Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kitfox88 posted:

why didn't the distortion world folk just migrate to the real world once they could? if living in the distortion world for ages hosed them up wouldn't living in the real world unfuck them up over time? :thunk:

As much as i hate to be that guy (I'm going to be that guy)

You're reading too much into it this time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

They have to stay there now. We can never take Mega Satan away from their new friends.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

"What the gently caress just happened? Where the gently caress am I? Who the gently caress are you guys? Why the gently caress are you a pumpkin?!?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Someone should edit the Hellboy short where Hellboy has waffles for the first time so its Giratina eating the waffles and the energy people lamenting losing him.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Why not use Nathan as a lead and set Livewire? It would probably have been a big help.

That said, yeeeesh. Can we be done with Protean Greninjas?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, apparently they can’t breed (per Bulbapedia), so that should sort itself out sooner or later. :v:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Regalingualius posted:

Well, apparently they can’t breed (per Bulbapedia), so that should sort itself out sooner or later. :v:

Greninja? That's the battle bond version. Protean can breed for days.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...Oh.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
That loving Inverse battle, holy crap. Thank GOD (Arceus?) for Badly Poisoned status and enemy life orbs for death.

Also, I'm probably in the minority here, but I kinda like the look of Insurgence's "Primal" Giratina, just feels right to give it a half-way form between "Regular" and "Origin" forms and mix the two forms together. gently caress that ability though, holy crap that's Game Breaker territory right there with those artificial resistances.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Kemix posted:

That loving Inverse battle, holy crap. Thank GOD (Arceus?) for Badly Poisoned status and enemy life orbs for death.

Also, I'm probably in the minority here, but I kinda like the look of Insurgence's "Primal" Giratina, just feels right to give it a half-way form between "Regular" and "Origin" forms and mix the two forms together. gently caress that ability though, holy crap that's Game Breaker territory right there with those artificial resistances.

I may or may not have used it.
There is no pride here, only joy.

(Also yeah, I love the design.)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

iospace posted:

As much as i hate to be that guy (I'm going to be that guy)

You're reading too much into it this time :v:

i will never stop reading into it

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Too bad Giratina wasn't under inverse rules, then Rock would be its only resistance...

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The Golux posted:

Too bad Giratina wasn't under inverse rules, then Rock would be its only resistance...

I think, thematically, it'd be better if Omnitype was inverted like that, but you fought it in a Inverse Battle. If it had won against Arceus, it would be a unstoppable god-monster. Here, it is a joke.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back. You might notice that we've got a Magnezone following us now.

After the unmitigated disaster that was the Nyx battle, I spent about 3 off-camera hours grinding up replacements for four different teammates. Dracolich, NATHAN, Gateau, and Beeisel have all been retired into the Hall of Heroes. In their place we respectively have Flamenco, Generator, Cirno, and Snorflax.

Cirno, I should add, is a new addition to the team. Noel is still retired, though not for lack of trying on my part. I wanted to do what everyone told me way back after the third badge and use Debug Mode to put Moonblast on him. The method I had used to test it in the past, a Cheat Engine script, no longer works for reasons I can only guess at. So instead I had to go grab another Delta Misdreavus from the game corner and train her up.

I'll show off the new team in detail in the next update. Victory Road, despite how long and tedious it is, is still just another route at the end of the day.

These two guys don't care how we got the last badge, and let us past with no questions asked.

Nexa Border is a short liminal route.

Most of it is made up of water.

Nexa Town is the last stop before Victory Road. It's so small that I don't even need to show a map because you're looking at fully half of the town in this screenshot.

the Elite Four...

This is the last move tutor we'll find before the postgame. He teaches fighting-type moves.

He knows a lot of really nice moves! I'm extremely happy with Drain Punch on Centaurion or I'd take advantage of this. If I'd thought about it at the time, I'd have taught someone either Fire Punch or Blaze Kick. The current team has an unfortunate dearth of fire moves.

Vesryn needed to cut back on the opulence.

London.

By the way there's a theme in this update. See if you can guess what it is.

We'll be using this.

Nexa Town is seriously two houses and a pokecenter.

promise you, it is a nightmare.

This is still just the preamble to Victory Road. It doesn't start until we enter the cave up ahead.

:confused: It's just a linear gauntlet of trainers.

Here we go!

