Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itsameta4
Sep 29, 2013
For permabuffs, would it be simpler just to check white / yellow / red failure rates, and only allow for white, keeping the spell cost predictable?

Flavor-wise, it fits with white spells being something you can do kind of mindlessly, with no ill-effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cardiovorax posted:

I kind of like the simulationist aspect of having ammunition that is made of actual real objects in the game instead of just an abstraction, so I don't really want it gone entirely. There has to be a better way to deal with picking all your single arrows back up, though.

picking up all your arrows is a core part of the 'simulationist aspect' of shooting a bow. i'm not sure you can count individual bits of basic ammo and somehow get rid of that part of it at the same time while still letting people sometimes keep their shots.

unless an angle is to just increase the amount of ammo overall if it's always going to mulch when it hits an enemy, at which point literally what's even the point compared to just making basic ammo infinite.

or making it so there's a chance an arrow/whatever isn't consumed when you fire based on skills or some poo poo, at which point all this is doing is just prolonging the inevitable of just having basically infinite ammo spilling out everywhere in any case so why not just cut out the middleman

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Johnny Joestar posted:

picking up all your arrows is a core part of the 'simulationist aspect' of shooting a bow. i'm not sure you can count individual bits of basic ammo and somehow get rid of that part of it at the same time while still letting people sometimes keep their shots.
Well, Okawaru's new returning ammo blessing certainly helps, if only in limited circumstances. It's no easy fix, but it's proof of concept, if nothing else.

There has to be a way to make it more convenient without also making it necessary to get rid of arrows as distinct, quasi-physical in-game objects entirely. I just can't think of an easy one right now.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Create 'arrow quivers' with their own collection of buffs? So from thereon, bows can only be +/- 5 (a number I pulled out of my rear end), and the quivers are what become Flaming / Freezing / Piercing?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
TIL that Okawaru is less impressed by me killing D10 Erolcha than he is by me killing a Two-Headed Ogre on the same floor. Yeah, sure thing Oka, the enemy that could cast LHC, Confusion, and Slow and which could've had Banishment instead is way less threatening than the thing that could hit me with two big sticks.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Teal posted:

I'm okay with the turn time! It's fine! I can work around it! I just want it to take fewer taps and I don't see how's that unjustified if we can do it on technical level without messing with the balance.

And yes I could probably do this with some convoluted macro but Crawl is a game I often load up offline on some new random setup and it's pain in the rear end to drag these around.

This is a perfect case for key macros, which DCSS supports rather well. It's totally painless, and this is coming from a guy who thinks rc files are black magic and won't even bother trying. I generally macro my blasty-mages to rebind tab into "z a ." so I can keep tabbing away recklessly.

edit: like yea, just make the singular macro when you need it. it's no big deal.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 24, 2019

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

Dachshundofdoom posted:

TIL that Okawaru is less impressed by me killing D10 Erolcha than he is by me killing a Two-Headed Ogre on the same floor. Yeah, sure thing Oka, the enemy that could cast LHC, Confusion, and Slow and which could've had Banishment instead is way less threatening than the thing that could hit me with two big sticks.

to be entirely fair, being complacent about either will get you killed and you fell into the complacency trap for only the one

i mean it wasnt armed this time, but

cant tell if im procrastinating or just doing things as fast as im able atm lmao

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Wellp, Gooncrawl's managed to get me playing crawl again. Haven't gotten very far yet, but I was never the best at this game.

Hmmm... since we're talking about potential suggestions, a couple have occurred to me. First off, as something I find personally kinda annoying I think it'd be nice if monstrous demonspawn got split off into their own race; they offer a pretty unique playstyle even without different attributes, but the 10% chance to be monstrous makes actually being monstrous annoyingly iffy if you're after it while also still being obnoxious to get if you're not. I've had both experiences. Making them their own unique thing, maybe with some variations to their "claw" mutations so they're not always encouraged to go unarmed, could be pretty cool.

... actually now I'm thinking on it, I may just try writing something up real quick. "Wildkin" as a base, super lazy name since coming up with something better off the top of my head will take too long and, y'know, whatever. Humans or elves effected by some kind of magical whammy that gradually gives them a number of mutations focused towards tearing things up in melee; lots of bonus attacks, obviously. Say 8/8/9 or 9/8/8 as base starting attributes. Neutral 0 aptitudes for fighting, unarmed, dodging, stealth and the elemental magic types, something like +1 for Evo and Invocations, -3 armour aptitude and -1 for everything else.

