Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I have a question about tail light bulbs (if this is not the correct place to ask this question, I'll happily move it if you let me know): is it possible and/or advised to change the tail lights bulbs from old halogen bulbs to LED? I saw online that they do sell LED bulbs that they say they're just a replacement of the old halogen lights. But on some blog a guy was saying that the signal light requires a change to some electrical module because ... reasons when going to a LED.

My car is a 2012 Mazda 3, hatchback. The reason why I'm looking at this now is because i had a bulb burn out, i replaced it, only for a stone to crack the entire tail light and now i have to replace it and now I just realized that the brake bulb that I replaced the burned one with is probably not the right one and ... well, why not just replace them all and not have them burn anymore?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
For turn signals at least, you can't without some modifications. I don't know about the others.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

It depends.

Some LEDs are garbage. Some are significantly better than incandescent.

Like nm said, sometimes you need to make modifications because the turn signals will "fast blink" because the car sees a different resistance than it expects and that makes the car think a bulb is out. That's for garbage LEDs.

The only consistently good LED that I'd recommend, but I recommend fully, is Sylvania ZEVO. Every one of those that I've had has worked perfectly in retrofit cases and is bright, clear and I've never had one fail.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Oh, so for good LEDs you don't need to make the modifications anymore ?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I don't see anything on Sylvania's ZEVO pages about including correct resistance, so ... maybe?

Actually, digging a bit further, Sylvania sells a resistor product specifically targeting those bulbs. So you probably do still need to.

I interpreted his post to mean that they're not garbage bulbs, not that all (or any?) non-garbage bulbs correct the resistance issue.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I think that what the pimp of meats is basically saying if you buy cheap retrofit LED lights from eBay and Amazon you can expect them to fail like others. If you replace halogens with an LED do it with a name brand product made for a specific application.

Hey Rhyno, are you still searching out Grand Nationals? I found a good one without any rust that should fit your criteria: Grand National

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dunno, that one seems a bit sub par.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Oh, ok, thank you very much everybody.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hey Rhyno, are you still searching out Grand Nationals? I found a good one without any rust that should fit your criteria: Grand National

This is one of those times when I wish I had gently caress-you money, so I could buy that and then drive the wheels off of it. I hate automotive "investments."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Time has built up a mystique about the GN that is going to let a lot of people down when looking at them in current context.

Stock 0-60 was about 6.5 seconds with a 15+ second quarter mile. Common grocery getters will do that now.

Dad had a 20k stock GN in the early '00s. It was cool because it had t-tops and it was a GN, but I was super let down by how slow it was.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Anything from the 80s is probably slow outside of a 959, 911 Turbo or 288 GTO or their ilk.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey hardware and embedded nerds:

I'm testing Spectre on poo poo that hasnt been tested yet, for a final project for one of my classes. I need some cheapo embedded products that I can get a kernel and a compiler on. Any ideas?

e: also if anyone has arduino or raspberry pi or odroid or old rooted android cellphone, and dont mind running some code for me and sending me screenshots it'd be a huge help. I sent my arduino off to some friend's kid a long time ago.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 25, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

Anything from the 80s is probably slow outside of a 959, 911 Turbo or 288 GTO or their ilk.

Idk, at the time my dad's 88 IROC-Z 5.7 felt pretty loving fast :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

This is one of those times when I wish I had gently caress-you money, so I could buy that and then drive the wheels off of it. I hate automotive "investments."

The crazier thing is that just the other week an EIGHT mile GNX sold for $200K. Who are these rich dudes who no doubt had mullets were buying these up and mothballing them?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The crazier thing is that just the other week an EIGHT mile GNX sold for $200K. Who are these rich dudes who no doubt had mullets were buying these up and mothballing them?

No doubt. They were amazing cars at the time, especially the GNX, but it’s purely nostalgia now. To be fair, most of the ‘60s-‘70s muscle cars are disappointing, stock, nowadays. A V6 Camry could outrun a stock ‘70 SS Chevelle, even the LS6. Don’t even ask about handling or braking. The Chevelle still sounds better of course.
I still have a ‘70 Cutlass, despite all that. Mine’s not stock, though, and will become less so as I attempt to make it comparable in comfort and drivability to a modern economy car.

