Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't ordered a 4k from Amazon yet, but if it's like the Blus, you'll usually end up at the DVD page first and have to select the Blu from that page, I can't imagine it's much different for 4k.

I feel like their movie selections are purposely obfuscated to convince you to subscribe to Amazon Prime, because the streaming selections are the easiest to find.

:emptyquote:

I mostly bought UHD from Best Buy or from Disney Movie Club. I do find it hilarious if I decide to get Little Mermaid, Wreck the Internet, and Captain America 1 on 4K from there, it actually ten dollars cheaper ordering the combo with Little Mermaid 2 on bluray then without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

:emptyquote:

I mostly bought UHD from Best Buy or from Disney Movie Club. I do find it hilarious if I decide to get Little Mermaid, Wreck the Internet, and Captain America 1 on 4K from there, it actually ten dollars cheaper ordering the combo with Little Mermaid 2 on bluray then without it.

I've had problems with my local Best Buy just not giving a poo poo about the accuracy of their website, so I swing by after work to pick up a UHD steelbook and they kinda just shrug their shoulders when it isn't on the shelf even though the website says it should be. It's pissed me off enough that I really don't feel like rewarding it by buying from them online either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I've had problems with my local Best Buy just not giving a poo poo about the accuracy of their website, so I swing by after work to pick up a UHD steelbook and they kinda just shrug their shoulders when it isn't on the shelf even though the website says it should be. It's pissed me off enough that I really don't feel like rewarding it by buying from them online either.

That's really not limited to your Best Buy, nor is it limited to any store. Just assume that all stores have an inaccurate website (because they do)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

That's really not limited to your Best Buy, nor is it limited to any store. Just assume that all stores have an inaccurate website (because they do)

It's bullshit though, don't advertise that something is at the store when it's not and then when I get there I'm told I have to either order online(they refuse to special order at the actual store) or drive like 30 miles to another store(that will probably tell me they also don't have it for some mysterious reason).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rirse posted:

I unironically kind of love how Disney uses the Vault as a way to sort of informally say which movies the current management cares about.

They care about it? Prepare to pay significant amounts of money and possibly have a hard time even finding the drat thing. They don't? It's probably in the five-dollar bin at Wal-Mart, or packed in with something they do care about, in a bundle that indicates that they see it as having negative value.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I unironically kind of love how Disney uses the Vault as a way to sort of informally say which movies the current management cares about.

They care about it? Prepare to pay significant amounts of money and possibly have a hard time even finding the drat thing. They don't? It's probably in the five-dollar bin at Wal-Mart, or packed in with something they do care about, in a bundle that indicates that they see it as having negative value.

When was the last time Fantasia been out on bluray?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

It's bullshit though, don't advertise that something is at the store when it's not and then when I get there I'm told I have to either order online(they refuse to special order at the actual store) or drive like 30 miles to another store(that will probably tell me they also don't have it for some mysterious reason).

The website keys off their inventory system, so if someone stole a copy or a damaged copy wasn’t keyed out correctly, then it’s not going to be reflected properly. It’s not someone at BBY scheming to get you in the door under false pretenses, it’s the common problems of retail.

Ultimately, with something like a UHD Steelbook, it’s frankly easier for you to order online in those situations than for them to be ordered in. Numbers are limited, etc. You’re probably going to get it quicker than they would is what I’m saying.

Also, if you’ve driven to a different store for the same item w/o calling them ahead and having them confirm its existence and/or hold it, then you might want to reconsider that approach.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Not that I disagree, but big box stores are staffed by minimum wage slaves and their masters who make only a few dollars more. Last time I went to Best Buy, there was no one at the registers for a several minutes, I was tempted to just walk out with my purchase, because I don't think anyone would have stopped me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rirse posted:

When was the last time Fantasia been out on bluray?

