Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jagged Jim posted:

My problem with the Cyclops is that there isn't a viewpoint that really feels comfortable while driving. The cockpit doesn't have a very good sight angle down and you can't blast the horn activate countermeasures while using cameras. The camera on the bottom is probably the most useful but it's set too far back to really see that far ahead of you. (lol draw distances and pop in)

I see that, but I enjoyed how that added to the aesthetic of ~helplessness~. Like you really were soloing a ship made for three...

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Minus the draw distance, I saw that as a major appeal of the Cyclops. It's a big ship, and it feels like it, to the point that no one station or perspective allows you to do everything you want while piloting.

Reminds me of those old submarine games or the Independence War games where you had to jump constantly between different screens and subsystems to get everything done.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 25, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Cyclops is definitely meant to contrast the agile convenience of the Seamoth. Eventually you get the hang of it.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I never took the Cyclops into the Sea Dragon's lair, I used the Prawn to websling my way across instead

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ahaha, I just got to the part in sacriel's run where he aggro'd his first Reaper, and also aggro'd his girlfriend.

"well, I guess I might be sleeping on the couch tonight..."

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/222192208?t=1h51m3s

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I just got the Cyclops last night, prob a bit later than I should’ve, because I thought you would get it from parts at Wrecks like everything else. I know it’s in debris on the ground in the mushroom areas but I figured I’d stick to wrecks because it felt a little more correct. Turns out it only spawns cyclops debris at 2 wrecks on the entire map, and one has engine pieces (Aurora can have a couple too) and the other the hull/bridge. I ended up just looking it up after like my 12th wreck :v:

Anyways this thing is much bigger than I expected, kind of crazy. Also it apparently has the only animated ladders in the game? This game is so good yet so weird and unfinished. Also realized I put a little too much time into my surface base considering I’ll probably be living out of this sub most of the time now, besides scanner rooms.

I’m at like day 105 because I wasted a lot of time exploring in the Seamoth and playing dollhouse with my habitat, I feel like this bacteria should’ve killed me already.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 25, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Does Below Zero play on the same engine?
I'm pretty much at minimal specs for Subnautica on my laptop, though it runs fairly well except for a few things like the portals.
Just wondering if the new one just as well or will it just kill my vid card?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

OgNar posted:

I'm pretty much at minimal specs for Subnautica on my laptop, though it runs fairly well except for a few things like the portals.

same engine

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

OgNar posted:

When I boot up Below Zero it gives me a warning that my video card card isn't up to snuff but it doesn't seem to perform any worse than the first game for me.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I picked up Below Zero yesterday, and it has a few moments when it gets choppy but it's generally really solid. No complaints on that front.

Just wish it was easier to pick up blueprints so I could build a nice base and some godeep submaries.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The new development progress board they migrated to from Trello is a complete clusterfuck.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Despite all the bugginess being discussed in here, this thread actually inspired me to go out and buy Subnautica. I was going to do it, even though I have to boot into Windows to play it, and I hate that. Then, I saw that it's full price. It's been pretty much permanently on sale for ~$17 since I first put it on my Steam wish list like two years ago. I get emails about it all the time. The day I decide to go out and buy it, it's full price. It hasn't gone back on sale in the two or three weeks since then, either. Oh, well. No way I'm paying $25 for a buggy game with iffy late-game potential which I have to boot into Windows to play.

I can game the system by buying a combo pack, which would bring the price down to $19, but now I'm set on waiting for that $17 to come back around. I bet I'll be playing it just as the rest of you are finishing the new one.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I've posted it before, but this is a good playthrough and technically canon since they included all of the characters in the base game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA

I almost closed this, because I wanted a "real" play-through. I'm glad I stuck it out. That person put a LOT of effort into those videos. The whole thing gets much better after the Ray Gillette character shows up. It wears thin after a couple of videos, but it's good while it's fresh.

Edit: vv Lol, really? I definitely would have tried it for the bargain price of free.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 26, 2019

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Despite all the bugginess being discussed in here, this thread actually inspired me to go out and buy Subnautica. I was going to do it, even though I have to boot into Windows to play it, and I hate that. Then, I saw that it's full price. It's been pretty much permanently on sale for ~$17 since I first put it on my Steam wish list like two years ago. I get emails about it all the time. The day I decide to go out and buy it, it's full price. It hasn't gone back on sale in the two or three weeks since then, either. Oh, well. No way I'm paying $25 for a buggy game with iffy late-game potential which I have to boot into Windows to play.