Edit, maybe a ‘90s economy car.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Adiabatic posted:

I'm testing Spectre on poo poo that hasnt been tested yet, for a final project for one of my classes. I need some cheapo embedded products that I can get a kernel and a compiler on. Any ideas?

e: also if anyone has arduino or raspberry pi or odroid or old rooted android cellphone, and dont mind running some code for me and sending me screenshots it'd be a huge help. I sent my arduino off to some friend's kid a long time ago.

I've got a raspberry pi 3, a rooted LG G5 and access to pretty much any PLC made within the last 20 years. Only problem is I have zero time until March 22......

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It's all about ~presence~ anyway. As long as there is a minimum bar cleared in comfort then everything else after that is "how loving cool does it look". A 70s Chevelle is cool as hell, so are GNXs, but now they have to compete with 90s cars for cool factor.
The prices reflect this since people with money are trying to buy a combination of nostalgia and personality.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think it would be rad to take some bone stock old performance cars and put them on modern tires and see how they actually stack up.

OEM tires on the Grand National are 215/65R15, nevermind the compound.

The fastest Countach ran a 13.3@104mph quarter mile with 449hp. The SRT Durango runs 13.2@104 mph with 475hp.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

I think it would be rad to take some bone stock old performance cars and put them on modern tires and see how they actually stack up.

OEM tires on the Grand National are 215/65R15, nevermind the compound.

The fastest Countach ran a 13.3@104mph quarter mile with 449hp. The SRT Durango runs 13.2@104 mph with 475hp.

If I ever get $tupid money I promise to do this.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

PM me. I have plenty of devices that could be helpful.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, since we're throwing around stuff like this, I have a question:

I'm following this project, but I only have Nanos on hand instead of pro minis, because why gently caress with an RS232 - USB jobbie when you can have it all right there.

However, in the link, what is the purpose of the resistor and diode between the RX0 and TXI pins? A ghetto high pass filter for noise? When I duplicate that on my nano, USB doesn't work while it's connected but the program works just fine when connected to the scooter. Any ideas why they did that?

I cloned the repository and made it use something not-depreciated (the Pro Mini): https://github.com/geirskogul/m365_dashboard/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tremek posted:

Call me Goatse Einstein

This badly needs to be an avatar.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

STR posted:

By the time a report is on Waze, the cop has already either pulled someone over, or they've been watching Waze themselves and moved to a better hiding spot once they saw the warning pop up.

Not around here. Hell, about once a month or so I manage to get a report into Waze about a speed trap before the poor bastard even manages to get his cruiser parked :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think there was some fear that any and all fun cars were going to get legislated to death and that'd be the end of horsepower. You know, completely discounting the ability of engineers to find better ways to make more power on less fuel.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Any recommendations for a sleeping bag that will be good enough for a place that will probably be in the 40s at night, but inside with a lovely heater? Apparently it can be fairly cold in the room, but I have to fly with it so really the smaller it packs up and the cheaper the better, but it also needs to fit someone who's 6'3".

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It's collectors and speculators buying them as investments, that car will show up again in 5-10 years for twice what they paid. Can't remember exactly who bought that one buy there's a few buyers on BaT like that.

Always a chance it's someone who just made it big and finally could afford their dream car but it's getting more and more uncommon.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

It's all about ~presence~ anyway. As long as there is a minimum bar cleared in comfort then everything else after that is "how loving cool does it look".

Style will trump comfort every time for me mainly because I don't drive a million miles a year. Yeah modern cars are amazing in comparison but they all look like poo poo so I'll take something that looks interesting instead.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

T-Square posted:

Do you guys remember Genesis Coupe guy that splashed people driving through puddles?

