Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

A high school senior fell off a lift and died at Blue Mountain in PA recently. Never found out how, kinda feel like a dick for still wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ola posted:

25 years since the the Olympics at Lillehammer, lots of nostalgia on TV. Some interesting things caught my eye, like Stine Lise Hattestad who won the new, cool sport freestyle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2UZyBAFh8

Moguls and jumps on basically downhill skis is pretty funny. But the speed suit still looks great. It definitely didn't catch on, but it looks more acrobatic, it's much easier to see what's going on compared to a just a big rotating wad of Wu-Tang sweaters. She said it was extremely cold, so that's one thing. And related to how it's easier to see what's going on, her father said many were reluctant to use it because it was easier to see mistakes.

XC skating from around that time is also pretty funny to see now. They look more like alpine skiers who have to go up a little hill from the parking lot to the lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAtbi0pr-UE

Torsos are almost horizontal and there's a huge gap between the ankles at the beginning of each push. Compare to modern skating with straighter backs and ankles almost touching on each push:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si71upZigE&t=36s

Skiing has sure come along way since then.
the primal cheers for that spread eagle are adorable

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Razzled posted:

winter park was fun as hell, got to test out my new karma grip on a beautiful bluebird day
https://vimeo.com/319608926

Hey if you're still going to be there tomorrow my buddy got stuck at work, so I'll be skiing solo.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

TMMadman posted:

Hey if you're still going to be there tomorrow my buddy got stuck at work, so I'll be skiing solo.

was just a weekend thing :( wish i could have stayed longer

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

I'll probably go to Copper tomorrow, but if I end up at Winter Park I'll give you a shout on here.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Holy moly bohemia was incredible yesterday. Hero snow cliff lines for days on the half of the hill that wasn't windswept hardpack.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bohemia can be pretty magical on good seasons with good lake effect storms.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

I like Bogner
I didn't realize you were a rich Russian hookshot. :/

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I am really glad I skipped work today. Meadows got the upper mountain open for the first time in the last couple days, which meant there was a 12-18" of fresh sitting up there. I had a really nice line on Elevator, and then again lucked into another rope drop at the Twilight gate into Heather's. Heather's was only open Moon down yesterday, so everything above was wonderful, bottomless blower pow. My first lap was completely untouched and was easily the run of the season. Heather's can be so wonderful when it isn't wind-affected.

It was super cold up there. 3F at the top of Mt. Hood Express when I left in the afternoon. The snow quality was impeccable.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 27, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ugh ...

I just sat at work doing nothing until the last 45 minutes of the day. Not that it matters, the alternator went out on my wife's car so that means I had to give up my truck and ride the bus to work.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

I didn't realize you were a rich Russian hookshot. :/

Boy did you have to go back to the start of this thread for that post!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

highme posted:

Ugh ...

I just sat at work doing nothing until the last 45 minutes of the day. Not that it matters, the alternator went out on my wife's car so that means I had to give up my truck and ride the bus to work.

There will be more good days to come! And pow days haven't been as crowded lately, I've noticed. With as crazy as February has been up there, people don't seem to be as hungry for it.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That's one of my favorite things about Hood. This time of year people just stop showing up.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Mt. Bachelor got 4 feet of snow in the last 3 days and it keeps piling on. Got a phone call from my dad this morning, he was riding the chair doing laps as I sat in traffic on 405. So Jealous :argh:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Willamette pass is gonna be epic whenever hwy 58 reopens

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Saying mtns are going to be epic is bad juju

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Well, I've been at Squaw since Sunday and haven't skied at all yet. But at least my kids are stoked:

Getting a bit antsy with all the lifts closed today, fully expecting for everything to open up Friday when I have to leave

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone here been to Chamonix? I'm off there in mid march and would be cool if anyone who has been before could share their experience. I know the general layout and the number of different resorts, but any thoughts on it would be cool.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Those are really cute kids

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

Boy did you have to go back to the start of this thread for that post!
Was reading an old page accidentally but I regret nothing.

To add actual ski/snowboard content, I'm doing a long term demo of a new for 2020 board, the Never Summer East. This is Never Summer's new east coast conditions/boardercross board. It is hybrid camber, Never Summer ripsaw RCR camber but has extended camber zones with a super long effective edge right out to the blunt low rise tip and tail. It also has a new faster race base. It's meant to be a BX board or ice/hardpack east coast board. It carves incredibly and is surprisingly fun. I can get my butt skimming the ground on heel side turns and hand drag on toe side turns. It's so fast too.