Probably the big issue here might be coming up with a different mutation set. That could be a bit of work.

Anyway the second thing that I would absolutely love would be the ability to set up the tiles version to show ASCII instead of sprites; I usually play in terminal since, while the sprites aren't bad, it kinda takes me out of my own imagination. It obviously not necessary, but personally it'd be nice to have most of the better UX stuff from tiles while also retaining ASCII's "imagination" quality.

Anyway uh, that's about all, really. Thanks for the gooncrawl, Flood.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

MShadowy posted:

Wellp, Gooncrawl's managed to get me playing crawl again. Haven't gotten very far yet, but I was never the best at this game.

Hmmm... since we're talking about potential suggestions, a couple have occurred to me. First off, as something I find personally kinda annoying I think it'd be nice if monstrous demonspawn got split off into their own race; they offer a pretty unique playstyle even without different attributes, but the 10% chance to be monstrous makes actually being monstrous annoyingly iffy if you're after it while also still being obnoxious to get if you're not. I've had both experiences. Making them their own unique thing, maybe with some variations to their "claw" mutations so they're not always encouraged to go unarmed, could be pretty cool.

... actually now I'm thinking on it, I may just try writing something up real quick. "Wildkin" as a base, super lazy name since coming up with something better off the top of my head will take too long and, y'know, whatever. Humans or elves effected by some kind of magical whammy that gradually gives them a number of mutations focused towards tearing things up in melee; lots of bonus attacks, obviously. Say 8/8/9 or 9/8/8 as base starting attributes. Neutral 0 aptitudes for fighting, unarmed, dodging, stealth and the elemental magic types, something like +1 for Evo and Invocations, -3 armour aptitude and -1 for everything else.

Probably the big issue here might be coming up with a different mutation set. That could be a bit of work.

Anyway the second thing that I would absolutely love would be the ability to set up the tiles version to show ASCII instead of sprites; I usually play in terminal since, while the sprites aren't bad, it kinda takes me out of my own imagination. It obviously not necessary, but personally it'd be nice to have most of the better UX stuff from tiles while also retaining ASCII's "imagination" quality.

Anyway uh, that's about all, really. Thanks for the gooncrawl, Flood.

The setting for ASCII vs Tiles happens at compile time, so you need to compile it yourself from the code (or have someone else do it for you). For online, I believe you can get the ASCII version if you ssh in instead of using the web interface.

Fayrn
Apr 5, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

unless an angle is to just increase the amount of ammo overall if it's always going to mulch when it hits an enemy

This sounds like a great alternative to just doing away with ammunition entirely.

I basically refuse to play ranged characters if I'm not ^Okawaru because dealing with ammo and random mulching is awful.

Fayrn fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 24, 2019

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

The setting for ASCII vs Tiles happens at compile time, so you need to compile it yourself from the code (or have someone else do it for you). For online, I believe you can get the ASCII version if you ssh in instead of using the web interface.

There's also a setting somewhere to use webtiles but have images of characters for the tileset.

Well, this was my worst tournament since 0.11. 1 win, 3-4 splats. Didn't have a ton of time to play between work, exhaustion, and other hobbies and was very rusty, but still. Taking chei + gong on the TrFE (nemelex choice) wasn't the best idea, but it was the best idea.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The command is

code:

make --TILES=yes

for compiling with tiles. Just put any multicore switch you might want to use after that and it works just fine.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think you guys kinda misunderstood, I meant ASCII graphics with the tiles interface. Right now (afaik) it's one or the other, ASCII in a terminal window or the tiles with all it's nice UX stuff.

... though I guess I could just replace all the tiles with ASCII symbols or something before compiling.

ANYWAY, I'm gonna try implementing this idea of mine; looking through the source it looks like I'd need to fiddle with species-def, species-type, mutation-type, mutation-data and probably at least one of the player files. Probably missing something else besides though.

e: actually I can just look through the git and see what got added/edited with the Skeletons getting added, so never mind.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 24, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

... though I guess I could just replace all the tiles with ASCII symbols or something before compiling.
Yeah, you'd basically have to do that. The tiles version is not built to use anything other than graphical tiles, so the question didn't really make any sense. I think there actually is a pre-made ASCII tileset around somewhere - but why you'd want to give up on the biggest advantages of the tiles version, like actually seeing at a glance what a monster is carrying, that's kind of beyond me.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

... but why you'd want to give up on the biggest advantages of the tiles version, like actually seeing at a glance what a monster is carrying, that's kind of beyond me.

