Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Time_pants posted:

I am trying to get into networking, and I'm looking for a primer on the absolute basics (which is where I'm starting from). Assume zero knowledge other than what is taught as part of the A+ certification. Is there an online resource out there that covers the beginner level in preparation for N+?

It's always DNS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Bonzo posted:

Psssst have a look at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165

https://www.professormesser.com/ is probably the most popular. Mike Myers (not the Wayne's World guy) has a series over on udemy which is probably $20 on sale right now.

These classes will assume you know what things like IP addresses, servers, and routers are. Like can you tell the difference between the three? Yes? Then you should be ok.

Sorry for posting in the wrong thread. I'll take the rest of my questions there, but I wanted to thank you for the information. I will check it out.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Our company wants to do this wifi QR code dealio with it posted in the conference rooms, maybe on table cards. Cool. They even want to change the current guest passkey, great our current one is poo poo and should be more complex. I'm now in a discussion with the execs about what it should be. It started as an awful single word with a number after it. Then one exec suggested one not too complex, but 21 characters at least. Wait that is too complicated said someone else.

We've now somehow regressed to just four numbers, the year our company was founded. My last email was basically "this is a collasol mistake but if it's what you really want just give me the go ahead"

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

siggy2021 posted:

Our company wants to do this wifi QR code dealio with it posted in the conference rooms, maybe on table cards. Cool. They even want to change the current guest passkey, great our current one is poo poo and should be more complex. I'm now in a discussion with the execs about what it should be. It started as an awful single word with a number after it. Then one exec suggested one not too complex, but 21 characters at least. Wait that is too complicated said someone else.

We've now somehow regressed to just four numbers, the year our company was founded. My last email was basically "this is a collasol mistake but if it's what you really want just give me the go ahead"

Doesn't WPA2 have to be 8 characters minimum?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Contingency posted:

Doesn't WPA2 have to be 8 characters minimum?

Yes.

Also, guest wireless should be treated as if it's already compromised and the password is just a formality to prevent random people from the street connecting to it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Do not discuss the password with execs, just set it to the right thing and move on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make up something along the lines of using the QR method requires the code to be randomly generated

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
But guys when we have a guest in and we have a meeting we can't be futzing around with them typing in a moderately complex password we have no time for that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The QR code avoids the need to plug in a password, doesn't it?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
QR code for guest WiFi seems like an idea that sounds neat and futuristic on paper but then vendors will come in and be like “what the gently caress do I do with this”

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

MF_James posted:

The QR code avoids the need to plug in a password, doesn't it?

Yes.

I used to have this at my old house because it was easier during a party. Just scan the barcode instead of asking me for the wifi password 26 times while I'm trying to watch March Madness.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
It's great for mobile devices, I don't know how/if it works on laptops, though.

Still, typing in a short phrase that is on a card directly in front of them shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A top tip would be to ensure that you don't have special characters in your proposed key that aren't common to all regional keyboards, assuming you're likely to have visitors from abroad needing to use your guest Wi-Fi.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

A top tip would be to ensure that you don't have special characters in your proposed key that aren't common to all regional keyboards, assuming you're likely to have visitors from abroad needing to use your guest Wi-Fi.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but no we don't have visitors from abroad. We are a mid-sized local family owned company. I'm also done suggesting any passwords because anything I come up with is "too complicated." They can come up with what they want at this point and I"ll just do it.

There has been talk of getting a pen-test done recently, and I have a proposal from a company. I hope they loving set the key to something loving stupid and I hope we get the pen-test done and I hope one of the first things they point out is that our wifi key was loving stupid and they cracked it in 5 minutes.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

siggy2021 posted:

But guys when we have a guest in and we have a meeting we can't be futzing around with them typing in a moderately complex password we have no time for that.

I was told my passwords were too complex. The workaround was weaker password, rotated regularly.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

siggy2021 posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but no we don't have visitors from abroad. We are a mid-sized local family owned company. I'm also done suggesting any passwords because anything I come up with is "too complicated." They can come up with what they want at this point and I"ll just do it.

There has been talk of getting a pen-test done recently, and I have a proposal from a company. I hope they loving set the key to something loving stupid and I hope we get the pen-test done and I hope one of the first things they point out is that our wifi key was loving stupid and they cracked it in 5 minutes.

Let me guess. They'll ask you to disable it during the PenTest and turn it back on once the company is gone.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Set your password to “password” it’s so simple that no one would ever guess it!!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Which manager brings their kid in on Saturday and parks them in the conference room to watch Netflix on the company wifi?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Set your password to “password” it’s so simple that no one would ever guess it!!

Mine is 12345

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

How do you know the code to my luggage!?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Bonzo posted:

Which manager brings their kid in on Saturday and parks them in the conference room to watch Netflix on the company wifi?

hahahaha I actually got a call once because the cable wasn't working in the board room and the grandkids were there and they needed to watch some Nicktoons.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

The Fool posted:

Yes.

Also, guest wireless should be treated as if it's already compromised and the password is just a formality to prevent random people from the street connecting to it.

We just leave ours wide open.

Run it through the web filter and limit the total bandwidth.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Fool posted:

How do you know the code to my luggage!?

And change the code on my luggage

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DigitalMocking posted:

Ours has a password, but this is only to stop everyone from using it. As we only want employees and vendors using it.

But it is also filtered, speed limited, and given the lowest priority.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DigitalMocking posted:

"What's to stop people from sitting in the parking lot streaming Netflix all day??!??!??" - every dumb c-level ever who can't fathom other human beings having productive lives

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It's all fun and games until that open wifi gets your office WAR CHALKED, bub

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have an all hands meeting today. Its 2 hours of boring nonsense. Being that its my first one of this kind, I am noticing a trend of things that I find both infuriating and halarious.

