Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

xsf421 posted:

Yeah, she was one of the people recommending this place, they did her car, and at least two others in the facebook group.

what shop is that out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

They don't seem to have a website, but Stony Creek Collision in Ypsilanti.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/stony-creek-collision-ypsilanti

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Picked up a 2018 Elantra GT Sport with the tech package about a month ago. Lovely car, just hot enough without being punishing and adaptive cruise control is awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

xsf421 posted:

They don't seem to have a website, but Stony Creek Collision in Ypsilanti.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/stony-creek-collision-ypsilanti

right down the road from me, now i know where to take the stupid m5 when it inevitably gets crunched

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

latinotwink1997 posted:

My 2012 GTI seems to be slipping the clutch. It only has 90,000 miles and I’m not the clutch popping type, though idk about the previous owner (first 50,000 miles). Anyone else seen this? I had a mazda3 last to 200k miles without needing to replace the clutch, so this seems wrong.

Got it into the shop today. Confirmed clutch. There goes my tax refund.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Why do the prerelease cars tend to have the wacky paintjobs/wraps? Is there a specific reason for it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dazzle camo? It's supposed to make it harder to see the shape/body lines.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Why do the prerelease cars tend to have the wacky paintjobs/wraps? Is there a specific reason for it?

Used to be to disguise the shape but anymore it's just tradition and attention whoring. I expect they're going to start selling ads on them like NASCAR at some point.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Thanks for the info, I figured it was likely something along those lines.

GTI Buds:

Can you post a pic of your stock shift knob (DSG)? I had mine replaced when the metal trim around the stick started flaking and getting sharp and the new one they tossed on feels "off" to me. The trigger seems like it has twice as much "throw" as it did before and feels like it's sticking out something awful. The guy before me had done a couple of things to the car, so it's possible that he messed with it, but it appeared to be stock before.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

2017 that hasn't been cleaned out in a while:

^little white spot has been there since I can remember, I didn't notice it when I first bought it though and :effort: to get it replaced.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man do I love the pattern on those seats.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I wonder how cheap/reliable the veloster N is going to be used in a few years, might be an extremely fun winter beater. Made by the same dude who did M cars a few years back and I've heard nothing but good things about the driving experience...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Honda is apparently planning to close the Swindon plant in 2022, I wonder what this bodes for the Civic Type R:

https://news.sky.com/story/honda-to-stun-ministers-with-closure-of-swindon-factory-11641154

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Brexit is a loving dumpster fire and companies are fleeing as fast as they can. I’m guessing Honda will either move production stateside or somewhere else in Japan.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

Dazzle camo? It's supposed to make it harder to see the shape/body lines.

Don't look at the car we are going to spend 100 million dollars promoting!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Midjack posted:

Honda is apparently planning to close the Swindon plant in 2022, I wonder what this bodes for the Civic Type R:

https://news.sky.com/story/honda-to-stun-ministers-with-closure-of-swindon-factory-11641154

There really is no reason they can't build the hatches at a different civic plant.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Installed the intake, short shifter and tune on my FiST on the weekend. The car is markedly more fun now, the tune really woke it up.

The induction noise is fine, but the sound of the recirc valve venting whenever I lift off the throttle a bit or shift is way too much with this intake. Hoping the DV+ will cut down on that and maybe get me a little bit of flutter... if not, might have to go vacuum-operated valve.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vrrrrrrr-Tssssshhhhhh. Vrrrrrrrrrrrr-Tssssssssshhhhh. Vvvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-Tsssssssshhhhhhhhhh.

How can you not love that?

I am 9 years old inside.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

So I was getting gas this morning and the fuel pump never stopped and overflowed my tank (gas flowing down the side of my car). Reading online, I may have just killed my charcoal canister. What else might have been damaged? This is a 2012 GTI and I seem to be having a rough time with it lately.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's possible, but not guaranteed that you damaged it. The people this usually happens to are the ones who sit there at the pump every time, clicking the lever over and over until it won't dispense anything.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Go hose off your car and live your life. If you hosed up, it will throw emissions codes. It's probably fine.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Turns out the Focus ST has airbags for your knees. Ask me how I know.

...God, I want another.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

How do you know?

Woof, sorry to see that bud. Insurance going to help you out there?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

RIP. I’m sure you know but it’s going to be totaled so start looking now. You’ll get ~3 days of rental once they deem it a total.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Brutal, drat. How'd it happen to ya?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Warbird posted:

How do you know?

Woof, sorry to see that bud. Insurance going to help you out there?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

RIP. I’m sure you know but it’s going to be totaled so start looking now. You’ll get ~3 days of rental once they deem it a total.