The middle rocker gives it some playfulness that the full camber bx boards lack. It's way more fun than you would expect from its stats on paper. I'm definitely buying one.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 27, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Speaking of snowboard reviews, now that I've had a few proper pow days on the Burton Bottom Feeder, I can give it a big thumbs up. The float on pow is effortless; I rode with my weight back a little bit but not to the point where I was burning out my legs to lift the nose out of the snow. I didn't find myself thinking about my weight distribution at all, really. It's also a lot of fun on groomers. I can lay it down no problem since it's wide enough that I don't need to worry about toe or heel drag unless I'm pressing really hard on really soft groom. It has a flat profile up to the nose, and then a bit of rocker, but not a crazy amount. It's short enough to make really quick turns both in the trees and carving the groom.

I never thought I'd be using a 150cm board for a daily driver (I'm 6 foot and a fat 225 pounds at the moment), but this thing is so much fun for the riding I like to do.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 27, 2019

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Has anyone here been to Chamonix? I'm off there in mid march and would be cool if anyone who has been before could share their experience. I know the general layout and the number of different resorts, but any thoughts on it would be cool.

I've been there a couple of times along with Megeve. There are a lot of small areas but it's really annoying to get between them as it requires driving. I liked Brevent the best as it had variety and a decent amount of blacks. Le Tour and Les Houches are both good as well but more intermediate terrain. Grande Monet's is cool, but very limited. I personally preferred Megeve due to the variety.

I've heard that the real experience at Chamonix is to go offpiste with a guide. I unfortunately didn't try that.

asur fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 27, 2019

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Yuns posted:

Was reading an old page accidentally but I regret nothing.

To add actual ski/snowboard content, I'm doing a long term demo of a new for 2020 board, the Never Summer East. This is Never Summer's new east coast conditions/boardercross board. It is hybrid camber, Never Summer ripsaw RCR camber but has extended camber zones with a super long effective edge right out to the blunt low rise tip and tail. It also has a new faster race base. It's meant to be a BX board or ice/hardpack east coast board. It carves incredibly and is surprisingly fun. I can get my butt skimming the ground on heel side turns and hand drag on toe side turns. It's so fast too.

The middle rocker gives it some playfulness that the full camber bx boards lack. It's way more fun than you would expect from its stats on paper. I'm definitely buying one.

If I were living on the East coast, a carving board would almost certainly be the first board added to the quiver. I hope the wide / carving revolution filters into the general snowboarding image enough that some people go straight to that style and gain their control and confidence that way.

For my local conditions the Super 8 has been perfect this season. Riding deep tree pow, carving on firmer days and heading into the park when it's soft and bright. Haven't ridden any other board this season.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Has anyone skied tele on modern skis mounted at the suggested alpine location? My understanding from my tele mentors was that having the mount that far forward causes the rear ski to engage too aggressively, and on the ca. 2003 fischer big stix I learned on they skied like poo poo until I moved the mount back an inch. However I'm seeing that manufacturers are recommending a standard alpine mount these days.

I've currently got mine set up one axl holeset back from the suggested spot (~ an inch?) and it's been working mostly well for a couple years. If it doesn't screw up the tele turn too much it would be nice to get rid of some of the skiing-with-the-tails feeling during hard alpine turns.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Finally got out on the mountain this morning. KT-22 was slated to open shortly after I headed out, so jumped in a relatively short line. Was glad I did: it dumped a bunch the last few days but then the temperature spiked up a good bit early this morning and the lower elevation precip was real wet/rain. So the snow even up top was real heavy. A ton of fun for the first few runs but exhausting and fully chundered after a handful of laps.

Hoping for upper mountain tomorrow, since I gotta head out Friday morning.

First run, for those interested in such things. Nothing terribly exciting, and completely unedited because I've got no time for that poo poo. Disregard the fact that I might talk to myself while skiing.

https://youtu.be/ta6UIhP_7Hc

https://strava.app.link/IclRxsKbFU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

asur posted:

I've been there a couple of times along with Megeve. There are a lot of small areas but it's really annoying to get between them as it requires driving. I liked Brevent the best as it had variety and a decent amount of blacks. Le Tour and Les Houches are both good as well but more intermediate terrain. Grande Monet's is cool, but very limited. I personally preferred Megeve due to the variety.

I've heard that the real experience at Chamonix is to go offpiste with a guide. I unfortunately didn't try that.

Thanks for this! Yeah I think our plan is to spend a day at each of the areas so we don't have to get the bus between them in the middle of the day. Good to hear Brevent is the best because that's the one right by our hotel. Intermediate terrain is good for me since that's pretty much what I am. Our ski pass includes Courmayeur too so we might make the trip into Italy to check it out.

