Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
At that price point you 100% should be avoiding Volvo/Benz/BMW/Audi.

You can def get bluetooth and a decent car. You can't get android auto/apple carplay at that price point (unless you wire in your own aftermarket system in a reallly old car).

2016 Kia Forte with 60k miles for 8 grand
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

2015 camry 40k miles for 10 grand

if you need to go cheap as gently caress - 2012 focus for 5 grand. watch out for exploding trannies

wildcard choice

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If you are somewhere warm with a short commute, used nissan Leaf?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

zapplez posted:

At that price point you 100% should be avoiding Volvo/Benz/BMW/Audi.

You can def get bluetooth and a decent car. You can't get android auto/apple carplay at that price point (unless you wire in your own aftermarket system in a reallly old car).

Whats your zip code?

I'm in the Philadelphia area.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I've decided that once this Prius of mine dies, a model 3 just won't be cheap enough for what I want it to do.

I had decent fun test driving a Mustang GT Premium.

Are those garbage cars? I never got a chance to try the adaptive cruise control though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Proposed Budget: 5-10kish?
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door, maybe even a wagon?
How will you be using the car?: Beater for getting groceries, taking dog to the park, maybe driving to work on occasion.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not at this price, but a way to connect my iPhone for Waze would be nice.

I'm looking for something to use as a beater to drive around our neighborhood. I usually take the train to work, so this really just be to use to grab groceries on the occasions that I can't use my wife's car, she's on call/needs the car, etc. Is there anything that'd be better than, say, a used GTI of some sort? Am I missing something obvious? Is a Volvo/Mercedes wagon just asking for trouble at this price point? The budget is somewhat flexible, but there's a part of me that doesn't want to spend a lot of money on something we'll only be using on occasion.

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

What happened to the Cayman idea? I think you were talking Cayman. Get a Cayman S. Unless you can't stomach that for your usage. Then refer to the top of my post.

Alternate idea: I just bought a 10 year old Impreza 5 speed for my daughter to learn to drive on. It's kinda fun. But it's also really basic with no creature comforts. They are cheap, if you like doing wheel bearings.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 25, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

What happened to the Cayman idea? I think you were talking Cayman. Get a Cayman S. Unless you can't stomach that for your usage. Then refer to the top of my post.

Oh no, Cayman is happening too (again, or maybe a Boxster Spyder), but I need something I won't feel bad putting a muddy dog in to.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Oh no, Cayman is happening too (again, or maybe a Boxster Spyder), but I need something I won't feel bad putting a muddy dog in to.

Then it's the Suby. They were actually designed for that.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Residency Evil posted:

If muddy dog is actually a big deal, the Honda Element is a super reliable, beat around box suv with literally hose-able car floors.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Then it's the Suby. They were actually designed for that.

Thoughts on something like this?

https://www.fredbeanssubaru.com/used/Subaru/2006-Subaru-Impreza-for-sale-doylestown-172d31520a0e0ae87afe8cc730e434f0.htm

edit: lol

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Thoughts on something like this?...

You could also cross shop the Saabaru if you're going down that road.

https://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/d/bethlehem-2005-saab-9-2x-aero-wrxpriced/6809586134.html

Sans turbo
https://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/d/kresgeville-2005-saabaru-9-2x-impreza/6825889577.html

https://potsdam.craigslist.org/cto/d/potsdam-2006-saab-9-2x-i25/6803712723.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I mean.....I'd actually go look at that one for you first since it's 5 minutes from house.

What matters is if that's what you're looking for or not. They are basic and a known quantity while being kinda fun.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Am I remembering right that Subarus had a reputation for rusting away?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Am I remembering right that Subarus had a reputation for rusting away?

Along with Toyotas, fords, mazdas........

Choose your pain. You live in the northeast.

The Cayman won't rust out (as fast) because it's galvanized with stainless exhaust. This is not Cayman money we're talking about.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

zapplez posted:

If muddy dog is actually a big deal, the Honda Element is a super reliable, beat around box suv with literally hose-able car floors.

Honda Elements have rubber floors, but the car is absolutely not hoseable. Do not use a hose on an element interior unless you like electrical problems.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nm posted:

Honda Elements have rubber floors, but the car is absolutely not hoseable. Do not use a hose on an element interior unless you like electrical problems.

