Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ruddiger posted:

Dellamorte Dellamore AKA Cemetery Man AKA Demons '95

Oh poo poo this one might be it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Easy Diff posted:

Not really in the mood for anything in particular, and my Amazon Prime is expiring in a week so I wanna watch a bunch of stuff. What should I do next:

Bloodsucking Bastards
Strangers II
Dan Curtis' Dracula
Jigsaw
mother!
GOZU
It Comes at Night
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Handmaiden
Irreversable

I have no strong feelings towards any of these, so you guys pick.

I'd move We Need to Talk About Kevin way up there.

I've had a hard time deciding over the years whether I like or hate Body Double. After just rewatching I think "like". The climactic scene with the dream sequence of the movie scene being filmed spliced in with the "real" action is a real nice payoff. I think the problems I had with it are that the lead actor is such a weird looking dude and the claustrophobia thing seeming like such a corny gimmick in the earlier scenes. I still have those problems with it but that climax is well earned.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I wish Arrow US would release a packed edition of Dellamorte Dellamorte so bad. Whoever owns the rights (Fox, I think) is an rear end in a top hat.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Jenny, could you send in the Boxer next."

"Ok Mr. Boxer, we are a little concerned you are bending the rules to meet your quota. I see on your last H-377 report that you took a soul because *squints* 'his punches unlocked the lament configuration.'"

Just wanted to say I appreciated this call back to the 90s comic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

It was a pain the rear end but I managed to get some photos of the crawl space. There's no light down there and i realized my mistake when I crawled in there and had to turn my light off to take flash photography so that was real pleasant.

This pic is away from the entrance. It was super dark down there I am gonna need to get a flashlight.

I couldn't go any further because the ceiling is narrow and I didn't have a flashlight. Also, it slope downward there in a path but I didn't go check it out. I'll also probably do this in the day time so there will be some light.

I dunno what this is it's near the entrance and its a dug up hole and there's a big piece of concrete next to it.

Here's the pool

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 26, 2019

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hollis thats how you die

you die in a crawlspace, you die in real life

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Hollis I think what you need to do is take out that kiddie pool and invite an eclectic, yet all attractive, group of teens to a pool party. Make sure at least one of them is psychic in some way.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Get yourself a Ouija board, a spiritual guru, and at least one disturbed but clairvoyant child and hold a seance in the basement.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ramadu posted:

hollis thats how you die

you die in a crawlspace, you die in real life
The song Hollis hears as he's killed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM5agHmBTTc

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How old is your house? That hole looks like someone removed replaced a rotting support by taking it directly out of the concrete but its bizarre that they didn't fill it back up

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Pomp posted:

How old is your house? That hole looks like someone removed replaced a rotting support by taking it directly out of the concrete but its bizarre that they didn't fill it back up

I think it's right at 100 years old. That's what I was thinking but that doesn't make sense because the support beam would just be supporting like my living room floor or something . I dunno maybe. You can kind of see it in that first photo where that piece of concrete is.

I dunno what that downward slope is about. Like way at the front there' this path down. I need to get more light to go there tho I am not crawling in the dark to get there.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 26, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

To the demon who possesses and replaces Hollismason, let me be the first to welcome you to CineD. Enjoy your stay, we have such sights to show you.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Franchescanado posted:

You joke, but Irreversible is very much a love story, which also surprised me. The whole story is two men who both love the same woman seeking revenge for her. There is a 20 minute scene where one of them laments to the woman that he is hopelessly in love with her with her and her partner, who is his friend. And then you have the ending, where we see the couple deeply in love.

