Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

Against all odds the Vail/Denver crowd made it down here and I had to wait ten minutes in a lift line today.

Haha, yeah that would be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
eldora was icy and windy today, so much for that. pounded out laps for a few hours and then went back to the hotel to sleep

hopefully winter park is better!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There were furries in their fur suits at copper today.

:-/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

eldora was icy and windy today, so much for that. pounded out laps for a few hours and then went back to the hotel to sleep

That's the typical Eldora experience!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Razzled posted:

My condo mates went to Breck and Copper today. Bowls are both were pretty good apparently.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Razzled posted:

I'll be at winter park on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Looks like it might be kind of windy those days, but I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

KoRMaK posted:

There’s a guy here that always skis with a fox tail and fox ears on his helmet and I still don’t think he probably knows what furries are. Probably wishful thinking.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Moot . posted:

There’s a guy here that always skis with a fox tail and fox ears on his helmet and I still don’t think he probably knows what furries are. Probably wishful thinking.

Yea, there was a guy with a skunk tail and that was all too. Probably in the same boat and it's a fun gimmick.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I had my best turns of the year today at MH Meadows. A foot of fresh fell last night, and I got into Private Reserve early and had one of the best runs I've ever had in there (the only one that tops it was when I lucked out and got in there right at the season's first rope drop a few years back). It was deep and fluffy, which is a nice treat, considering its lower elevation. After a few laps in there, we heard Heather Chair was running, and we lucked into a rope drop at Twilight Bowl and had a super fun run despite it being a little wind affected. My girlfriend, who took up snowboarding a few seasons ago, is comfortable enough to ride steep pow now, which has been great to witness.

I just read that a skier died in a tree well at Timberline today, though, which is really terrible :/

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Conditions at Meadows today were ridiculous. The timing shack at the bottom of the halfpipe was firing. The good news is today was our last banked slalom/boardercross day & we only have 2 more comps (next weekend) before State Finals.

I did get 2 laps early, but was constrained to the west side. I will say that I took a walk to my usual piss spot and the tree wells in there were pretty sketch.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Not a great snow day, super choppy breakable wind blown crust, but a clear day at Arctic Valley is worth it. Three volcanoes and Denali out today.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I just read that a skier died in a tree well at Timberline today, though, which is really terrible :/
Hate to hear that. A 9 year old.from Massachusetts just died at Big Sky by impacting a tree and falling into a tree well. Death was due to impact injuries.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Moot . posted:

Against all odds the Vail/Denver crowd made it down here and I had to wait ten minutes in a lift line today.

I can't decide if it's (ikon) making a difference in Aspen. Any time there's a line this season people complain that it's because of the Ikon pass. But yesterday for example, 7" of blower pow in the am report on a bluebird Saturday in February during a really good season... it's going to be crowded Ikon or not. My buddy wouldn't shut up about it yet he has lived here his whole life and stood in line on weekend pow days before. And still, the gondola wait at the bottom at the worst was maybe 10-15 minutes around 10:30am. I literally walked straight onto the gondy at 9am, zero line and we were skiing onto most chairs all day or waiting like 60-90 seconds.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Rain plus warm weather is keeping people away from NJ. Literally 12 people on South today! This rules.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Yuns posted:

Rain plus warm weather is keeping people away from NJ. Literally 12 people on South today! This rules.

We moved about a hour closer to Mountain Creek and still have family in Central Jersey...with mrs rex having a work trip the 2nd week in March....I should head up that way.

Our yearly trek to VT was excellent. Killington/Pico were fantastic conditions...still haven't pushed myself beyond my comfort zone of my usual double diamond runs so no Fiddle this year. I really should start trying to get comfortable in trees too. Stowe was great as well and I'm super mad at myself for banging my knee up first run of the days there. Have to say though the 'experience' at Stowe is so much better than Killington. To the point where we might do a Stowe/Smuggler/Jay thing next year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ironlung posted:

I can't decide if it's (ikon) making a difference in Aspen. Any time there's a line this season people complain that it's because of the Ikon pass. But yesterday for example, 7" of blower pow in the am report on a bluebird Saturday in February during a really good season... it's going to be crowded Ikon or not. My buddy wouldn't shut up about it yet he has lived here his whole life and stood in line on weekend pow days before. And still, the gondola wait at the bottom at the worst was maybe 10-15 minutes around 10:30am. I literally walked straight onto the gondy at 9am, zero line and we were skiing onto most chairs all day or waiting like 60-90 seconds.

I would think Aspen's location would not make a huge impact on crowds with the Ikon. Maybe more people come over but you still are committing to a hotel and such. It is possible more locals got Ikon so they could pop over to Utah or up to Jackson instead of getting a sunlight pass or something.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

uh, I suppose that's one way to stay warm.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

highme posted:

Conditions at Meadows today were ridiculous. The timing shack at the bottom of the halfpipe was firing. The good news is today was our last banked slalom/boardercross day & we only have 2 more comps (next weekend) before State Finals.