We literally did this at my work for years. Never had any problems. But YMMV. But over 250,000 km on most of the Elements and basically not a single one needed anything but oil changes,brakes and tires.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Element has a rubber piece instead of the carpet, which isn't sealed, and underneath of it same cables, wires, bolts and metal floor. Water will get trapped under rubber and just sit there, corroding everything. Just because nothing happened to your Element, doesn't mean it's cool and good to do it.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nitrox posted:

Element has a rubber piece instead of the carpet, which isn't sealed, and underneath of it same cables, wires, bolts and metal floor. Water will get trapped under rubber and just sit there, corroding everything. Just because nothing happened to your Element, doesn't mean it's cool and good to do it.

Thats good advice. Probably not a good idea to do but with the fleet at my work it was common place and never had any bad results. But yeah, don't flood the interior of your car.

But of all the cars out there, if you had to flood one. I'd pick the element.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Some pickups had (and maybe still have, though I imagine that died with the TV in the dashboard) actually hoseable interiors. Generally the base model.
If someone made a hoseable minivan, I feel like they'd be able to print money.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's not hard to make a hose-able interior, it's just hard to make it work in a street car. I rhino-lined base metal interior in my race car and left drain holes in all corners. If course it had no carpet, just rubber mats. It's pretty much how a truck bed works.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Nitrox posted:

It's not hard to make a hose-able interior, it's just hard to make it work in a street car. I rhino-lined base metal interior in my race car and left drain holes in all corners. If course it had no carpet, just rubber mats. It's pretty much how a truck bed works.

Would it be more expensive or louder or something to do it in a street car?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Any inputs on Carchex extended service warranties wrt claims processing, reliability, etc?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

Any inputs on Carchex extended service warranties wrt claims processing, reliability, etc?

I havent' heard of Carchex, but pretty much every extended warranty blows outside of the Carmax one.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I currently drive a battered, sun-damaged 2004 Elantra with about 140k miles on it. The timing belt has already been replaced, and for an old car it's quiet, efficient, and reliable. My wife's car is a 2004 Forester that can be fussy, so the Elantra is our main car for daily driving and occasional in-state roadtrips.

Out of the blue, my parents offered to sell me their 2013 Accord coupe with 42k miles for $6000. I can't find any other luxury trim 2-doors to price it by, but the market price for a 4-door 2013 Accord in my area (Tampa) seems to be around $12000.

I don't have $6000 to spare right now, but they offered to let us do no-interest payments over the next few years. On paper it seems like a bargain and an upgrade in safety/reliability over the Elantra, which it would replace. But I don't need it.

Is this a worthwhile investment, or should I just keep the Elantra until it dies?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 25, 2019

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Proposed Budget:$30K, though ~$25K preferred.
New or Used: New.
Body Style: Hatchback, compact.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver with occasional weekend trips up to the mountains or long distance trip. It’d be like 85% city driving, 10% weekend trips, 9% dirt/gravel, 1% snow.

What aspects are most important to you?
  1. Reliability, I intend to drive this thing for at least 10 years.
  2. Adaptive cruise control with low speed follow/stop and go/traffic/whatever manufacturers want to call it. I quite liked it the few times I've had to try it. I might be a bit too hung up on this one.
  3. Some power would be nice. But I drive an 09 Fit, so I probably wouldn’t really notice missing power.
  4. Automatic. I don't know how to drive stick and frankly don't think I want to deal with it given how much driving I do in the city and in traffic.
  5. Compact size. The more compact the better, I already feel that the Civic Hatchback is a bit long. But my frame of reference is a Fit, so...
Also, please disabuse me of the notion that I need AWD. I know given my needs it’s really not necessary. But living in the Seattle area, having just dealt with a snowstorm (as infrequent as they are), and seeing Subarus everywhere has made it a hard thought to let go of.

What I’ve test driven:
  • Honda Civic Hatchback: I'm leaning towards this the most. It's gots everything I'm looking for, price is not bad, and good MPG. I'm concerned about the 1.5L oil dilution issues, especially since I do a lot of short distance driving. Also I wish it had proper blind spot detection instead of the right-side only Lanewatch camera.
  • Impreza/Crosstek: Found it to a be nice ride, I liked it's driver assist features, and it has AWD. But the lack of power is annoying and I'm concerned about some of the reports of cracking windshields + cost to replace due to Eyesight.

