Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Basebf555 posted:

Clint Eastwood is a dick for a number of reasons but I think I could've done a lot worse for a horror movie partner. I'd help explain to him the rules of survival and he would punch the monsters.

If I wanted to just hang out with a decent person before we inevitably get eaten by the monsters I'd go with Lea Thompson.

Honestly, Dirty Harry vs the Evil Dead would’ve been a hell of a movie.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

alternatively really loudly go "WOW, WHAT AMAZING SPECIAL EFFECTS"

That’s how I got through Faces of Death with my 6-year-old niece (although ironically it turns out there’s a lot of the first one that was sfx)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lower on the list is Sylvia Kristel (various Emmanuelle films) and Janet Munro (The Crawling Eye/etc.) but here it is:

:eyepop: :eyepop: Sooo uhm after carefully analyzing the situation it seems like none of us are going to make it out of here alive anyway so with that incontrovertible fact in mind mind uh :eyepop: :eyepop:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Most famous for me is Kylie Minogue, so I guess if I need to stop the monster by convincing her to have an affair with it I'm covered.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Most famous for me is Kylie Minogue, so I guess if I need to stop the monster by convincing her to have an affair with it I'm covered.

LOL at having Kylie Minogue stop the monsters in any way other than getting them to all do the Loco-motion and then sneaking away.

EDIT: lol posers itt having to edit their post because they forgot the hyphen in Loco-motion.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 26, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Lower on the list is Sylvia Kristel (various Emmanuelle films) and Janet Munro (The Crawling Eye/etc.) but here it is:

:eyepop: :eyepop: Sooo uhm after carefully analyzing the situation it seems like none of us are going to make it out of here alive anyway so with that incontrovertible fact in mind mind uh :eyepop: :eyepop:

I'd watch this Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! remake.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If we can pick anyone then I pick Brian Blessed.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Honestly, Dirty Harry vs the Evil Dead would’ve been a hell of a movie.

That’s how I got through Faces of Death with my 6-year-old niece (although ironically it turns out there’s a lot of the first one that was sfx)

:yikes:

Do you still talk to your sibling??

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > The Horror Thread: I got through Faces of Death with My 6-year-old niece

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Is there actual death in faces of death?

I never watched it but I always assumed it was just a bunch of mondo b-roll

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mel Mudkiper posted:

there's a decent amount of autopsy footage, real animal violence, and at least one really nasty newsreel clip of a motorcycle accident. the staged stuff also looks like absolute poo poo, so you can basically figure anything that looks real, probably is.

e: with that said, though, I feel like having your weird uncle show it to you as a kid is probably the ideal way to have seen FoD. it's not something i'd ever suggest pushing a kid towards, but i also can't really see anyone getting much out of it beyond very morbid children (think Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes, or Wednesday Addams) and really, really hosed-up adults.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 26, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

One of the later ones opens with R. Budd Dwyer's press conference, but it's honestly all pretty tame compared to ten minutes on /r/watchpeopledie nowadays. Goddamn there's a lot of OSHA violations in India and China.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

but i also can't really see anyone getting much out of it beyond very morbid children (think Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes, or Wednesday Addams) and really, really hosed-up adults.

dont forget edgelord teens

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Easy Diff posted:

One of the later ones opens with R. Budd Dwyer's press conference, but it's honestly all pretty tame compared to ten minutes on /r/watchpeopledie nowadays. Goddamn there's a lot of OSHA violations in India and China.

i dunno, the bit in the first movie where you see the motorcyclist who crashed into a bus is... unpleasant. and real.

the faked executions are mostly just funny, though. oh noooo they pulled a guy who was halfway through brushing his teeth, squirted some red food coloring on a blindfold, and made him spit up all the toothpaste-foam, oh nooooo i'm so disturbed~

Mel Mudkiper posted:

i kinda lump them in the former category, those are basically just big Calvins

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Looks like it's me and Jake Gyllenhaal. Could be worse!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Still hoping for a Tony Todd cameo.

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1100451930717863936

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Good pick.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Peele is really doing a lot in a short amount of time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neo Rasa posted:

With a quick google, most sites give me like 20 YouTube stars :wtc:

I get the following real people that I have heard of:

Ellen DeGeneres, Paul Newman, Wayne Gretzky, Sasha Banks, and Eddie Van Halen.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Paul Newman is obviously the best choice since he would just find a way to con the ancient evil.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

there's a decent amount of autopsy footage, real animal violence, and at least one really nasty newsreel clip of a motorcycle accident. the staged stuff also looks like absolute poo poo, so you can basically figure anything that looks real, probably is.