I wonder whatever happened to him :thunk:

Straight chillin. 🤔

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Straight chillin. 🤔

:vince:

Edit: drat, post-punk people are dying. Talk Talk is one hell of a pickup song, whatever your age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hHnOBlwU3A

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 25, 2019

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Even things like manual transmissions are becoming less efficient than automatic transmissions. I've just accepted that I'm a dinosaur

What's AI's opinion on Ed Bolian? I just stumbled on VINWiki and I really like him so far, but his focus on super high end cars does make him less relatable

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I pegged him as an rear end in a top hat when he made a bunch of videos crying about how closing the Montana plate loophole makes profiting off supercar ownership slightly less lucrative :shrug:

e: that said, some of the stories on vinwiki are pretty entertaining

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 25, 2019

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

The Door Frame posted:

Even things like manual transmissions are becoming less efficient than automatic transmissions. I've just accepted that I'm a dinosaur

What's AI's opinion on Ed Bolian? I just stumbled on VINWiki and I really like him so far, but his focus on super high end cars does make him less relatable

Weirdly enough I've been binging VINWiki recently. I like Ed!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I quite like Ed, he strikes me as a bit of an Arthur Daley, but I'm fine with that. I'm not sure what level his technical knowledge is, but fair play to him, he seems to do alright.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
He's got good stories, but I wouldn't trust him enough to deal with him for a car.

Having him advise me on the best way to get a supercar for cheap though, gently caress yeah.

My fever has broken. I can eat. My first meal? Three pounds of chicken, peppers, onions, hot sauce, and rice. Pray for me.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I like Ed. He typically has good stories and seems pretty educated on what he is talking about. The guests are for the most part good. VinWiki is good YT. Would watch again.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Style will trump comfort every time for me mainly because I don't drive a million miles a year. Yeah modern cars are amazing in comparison but they all look like poo poo so I'll take something that looks interesting instead.

Modern cars are intrinsically not interesting to drive either. I *still* go for the old 20 year old slow as poo poo Forester most days.

No denying the Levorg is the car of choice for long freeway work. But it's not a car I prefer to hammer through the twisties, I'll take the old shitbox for that.

quote:

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's kinda not true tho. A DSG doesnt have the losses of a torque converter sure but right now the most benefit to auto are the extra gears manufacturers are sticking in them to give you moonshot final drives... which isnt reaaaaaaaaaaaally an advantage of an auto, you can put extra moonshots on a manual if you wanted to (Do you really want to self shift 8 on the floor?). Also the first ratio's of auto are higher than manuals so you get the initial snap off the line that is the big selling point to a car. You could have that short ratio in a manual but yeah kinda doesn't work if you have to change quick that quick after launch.

All things equal a manual still is more efficient but the autos these days aren't an all things equal proposition anymore. 8/9 gears and aggressive fuel saving shift programming see to that

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also the first ratio's of auto are higher than manuals so you get the initial snap off the line that is the big selling point to a car. You could have that short ratio in a manual but yeah kinda doesn't work if you have to change quick that quick after launch.

Of all things, my wife's Kia Spectra5 ('08) has way too short gears in the trans, or too short a final drive. It's got plenty of torque for its size, and would pull a taller final gear easily. It's difficult to not spin the tires in first, especially in the wet, and, yeah, you're through with that gear pretty quickly. I'd settle for a taller 5th/overdrive to drop the RPMs 500-1000 on the highway, so I don't have to sacrifice its pretty reasonable-for-an-economy-car acceleration. It gets buzzy around 70 MPH, and I catch myself reaching for the shifter to go up another gear pretty often.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A lot of modern automatics will aggressively lock the torque converter in gears other than the last overdrive ratio - so it's not the efficiency penalty it used to be.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The current Mazda 6 speed auto is very good about going into lock up quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Queen Combat posted:

However, in the link, what is the purpose of the resistor and diode between the RX0 and TXI pins? A ghetto high pass filter for noise? When I duplicate that on my nano, USB doesn't work while it's connected but the program works just fine when connected to the scooter. Any ideas why they did that?

Looks like they are hacking a one wire protocol. The diode on the TX is to allow it to pull down on the bus line but not drive it high. I assume the system on the other end has a pull up on that line. The resistor is to limit current on the TX output and may also act as a termination.

Another way to do it would be to set the arduino output to be tristated but you would not be able to use the hardware serial port then.