I mean, the answer is that I find the tiles kinda distracting, and that annoys me; normally I'm just sort of passively visualizing what's going on, but the tiles kinda clash with that since it's not really what I imagine these things look like. Except the Ogres. They're perfect.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, to each their own. I personally don't find the interface of the tiles version that much more usable aside from that part.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

MShadowy posted:

I think you guys kinda misunderstood, I meant ASCII graphics with the tiles interface. Right now (afaik) it's one or the other, ASCII in a terminal window or the tiles with all it's nice UX stuff.

No, I was talking about using webtiles to play with text graphics. That said, webtiles is not the same as offline tiles so it's possible that whatever improvements you want aren't there.

I looked up the option for it :
tile_display_mode = glyphs
hybrid instead of glyphs adds some status icons.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

MShadowy posted:

Ogres. They're perfect.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

crawl is one of the cases where tiles literally do give more info at a glance than ascii

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They do admittedly take some getting used to, though. I used to play text mode too and it took me years after tiles started being a thing to finally decide on actually using them. I still basically use ASCII inputs, with plenty of macros.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Didn't manage to get an update out this weekend. I'll try over the week to finish it up.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Speaking of, I’ve never been able to pull off SSHing in to CBRO. Is there some trick to it? Really all I want to do is use vim to edit my RCs.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
How do I play gooncrawl online? I went to the thread here, but neither of the linked servers seem to have a gooncrawl option.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

How do I play gooncrawl online? I went to the thread here, but neither of the linked servers seem to have a gooncrawl option.

Tournament just ended, so it takes some time for the server operators to bring forks back online.

That thread is a bit out of date since I don't log onto Tavern that much, so I would follow the second post of this thread instead.

Edit:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Speaking of, I’ve never been able to pull off SSHing in to CBRO. Is there some trick to it? Really all I want to do is use vim to edit my RCs.

I don't ssh into the servers, so best I can help with is a link to the how to page:
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 26, 2019

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You're probably just missing the keys, goatsestretchgoals (ew that hurt to type).

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Infinite Monkeys posted:

X-crawl has gooncrawl, it's in the op

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Tournament just ended, so it takes some time for the server operators to bring forks back online.

That thread is a bit out of date since I don't log onto Tavern that much, so I would follow the second post of this thread instead.

Edit:

I don't ssh into the servers, so best I can help with is a link to the how to page:
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto

Thanks, but that just means I can't log in and gently caress with my RC files on the host (generic login/SSH key). I still prefer WebTiles. :)

odiv posted:

You're probably just missing the keys, goatsestretchgoals (ew that hurt to type).

:D

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

this seems like a pretty brutal d8

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

nerve posted:

this seems like a pretty brutal d8

wtf is that death yak tile

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Internet Kraken posted:

How long have you been told to play gooncrawl

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

nerve posted:

How long have you been told to play gooncrawl

Is that tile a GC unique? I coulda swore I saw it in the mainline stuff back when I actually played it.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Its fur is covered in adventurer blood, it's perfect

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

FulsomFrank posted:

Is that tile a GC unique? I coulda swore I saw it in the mainline stuff back when I actually played it.

It was designed in this very thread last year I believe

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The regular death yak tile is better. I don't like change :colbert:

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
it was changed to make them more obviously dangerous to more inexperienced players iirc

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

quote:

29389 | D:15 | Noticed Louise
29389 | D:15 | Cast into level 3 of the Abyss (Louise)

Man, and that HCCj run was going so well, too. Oh well.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Still couldn't get an update out from myself this weekend (mostly because I felt lazy as hell), so I merged JonJoe's artifact changes PR.