I can game the system by buying a combo pack, which would bring the price down to $19, but now I'm set on waiting for that $17 to come back around. I bet I'll be playing it just as the rest of you are finishing the new one.

I almost closed this, because I wanted a "real" play-through. I'm glad I stuck it out. That person put a LOT of effort into those videos. The whole thing gets much better after the Ray Gillette character shows up. It wears thin after a couple of videos, but it's good while it's fresh.

You'll no doubt be even happier to know that it was free on the Epic store for two weeks in December

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm not saying there aren't bugs - there clearly are, but I've put about 70 hours into this game since early access, completing it three times, and the only bug I ever experienced was clipping thorough a certain part of the aurora once. I was able to swim right back in though, it wasn't what I'd call game breaking.

Reading some of the posts here it sounds like the whole thing falls apart every 5 minutes, but I think that's only for a small percentage of players. Save often just in case and you should be fine.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The problem isn't the bugginess per se, but rather the bugs are more often than not utterly crippling if not outright gamebreaking. The one where a Sea Dragon pushed me with its face through the wall of the containment facility which has no water and thus I was stranded on the ground and was unable to clip back in-bounds was a no-win scenario, I was stuck despite my best efforts and had to reload to before I had entered that final area. Stuff like that can be really debilitating to someone's otherwise great enjoyment of the game and even saving frequently still might mean you lose a half hour or more of progress, and honestly, I don't blame folks for dropping a game after having to reload an older save after a bug forces them to.

I have 89 hours and experienced about 4 serious bugs in my entire time playing. Three clips(crabsnake pushed my seamoth through a wall, sea dragon pushed me through a wall, cuddlefish swimming inside my base pushed me through the base) and one CTD, all but the seamoth required reloads. It's not unreasonable to get angry at the real buggy nature of the game, there's TONS of minor bugs too that don't break the game but can be obnoxious.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 26, 2019

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I wasn't saying don't get angry at bugs, though I will say that now: try not to get angry at bugs, it's pointless and doesn't affect anyone but you.

I was saying that people who didn't get horrible bugs generally aren't going to come and post about it in the same way that people who did will. So while there clearly are game breaking bugs, and they're more frequent than anyone wants, they are disproportionately represented itt. It's entirely possible to play through the game multiple times without seeing any.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I got stuck in a state of being out-of-water in the prawn suit while deep into the very end of the game with no backup save and so had achievements disabled to unstuck myself when I finished.

Very angry.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

GotLag posted:

I never took the Cyclops into the Sea Dragon's lair, I used the Prawn to websling my way across instead

I didn't have the right depth modules and didn't want to go back up and make them, so I just swam.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

..btt posted:

I'm not saying there aren't bugs - there clearly are, but I've put about 70 hours into this game since early access, completing it three times, and the only bug I ever experienced was clipping thorough a certain part of the aurora once. I was able to swim right back in though, it wasn't what I'd call game breaking.

Reading some of the posts here it sounds like the whole thing falls apart every 5 minutes, but I think that's only for a small percentage of players. Save often just in case and you should be fine.

I had very few problems on the PC, just popped oob once or twice and of course the pop-in. The PS4 version was another matter. In the course of a single play through I had my save corrupt 3 times, once so badly I restarted the game, clipped out of bounds half a dozen times, got the sea moth stuck in geometry all over the place and the pop-in is REALLY bad. You could sit forever in some areas and just stare right through the floor into caves.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The only ~major~ bug I experienced was when a cave wall in the Lost River didn't load in and I could get into the map's nullzone and cruise around. I explored for a bit and then went back through the hole and got far enough away to reload the assets and it never happened again.
:shrug:

I think a lot of the bitterness in this thread is people who saw the potential in early access and then watched as what can be game-breakers got baked into the base-game. Personally, having come in after release, I thought this was a great buy at $25 and is as/more stable than several AAA, major-studio releases. It also regularly goes on sale for 50%-75% off, making it an even better bargain.

It's a unique experience and format in an environment you don't often see explored in games. They've been able to render beautiful water for 20 years, but it still scares devs away from some reason. :smith:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

uPen posted:

The PS4 version was another matter.

Fair point, I should say that all my playtime was on PC.

Shame that the PS4 port sucks, it's a lot less forgivable having pop-in issues on a console, which is a relatively static target, performance-wise.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
There some little stuff too that will add up in the annoying factor. Stuff like things falling through the ground if you leave the render area, vehicle clipping through walls or sinking through the ground, scanners marking resources that generate under terrain (not caves, just not accessible), and fish clipping through habitat walls all the time. None of is game breaking but it’s like kind of visible bugs that are regular enough to be grating.