By modern standards, it's much easier to tell what's real and what's faked. Like I said when I watched it for a challenge in the October Ironman viewing, when you're watching it on a who knows what generation VHS copy with the mythos of all this is real death back in the day before Rotten.com or Ogrish, it's a different experience.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LMAO at the posers itt showing kids Faces of Death and not the entirety of Orozco the Embalmer

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess I'm the biggest poser in the thread because I haven't even heard of Orozco the Embalmer!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I guess I'm the biggest poser in the thread because I haven't even heard of Orozco the Embalmer!

:yossame:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Paul Newman is obviously the best choice since he would just find a way to con the ancient evil.

Speaking of which I wish a movie based on Thief could be made but like just based on the original game and none of the sequels.

-film noir story structure but in a medieval fantasy setting

-industrial soundtrack/foreboding ambiance for miles

-the big bad is some rich noble dude but it turns out he has machinations that are insanely low stakes and personal by modern fantasy flick standards, he's actually an ancient force of nature tricker god sort of thing performing a crazy long ritual to open a gate and summon all this stuff so he can get revenge by....just taking control of a single city

-Various small heists in rich folks' estates but also like swanky opera houses, decrepit ruins to find odd relics/etc.

-Lots of Lovecraftian god/stuff speaking directly into one's brain/ancient ruins stuff on the fringes of the story

-Heavy metal religious zealots

-Massive cool looking locations

-The protagonist ultimately triumphs with oldest trick in the book simple stuff the bad guys aren't expecting

Fuckin' owns

Like basically there's Conan the Barbarian, Conquest, are there any other movies like this that are good?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

LMAO at the posers itt showing kids Faces of Death and not the entirety of Orozco the Embalmer

"Nah Orozco the Embalmer ain't poo poo."

"But doctor, I AM Orozco the Embalmer!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which I wish a movie based on Thief could be made but like just based on the original game and none of the sequels.

-film noir story structure but in a medieval fantasy setting

-industrial soundtrack/foreboding ambiance for miles

-the big bad is some rich noble dude but it turns out he has machinations that are insanely low stakes and personal by modern fantasy flick standards, he's actually an ancient force of nature tricker god sort of thing performing a crazy long ritual to open a gate and summon all this stuff so he can get revenge by....just taking control of a single city

-Various small heists in rich folks' estates but also like swanky opera houses, decrepit ruins to find odd relics/etc.

-Lots of Lovecraftian god/stuff speaking directly into one's brain/ancient ruins stuff on the fringes of the story

-Heavy metal religious zealots

-Massive cool looking locations

-The protagonist ultimately triumphs with oldest trick in the book simple stuff the bad guys aren't expecting

Fuckin' owns

Like basically there's Conan the Barbarian, Conquest, are there any other movies like this that are good?

Krull

Not a movie, but motherfuckin' Orc Stain

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 26, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Krull

Not a movie, but motherfuckin' Orc Stain

Krull fuckin' owns. :3:

I will look into Orc Stain.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

It’s the act of seeing with one’s own eyes but with sound and set in a Bogota slum. It’s rough

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I... don't think Moby is going to be much help to me :(

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

My Twitter Account posted:

I... don't think Moby is going to be much help to me :(

He’s a biter

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Fart City posted:

He’s a biter

Only if you're up against triffids or the thing from another world.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He has a name.

and a sweet Evil Bong avatar.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If anyone is curious here’s a really interesting 20minute documentary on the people behind the scenes of the fake segments of Faces of Death, pretty cool stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNUEaa3ZAtI

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

He has a name.

and a sweet Evil Bong avatar.

12 years old is typically considered pre-teen or "tween."

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Biomute posted:

I never read it, but I remember Abarat being pushed really hard, possibly even being considered culturally relevant.

This is from a few pages back, but yeah, when it was originally announced, Clive signed a huge deal with Disney to turn the Abarat books into movies, theme park rides, etc. Nothing ever came of it beyond the books and even those look to be unifinished, just like nearly every other series of novels from Clive. :sigh:

I'm so old I can remember when Abarat started as a series of paintings Clive did about a collection of islands where each one represented an hour of the day. Saw a few of them in person when Clive did a rare appearance for the Learning Annex in the late '90s. :corsair:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think I mostly heard of it on Loveline, but he sounded really excited with doing stuff for kids, and rising above the horror guy image with his paintings and stuff.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 27, 2019

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

I'm fairly certain I'm going to make it, but it doesn't look good for my horror buddy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnzk5qAaNLk

quote:

Sean Bean is still at the top of the list with 0.32 deaths/film, tied with Bela Lugosi, and followed closely by Mickey Rourke and John Hurt with 0.31 deaths/film. Vincent Price and Cary Tagawa are next with 0.28 deaths/film, and it decreases from there.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 26, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm fairly certain I'm going to make it, but it doesn't look good for my horror buddy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnzk5qAaNLk

What about Jessica Rothe, certainly shes gotta be up there just on the back of Happy Death Day

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Remaking Candyman jesus noooo

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I got Paul Giamatti and I will gladly lay down my life for his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
who amongst us would not die for paul giamatti