I did get 2 laps early, but was constrained to the west side. I will say that I took a walk to my usual piss spot and the tree wells in there were pretty sketch.

Yeah, some of the tree wells on the HRM side look devious, and we saw a kid climbing out of one when we were going up the HRM lift. He was in feet first, so I'm not entirely sure what happened there. I definitely took extra care in PR.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Wife and I finished our 3rd lesson at Loveland. The instructor took us over to the basin and drat I now know what Colorado skiing is. Gorgeous and expansive and fun.

Now that I can handle greens I now have the bug. RIP wallet.

That being said, what should I be looking at for used skis and bindings? And any Denver area suggestions for boot fitters?

I've seen some guides even suggest Brahmas for heavier beginners which seems ambitious. I'm about 190 and 5-10 so I'm definitely not light.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would probably try to find boots at EVO, REI, EPIC, Christy. Should be some sales right now.

You should be able to find skis on Craigslist. You could also get new stuff pretty cheap right now.

Your lady buying too?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

I would probably try to find boots at EVO, REI, EPIC, Christy. Should be some sales right now.

You should be able to find skis on Craigslist. You could also get new stuff pretty cheap right now.

Your lady buying too?

Unsure on the lady. She might rent one more time. I think she would like her own helmet and goggles tho. Same with me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I have some ladies skis with bindings for sale if she ends up being interested.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Another thing about Meadows yesterday: it wasn't terribly busy for a weekend powder day. Presidents day weekend was so insanely busy that I figured it'd be the same story yesterday. But we didn't wait in line to get on a chair more than two or three times, and crowds seemed totally manageable.

I'm also never going up on 26 on a peak weekend again. We look 84 to 35 and it's only 10 minutes slower than 26 is on optimal days, and it's much more consistent. It's taken me over three hours to get home on 26. gently caress that noise.

It's supposed to dump all day tomorrow so I might skip work on Tuesday.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

I have some ladies skis with bindings for sale if she ends up being interested.

What size/brand/type etcccccc

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

What size/brand/type etcccccc

https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/denver-rossignol-savory-7-162cm-salomon/6806432902.html

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
6 year old fell 40 feet off the lift at Eldora today.

She's alive with unspecified injuries.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

Having about 70 days in the Aspen area over two seasons thus far, I have yet to encounter longer than a 5 minute lift line. For the 5 seasons and ~250 days I skied out of Denver, a 5 minute lift line was pretty amazing. On a powder day, 30 minute lines would be the norm. On seasonally crowded days, particularly any weekend in Feb or any day where there was an unusually large number of Denver day trippers, lines could be 45 mns to an hour.

Anyone who complains about lines in Aspen is a huge baby. Given how much much of an ordeal it is to travel from Basalt to Carbondale for so many people, it's not surprising, but it is disappointing.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sorry about the ribs hookshot

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

HookShot posted:

Thanks. Do a trip report on Zermatt, it sounds like it would be a super cool place to visit!

Zermatt is a really lovely place. I have only just been cleared by my surgeon to start skiing again so didn't do anything adventurous but...

It was an absolutely beautiful day. This is looking up towards the Breithorn and on to Monte Rosa from the Kleine Matterhorn.

And looking the other way for the obligatory Matterhorn shot.

Temperature not great for the snow but up at 3900m (13000 ft?) that doesn't really matter.

Had a really great day skiing easy pistes, and amazing lunch over in Italy. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end to get to and I have to drive past a lot of other ski areas to get there though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Today is the 30-year anniversary of Rob Boyd becoming the first Canadian to win a world cup race on home soil. At his home hill, no less:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLmFgN7DlfA

Rob can still destroy everyone else on the hill. He raced one of the 50-point GS skiers in the club in a dual a couple years back and just edged out the win. Plus he's basically the coolest and nicest guy ever.

Bilirubin posted:

Sorry about the ribs hookshot
Thanks! I should hopefully be back out there sooner rather than later.

knox_harrington posted:

Zermatt is a really lovely place. I have only just been cleared by my surgeon to start skiing again so didn't do anything adventurous but...

It was an absolutely beautiful day. This is looking up towards the Breithorn and on to Monte Rosa from the Kleine Matterhorn.

And looking the other way for the obligatory Matterhorn shot.

Temperature not great for the snow but up at 3900m (13000 ft?) that doesn't really matter.

Had a really great day skiing easy pistes, and amazing lunch over in Italy. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end to get to and I have to drive past a lot of other ski areas to get there though.
Oh nice, that looks amazing! I thought you could ski over to Italy from Zermatt to have lunch, though?

HookShot fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 25, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

I'm also never going up on 26 on a peak weekend again. We look 84 to 35 and it's only 10 minutes slower than 26 is on optimal days, and it's much more consistent. It's taken me over three hours to get home on 26. gently caress that noise.