There was a combo pack of it and Fantasia 2000 in 2010, which you can find used for $40 and new for $120.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

The website keys off their inventory system, so if someone stole a copy or a damaged copy wasn’t keyed out correctly, then it’s not going to be reflected properly. It’s not someone at BBY scheming to get you in the door under false pretenses, it’s the common problems of retail.

Ultimately, with something like a UHD Steelbook, it’s frankly easier for you to order online in those situations than for them to be ordered in. Numbers are limited, etc. You’re probably going to get it quicker than they would is what I’m saying.

Also, if you’ve driven to a different store for the same item w/o calling them ahead and having them confirm its existence and/or hold it, then you might want to reconsider that approach.

Oh, believe me I've reconsidered that approach, this is a lesson I learned a few months ago so I know the score at this point. It's not about speed it's about convenience, I have a Best Buy right on my way home and I swing by there after work.

I understand what causes it but I don't accept it as an excuse though. If the availability of items are not accurate on the website, don't put that incorrect information up there. If it's a known problem, fix the problem.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Oh, believe me I've reconsidered that approach, this is a lesson I learned a few months ago so I know the score at this point. It's not about speed it's about convenience, I have a Best Buy right on my way home and I swing by there after work.

I understand what causes it but I don't accept it as an excuse though. If the availability of items are not accurate on the website, don't put that incorrect information up there. If it's a known problem, fix the problem.

That’s a step backwards though. They’re not going to remove an incredibly useful feature because it’s occasionally inaccurate on a BluRay. Your issue kind of cuts to the heart of why physical media is dying. iTunes or Prime don’t ever have something out of stock, or a burnt out worker to deal with. It’s the price we pay, I suppose.

On the flip side: I’m a loving goon who pre-ordered the Alien UHD Steelbook despite not having any idea what it looks like.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 26, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

That’s a step backwards though. They’re not going to remove an incredibly useful feature because it’s occasionally inaccurate on a BluRay. Your issue kind of cuts to the heart of why physical media is dying. iTunes or Prime don’t ever have something out of stock, or a burnt out worker to deal with. It’s the price we pay, I suppose.

It's not useful if it's not reliable. If I have to go to the website, see that something is apparently available, THEN call the store to confirm that, what's the point of having it on the website to begin with? Just say "contact your local store for product availability" instead.

Liar Lyre posted:

The only way to fix that problem is to do daily inventory counts of the entire store. That’s not feasible. If you really want something, do an online pick up in store. Or ask an employee to help you. They might not have the item displayed properly and it might be still in the back room. I’ve worked retail enough to tell you that most employees will help you as long as you don’t act like a dickhead.

To be clear, I'm not a dickhead to the employees, I know they aren't at fault. And you're right that several times I've asked them to check in the back and they've found what I'm looking for. But other times they haven't been able to find it and I leave without a satisfying explanation. Part of the issue here too is that as a huge corporation, Best Buy makes it impossible to contact anyone that might actually have the ability to make any changes.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 26, 2019

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Basebf555 posted:

The only way to fix that problem is to do daily inventory counts of the entire store. That’s not feasible. If you really want something, do an online pick up in store. Or ask an employee to help you. They might not have the item displayed properly and it might be still in the back room. I’ve worked retail enough to tell you that most employees will help you as long as you don’t act like a dickhead.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

...as long as you don’t act like a dickhead.

I mean, look at his avatar.

I've worked in Target and Bestbuy (for a holiday season) years ago. They do annual audits to try to keep the numbers right where they have an outside company count everything in the store, including stuff not on sale. If you've ever been in a store and you see white tags on a rack, that's what those are for. Most inaccuracies are because of theft. If it was stolen and they didn't catch it, they have no way of knowing that they now have 5 copies of a film instead of 6.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-posting from the Alien thread

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

I mean, look at his avatar.

Uhhh, that's his pineal gland. What are you, someone that has never watched From Beyond?!?!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Best Buy steelbook for the Alien 4k

:barf:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol. Have they ever seen an alien egg? Or was that just Google image result #2

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kind of looks like they just photoshopped a freshly cracked egg.