I'd love to do some guided off piste stuff from the top of Aiguille du Midi but we'll see how it goes!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
People are just pouring out of bear creek today like a week after that guy got killed.

*checks CAIC*
Yellow means go!!!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I mean it isn't like there is a giant persistent slab pro... Oh...

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah a 30’ deep debris pile should be a pretty good hint

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It's ok, everything dangerous already slid!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Is there any reason not to use this wax on my snowboard: https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Hyper-Universal-blend-temp/dp/B00HDNGXAS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=snowboard+wax&qid=1551410771&s=gateway&sr=8-5 ?

I don't usually bother with temp specific wax; most days up here in the PNW are in the mid-20s to low-30s. Occasionally we'll get days that are much colder, and I do ride a fair bit in the spring. I will probably get some warm wax this year to try out, too.

I'm not a wax connoisseur or anything. I mainly just want to keep my base decently fast.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I like this stuff better but that will work good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-DAKINE-Nitrous-Wax-6oz/dp/B07CQTL691

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

il serpente cosmico posted:

Is there any reason not to use this wax on my snowboard: https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Hyper-Universal-blend-temp/dp/B00HDNGXAS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=snowboard+wax&qid=1551410771&s=gateway&sr=8-5 ?

I don't usually bother with temp specific wax; most days up here in the PNW are in the mid-20s to low-30s. Occasionally we'll get days that are much colder, and I do ride a fair bit in the spring. I will probably get some warm wax this year to try out, too.

I'm not a wax connoisseur or anything. I mainly just want to keep my base decently fast.

I hot waxed mrs rex's skis with that and it applied pretty well. My board got whatever the last of the hyper stuff that came with the edge/waxing kit I bought a few years ago. It applied fine as hot wax and scraped no differently than anything else I used. Had a nice smell to it though. Didn't seem to last any longer/shorter than the Hyper stuff. If you're just looking for something cheap to toss on there for a little more protection and I guess some improved performance across flats it was fine.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

I like this stuff better but that will work good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-DAKINE-Nitrous-Wax-6oz/dp/B07CQTL691

Keep in mind that hertel has better box art than either, and also makes skis work good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good job little shredders

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/1449671747644/?jwsource=cl

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and ordered the stuff I linked to. I also got a little bit of warm wax to try out this spring. I'm not a wax Nazi. I generally ride 20 days a year and put one coat on at the start of the season and once more mid season. I mainly notice it's benefits on flats and long run outs.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Man, it's been 4-5 years since I been snowboarding. Conditions sucked in SE Michigan and I was too busy with school. But now I've graduated and moved to LA. Went to Mountain High two weekends ago and that was light years ahead of Mt Brighton or Alpine Valley back in Michigan. It was amazing but also lovely cause it had been so long since I boarded, I was having trouble with everything and the elevation definitely hosed with me. Tried a blue and it was way tougher than I expected.

Glad we went that day though, pseudo company sponsored trip to Mammoth last weekend. Mind fuckin blown :circlefap:. So much snow, so many runs, not as busy as I expected. The warm up day at High was life saving, muscle memory kicked in and I was havin a blast cuttin down some hard greens. I'm hooked again. Ikon pass here I come.

Mongoose posted:

I hope the wide / carving revolution filters into the general snowboarding image enough that some people go straight to that style and gain their control and confidence that way.

I too wish for this, but because I have giant rear end feet (size 14/15), so wider boards as standard means an easier time for me finding a board and not havin like one option per brand.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I kinda went skiing today.

https://strava.app.link/tnmH9sd4JU

I wasn't really supposed to be downhill skiing but after flat skinning for a few miles and I saw the mellow face...

My legs are in terrible condition though. I felt like I could barely ski. It was sad. Need to do a million squats or something.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Cuidado man. I have two friends who’ve fractured their tibial plateaus this year and both are back after it against their doctors’ recommendations and I get it, but you got a lot of skiing to lose if you really gently caress something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

Cuidado man. I have two friends who’ve fractured their tibial plateaus this year and both are back after it against their doctors’ recommendations and I get it, but you got a lot of skiing to lose if you really gently caress something up.

Yeah. That was my thought. I am cleared for non impact stuff. Hiking, stationary bike, elliptical, etc. So getting rowdy in the ski resort I am not doing. I was planning on just a flat skin to break in some new boots. But that little face called to me. I am going to say I didn't violate any directions from my doc.