a clue using music or dialog or cinematography?

It wasn't, though? I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that didn't matter. It just disappears when other stuff is disappearing.

I find the Chidi/Alan comparisons to be... superficial.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Superrodan posted:

It wasn't, though? I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

Probably how it was one of her pet theories about what was causing their problems. "There's a black hole on the door" or whatever it was.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ishamael posted:

You watched a puzzle box miniseries and started at the end? wtf
Seriously. Especially with this one where they are tricking you with repetition so you don't notice the changes iteration by iteration and then the little things you saw but didn't notice become obvious...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ok I finished Russian Doll, and want to talk about it with others. I can’t find a thread so I’m going to make one.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Ishamael posted:

You watched a puzzle box miniseries and started at the end? wtf

its actually the superior way of enjoying things

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2011/aug/17/spoilers-enhance-enjoyment-psychologists

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

The_Doctor posted:

Ok I finished Russian Doll, and want to talk about it with others. I can’t find a thread so I’m going to make one.
Wow. I literally just finished it 20 seconds ago and I came here to read the spoilers I had to skip a few days ago. Please make the thread!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

It's not and that study had a few major issues, including not using any works people cared about experiencing before the study

turns out people don't care about being spoiled on things they didn't know existed before they were told to read it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The_Doctor posted:

Hell yeah.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Quick and dirty OP here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883055

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

flatluigi posted:

It's not and that study had a few major issues, including not using any works people cared about experiencing before the study

turns out people don't care about being spoiled on things they didn't know existed before they were told to read it

How can you care about a work that you haven't engaged with yet?

"What is Russian Doll? I'll watch the last episode first" is exactly what the study examines.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Goffer posted:

How can you care about a work that you haven't engaged with yet?

"What is Russian Doll? I'll watch the last episode first" is exactly what the study examines.

the study examines whether people are more interested in a work they've never heard of if they're told what it's about first (i.e. if they're told why it's interesting they tend to rate it slightly more interesting)

the study does not examine whether "people actually like things better if they're spoiled on it beforehand" as the article frames it as and a hell of a lot of people think the study did (and your post calling it the "superior way to experience things" made me think you were saying that)

edit: like, apologies if I'm going off kind of out of nowhere but I've had people people pull that poo poo on me more than once and go 'no you shouldn't be upset at me, you're :actually: going to like it more now! stop being upset I'm helping :)'

including once when I was legit sitting down to watch the last few episodes of a show I was really enjoying

it's a pet peeve

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i feel like we all kind of blew past the guy saying he didn't deliberately jump into the last episode, and just saw his partner watching it and didn't fuckin bird box himself

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i feel like we all kind of blew past the guy saying he didn't deliberately jump into the last episode, and just saw his partner watching it and didn't fuckin bird box himself

Me, yeah.

And I stand by my stance of "if spoiling something makes me more likely than 0% to watch something, then it's not like NOT spoiling myself would actually be better in any measurable way".

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I mean giving someone the choice whether or not they want something to be spoiled, and abiding by that person's choice seems like basic "don't be a dick" behavior to me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

hangedman1984 posted:

I mean giving someone the choice whether or not they want something to be spoiled, and abiding by that person's choice seems like basic "don't be a dick" behavior to me.

you'd think it'd be that simple for everyone, yeah

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

hangedman1984 posted:

Seems reasonable to me.

On the other hand, these very forums the day that harry potter book 6 was released. :shrug:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

silvergoose posted:

Seems reasonable to me.

On the other hand, these very forums the day that harry potter book 6 was released. :shrug:

SA used to be way more dickish than it is these days

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No no, mass spoiling of strangers is always funny

Personal spoiling of people you know is mean

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

SA used to be way more dickish than it is these days

yeah, that book came out fourteen years ago holy gently caress do i feel old

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

silvergoose posted:

Seems reasonable to me.

These forums never pretended they were doing people a favour and enhancing their enjoyment of the book though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

kumba posted:

yeah, that book came out fourteen years ago holy gently caress do i feel old

I remember it to this day. It was the first Harry Potter book that came out after I started reading the series. I got up at 5am to go wait in a line at borders that wrapped around the block; got home around 10am to start reading it; and had it finished by dinner time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just watched the entire season in a couple of days.

Very good season, still one of my favorite shows, but felt like it's missing something. S1 had a great setup, mystery, and worldbuilding and one of the best season finales ever, S2 upended everyone's expectations by stuffing the entire twist into like the first 2 episodes and throwing the whole thing on its head.

S3 had some very good episodes and jokes but the whole memory wipe thing and having the gang get together... again? I dunno. Also the politics stuff near the end of the season felt a lot more clumsy than the satire of parks & rec.

It's still one of the best shows I have ever seen so far!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Marathoned S1 and E06 reminds me of S3's ending with it's claw machine dialog

Michael: I didn't even want that thing. Why am I trying to win it?
Eleanor: Because the machine says it's a prize.

Way to let the system get ya, Eleanor

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
No more BORTLES!!!

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/1105210358950555648

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

oooh, this is the bad place

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

double nine posted:

oooh, this is the bad place

Edit: S4 Jason will be...interesting since Bortles is going Free Agent.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 12, 2019

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

best we can tell, Jason hasn't gotten any jags updates since dying. Bortles will always be the starting qb in Jason's mind :unsmith:

Though Donkey Doug is probably happy to have Big Dick Nick in a jags unifor.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

best we can tell, Jason hasn't gotten any jags updates since dying.

However, he has been assured that they will never win the Super Bowl

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bee tee dubs, if people don't know, the owner of the Jaguars is starting a pro-wrestling promotion, if you didn't think Jacksoville could get any more perfect as Jason's home city.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gaz-L posted:

Bee tee dubs, if people don't know, the owner of the Jaguars is starting a pro-wrestling promotion, if you didn't think Jacksoville could get any more perfect as Jason's home city.

I'm betting Jason would have been in one already. You know, out back of his high school with a ring made out of rusted out Civic's and a trampoline with a hole in the middle that was donated by the most successful student to ever attend that school, who I'm sure is named something like "Peppy George" or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, but its theoretically shaping up to be the most ethically, progressive, and labor friendly one around. Which is weird for the vibe.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

seaborgium posted:

I'm betting Jason would have been in one already. You know, out back of his high school with a ring made out of rusted out Civic's and a trampoline with a hole in the middle that was donated by the most successful student to ever attend that school, who I'm sure is named something like "Peppy George" or something.

Jason would have been one of those backyard wrestling idiots from the late 90's/early 2000's that were jumping off roofs into their homemade backyard ring and hitting each other with barbed wire bats with no idea how to do it any sort of safely.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Your Taint posted:

Jason would have been one of those backyard wrestling idiots from the late 90's/early 2000's that were jumping off roofs into their homemade backyard ring and hitting each other with barbed wire bats with no idea how to do it any sort of safely.

I only say professional as most likely the winner would have gotten a gift certificate to the Wing Dump or something, he definitely seems like the kind of guy to do that poo poo.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Gaz-L posted:

How do I blackmail Mike Schur into getting Kenny Omega on this show

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

inthesto posted:

How do I blackmail Mike Schur into getting Kenny Omega on this show

Give Manny some highlights and pretend he's Kota Ibushi.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1107792206675402753

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh no poor Jason