What else I’ve considered:
  • Golf: Decided to pass, since the cheapest Golf trim that has ACC is the GTI Autobahn. Sportwagen and Alltrack have ACC, but I'm not a fan of the looks.
  • Elantra Hatchback GT: It was a nice price point and the sport trim can get ACC, unfortunately none of the dealers near me have it in stock. And I'm guessing that is unlikely to change since the 2020 refresh is in a few months.
  • Mazda3: Currently lacks ACC, though maybe it'll get it in the 2020 version. May hold out a bit longer and see if it'll release next month.
  • Toyota Corolla Hatchback: It's got ACC and it should be quite reliable. I need to go test drive it, but I'd probably just go with the Civic Hatchback instead to get the extra power if it became a choice between the two.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You $100% do not need AWD in your use scenario. It’s just extra cost, both in purchase price and in maintenance.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

I currently drive a battered, sun-damaged 2004 Elantra with about 140k miles on it. The timing belt has already been replaced, and for an old car it's quiet, efficient, and reliable. My wife's car is a 2004 Forester that can be fussy, so the Elantra is our main car for daily driving and occasional in-state roadtrips.

Out of the blue, my parents offered to sell me their 2013 Accord coupe with 42k miles for $6000. I can't find any other luxury trim 2-doors to price it by, but the market price for a 4-door 2013 Accord in my area (Tampa) seems to be around $12000.

I don't have $6000 to spare right now, but they offered to let us do no-interest payments over the next few years. On paper it seems like a bargain and an upgrade in safety/reliability over the Elantra, which it would replace. But I don't need it.

Is this a worthwhile investment, or should I just keep the Elantra until it dies?

Is it a V6 and if so, is it an auto?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

nm posted:

Is it a V6 and if so, is it an auto?

4-cylinder automatic

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Drove my brother-in-law's Crosstrek for a week and some change, while the tech stuff was very cool (compared the my car now), there isn't ant guts to the car and it doesn't have the "driving" feeling that I'm looking for. Time to look at the Sportwagen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

4-cylinder automatic

Is it the CVT or the old 5-speed? The latter combo is what I have in my '13 CR-V and to call it reliable is an understatement, since by then the port-injected K-series and 5-speed Hondamatic were as good as they were ever going to get.

If it has the CVT and the EarthDreams direct-injected K-series... I drove one as a rental once and thought it was fantastic, honestly. I don't think there's any major reliability issues with them, though I'd expect them to need an intake valve service at some point (as do all direct-injected engines that don't also have port injection).

So from an AI side, I'd take that deal easy. The BFC side, I'm personally hesitant to go into debt with family like that, but that's more of a personal question for you to sort.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If it's a 4cyl then it's fine. If it was a V6 then it probably needs a timing belt soon and your parents are trying to dump it on you before it comes up. :v:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

Some pickups had (and maybe still have, though I imagine that died with the TV in the dashboard) actually hoseable interiors. Generally the base model.
If someone made a hoseable minivan, I feel like they'd be able to print money.

The Ram C/V( the Grand Caravan panel van) has bare metal floors, but no back seats. Likely easier to find than an Element.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Unsinkabear posted:

1000% do it. They are gifting you thousands in an underpriced car. And its a good brand at that.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

.Z. posted:

Proposed Budget:$30K, though ~$25K preferred.
New or Used: New.
Body Style: Hatchback, compact.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver with occasional weekend trips up to the mountains or long distance trip. It’d be like 85% city driving, 10% weekend trips, 9% dirt/gravel, 1% snow.

What aspects are most important to you?
  1. Reliability, I intend to drive this thing for at least 10 years.
  2. Adaptive cruise control with low speed follow/stop and go/traffic/whatever manufacturers want to call it. I quite liked it the few times I've had to try it. I might be a bit too hung up on this one.
  3. Some power would be nice. But I drive an 09 Fit, so I probably wouldn’t really notice missing power.
  4. Automatic. I don't know how to drive stick and frankly don't think I want to deal with it given how much driving I do in the city and in traffic.
  5. Compact size. The more compact the better, I already feel that the Civic Hatchback is a bit long. But my frame of reference is a Fit, so...
Also, please disabuse me of the notion that I need AWD. I know given my needs it’s really not necessary. But living in the Seattle area, having just dealt with a snowstorm (as infrequent as they are), and seeing Subarus everywhere has made it a hard thought to let go of.

