Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Eh, from Luther's perspective, she very nearly murdered Allison and murdered someone else. It wouldn't make character-sense for him to do nothing about that, even if his decision is wrong from a viewer's perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Maybe I didn't get it but I didn't think Russian Doll was very good. They hinted at some metaphysical stuff going on but nothing was really explained and the ending didn't really click for me. I also disliked the main character's mannerisms.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
People who liked it didn't care at all that it wasn't "explained". Like Groundhog Day.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I don't know who I am supposed to root for, to be honest, except maybe Jason. Everyone else is a complete shitwad of a human being.

Coach and Saracen, of course!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Jubs posted:

Just finished with episode two of Future Man on Hulu. I lost it when Josh was doing the Soulja Boy Dance at the party.

Oh man, you have a fantastic ride ahead of you.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And then a second, much more mediocre ride

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Umbrella academy, liked it but any idea what was going in the last episode's opening flashback?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ornithology posted:

Maybe I didn't get it but I didn't think Russian Doll was very good. They hinted at some metaphysical stuff going on but nothing was really explained and the ending didn't really click for me. I also disliked the main character's mannerisms.

I don't think you were supposed to like Nadia too much. Alan nails it when he says that she's one of the most selfish people in the world. Her saving that version of himself in the last episode was a huge step for the "real" her.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

And then a second, much more mediocre ride

I thought the first half of the second season was a bit slow, but it did pick up considerably.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Started Friday Night Lights. Anything I should know?

They play pretty fast and loose with how old and what grade people are in, just kind of go with it and also prepare to fall in love with Connie Britton.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Come on now, hey y'all... Somehow I never got tired of these in FNL

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

wormil posted:

I didn't know there was a US version.
edit; it's the AU version but the, 'lovable scoundrel with a heart of gold that only cares about himself but secretly cares about his friends except he doesn't because he's a sociopath and shits on them all the time,' are wearing thin with me. Maybe it's because I've also been watching House. Don't get me wrong, Rake is a well made show, better than House in many ways, but I'm having a hard time staying engaged because the character isn't giving me anything I haven't seen many times before.

My impression was that they leaned into the comic aspects of it more towards the end. The last season was almost Veep-like, to me, and I enjoyed it almost as much as the first. The rest of it, yeah, the whole "lovable scoundrel" thing really only worked because I thought Roxborough did a good job with the performance.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Friday Night Lights is great and I only recently realized that Tyra is now Cmdr Grayson on The Orville

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She was also in a terrible Wonder Woman show that didn't make it past the pilot. It's worth seeking out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think you were supposed to like Nadia too much. Alan nails it when he says that she's one of the most selfish people in the world. Her saving that version of himself in the last episode was a huge step for the "real" her.

Yeah, Nadia's a total rear end in a top hat and for a lot of the series its not even totally clear if her friends like her. But that's really the point of the story. Its not a scifi show. You're not there to find out the secrets to time travel and why things happen. Its a morality play about people learning to be be better, less selfish people.

Avalerion posted:

Umbrella academy, liked it but any idea what was going in the last episode's opening flashback?
I don't think we're supposed to really know the deal. The gist is that the father apparently had been in the future which is how he knew about the apocalypse, how he knew about time travel, and why he assembled the Academy and killed himself to bring them back together in the first place. Understanding it any more than that will probably require watching S2.

Lycus posted:

Eh, from Luther's perspective, she very nearly murdered Allison and murdered someone else. It wouldn't make character-sense for him to do nothing about that, even if his decision is wrong from a viewer's perspective.
Yeah. I didn't like Luther's decision but I understood it. He had reason to be concerned and want to protect people. I thought the show did a good job of showing that Luther wasn't doing it out of malice or disregard and the rest of the siblings were super unhappy about it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mu Zeta posted:

She was also in a terrible Wonder Woman show that didn't make it past the pilot. It's worth seeking out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lycus posted:

People who liked it didn't care at all that it wasn't "explained". Like Groundhog Day.

In Russian Doll Nadia spends more time exploring the reason for the loop (and the specific mechanics). It also ends in a much more ambiguous way than Groundhog Day.

I really liked it and didn't need more explanation than I got but I don't think it's exactly the same situation as Groundhog Day.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I don't know who I am supposed to root for, to be honest, except maybe Jason. Everyone else is a complete shitwad of a human being.

Characters you dislike will pobably grow on you. Most, even the ones you wouldn't expect, get their moments to shine. As a self-contained narrative season 1 is possibly my favorite single season of a TV show of all time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In Russian Doll Nadia spends more time exploring the reason for the loop (and the specific mechanics). It also ends in a much more ambiguous way than Groundhog Day.

I really liked it and didn't need more explanation than I got but I don't think it's exactly the same situation as Groundhog Day.

She wasn't really actively searching for explanations, though. She was just looking for the way out.

I think the easiest way to describe it is there's "Why is this happening?" and "How is this happening?" Nadia did ask "how?" for awhile but it all was all in the search of "Why?" Once she figured out the "Why?" the "How?" became moot. Some viewers might not have been able to let that go as easily but I think it was very tonally consistent.

