Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Stryder posted:

Hollis, just out of curiosity, what state do you live in?

hollis and i live together in a cave where we watch horror movies on VHS and cuddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Hellraiser Judgement and them being straight up demons from hell meshes fine with the rest of the movies if you look at the dynamic of Judgement's opening scene. The cenobites WERE explores of the edge of experience angels to some/demons to others etc., but the intro is like Pinhead's first day on new job, he has a personal administrative cenobite guy that fills him in on how it works and everything.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Hellraiser Judgement and them being straight up demons from hell meshes fine with the rest of the movies if you look at the dynamic of Judgement's opening scene. The cenobites WERE explores of the edge of experience angels to some/demons to others etc., but the intro is like Pinhead's first day on new job, he has a personal administrative cenobite guy that fills him in on how it works and everything.

Now all I want the next Hellraiser to be is a Cenobite performance review:

"You've blown past your Flaying numbers for the month, and that's great. But where we'd like to see some improvements is in your Genital Inversions, because those are way down compared to last quarter. You're doing a good job overall, but we want to see you rely less on the hooks and chains, okay? If you can bring those numbers to where we'd like them to be, I think we can start thinking about moving you up to Eyeball Bursting full-time."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Witch is coming to UHD in April. Seemed appropriate to mention it given the thread title change.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
"Jenny, could you send in the Boxer next."

"Ok Mr. Boxer, we are a little concerned you are bending the rules to meet your quota. I see on your last H-377 report that you took a soul because *squints* 'his punches unlocked the lament configuration.'"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Did you watch my rec from the other day?!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m glad to have added “genital inversions” to the horror thread’s lingo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

I’m glad to have added “genital inversions” to the horror thread’s lingo.

...we talking about the Ring again or

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Did you watch my rec from the other day?!

What was it again???? I'm sick as a dog so Ill watch it today.

Also the new thread title is insanely lame and uncreative.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

What was it again???? I'm sick as a dog so Ill watch it today.

Also the new thread title is insanely lame and uncreative.

Disconnected (1984)

Its very low budget, weird, and stars Frances Raines from the Mutilator

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

Disconnected (1984)

Its very low budget, weird, and stars Frances Raines from the Mutilator

Will watch this today and report back. You never let me down tho so I'm sure it'll be good plus you know my taste. Love you <3

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Will watch this today and report back. You never let me down tho so I'm sure it'll be good plus you know my taste. Love you <3

:3 <3

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

RE Korean horror, Bunshinsaba (2004) is on YT and is so drat good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvrwXIPsxc

Thanks for the heads up

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I was crazy busy all weekend, but I'm glad to find out that Hollis probably has an actual murder tape.

Also, horror pros watch Stir of Echoes with screwdrivers and chug every time Bacon gulps down the OJ.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Meant to have watched Brain Damage by now, that's been up on Shudder for a while. It's good yea?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Basebf555 posted:

Meant to have watched Brain Damage by now, that's been up on Shudder for a while. It's good yea?

Yeah it's worth a watch. I laughed pretty hard the first time it spoke.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Not really in the mood for anything in particular, and my Amazon Prime is expiring in a week so I wanna watch a bunch of stuff. What should I do next:

Bloodsucking Bastards
Strangers II
Dan Curtis' Dracula
Jigsaw
mother!
GOZU
It Comes at Night
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Handmaiden
Irreversable

I have no strong feelings towards any of these, so you guys pick.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Irreversible if you want something ugly and mean

Otherwise, we really need to talk about Kevin

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Gozu is very, very Miike. That can be good or bad depending on what you think of his style.

And Handmaiden is good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Easy Diff posted:

Not really in the mood for anything in particular, and my Amazon Prime is expiring in a week so I wanna watch a bunch of stuff. What should I do next:

Bloodsucking Bastards
Strangers II
Dan Curtis' Dracula
Jigsaw
mother!
GOZU
It Comes at Night
Handmaiden
Irreversable

You should instead watch Horror Express

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Stink Billyums posted:

Gozu is very, very Miike. That can be good or bad depending on what you think of his style.

And Handmaiden is good.

I love miike, so it looks like asian double feature tonight. I'll report back with my findings.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
While I don't necessarily recommend Irreversible, it's certainly one of those movies I've thought a lot about after seeing. There's a lot more to it than it's famous scene, but it's incredibly difficult to watch for many reasons. It's the only film that's ever given me motion-sickness, except I felt more anxious than nauseated.

That said, it's an endorsement, but not necessarily a recommendation.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

While I don't necessarily recommend Irreversible, it's certainly one of those movies I've thought a lot about after seeing. There's a lot more to it than it's famous scene, but it's incredibly difficult to watch for many reasons. It's the only film that's ever given me motion-sickness, except I felt more anxious than nauseated.