The exit is pretty much straight ahead, but we have to take the long, long way around.

Keep thinking about what Victory Road's theme could be.

No use in playing dumb about it anymore. Every trainer on Victory Road is an rear end in a top hat. They all say variants on "You can't do it." "Just give up now you failure." "Hey everyone look at this abject failure." As far as gimmicks go, the joke gets run into the ground before we get out of the volcanic section, and then it continues for two more maps.

This is pretty funny, though.

Down to the lower level...

We can't pick up that TM for a little bit. Just keep it in mind.

I'm keeping quiet about these trainers because there's not much to say, and nobody really wants to read annoyed eye-rolling, but in text form.

We're back on the first map, over in the bottom left corner.

things you've accomplished thus far.

This feels like he's quoting song lyrics.

Nice.

Shortly after picking that up, I used a Max Repel. Suddenly Victory Road is a lot less onerous to travel through.

Hell yeah!

feel?

they'd be the tired ones.

Trying really hard to not say anything, but the constant negativity is annoying me.

We're nearly done with the volcanic section.

Straight up from the ladder is a door.

Delta Petilil and Delta Lilligant are Water/Fire type. Its abilities are Storm Drain (Draws in all Water-type moves to boost its Sp. Atk stat), Flash Fire (Powers up the Pokemon's Fire-type moves if it's hit by one), and Regenerator (Hidden; Restores a little HP when withdrawn from battle).

It very, very nearly was going to be the 6th member of the team, but I eventually decided against it.

you!

At least there's some nice trainers here.

go.

Like I said, it's full of assholes.

:sigh:

:shepicide:

That lady wasn't lying. There's two different sliding ice puzzles.

I just followed the instructions on the wiki because gently caress that noise.

This endless "you're worthless" is such a jarring tonal shift from the entire loving rest of the game. It actually feels like a gimmick from Reborn got imported into this game.

At least we finally have this.

This is the harder sliding ice puzzle. I don't know why the developers felt the need to include it. Even better, sometime in the postgame, Kyurem can be found in this cave. Nothing like having to trek through this shithole multiple times.

At least we're more than halfway done.

your commitments, right?

It's almost like they wanted to recreate the idea of Hell Week. Except it's just three straight routes full of jackasses with none of the support that comes when you reach the final leg.

Regice is behind that wall.

You know the magikarp-only fisherman in every game? Well this guy is what they turn into. He has three Gyarados.

No puzzle here, just gotta slide across.

There's a shitload of trainers on this route, but the end is in sight!

My friend you are out of place on Victory Road. Please don't let them corrupt you too!

Virizion can be found on top of that rock climb wall in the background.

What is it with old men in this game and hanging out in the mountains in their socks?

Everyone on this route is astounded that we're beating them apparently.

Because challenging the Elite Four isn't a zero-sum thing. Any number of people can do it.

:psyduck: I seriously don't get it. Why do they think endless negativity will stop anyone?

Nothing was stopping him from reaching the Pokemon League. He was the last trainer on Victory Road.

At least we're done with it. What a godawful gimimck for an area.

Hahahahaaaaa no.

Roar or Haze are both really good ideas. You can probably guess why. If not, you'll find out next time!

a challenge.

all, I'll give you a special prize.

It's a red Gardevoir. If you use it in a battle, its colors permanently revert to normal.

like a pushover!

The old man there will let us tackle the Elite Four. We'll do that...

NEXT TIME: The Elite Four

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
...The only possible explanation for this gimmick I can come up with is that someone ran into the toxic side of the competitive and got really upset?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

thank you for more deltas

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Miss posted:

thank you for more deltas

You know, for as much as I've been complaining about the game in the past several updates, one thing they consistently got right was the design of various deltas.

The sheer number of deltas is something I'm looking forward to showing off in the postgame. I swear more than half of the deltas in the game are contained in the six-seven routes that make up a postgame area.

Also these two are wonderful!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Considering NPCs have explicitly stated that there has been no E4 challengers since the First Augur went MIA, what have all those Victory Road trainers been doing all this time?

Have they just been treating this like an extended vacation and are pissed we're finally making them work?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Fifty trainers named after gods, and then ... Nathan. Aight. (Google tells me he's a Biblical prophet so I guess that's the connection...?)

