Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dreqqus posted:

Seems like the cool thing to do is probably just make a single compelling story with maybe like a sequel hook in case you find success? Crazy, I know.

That's exactly what Alita did. It's a self contained story that has elements primed for a potential sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I mean that's cool if so, but that's not what Sucrose posted.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's weird that people can't be satisfied with just having the movie, it also needs to immediately qualify for a sequel.

In most cases, I'd at least see your point, but part of why it's so cool that this movie exists is because it's the first chunk of a long and loving wild as hell story.

The point where the existing movie ends, is pretty much where the original manga goes zero to 100 as quickly as possible. A lot of us really, really want to see that next chunk adapted, because it's never been done in motion before and it's generally agreed to be loving awesome (Alita vs. Jashugan is probably one of the best fight scenes in any manga, ever).

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

People would probably complain less if they moved the last two minutes of the film after the credits. It’s not any different from that actually.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dreqqus posted:

I mean that's cool if so, but that's not what Sucrose posted.

The film ends at a midpoint in the overarching narrative, but the story "Alita: Battle Angel" tells is self contained.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I really want to see some wacky Nova-ness from Norton. Thats why I’m really hoping for a sequel.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

In most cases, I'd at least see your point, but part of why it's so cool that this movie exists is because it's the first chunk of a long and loving wild as hell story.

The point where the existing movie ends, is pretty much where the original manga goes zero to 100 as quickly as possible. A lot of us really, really want to see that next chunk adapted, because it's never been done in motion before and it's generally agreed to be loving awesome (Alita vs. Jashugan is probably one of the best fight scenes in any manga, ever).

As much as I want to see freaky Caligula Armblessed and it would be easy to screw him up, the same goes even more for Tiegel, because I still get :qq: when he's in that fight: "...in the end, I fought the champion :unsmith:".

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think the problem isn't even the very end exactly -- to me it comes down to the flashbacks. There are two -- one where she's doing the zero-g training and is told the true enemy is Nova, and the second where she gets the 'complete the mission 99! destroy zalem!' both of which raise stakes in ways that could never be satisfied in a single movie.

Without those, even if the ending were exactly the same, I think it would feel a ton more self-contained. The hooks for a sequel would still be there, just not quite as in-your-face obvious.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I bet that they already shot a bunch of footage for the second movie, and since a lot of the initial technology investment is already done that even if this first one underperforms we still get a follow up.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I bet that they already shot a bunch of footage for the second movie

Unfortunately this is not the case

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wow, I really liked this!
I'd only read the first volume some years ago and kinda forgot about it.

The ending was great because if it doesn't get a sequel, you know what's going to happen.
If it does, you're gonna love how she gets there!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CheddarGoblin posted:

Unfortunately this is not the case

:smithicide:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's an odd anime cliche that I love of an old dude with no powers who keeps up with the rest of the general superpowered mooks with smarts, value to the community and a big honking weapon.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

CheddarGoblin posted:

As someone who worked on this movie (all I did was plug in wires, no creative role at all) I can't express how good it makes me feel that the initial reactions have been so positive. I really, really hope it does well enough to make the sequels (especially since Iron City is basically a permanent installation on our lot). It's pretty surreal.

Allow me to fangirl for a second and say thank you to you CheddarGoblin for helping make this movie become a reality. I too would love to see any sequels but even if we aren't that lucky I'm so happy that we at least got the film we did. It's one of my favorite films of all time and I'll cherish it forever. I think I'll go see it again tomorrow.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

AllisonByProxy posted:

Allow me to fangirl for a second and say thank you to you CheddarGoblin for helping make this movie become a reality. I too would love to see any sequels but even if we aren't that lucky I'm so happy that we at least got the film we did. It's one of my favorite films of all time and I'll cherish it forever. I think I'll go see it again tomorrow.

:eyepop: :love: that was pretty intense huh :3:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'ma see it again next week for sure :kimchi:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
One of my best friends doesn't want to see it because she hates James Cameron (valid) and can't get over the big eyes (not valid) so I no longer know anyone who wants to see it. :( I GUESS ILL GO SEE IT BY MYSELF HMPPH.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
https://www.artofvfx.com/alita-battle-angel-eric-saindon-vfx-supervisor-mike-cozens-animation-supervisor-weta-digital

This is a cool article from a couple of the Weta guys going over some of the nitty gritty behind creating Alita's character.

