Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rittenhouse BiB is my favorite rye, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I definitely enjoy Rittenhouse over Sazerac. I'm really into High West Double Rye at the moment.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The Knob Creek barrel pick ryes are good if you can find them (not to be confused with the regular Knob rye). Bottled at 115 proof and sold at around $45. (I think rye does best at relatively high proof, whether you're enjoying it neat or mixing it.)

The cask strength special release Knob Creek rye is also solid, but it's around $55. Does come with a 9-yr age statement.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 14, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I was at my favorite local liquor store and the owner cracked open a Balvenie 15 year single cask sherry barrel (cask number was 201) to give me a taste. I prefer the non-peaty highland/speyside scotches. I used to be a big Macallan drinker and I loved the Balvenie. Very tasty and easy drinking. It's not for lovers of smoke and peat but for those who like a lighter fruit forward speyside scotch it is great.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 15, 2019

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Given the choice between Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, and Bulleit 10 for everyday sipping, any thoughts? I can get good prices on them through the local Costco, in larger bottles.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Which Knob Creek?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’d probably go knob creek, I think it remains a great value in today’s market. Especially the store picks, my local shop has a really good single barrel pick that’s over 13 years old.

120 proof, 13 year bourbon for $37.99 is pretty tough to beat nowadays.

I’d like to try the old Ezra barrel strength that is ~$40, but the availability of the KC single barrel store picks for me make them a very good go to.

That doesn’t really apply to your costco question though, I’ve never had bulleit 10, but my preference is KC over EC.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Enigma posted:

Which Knob Creek?

I think it's the 100 proof small batch.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Haven't tried Bulleit 10 but between the other two I'd go Knob.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
My brother'd gotten me a $70 bottle of bourbon for my last birthday and I thought I'd return the favor. He's more of scotch drinker though. He typically goes for Glenlivet, and I'd gotten him a bottle of their Nadurra as a best man thing which he enjoyed. I was wondering if there was anything else in the $70-$80 range that he'd be likely to enjoy. My preference would be to branch out a bit, and maybe something with a bit of age. Locally it looks like Loch Lomond 18 might be an option, though that appears to be very divisive. The local TW has Bowmore 15 "The Darkest" in that range, though I know nothing about that one. Any thoughts on those 2 or suggestions that I might be overlooking?

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Oban 14 is my go-to scotch in that range. Also bought it for a Glenlivet drinker's birthday and he loved it.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

My brother'd gotten me a $70 bottle of bourbon for my last birthday and I thought I'd return the favor. He's more of scotch drinker though. He typically goes for Glenlivet, and I'd gotten him a bottle of their Nadurra as a best man thing which he enjoyed. I was wondering if there was anything else in the $70-$80 range that he'd be likely to enjoy. My preference would be to branch out a bit, and maybe something with a bit of age. Locally it looks like Loch Lomond 18 might be an option, though that appears to be very divisive. The local TW has Bowmore 15 "The Darkest" in that range, though I know nothing about that one. Any thoughts on those 2 or suggestions that I might be overlooking?

Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 usually runs $70 to $75 and is a crowd pleaser.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
You might be able to get lagavulin 16 in that price range at costco or somewhere similar pending your state taxes

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I somehow managed to score 4 bottles of Hakushu 12 by using my state's liquor locator.

There's now a single store in the entire state with stock left. I'm considering a 6 hour round trip to go clear them out because Suntory ain't making any more.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
It’s good but seriously not like that

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Speaking of which, the rumor mill is now saying Yamazaki 12 is officially getting the axe soon. Of course it's not been easy to find for the past few years anyway, so no big change I guess.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

Speaking of which, the rumor mill is now saying Yamazaki 12 is officially getting the axe soon. Of course it's not been easy to find for the past few years anyway, so no big change I guess.

Hopefully I'll be able to trade my unopened bottle for two bottles of Lagavulin 12 or other actually interesting whiskies in a couple years.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Has anyone had Stranger & Stranger by Compass Box?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

I’d probably go knob creek, I think it remains a great value in today’s market. Especially the store picks, my local shop has a really good single barrel pick that’s over 13 years old.