That said, it's an endorsement, but not necessarily a recommendation.

Noe used a lot of lower-than-human-hearing tones designed to make you sick in that movie, so that might be why you got motion sick. That and the camerawork make it a pretty hard movie to physically watch, let alone a hard movie to watch in terms of content.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DeimosRising posted:

Thanks for the heads up

Interesting bit of trivia: Ahn eventually went on to direct a more or less unrelated trilogy of Chinese horror films between 2012 and 2014, also called Bunshinsaba

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Irreversible also can only be suggested alongside a massive sexual assault trigger warning.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

kinda inappropriate considering we are talking about irreversible but to change direction i'm going thru a bad breakup and what are the best romantic horror movies i can cry to

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Noe used a lot of lower-than-human-hearing tones designed to make you sick in that movie, so that might be why you got motion sick. That and the camerawork make it a pretty hard movie to physically watch, let alone a hard movie to watch in terms of content.

I know about the low frequencies, but I'm watching on a flat screen without a sound bar, so it's specifically the camera work that got to me. It's like a sadistic spinning ride, because it kinda spins around randomly, where you don't really know what's up or down.

Also the strobe effects at the ending are cruel. I'm not epileptic, but within the past year or so, strobe effects hurt my brain in a weird way where I have to look away.

Fart City posted:

Irreversible also can only be suggested alongside a massive sexual assault trigger warning.

Absolutely. But even it's violence is really brutal. The amount of bigotry is abrasive. The opening scenes in the sex club are also incredibly off-putting for people not prepared to see stuff like a man fisting his own rear end in a top hat, begging to be hosed. And the themes are just very heartbreakingly nihilistic.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

the themes are just very heartbreakingly nihilistic.

This is what gets me about I Stand Alone too. It's the one movie I refuse to watch again just because it spews forth so much vile, hateful, awful, nihilism into the viewers face for its entire runtime.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

kinda inappropriate considering we are talking about irreversible but to change direction i'm going thru a bad breakup and what are the best romantic horror movies i can cry to

You joke, but Irreversible is very much a love story, which also surprised me. The whole story is two men who both love the same woman seeking revenge for her. There is a 20 minute scene where one of them laments to the woman that he is hopelessly in love with her with her and her partner, who is his friend. And then you have the ending, where we see the couple deeply in love.

But anyway, I like Dead Alive/Braindead's romance. Pequita is so cute and eager to win over Lionel. I also feel like Tremors has a nice romance subplot that feels earned and not tacked on.

I'll think of some more and post.

Kvlt! posted:

This is what gets me about I Stand Alone too. It's the one movie I refuse to watch again just because it spews forth so much vile, hateful, awful, nihilism into the viewers face for its entire runtime.

Weird way to spell LVT's Antichrist, but okay.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Stink Billyums posted:

Yeah it's worth a watch. I laughed pretty hard the first time it spoke.

It helps that Aylmer was voiced by none other than Zacherley too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Wait, Kvlt!, did you ever watch The Lure? That has an interesting romance in it.

Joke answer: Unsane.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

May

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

K. Waste posted:

RE Korean horror, Bunshinsaba (2004) is on YT and is so drat good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvrwXIPsxc

Thanks, it was alright. The first half is paced like a bullet train, but the latter half was real slow. Also:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Most horror movie romances aren’t all that... romantic? It’s hard to come up with something that’s not a metaphor for divorce or an abusive relationship or something similar.

Yeah. This is all I could think of.

joke answer: The Entity

edit: semi-joke answer: Basket Case 2

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Let The Right One In

Warm Bodies

Uh... Bride Of Chucky

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Dellamorte Dellamore AKA Cemetery Man AKA Demons '95

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 25, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

I thought Burying the Ex was an adorable RomZomCom sendoff for Anton Yelchin, :rip: Bonus: It's Joe Dante! This too. What a sweet movie. :3:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 25, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

Return of the Living Dead 3, The Shape of Water

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Easy Diff posted:

Bloodsucking Bastards
Strangers II
Dan Curtis' Dracula
Jigsaw
mother!
GOZU
It Comes at Night
Handmaiden
Irreversable

Handmaiden is absolutely the best movie on that list by orders of magnitude. GOZU owns too. Jigsaw sucks rear end. Irreversible is a great movie but not necessarily one I'd recommend, everyone else already posted why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Handmaiden is absolutely the best movie on that list by orders of magnitude. GOZU owns too. Jigsaw sucks rear end. Irreversible is a great movie but not necessarily one I'd recommend, everyone else already posted why.

Well I tried to soldier through GOZU but couldn't make it more than an hour. I don't go for the "disjointed scenes and aggressively anti-plot" device that gets used a lot in horror. Experimental is not my bag.

Lemme fire up Handmaiden, be back in 2:27