Yeah, insurance took care of it, I've already gotten a new car (but it had to be a replacement for the old forester we were going to replace next year), so I'm currently hot-hatch-less. Alas.

I'll probably pick up a new fun car near the end of the year, and I already miss my ST so much.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Brutal, drat. How'd it happen to ya?

Old lady on the phone, not paying attention, tailgated, and to avoid rear-ending the person stopping in front of her (she didn't) she decided to swerve. Across the centerline. Into oncoming traffic at 50. Which was me. At least she gave a statement to the police on the scene to that effect.

This is why I bought a dashcam!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve never understood the thought process of doubling the crash force.

Option A: slam the brakes and hit the car at x speed.
Option B: slam the brakes but also swerve into traffic and hit a car traveling at speed.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

SolusLunes posted:

Old lady on the phone, not paying attention, tailgated, and to avoid rear-ending the person stopping in front of her (she didn't) she decided to swerve. Across the centerline. Into oncoming traffic at 50. Which was me. At least she gave a statement to the police on the scene to that effect.

This is why I bought a dashcam!

Dashcams are cheap and unobtrusive enough that it's starting to seem like a good idea...

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Option B: slam the brakes but also swerve into traffic and hit a car traveling at speed.

I mean, she ended up picking both A and B as after she bounced off of me she rear-ended the person in front of her (and in so doing, made them rear-end the person in front of them)

The only person who got away scot-free was the person who originally slowed down to turn left.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Dashcams are cheap and unobtrusive enough that it's starting to seem like a good idea...

Yeah I've been in enough accidents (and almost screwed over once by an rear end in a top hat cop who tried to assign blame to me because the other person blew through a four way stop) that having a dashcam is essentially non-negotiable now. (for me, that is)

At least my insurance provider agreed with me when I pointed out that the other person had pushed a F-150 entirely out of an intersection by t-boning them. You don't do that from a stop at a four-way. You can't.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Fuckin' A. Glad you are ok. Hope you can find another :(

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Well, it’s more hoping they can avoid A and B but they don’t have time to check if B is a worse idea.

A is guaranteed hitting someone but B has a chance of no damage or extreme damage and everyone’s a gambler it seems.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

People don't really do things like "think critically" when the response time available is measured in milliseconds. Your reflexes take over and you hope they're good.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

latinotwink1997 posted:

Well, it’s more hoping they can avoid A and B but they don’t have time to check if B is a worse idea.

A is guaranteed hitting someone but B has a chance of no damage or extreme damage and everyone’s a gambler it seems.

Sometimes the person in B will move over and not smash you if you are lucky. Diving into the shoulder though is the proper move even if you get stuck.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Huge_Midget posted:

Brexit is a loving dumpster fire and companies are fleeing as fast as they can. I’m guessing Honda will either move production stateside or somewhere else in Japan.

It's absolute madness if you think about the fact that after Brexit, there'll be like 10% (?) tariff on cars built in the UK, whereas the tariffs for cars made in Japan will fall away in the coming years with the new FTA. It's not like any big Japanese car makers used the UK as a gateway into the European market *cough* *cough*

SolusLunes posted:

...God, I want another.

gently caress mate, hope you're alright. Hope you went to the doctor to get yourself checked out even if you didn't feel any immediate symptoms.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

gently caress mate, hope you're alright. Hope you went to the doctor to get yourself checked out even if you didn't feel any immediate symptoms.

The wife and I got carted to the ER in an ambulance, actually- they were very concerned about neck and spinal injuries. It was a 50mph head-on, even if it was only a glancing blow.

This was a few months ago and we're still not dead, which is positive! Basically we'll see what shakes out and if there's anything permanent, which is certainly possible.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

SolusLunes posted:

...God, I want another.

The only reason I settled on a fiesta instead of a focus was the side skirts making the ride height look lower than it really is, the wife didn't like the idea of such a low car since once every five years ive got to drive her through 6" of snow to get to work.

The knee airbags are such a good idea, I was honestly upset that the fiesta doesn't have them. How did they hold up for you? Any damage besides a bit of tenderness in the knee/Leg after the fact? I'm really glad you two are OK, though. poo poo is loving scary.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

SolusLunes posted:

...God, I want another.

You are one lucky dude, that's approaching the worst case scenario accident for cars designed at that time, what with the small overlap test not yet having been rolled out.

Better luck next car!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

SolusLunes posted:

we'll see what shakes out

Hopefully not your bones, or organs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

door still opens that is pretty rad performance