The Hood River route is clutch, especially if you live near 84 anyway. When we were leaving Saturday around 4:30 I was shocked at how little traffic there was. I had thought about taking 35 before checking traffic, but carpooled with a couple of friends who had parked in Sandy so it wasn't really an option.

I think it was last winter, there was a Saturday that I left the same time our bus did. I turned left out of the lot and stopped in Hood River for a beer and food before continuing home. It took me about 2.5 hours to get to Tualatin. As I pulled into my driveway I sent a text to a friend on the bus to see where they were. They had just passed Welches.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

25 years since the the Olympics at Lillehammer, lots of nostalgia on TV. Some interesting things caught my eye, like Stine Lise Hattestad who won the new, cool sport freestyle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2UZyBAFh8

Moguls and jumps on basically downhill skis is pretty funny. But the speed suit still looks great. It definitely didn't catch on, but it looks more acrobatic, it's much easier to see what's going on compared to a just a big rotating wad of Wu-Tang sweaters. She said it was extremely cold, so that's one thing. And related to how it's easier to see what's going on, her father said many were reluctant to use it because it was easier to see mistakes.

XC skating from around that time is also pretty funny to see now. They look more like alpine skiers who have to go up a little hill from the parking lot to the lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAtbi0pr-UE

Torsos are almost horizontal and there's a huge gap between the ankles at the beginning of each push. Compare to modern skating with straighter backs and ankles almost touching on each push:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si71upZigE&t=36s

Skiing has sure come along way since then.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Would you mind posting a pic of the 10% when you get it?

Just saw this, I'll see if I can get a good pic after work. They are mirrored so I'm pretty sure it will just be a reflection of myself.

Wore them out on the mountain yesterday (bright bluebird day) and they worked great. No issues with fogging or fit with my helmet. Pretty surprised. We will see how they hold up.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

HookShot posted:

Oh nice, that looks amazing! I thought you could ski over to Italy from Zermatt to have lunch, though?

Oh yeah you absolutely can do that, and if you stop at Plateau Rosa you can eat in Italy and cross back into Switzerland without taking a lift.

I meant that to get to Zermatt I have to drive past Les Diablerets, the Portes du Soleil, Verbier, Crans-Montana etc and then get a train so it will just be an occasional treat.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

highme posted:

The Hood River route is clutch, especially if you live near 84 anyway. When we were leaving Saturday around 4:30 I was shocked at how little traffic there was. I had thought about taking 35 before checking traffic, but carpooled with a couple of friends who had parked in Sandy so it wasn't really an option.

I think it was last winter, there was a Saturday that I left the same time our bus did. I turned left out of the lot and stopped in Hood River for a beer and food before continuing home. It took me about 2.5 hours to get to Tualatin. As I pulled into my driveway I sent a text to a friend on the bus to see where they were. They had just passed Welches.

I live right off Foster, which makes 26 super convenient to me (I take Foster to 212, and make my way through Boring to 26 most of the time). On weekdays when there's no snow on the road and traffic is light getting, I've made it in an hour and 15 minutes. But the reality is on weekends when the conditions are decent is that it'll take me 2 hours, minimum. And there's always the chance you can get stuck on 35 in a terrible line because of an accident and have it add another hour to the trip. It's just a quick shot up Powell for me to hit 205, so 84 isn't too out of my way. But the trip is 34 miles longer. I just can't do 26 on weekends anymore, particularly since we always park at HRM anyway.

On President's Day weekend we got stuck for nearly an hour at the merger near the Dairy Queen in Rhododendron. We didn't get to the Meadows until 9:30 or so, and HRM was already closed and we were in the very last line of cars they let into the parking lot (they had a last line of cars go in the main lot and fill in the last couple dozen spaces at the edges of the lines of cars).

In conclusion, weekends at Meadows at rough, and they've gotten noticeably worse over the past 5 years or so. Lots of folks moving to the area, and they all like to ski, apparently. I've also noticed that crowded parking doesn't necessarily make for crowded slopes. People like to take a few runs and then sit in the bar, I guess.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Oh yeah you absolutely can do that, and if you stop at Plateau Rosa you can eat in Italy and cross back into Switzerland without taking a lift.

I meant that to get to Zermatt I have to drive past Les Diablerets, the Portes du Soleil, Verbier, Crans-Montana etc and then get a train so it will just be an occasional treat.

Ah, I get it, sorry. That's pretty sweet.

highme
May 25, 2001

In conclusion, weekends at Meadows at rough, and they've gotten noticeably worse over the past 5 years or so. Lots of folks moving to the area, and they all like to ski, apparently. I've also noticed that crowded parking doesn't necessarily make for crowded slopes. People like to take a few runs and then sit in the bar, I guess.

If I'm not driving through Govy by 7:30 on a contest day I'm hosed.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
winter park was fun as hell, got to test out my new karma grip on a beautiful bluebird day
https://vimeo.com/319608926

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Heavenly just said they're expecting an additional 4-8 feet of snow this week. Yikes. Here comes another atmospheric river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looking forward to some June ski trips this year