For an example the second or so time I went to gun island I parked my seamoth a little bit on the beach area. I also put a beacon down to mark a spot on the island. Both of those objects fell clean through the ground but the markers remained. I had to roll back to a pretty earlier save, and thats some pretty visibly annoying poo poo.

Like you said though, otherwise the game is pretty unique and good, I just wish they polished some of this stuff because there are posts/comments about a lot of it since the game was just starting in EA. I can accept the first game not getting patches anymore, but if this poo poo remains in Below Zero it will be pretty inexcusable.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 26, 2019

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I'm looking at it as a balance of things. The size of the programming team is pretty small, the fun that can be gained is really huge, and the price is also small. For my money, it's a really sound investment in fun. I acknowledge that the bugs exist while choosing to focus on the parts I enjoy instead.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

is below zero in decent shape yet or is it a wait for it to cook a little longer first?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Below Zero is Extremely Unfinished.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'd wait at least until June or July. They should have several content patches released by then.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is perfectly playable and fun, but there isn't a whole lot of content yet.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

It's nice and fun right now, but it is in a Very Content Light State. Personally I'm hoping for a big influx of construction blueprints. The biggest Loving This Game moments have always come from building an elaborate undersea base, for me. I'd build all goddamn day long.

I've legit started to look at how much work it would take to build a network of air pipes that extends through the entire playable area. It's too much. But it tempts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Seagull's playthrough was interesting, especially since he went through things almost a completely different way than I did. And that you don't really need a lot of the endgame stuff if you just take advantage of what you already have.

Is kind of an issue that there's entire areas of the map with little reason to go there unless you've spoiled yourself about some setpieces. Would like to see if there's other long-form playthroughs that aren't too obviously scripted where they stumble into different areas.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A Seagull's playthrough was interesting, especially since he went through things almost a completely different way than I did. And that you don't really need a lot of the endgame stuff if you just take advantage of what you already have.

Is kind of an issue that there's entire areas of the map with little reason to go there unless you've spoiled yourself about some setpieces. Would like to see if there's other long-form playthroughs that aren't too obviously scripted where they stumble into different areas.

For original Subnautica, or Below Zero?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cobbsprite posted:

For original Subnautica, or Below Zero?

Both? When the latter's finished, anyway. And I've beaten it.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I loved the original Subnautica. I never noticed any bugs.

I’m eager to see how Below Zero develops.

I would endlessly play subnautica style games if they keep pumping them out.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'd like to see other but similarly inhospitable settings. Survival-with-a-story in an asteroid belt or in a Europa-style sea with no surface to the water whatsoever.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'd like to see other but similarly inhospitable settings. Survival-with-a-story in an asteroid belt or in a Europa-style sea with no surface to the water whatsoever.

There's an upcoming EA game called Barotrauma which is basically FTL but with a submarine on Europa.

https://www.pcgamer.com/barotrauma-is-part-subnautica-part-ftl-and-all-gong-show/

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There's an upcoming EA game called Barotrauma which is basically FTL but with a submarine on Europa.

https://www.pcgamer.com/barotrauma-is-part-subnautica-part-ftl-and-all-gong-show/

quote:

16 people try not to die in this 2D multiplayer sub simulator on an alien world.

Eh, pass.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I want Subnautica but in space. (Like, the vacuum of space, in an asteroid belt or something.) I enjoyed driving the Cyclops enough that I'd want to see how a game with the Cyclops-equivalent as a spacecraft would work out.

I have Breathedge but they haven't yet added the Seaglide equivalent so I don't know if a Cyclops-like large spacecraft that you can walk around in is in the plans.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 2, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Barotramua has been around for a while, it's more or less SS13 in a sub.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
No Mans Sky is reasonably comparable to Subnauticas basic premise, not really directly comparable but it’s not too bad at all and might scratch that itch for a bit. There’s a decent enough story element and tech progression to be interesting for a little while.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

BattleMaster posted:

I want Subnautica but in space. (Like, the vacuum of space, in an asteroid belt or something.) I enjoyed driving the Cyclops enough that I'd want to see how a game with the Cyclops-equivalent as a spacecraft would work out.

imagine how bad the draw distance issues would be though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, definitely give no mans sky a shot if you like Subnautica. The stuff they added has dramatically changed it into something barely recognizable from the original release.