Its even opening in the wrong way!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

FilthyImp posted:

Lol. Have they ever seen an alien egg? Or was that just Google image result #2

The actual Alien movie poster doesn’t resemble an on-screen Alien egg so I’m willing to forgive it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

At this time, I’m going to assume there is some kind of metallic/holographic effect that cannot be properly conveyed by a still image. Because otherwise that is some of the goddamn worst art I’ve seen in awhile. What was wrong w the original theatrical poster? Throwback, baby!

Edit: I think it got delayed because that Friday is 4/26 aka “Alien day” because LV-426. Fox made it up around the time Prometheus came out but they like to do promotions on it, etc.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 27, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Well... the spine looks nice at least!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Basebf555 posted:

Uhhh, that's his pineal gland. What are you, someone that has never watched From Beyond?!?!

I tried but when I got to Best Buy the kid at the register told me they did have any.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like that Alien cover art is supposed to be the wonky-looking egg from the trailer, just made a bit more greebly and with a bit of slime coming off it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like that Alien cover art is supposed to be the wonky-looking egg from the trailer, just made a bit more greebly and with a bit of slime coming off it.

Why use the original poster art when they can just make a much shittier version of the same thing that is incredibly tacky and doesn't relate to the film's aesthetic at all?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The teaser/poster one just has a rough egg type texture to it, not abstract metallic upholstery.

The normal cover also has the stupid metal rainbow sheen on a Xeno, but it's at least just a regular Xeno.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 27, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Teenage Fansub posted:

The teaser/poster one just has a rough egg type texture to it, not abstract metallic upholstery.

The normal cover also has the stupid metal rainbow sheen on a Xeno, but it's at least just a regular Xeno.

Yeah, this is the version I'll be buying.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
God forbid a catalogue title have era-appropriate cover art.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

God forbid a catalogue title have era-appropriate cover art.

I honestly have no issues with updating cover art, but when it comes to the big studios, they seem to do it by a committee following the current year's artistic style guide. There really is nothing about those covers that is representative of a 40 year old movie, and it already looks dated to at least 2 years ago.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

At least it isn't floating heads.

Actually now I want a copy of Aliens with floating Alien heads as the cover.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those covers don't look all that much worse than the average Alien cover art, I've bought that movie probably 5 different times in various formats and anthology sets and the art is always pretty dumb looking. Nobody ever wants to go the simple but elegant route like the original poster.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

This literally took me five minutes:

I really love Indicator's aesthetic of using original poster artwork and modifying it to work as a cover. Nick Wrigley (who used to run Masters of Cinema) does all their graphic design and it's all gorgeous.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I honestly have no issues with updating cover art, but when it comes to the big studios, they seem to do it by a committee following the current year's artistic style guide. There really is nothing about those covers that is representative of a 40 year old movie, and it already looks dated to at least 2 years ago.

I like the way Scream Factory does it where they have a reversible cover with the new art they created and the original poster. If you have the slip cover you can have both at the same time.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I like the way Scream Factory does it where they have a reversible cover with the new art they created and the original poster. If you have the slip cover you can have both at the same time.

Arrow does this too (though sometimes neither is the original poster) and it is the best.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Best Buy steelbook for the Alien 4k

:barf:

I really don't mind the look of this and the regular 4k box art.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FancyMike posted:

Arrow does this too (though sometimes neither is the original poster) and it is the best.

I only have two or three Arrow discs, but yeah them too. I have Society but it's that limited edition on so it's just all the gross faces in a big box thing. It also helps that the new art the boutique labels usually create isn't ugly garbage that doesn't go with the movie.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 28, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Teenage Fansub posted:

I see Bolaji got into The Rock's baby oil stash

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm glad I don't own a 4K player. Looks like a puddle of guzzline.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FancyMike posted:

So does Vinegar Syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Best Buy seems to be selling off a bunch of 3D Blu-Rays for cheap. Bout to get a price match on Pacific Rim as I picked it up a little bit ago.