In some ways, his 2015 movie Love is way more depressingly nihilistic. Like, at least Irreversible spews you out of a giant rear end in a top hat only to have you crawl into the light. Love is literally just a young dude with a girlfriend he doesn't love anymore and a kid he's too emotionally immature to take care of remembering the last really hosed up relationship he had. It's brutal in a neorealistic way, where as Irreversible is so heavily stylized and metaphorical from the drop that it's impossible for me to engage with it as speaking to an earnest view of people and their apparent nature. Like a Decameron or Canterbury Tales story, it's a satire of values. The cartoonishly vulgar gay S&M club isn't where the characters end up, it's where they're born. Le Tenia doesn't assault Alex out of a completely random, in-born malice - He's getting revenge for Pierre emasculating him.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

K. Waste posted:

In some ways, his 2015 movie Love is way more depressingly nihilistic. Like, at least Irreversible spews you out of a giant rear end in a top hat only to have you crawl into the light. Love is literally just a young dude with a girlfriend he doesn't love anymore and a kid he's too emotionally immature to take care of remembering the last really hosed up relationship he had. It's brutal in a neorealistic way, where as Irreversible is so heavily stylized and metaphorical from the drop that it's impossible for me to engage with it as speaking to an earnest view of people and their apparent nature. Like a Decameron or Canterbury Tales story, it's a satire of values. The cartoonishly vulgar gay S&M club isn't where the characters end up, it's where they're born. Le Tenia doesn't assault Alex out of a completely random, in-born malice - He's getting revenge for Pierre emasculating him.

Wait, Le Tenia shows up in the linear timeline of events before the rape? I don't remember this.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Here's the pool

You know what you gotta do

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

MacheteZombie posted:

You know what you gotta do

The Lament Configuration of pools, for those who like to seek new and extreme ways of chilling out and cracking open a cold one.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Rot Tub Crime Scene

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Origami Dali posted:

Wait, Le Tenia shows up in the linear timeline of events before the rape? I don't remember this.

No, what I mean is that the contra-linear narrative of the film presupposes the revenge as symbolically establishing the conditions for the rape, not the other way around.

The opening of Irreversible is not a nihilistic representation of homosexual masculinity. It is a diabolical representation of hegemonic masculinity, which is obsessed with power and dominance. Technically, we are given explicit information that the film's events are occurring in reverse, but this "reverse" narrative is the true one. The rape does not occur out of the blue, driving a formerly "good man" temporarily insane with passion so that he murders someone. The rape is a symptom of how masculinity is culturally defined and institutionalized, where men find social value and distinguish themselves by attempting to be physically and sexually dominant.

Like, notice how this contra-linear structuring of the story shows Marcus assaulting and degrading the transgender prostitute, before we ever see Le Tenia again doing the same thing. It is a complete mistake to read this sequence backwards because it's technically factual. What is factual is not always empirical. Marcus doesn't act this way towards the queer sex worker because of what Le Tenia did. He acts this way because this is how a gender-sexual hierarchy works. Marcus and Le Tenia are obverse of one another, the latter just represents the diabolical extreme of the former's embodied masculinity.

This is even reflected in the twist "ending" where Pierre is the one who kills Le Tenia. Marcus tries to fight him, but then immediately gets his arm broken, emasculating himself. Then Pierre claims the phallic symbol in the form of the fire extinguisher and stoves in Le Tenia's face. In the "past," it is then revealed that Pierre feels sexually and physically inadequate compared to Marcus. Despite spending the whole night vainly trying to stop Marcus from confronting Le Tenia, it's actually he who performs the most brutal, psychosexual act. As with his constant mewling over wishing he was good enough for Alex, his performance of trying to stop Marcus is completely disingenuous. He just wants to prove that he's the "bigger man," which doesn't just mean killing Le Tenia - it means seeing Marcus totally humiliated.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

K. Waste posted:

No, what I mean is that the contra-linear narrative of the film presupposes the revenge as symbolically establishing the conditions for the rape, not the other way around.

The opening of Irreversible is not a nihilistic representation of homosexual masculinity. It is a diabolical representation of hegemonic masculinity, which is obsessed with power and dominance. Technically, we are given explicit information that the film's events are occurring in reverse, but this "reverse" narrative is the true one. The rape does not occur out of the blue, driving a formerly "good man" temporarily insane with passion so that he murders someone. The rape is a symptom of how masculinity is culturally defined and institutionalized, where men find social value and distinguish themselves by attempting to be physically and sexually dominant.