About half way down there's a before and after shot of the Iron City set - in the before shot you can see a construction crane holding up a lattice covered in various pieces of fabric over the set. That was cinematographer (who did The Matrix) Bill Pope's way of simulating how sunlight would filter through the upper part of the city onto the ground. I thought that was neat.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Anyone picked up the art book?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

One of my best friends doesn't want to see it because she hates James Cameron (valid) and can't get over the big eyes (not valid) so I no longer know anyone who wants to see it. :( I GUESS ILL GO SEE IT BY MYSELF HMPPH.

Tell her it's a Robert Rodriguez movie and that the movie does a good job making you forget Alita is a CG character.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

teagone posted:

Tell her it's a Robert Rodriguez movie and that the movie does a good job making you forget Alita is a CG character.

This.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Anyone picked up the art book?

I've ordered it but I live in the middle of nowhere so it will take awhile to arrive. If no one else gets one in the meantime I will post some scans once it gets here.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

teagone posted:

You're right. Alita wouldn't give up and so I WON'T EITHER :argh:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

You're right. Alita wouldn't give up and so I WON'T EITHER :argh:

Tear your friend limb from limb!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Tear your friend limb from limb!

don't do this, she'll do a kung fu flip and punch your eye out with her remaining arm

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Speaking of that, the movie did make me realize that I appreciate when a PG-13 movie knows how to best utilize the one F-Bomb they’re allowed to drop.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, that struck home to me as well.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Alita: gently caress your mercy!

Me:

I had a few That's Chappie moments in the theater during my first viewing.

When Hugo's arm starts to break as Alita is holding him up, this dude next to me just goes ":smug: Hrmph. Faulty engineering."

Also, during the first Motorball match, this lady in the front row just goes, " :aaa: Oh! It's Motorball for real this time!"

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I couldn't find an IMAX 2D showing. Did everyone watch it 3D?

Thought the movie was great, but curious to see how it is without the 3D.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tertius Oculum posted:

I watched 2D. 3D hurts my brain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tertius Oculum posted:

Saw it twice in 2D, once in 3D. I personally thought the 3D didn't add much to the film; it's a better experience in 2D imo. Seeing it again on Friday :neckbeard:

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Tertius Oculum posted:

I just came back from seeing in for the 3rd time, first time in 3D. I thought it looked good and there were certainly a few shots I thought looked really drat cool in 3D but it is by no means essential.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Air dropping in to ask a recommendation question: If I never read much of Last Order, but loved the original run as a teenager, and am mostly just looking for a fun action-y time, is this a Full Price Movie, Dollar Theater Movie, Redbox Movie, or Netflix Movie?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Air dropping in to ask a recommendation question: If I never read much of Last Order, but loved the original run as a teenager, and am mostly just looking for a fun action-y time, is this a Full Price Movie, Dollar Theater Movie, Redbox Movie, or Netflix Movie?

If you're willing to pay full price for a fun action-y time then you could do much worse than this.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I've yet to read Last Order, but have read the OG 9 volume run several times over. If you loved the OG 9 volume run, you will love this movie. See it on the biggest screen your theater has available in 2D. Bonus if it's Dolby Atmos equipped.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

teagone posted:

I've yet to read Last Order, but have read the OG 9 volume run several times over. If you loved the OG 9 volume run, you will love this movie. See it on the biggest screen your theater has available in 2D. Bonus if it's Dolby Atmos equipped.

Last Order is so good.

And so is Mars Chronicles.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Last Order is so good.

And so is Mars Chronicles.

I want to read Last Order, but there's no box set :argh: I also read that there are 5 collected books, but book 5 ends at volume 15, with volumes 16-19 only available as separate volumes. Even more :argh:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Adlai Stevenson posted:

See it in theaters soon before it gets bumped out by Captain Marvel. Hard to find it in Atmos already, depending on how many screens are near you. Especially if you read and liked the original run -- a lot of stuff is pulled right from that and the adaptation is faithful to a fault. Well -- I have long-term concerns about some of the background changes but that's Last Order stuff mostly anyway.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Full price movie, 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love that Alita herself is basically the biggest advancement in CGI since fuckin Gollum and yet it probably won't influence anything because "BIG EYES HMBOL"

e: like, for real: Alita is a CGI character who, unlike Gollum and similar characters, is supposed to be basically a person. like, she's only supposed to read marginally differently from all the meat actors around her, despite being made of pixels and movement data from ping-pong balls, which is something that has been generally agreed to be extremely difficult, if not literally impossible, for like 20 years.

all the Final Fantasy: Spirits Within stuff about how the protagonist was a ~digital actress~ and etc, that seems so laughable in hindsight when you look at that movie? we're finally, like, actually there. and Alita is the proof.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 28, 2019