What I’ve test driven:
  • Honda Civic Hatchback: I'm leaning towards this the most. It's gots everything I'm looking for, price is not bad, and good MPG. I'm concerned about the 1.5L oil dilution issues, especially since I do a lot of short distance driving. Also I wish it had proper blind spot detection instead of the right-side only Lanewatch camera.
  • Impreza/Crosstek: Found it to a be nice ride, I liked it's driver assist features, and it has AWD. But the lack of power is annoying and I'm concerned about some of the reports of cracking windshields + cost to replace due to Eyesight.

What else I’ve considered:
  • Golf: Decided to pass, since the cheapest Golf trim that has ACC is the GTI Autobahn. Sportwagen and Alltrack have ACC, but I'm not a fan of the looks.
  • Elantra Hatchback GT: It was a nice price point and the sport trim can get ACC, unfortunately none of the dealers near me have it in stock. And I'm guessing that is unlikely to change since the 2020 refresh is in a few months.
  • Mazda3: Currently lacks ACC, though maybe it'll get it in the 2020 version. May hold out a bit longer and see if it'll release next month.
  • Toyota Corolla Hatchback: It's got ACC and it should be quite reliable. I need to go test drive it, but I'd probably just go with the Civic Hatchback instead to get the extra power if it became a choice between the two.

I believe the big oil dilution issue was in 2017's but I understand your hestiation. Can you get the natural aspirated engine in the Civic still?

Honestly the Civic is best in class right now for that size car. Otherwise I'd say get the Corolla they have improved a lot versus their last gen. If you want cheap go Elantra.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

4-cylinder automatic

Do it.
The by autos have some issue, but I4 autos are solid. Car will likely give you 20 years, no problem.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

zapplez posted:

1000% do it. They are gifting you thousands in an underpriced car. And its a good brand at that.

That's what I thought, I just needed a sanity check.

nm posted:

Do it.
The by autos have some issue, but I4 autos are solid. Car will likely give you 20 years, no problem.

WOW, okay. :swoon: Thanks!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Something Offal posted:

Would it be more expensive or louder or something to do it in a street car?

It's much louder, yes. But I don't know what you people do with your interiors that you need to frequently take a hose to them. Even in the above-mentioned rally car, that jumped into mud, most of the dirt was on the outside. Interior was wiped down with a towel. Unless you transporting acrylic paint in open-air containers, I wouldn't worry about it

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

.Z. posted:

Impreza/Crosstek: Found it to a be nice ride, I liked it's driver assist features, and it has AWD. But the lack of power is annoying and I'm concerned about some of the reports of cracking windshields + cost to replace due to Eyesight.

This struck me as odd because I've never paid more than $200 for a new windshield. I googled a little and it seems like if you communicate that your Subaru has eyesight they can make sure they get you the right glass.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nitrox posted:

It's much louder, yes. But I don't know what you people do with your interiors that you need to frequently take a hose to them. Even in the above-mentioned rally car, that jumped into mud, most of the dirt was on the outside. Interior was wiped down with a towel. Unless you transporting acrylic paint in open-air containers, I wouldn't worry about it

I believe the answer is children.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

do not daily a camper it is going to be vastly more expensive than slightly cheaper camper + beater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Chunjee posted:

This struck me as odd because I've never paid more than $200 for a new windshield. I googled a little and it seems like if you communicate that your Subaru has eyesight they can make sure they get you the right glass.

This depends on several factors, including whether it's aftermarket or OEM. From what I understand there's a fairly wide quality variation in replacement windshields depending on the price point. This seems no different than the eternal debate about OEM vs. non OEM for other car parts.

Driver assist features like eyesight or rain sensing wipers I believe need different windshields plus additional labor applying special optically clear glue, as they are bonded to the glass from inside. Could very well end up above $200 installed in most cities.