120 proof, 13 year bourbon for $37.99 is pretty tough to beat nowadays.

I’d like to try the old Ezra barrel strength that is ~$40, but the availability of the KC single barrel store picks for me make them a very good go to.

That doesn’t really apply to your costco question though, I’ve never had bulleit 10, but my preference is KC over EC.

I have tried Bulleit 10, and I would go Knob. Bulleit 10 is an average tasting whiskey, I prefer a lot of other options in the $40-50 price range that I see it at. I would compare it to Glenlivet 10 as it is not bad, but it is otherwise unremarkable.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Apprentice Dick posted:

I have tried Bulleit 10, and I would go Knob. Bulleit 10 is an average tasting whiskey, I prefer a lot of other options in the $40-50 price range that I see it at. I would compare it to Glenlivet 10 as it is not bad, but it is otherwise unremarkable.

Bulleit 10 is my go to for infusions.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

zmcnulty posted:

It really bugs me that I can't find a bottle of this stuff for less than 200 bucks around where I live, especially since I wouldn't pay more than 90-100 for it even as bad as I want it

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

mp5 posted:

It really bugs me that I can't find a bottle of this stuff for less than 200 bucks around where I live, especially since I wouldn't pay more than 90-100 for it even as bad as I want it

It's more expensive in Japan

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

mp5 posted:

My local shop got four bottles in at the end of last year and marked them at $69.99. The manager gets sick of dealing with whisky nerds and people asking ‘if they have anything behind the counter’, so he’ll throw a few bottles like that close to true msrp, it’s pretty awesome.

That’s how I got two bottles of Elijah Craig 18 for $115 each.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I left a bottle of a Ben Nevis cask strength Glencoe blend in the car. It got hot, popped the cork and emptied the whole bottle over my backseat. Anyone have any whisky cleaning tips?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

pour vodka on it

edit: really though it's high alcohol (esp. cask strength) and basically no sugar, whisky is nearly a cleaning agent itself. A damp cloth should help soak some of it out but can't think of anything that's helped me in the past

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 1, 2019

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

zmcnulty posted:

pour vodka on it

A good use for vodka

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

slothrop posted:

I left a bottle of a Ben Nevis cask strength Glencoe blend in the car. It got hot, popped the cork and emptied the whole bottle over my backseat. Anyone have any whisky cleaning tips?

Your tears should be sufficient

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'd never looked for it, but of course SA would have a Scotch/whisky thread. :whatup:

I've been entertaining the idea of getting a bottle that's my age (so, casked in 1985 or older) before that gets prohibitively out of reach. The plan is to drink it (if only on big occasions), not hold onto it for trading/investing. With that in mind, getting an independent bottling seems like it might be a better investment than getting something straight from a distiller.

I'm a big fan of Islay, my favourite Scotch ever remains the Laphroaig 18. But as much as I'd like to get my grubby hands on a Laphroaig 30, those are a tad more than I'd like to pay for (at least, on Whisky Exchange) and they don't do many independent bottlings. Has anyone gone through a similar process? I'm from Canada, living in the US, so I'm not used to having way more options to choose from than the provincial liquor monopoly.

Whisky Exchange has been advertising this exclusive Caol Ila from Gordon & MacPhail, which seems to have a good reputation.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
NVM.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 3, 2019

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Jan posted:

I'd never looked for it, but of course SA would have a Scotch/whisky thread. :whatup:

I've been entertaining the idea of getting a bottle that's my age (so, casked in 1985 or older) before that gets prohibitively out of reach. The plan is to drink it (if only on big occasions), not hold onto it for trading/investing. With that in mind, getting an independent bottling seems like it might be a better investment than getting something straight from a distiller.

I'm a big fan of Islay, my favourite Scotch ever remains the Laphroaig 18. But as much as I'd like to get my grubby hands on a Laphroaig 30, those are a tad more than I'd like to pay for (at least, on Whisky Exchange) and they don't do many independent bottlings. Has anyone gone through a similar process? I'm from Canada, living in the US, so I'm not used to having way more options to choose from than the provincial liquor monopoly.