1: Other departments are claiming successes in my teams projects. For example, the finance team claimed a major milestone success in the office365 client upgrade. Being that the entire project from conception to execution was ONLY done by my team I am loving confused. It also doesn't have anything to do with saving money.

2: All the leaders (and i do mean all of them) who have been actively sabotaging efforts to secure our infrastructure PUT SECURITY AS ONE OF THEIR PRIMARY GOALS IN THEIR SLIDES. A SVP, who went as far as spit screaming about not wanting to reboot servers during scheduled patching, went on a rant about how important securing our systems were.

3: My CIO has been on our collective asses about how poo poo our SLAs/Uptime have been yet magically all of that data is showing green in his slides. Its magical.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Corporate IT is ridiculous. Our security team gave a presentation about how much they’ve improved things and how many vulnerabilities they remedied, and it was pure bullshit. 95% of their “success” was the retirement of some ancient servers that were just turned off. They’ve made the numbers look great but in reality they just turned a few servers off.

One thing I’ve learned is you have to play the game and get recognized. We don’t like to do that but then we sit back and wonder why we don’t get recognized for the work we do. It’s sucks that that’s reality

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

skipdogg posted:

Corporate IT is ridiculous. Our security team gave a presentation about how much they’ve improved things and how many vulnerabilities they remedied, and it was pure bullshit. 95% of their “success” was the retirement of some ancient servers that were just turned off. They’ve made the numbers look great but in reality they just turned a few servers off.

One thing I’ve learned is you have to play the game and get recognized. We don’t like to do that but then we sit back and wonder why we don’t get recognized for the work we do. It’s sucks that that’s reality

I mean, I know the bullshit involved with getting users involved to identify/migrate services running on old as hell servers that are 'just working'. Let them have their credit.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

skipdogg posted:

This is the entirety of our new directors resume. 99% decrease in data center footprint! Removed 95% incoming spam in exchange. Like...come on. It sounds impressive to non technicals but you turned off a VM and turned on Exchange spam filter.

I need to get into management ASAP

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

This is the entirety of our new directors resume. 99% decrease in data center footprint! Removed 95% incoming spam in exchange. Like...come on. It sounds impressive to non technicals but you turned off a VM and turned on Exchange spam filter.

Just got done having to force the dev team to kill or stop a bunch of VM's because their hypervisor was choking and dying due to them maxing the resources out. Where's my medal!?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

Since I've moved into management my resume is just plastered with stuff like that. Not those high of numbers, but stuff like "I gave the team in the warehouse tablets so they can record weights into SAP directly rather than on paper" became "reduced warehouse freight cost by 200k/yr through mobile weight tracking system"

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I will never understand why webex is the only platform allowed through our firewall. They have a strict no teleconferencing software rule, yet webex is explicitly whitelisted.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sepist posted:

I will never understand why webex is the only platform allowed through our firewall. They have a strict no teleconferencing software rule, yet webex is explicitly whitelisted.

CEOs spouse likes to use webex for their job. So when they come into your office every now and then, they need to be able to use webex.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hunting down old as poo poo "servers" that are running under peoples desks from like 15 years ago and running like an OG sharepoint instance or just files is a huge pain in the rear end. Ask me about working in a 50 year old research organization where all the labs have almost total autonomy but get their primary needs from a central IT organization. AND they expected us to keep them from getting virus hosed.
One scientist: I've been storing all my research on this computer for the last 10 years and it died! Help me! *computer is completely clogged with dust*

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's one reason I like PDQ Inventory. Pulls in everything that is in AD and you you can see what old poo poo exists around your network.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

Since I've moved into management my resume is just plastered with stuff like that. Not those high of numbers, but stuff like "I gave the team in the warehouse tablets so they can record weights into SAP directly rather than on paper" became "reduced warehouse freight cost by 200k/yr through mobile weight tracking system"

You're breaking even at best because it's going to cost you 200k a year because idiot fucks will keep dropping the tablets and breaking them.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I've witnessed firsthand how much end users/consultants/and contractors HATE security. I can't name names but I was once on a call with a very high ranking rep for a government agency that wanted us to introduce a bypass to a 2FA/ADFS type of log in prompt because "users will complain that they have to log in once a day".

Imagine if a G7 nation got (lol they're probably already infected) hacked because someone didn't want to sign on in the morning.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

GreenNight posted:

It's one reason I like PDQ Inventory. Pulls in everything that is in AD and you you can see what old poo poo exists around your network.

Hahaha you think this poo poo was in AD.

I loving danced out of that job.

edit: We once *mentioned* 2fa and we were basically laughed out of the room. We literally had special AD groups for PIs who insisted on having unchanging passwords n poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

Hunting down old as poo poo "servers" that are running under peoples desks from like 15 years ago and running like an OG sharepoint instance or just files is a huge pain in the rear end. Ask me about working in a 50 year old research organization where all the labs have almost total autonomy but get their primary needs from a central IT organization. AND they expected us to keep them from getting virus hosed.
One scientist: I've been storing all my research on this computer for the last 10 years and it died! Help me! *computer is completely clogged with dust*

We had a guy running an extremely bizarre and complex Access workflow that was on a desktop PC under his desk, where it would use the task scheduler to perform updates to the access DB then copy & paste that to a network share in the middle of the night every night, erasing the database on the network drive. People were making changes to the copy on the network drive and the changes would be lost every day. No one knew how it worked or is technically literate enough to notice the missing data.

This went on for 5+ years until last year when I threw a huge fit about him using a database not managed by IT, and the amount of poo poo it uncovered as we went through this process was terrible. That database is no longer here, and neither is he.