Like, notice how this contra-linear structuring of the story shows Marcus assaulting and degrading the transgender prostitute, before we ever see Le Tenia again doing the same thing. It is a complete mistake to read this sequence backwards because it's technically factual. What is factual is not always empirical. Marcus doesn't act this way towards the queer sex worker because of what Le Tenia did. He acts this way because this is how a gender-sexual hierarchy works. Marcus and Le Tenia are obverse of one another, the latter just represents the diabolical extreme of the former's embodied masculinity.

This is even reflected in the twist "ending" where Pierre is the one who kills Le Tenia. Marcus tries to fight him, but then immediately gets his arm broken, emasculating himself. Then Pierre claims the phallic symbol in the form of the fire extinguisher and stoves in Le Tenia's face. In the "past," it is then revealed that Pierre feels sexually and physically inadequate compared to Marcus. Despite spending the whole night vainly trying to stop Marcus from confronting Le Tenia, it's actually he who performs the most brutal, psychosexual act. As with his constant mewling over wishing he was good enough for Alex, his performance of trying to stop Marcus is completely disingenuous. He just wants to prove that he's the "bigger man," which doesn't just mean killing Le Tenia - it means seeing Marcus totally humiliated.

And it's all for nothing, because he doesn't kill Le Tenia anyway. He kills the wrong person.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Is that some sort of a shadowbeast off to the left there?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I hope not.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

its me

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I hope not.

You totally have a dead body buried under your house.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1998dfca.html

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It turns out the horror all along was dry rot.

But yeah, nothing about those basement pictures disuaded me from my Hell Basement theory. Especially that narrow sloping passageway you can't see into because it gets too dark and goes too deep or the mysterious hole.

I mean, c'mon man!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Late to the Hellraiser chat (drat you people post a lot) but does anybody have any info on whether Barker’s Tortured Souls was supposed to be some sort of legally distinct Hellraiser reboot?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Stryder posted:

You totally have a dead body buried under your house.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1998dfca.html

I'm not in California.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Hollismason posted:

I'm not in California.

Whew. Totally safe then.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trip Report: Handmaiden owns. I was expecting a little more spooks, but Gothic Thriller works too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kvlt! posted:

kinda inappropriate considering we are talking about irreversible but to change direction i'm going thru a bad breakup and what are the best romantic horror movies i can cry to

Spring was literally made for your situation

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/showupforthis/status/1100206762630631424

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I got Christopher Walken, so even odds that he and I are the killers.

I also get Obi-Wan Kenobi (MacGregor Version) and Adam Green, so maybe we can get our hands on the script ahead of time.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 26, 2019

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Origami Dali posted:

And it's all for nothing, because he doesn't kill Le Tenia anyway. He kills the wrong person.

Existential horror at its finest.

edit: I realize that lots of people find the whole "the true monster is man" genre tired, but with Irreversible it actually falls into that closely related category of "there is no monster." Le Tenia does not actually exist.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 26, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’d like to say I’ve got Lee Van Cleef or Bob Denver but it’s probaly Nixon and he’s going to gently caress me over

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Easy Diff posted:

I got Christopher Walken, so even odds that he and I are the killers.

I also get Obi-Wan Kenobi (MacGregor Version) and Adam Green, so maybe we can get our hands on the script ahead of time.

I have Daniel Craig, in which case yes that horror monster is dead with some Walther PPK shots to central mass. Or Dr. Seuss, so the monster goes away as soon as I learn how to be a good person.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just me and Woody Guthrie, killing fascist draculas and serenading underrepresented frankensteins.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Cher.

We’re gonna be fine.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

I’d like to say I’ve got Lee Van Cleef or Bob Denver but it’s probaly Nixon and he’s going to gently caress me over

"Come on, Deimos! Richard Nixon... Nick's son!... Hi, dad!"

the killer's name is Nick

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm with either Anthony Hopkins, so if he's on my side he'll just eat the threat, or Sean Cunningham, which means if the killer is Jason he'll probably know more about him than anybody, depending on where you stand regarding the lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I got Paul W.S. Anderson so you know that movie is going to be good.