Also yeah, the Delta designs are almost enough to make me want to play this game. Almost.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So I started playing this for some reason (the deltas look really fun.) Good god this game absolutely loves its PP wasting. It seems like 2/3 of the pokemon I fight have protect or sand attack. I'm finally far enough in that I don't have to run back and heal after every other trainer fight at least.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assume most of them are there on behalf of a cult to protect the e4 or champ and can't understand why their godlet isn't making you lose.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure when we moved into Reborn but I'm not happy with it. The only good trainer here is the miscalculation one because he actually fits the mood the game had in its less important sections until now.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
This would be less jarring if it didn’t come after you had literally saved the universe.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The only thing worse than trainers who are assholes to you at the start are ones that are assholes to you after you wipe the floor with them.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Yeah, this entire area was really tonally jarring compared to the rest. I just used Surf to bypass all the trainers on the last part, because gently caress it, I had enough money and they weren't worth enough experience compared to Audino trainer to put up with their bullshit.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

What the gently caress is the game's problem suddenly? :catstare: Jesus Christ. That tone whiplash is so bad I'm getting calls from injury compensation lawyers. It's so completely at odds with literally everything else in the entire game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I forgot to mention it in the update, but Victory Road - Ice is the only place you can evolve an Eevee to a Glaceon.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

I feel like there was a missed opportunity here...

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Oh come on, the throwaway trainers being silly was one of the things I could give the game credit for and now it's all about the edge. Ugh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If the plot wasn't over, I'd think this whole thing was building up to something.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoubleNegative posted:

I forgot to mention it in the update, but Victory Road - Ice is the only place you can evolve an Eevee to a Glaceon.

Sun and Moon had this exact same issue, with both the ice area and the magnetic area. Ice was on Victory Road on the third island and behind all the trials and the main plot, and Magnetic was deep into the game on the last island you unlock. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon fixed this by having both on the third island, but more accessible: the entry to Victory Road (the part you can access before you have all the trials done) is considered an ice zone, and the power plant is considered a magnetic zone.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 25, 2019

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

David Corbett posted:

This would be less jarring if it didn’t come after you had literally saved the universe.

I mean, to be completely fair, it's borderline impossible they'd know that. They've apparently been sitting in place staring at the entrance to the Elite Four for years.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm really disappointed that the game made the victory road trainers like this. I genuinely thought that the devs wouldn't do this kind of edgy bullshit but he we are.

That there are some nice trainers scattered just makes it worse, IMO.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

kw0134 posted:

Oh come on, the throwaway trainers being silly was one of the things I could give the game credit for and now it's all about the edge. Ugh.

One area does not automatically mean every other regular trainer is no longer going to be silly. Nor does it mean that every one that came before has been instantly negated.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, honestly, if anything this feels like an anomaly and some sort of play on the perceived stereotype of what highly competitive Pokemon battlers are "like".

(Which isn't to say that there aren't highly competitive battlers that are massive tools like this, but IME they're a minority.)

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I too would be a negative nancy if I had to deal with huge ice puzzles. That and maybe the lack of challengers for a whole year can make you jaded/toxic?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
A bit late, but I hope that Nyx's excuse was along the lines of all their people being turned to antimatter as well as the distortion world, so just staying in the regular world would cause them to violently explode after a while. Because if not, there is nothing to imply she couldn't have just, you know, asked the people of the regular world if her people could immigrate. Its the Pokemon world. aside from a few assholes most people and Pokemon would probably flock to help make a new home for them. But no, she probably got fixated on revenge, so it was either punish the normal world people (who didn't know about all this since it happened probably thousands of years ago) or bust.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
The devs were probably trying to take the piss on people with that attitude given that it was called out by NPCs multiple times and you walk over them literally after saving the universe, but the gimmick goes on for too long and there's not enough payoff for putting up with it. A few sympathetic NPCs scattered around don't really help.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Jesus gently caress, what the hell Victory Road? It wouldn't surprise me if the E4 was paying all those morons to stand there and act like complete dicks to anyone daring to try and challenge them. Hell, I'm sure being an E4 member pays extreme dividends when you're just sitting around waiting for a challenger that will never appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
I actually found it kind of funny. Yeah, it's really jarring at first, but for me the negativity is so over the top and out of place that it loops right back around into amusing.
They're just trying so hard to be edgy, bless them.