Whisky Exchange has been advertising this exclusive Caol Ila from Gordon & MacPhail, which seems to have a good reputation.

Bruichladdich has a 1985 DNA release that isn’t prohibitively expensive. You can start there.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Has anyone tried the new 12-year Bulleit Rye? Looks like it's the same 95% rye MGP mash as their usual rye. Marked at $40. Interested if anyone has opinions.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Has anyone tried the new 12-year Bulleit Rye? Looks like it's the same 95% rye MGP mash as their usual rye. Marked at $40. Interested if anyone has opinions.

I went ahead and bought it. It's OK. Definitely a step up over their regular rye in terms of complexity.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

I went ahead and bought it. It's OK. Definitely a step up over their regular rye in terms of complexity.

Can confirm this. Not sure if I'd buy it again at $40, but it wasn't offensive.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I need some help. I need a bourbon recommendation. Unfortunately, the only whiskeys I knew were Scottish single malts, and in any case my drinking days are many, many years distant.

My wife wants to get her boss a fine bottle of liquor "in the $100 range". However, the only things she knows are that he drinks bourbon and that she's only seen him drink Maker's Mark. (I have no idea if this might be a guide to potential flavor profiles, but included it because (e.g.) I always went for the peaty Scotch; not sure if bourbons have any clear subcategories like that.)

Could someone recommend a quality bourbon in like a $75-$120 range that is common enough to be found at a quality liquor store? (Seattle's the location so it's not like there's a shortage of decent stores.)

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
It's a little below your price range, but for something a bit less conventional, I heard some good things recently about Michter's US1 Sour Mash. Apparently the grain proportions in it mean it can't legally be called bourbon, but it's essentially a take on "fine" bourbon.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really like Blood Oath, which is usually around $100 in Washington. It's a little gimmicky but I think it's delicious and it come in a nice box for easy wrapping.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Admiralty Flag posted:

...only seen him drink Maker's Mark.

Makers is a wheat bourbon and you'll want to gift a wheat bourbon/whiskey as they tend to be very mild in flavor. Unfortunately I know very little about wheated bourbons except Makers and Pappy Van Winkle but I'm sure others do.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Weller and blantons are both wheated options but it's not really available at normal prices. Blantons is (retail) at the lower end of your budget after WASLT, but you'll probably have a hard time finding it. I've seen it a couple times at various places, but it's not consistently available. Weller is cheaper but also just as unavailable, and I've only ever seen weller special reserve and not regular weller. I have no real recommendations for specifically wheated bourbons because the "best" ones are all impossible to find at normal prices. Total wine has a makers barrel select and an MGP wheated bourbon from Redemption, but I haven't tried either of them.

Otherwise, you can get something like russel reserve single barrel select for that price, or you could visit the woodinville whiskey co for something local and see if they have anything selections in your price range--their normal lines are more like 45 post tax, but they may have other offerings. I don't have a huge amount of experience in the $80+ range for bourbon because there are just so many good sub-$60 options

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Admiralty Flag posted:

I need some help. I need a bourbon recommendation. Unfortunately, the only whiskeys I knew were Scottish single malts, and in any case my drinking days are many, many years distant.

My wife wants to get her boss a fine bottle of liquor "in the $100 range". However, the only things she knows are that he drinks bourbon and that she's only seen him drink Maker's Mark. (I have no idea if this might be a guide to potential flavor profiles, but included it because (e.g.) I always went for the peaty Scotch; not sure if bourbons have any clear subcategories like that.)

Could someone recommend a quality bourbon in like a $75-$120 range that is common enough to be found at a quality liquor store? (Seattle's the location so it's not like there's a shortage of decent stores.)

Thanks to anyone who can help!

A bottle of Old Weller Antique would be a good gift for a maker's drinker. I have a few bottles and can check the stores around me. They usually stock in Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Is Rebell Yell 10 Year Single Barrel still around? Despite the name is was a pretty solid wheater when I had it.