Also I don't think it does end ambiguously. There's no explanation but at the end we clearly see the "fixed" Nadia and "fixed" Alan both end up in the same place somehow.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's not more ambiguous than Groundhog Day when it comes to the mechanics. If it's more ambiguous as to the characters' lives, it's because it's not the end of the story.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it should have been the end of the story. It felt like the end of the story for me. I'm not actually interested in what happens next.

I think the show created a visual cue to the audience that I'm not sure if everyone picked up on, or at least didn't read the same way I did. "Fixed" Nadia in her timeline has Maxine throw a drink at her, ruin her shirt, and is wearing the different frilly shirt. "Fixed" Alan had Leslie's girlfriend give him the scarf. At the very end when the two timelines are running parallel and walking into the parade both timeline's Nadias pass a third Nadia walking with the parade. Then the last shot is frilly shirt Nadia and scarf Alan both walking with the parade, apparently back on the same timeline. To me it seemed clear that entire thing was done specifically for that end cue resolution.

I have no idea HOW it happened but its as clear as a "Happily Ever After" as I can imagine for the particular tone of the show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

STAC Goat posted:

I think the show created a visual cue to the audience that I'm not sure if everyone picked up on, or at least didn't read the same way I did. "Fixed" Nadia in her timeline has Maxine throw a drink at her, ruin her shirt, and is wearing the different frilly shirt. "Fixed" Alan had Leslie's girlfriend give him the scarf. At the very end when the two timelines are running parallel and walking into the parade both timeline's Nadias pass a third Nadia walking with the parade. Then the last shot is frilly shirt Nadia and scarf Alan both walking with the parade, apparently back on the same timeline. To me it seemed clear that entire thing was done specifically for that end cue resolution.

I have no idea HOW it happened but its as clear as a "Happily Ever After" as I can imagine for the particular tone of the show.

Agreed. For reference (Ending Spoilers): Before and After

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Can someone who's watched Hannibal explain The Black Deer imagery associated with Hannibal? The protagonist never seems to mention it to anyone and I'm curious as to what it means. I'm only up to season 2 but I'm not sure it was every explained.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
You can see the time loop machinery in not everything needs to be explained you dumb baby

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

TV Zombie posted:

Can someone who's watched Hannibal explain The Black Deer imagery associated with Hannibal? The protagonist never seems to mention it to anyone and I'm curious as to what it means. I'm only up to season 2 but I'm not sure it was every explained.

My interpretation is that the stag is the representative of hunting and game. Hannibal is like the alpha predator the way he treats his human victims. He has no problems butchering and eating his victims and he treats them like little more than meat. From what I've seen the stag is always portrayed in media as something majestic and powerful. In the show Vikings a guy sees a stag on the battlefield and sees it as a sign that they are going to win the battle and are blessed by God. The stag is Harry Potter's spirit animal.

I also think Will Graham is hosed in the head because of how empathetic he can be with killers. He's basically one step away from being a killer himself. I have to think that him seeing the stag imagery is connected to his psyche and how he wants to view himself as an alpha hunter as well. His love of dogs and how he has a bunch of them plays into that probably. He's the head of the pack, etc.

I don't recall it being explicitly explained in the show.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 24, 2019

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TV Zombie posted:

I believe the explanation is that Bryan Fuller thought it looked neat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

My interpretation is that the stag is the representative of hunting and game. Hannibal is like the alpha predator the way he treats his human victims. He has no problems butchering and eating his victims and he treats them like little more than meat. From what I've seen the stag is always portrayed in media as something majestic and powerful. In the show Vikings a guy sees a stag on the battlefield and sees it as a sign that they are going to win the battle and are blessed by God. The stag is Harry Potter's spirit animal.

I also think Will Graham is hosed in the head because of how empathetic he can be with killers. He's basically one step away from being a killer himself. I have to think that him seeing the stag imagery is connected to his psyche and how he wants to view himself as an alpha hunter as well. His love of dogs and how he has a bunch of them plays into that probably. He's the head of the pack, etc.

I think this is basically it. Will is the deer, the king of the forrest, but his connection to the show's various murderers -- and his metaphorical consumption/digestion of them -- have turned his Stag into a Wendigo, a maneater.

You can see the escalation of some of the other elements -- the strength of the shows various killers largely correlate with their position within the foodchain. The most disposable villains exist as inert elements (eggs, mushrooms, roadkill), arc killers turn up as staple foods (dos, pigs, eels) and a handful of mythological creatures are connected with significant figures (a wendigo, a dragon, and an artificial werewolf.).

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Your Gay Uncle posted:

They play pretty fast and loose with how old and what grade people are in, just kind of go with it and also prepare to fall in love with Connie Britton.

I'm sure they do, but if you assume Riggins, Smash and Matt are sophomores in season 1 maybe it makes sense? Smash might even have been a JR. but I doubt it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mu Zeta posted:

Trig Discipline posted:

I believe the explanation is that Bryan Fuller thought it looked neat.

These are both the correct interpretation

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I had a dream that I binged Seasons 2 and 3 of Fortitude but it turns out that they never made seasons 2 and 3 so they weren't complete poo poo. Just one solid season of television .

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Breezed through all of The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell in one sitting, and aside from having a massive new crush, it's also easily the most original and unique genre show I've seen in a very long time and I need more of it immediately.

I also watched all of Happy! and it's delightfully weird, hilarious, and horrifying all at once.

Been holding off on Punisher S2 until I get around to finishing DDS3, how is it?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I watched "Happy!". It was good outside of some really stupid moments and the general "O THE EDGE" tone of it. Also the show doesn't need a second season. The ending seemed pretty conclusive to me.

Outside of Blue getting the password.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 25, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also the show doesn't need a second season. The ending seemed pretty conclusive to me.

I disagree, but mostly because the new status quo they set up at the end of the season is potentially pretty great.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Umbrella Academy will not make my year end list or anything, but I've enjoyed it more than any of the Marvel stuff on Netflix I've watched (I still need to watch The Punisher).

Trig Discipline posted:

I thought the first half of the second season was a bit slow, but it did pick up considerably.

I watched the first 2 episodes of season 2 when it was first released, and for some reason I have felt no real desire to go back. Shame because I loved (like funniest show in years love) season 1. Sooner or later I will try season 2 again. Still how did they get the start of season 2 so wrong after getting all of season 1 so right?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've been watching The Practice, a less po-faced, more slick take on the legal side of Law and Order, and it's probably more accurate to the profession (for a very loose value of accurate) than Law and Order as well. The first season is only six episodes, and it carries forward something of significance from each episode to the next. As much as "modern" TV is about plotlines running over an entire season, I'm beginning to wonder how much memory is playing tricks on me as remembering all TV of that time as highly episodic. The second season is very much episodic, and it's the soap opera character drama that's serialised, but even then there's more continuance than my memory would have given it credit for.

The Practice is definitely making me feel that there's a gap in television not being filled by current production. Sure, there's extremely high quality TV of serialised meaningful shows, and mindless entertainment where you don't need to know or remember much of anything about it, but there seems to be little mindless quality shows outside of comedy. The kind that is made well, acted well and written well, but is the equivalent of indulgent comfort food.

I'm sure I'm wrong on this, and there is plenty of shows kind of like that, so some examples to watch sure would be nice.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Sticking with David E Kelley, Boston Legal, which was a spin-off from The Practice, would be an obvious choice. I didn't watch much The Practice, but loved Boston Legal at the time. Spader and Shatner were a great double act and anything involving either of them in the courtoom was usually great. That said I think some of it, notably Shatner's characters attitude towards women, will have aged really poorly to the extent where it might be difficult to watch now. Notable that David E Kelley started on LA Law which was a Steve Bochco joint and outside of straight-up prime time soap operas (Dallas, Dynasty etc) Bochco's Hill Street Blues was probably one of the pioneers of this kind of semi-serialised procedurals (via St Elsewhere, LA Law, Homicide and a few others).

In terms of slightly more recent lightly serialised, but well made, comfort food TV some of the USA network "Characters Welcome" stuff might fit the bill: Monk, Psych, Burn Notice, Suits etc depending what genres you like.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Blazed through Pen15 on Hulu in two nights. I was expecting a ham-fisted year 2000 nostalgia-fest, but it mostly keeps that to a minimum while highlighting the key aspects of the middle school experience specific to the period, such as AIM. I was not expecting to get so invested in the characters. The two leads are pretty great in their roles as their 13 year old selves and it works way better than you'd expect it to. I don't think I've seen something capture the state of mind of middle schoolers this accurately before. I was also in middle school at the same time as the characters so it really hit home for me and was nice and comforting.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

punk rebel ecks posted:

I watched "Happy!". It was good outside of some really stupid moments and the general "O THE EDGE" tone of it. Also the show doesn't need a second season. The ending seemed pretty conclusive to me.

On the one hand I feel like the first season was more of an introduction to the world and the characters, and the real story can now start, but on the other I would have liked it to end there because I'm afraid it'll just turn formulaic and procedural from here on out.

I was pleasantly surprised at how this show was able to breathe some genuine originality in a cliché genre, without showing the effort it must have taken to do that. Some of the characters were nuanced enough to make the storyline somewhat unpredictable and the main character had some actually funny lines. Definitely makes for an entertaining afternoon.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Meatgrinder posted:

On the one hand I feel like the first season was more of an introduction to the world and the characters, and the real story can now start, but on the other I would have liked it to end there because I'm afraid it'll just turn formulaic and procedural from here on out.

I was pleasantly surprised at how this show was able to breathe some genuine originality in a cliché genre, without showing the effort it must have taken to do that. Some of the characters were nuanced enough to make the storyline somewhat unpredictable and the main character had some actually funny lines. Definitely makes for an entertaining afternoon.

Happy! being good is a lot more explicable when you realize the showrunner is Brian Taylor, of Crank fame

It really does kind of feel like what a hypothetical Crank 3 would have been, just 10 hours long and with a CGI Patton Oswalt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Just went through Umbrella Academy, and I liked it! Just dumb and goofy enough to be entertaining, good music, and a pretty solid story.