It's mostly artifact changes from Trunk that I would have just pulled over because they all sounded cool and it's unrandarts so I'm not that concerned about balance; also some minor number tweaks on others. Just shout out if you think any of these are bad and I'll revert them for a proper vote later:

• Robe of Clouds loses +Fly, gains Evoke Thunderclouds ability (what it says on the tin).
  • Singing Sword is now Vorpal branded and only sings when you successfully hit enemies (but does more damage when it happens). It's also easier to get to higher levels of singing/screaming.
  • Wrath of Trog now gives +10 Strength
  • Sword of Power now gives HP +20
  • Vampire's Tooth changed from a +4 dagger to a +12 quick blade
  • Scepter of Torment now has an eveningstar base, will no longer apply torment to the wielder, triggers torment on 20% of hits instead of 50% (to make up for no longer hurting the wielder), and is also pain branded.
  • Sword of Cerebov now gives rF+++
  • Staff of Dispater now gives +4 AC
  • Finisher now has the 'eviscerate' trait that gives it the chance to instantly kill enemies (based on HD: 25% for low HD popcorn to 10% for OOFs), loses +3 Strength
  • Glaive of the Guard is now Protection branded instead of Electrocution, gives +8 AC instead of +5, and gains Clarity and rCorr
  • Eos goes from +10 to +11
  • Spriggan's Knife always treats any type of stab as a 'sleeping' stab for damage
  • Shield of Ignorance is now Protection branded
  • Robe of Misfortune is now +5 instead of -5, loses the EV and Stealth penalties, and gives {harm, *mutate, *drain, *slow, *corrode} instead of the giant list of awful stuff
  • Lear's Hauberk goes from +27 to +33 and gives cloud immunity
  • Ratskin goes from +1 Dex to +2
  • Ring of Phasing, Ring of Robustness, and Brooch of Shielding bonuses go from +8 to +9
  • Devastator's base delay is reduced by .2
  • Moon Troll leather armor goes from Regen++ to Regen+++
  • Arc Blade goes from +4 to +8. The static discharge effect it has is changed to actually cast a high power static discharge to hit multiple adjacent monsters instead of only shocking the target monster multiple times and hoping it arcs over (AKA, worse single target, better AoE). Static discharge effect still bypasses AC, only checks rElec.
  • Kryia's mail goes from Device Heal*2 to Device Heal*3
  • Skin of Zhor now has a chance to cast Metabolic Englaciation passively whenever monsters are in view, and gives SInv
  • Added demon trident "Rift": a +8 distortion branded trident with reach+ (can attack from up to 3 tiles away instead of 2 like other spears)

Still need to get together a poll for species merging from JonJoe (abomination) and Tollymain (a bunch of stuff) at some point.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 5, 2019

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Floodkiller posted:

Still couldn't get an update out from myself this weekend (mostly because I felt lazy as hell), so I merged JonJoe's artifact changes PR.

It's mostly artifact changes from Trunk that I would have just pulled over because they all sounded cool and it's unrandarts so I'm not that concerned about balance; also some minor number tweaks on others. Just shout out if you think any of these are bad and I'll revert them for a proper vote later:

• Robe of Clouds loses +Fly, gains Evoke Thunderclouds ability (what it says on the tin).
  • Singing Sword is now Vorpal branded and only sings when you successfully hit enemies (but does more damage when it happens). It's also easier to get to higher levels of singing/screaming.
  • Wrath of Trog goes from +8 to +10
  • Sword of Power now gives HP +20
  • Vampire's Tooth changed from a +4 dagger to a +12 quick blade
  • Scepter of Torment now has an eveningstar base, will no longer apply torment to the wielder, triggers torment on 20% of hits instead of 50% (to make up for no longer hurting the wielder), and is also pain branded.
  • Sword of Cerebov now gives rF+++
  • Staff of Dispater now gives +4 AC
  • Finisher now has the 'eviscerate' trait that gives it the chance to instantly kill enemies (based on HD: 25% for low HD popcorn to 10% for OOFs), loses +3 Strength
  • Glaive of the Guard is now Protection branded instead of Electrocution, gives +8 AC instead of +5, and gains Clarity and rCorr
  • Eos goes from +10 to +11
  • Spriggan's Knife always treats any type of stab as a 'sleeping' stab for damage
  • Shield of Ignorance is now Protection branded
  • Robe of Misfortune is now +5 instead of -5, loses the EV and Stealth penalties, and gives {harm, *mutate, *drain, *slow, *corrode} instead of the giant list of awful stuff
  • Lear's Hauberk goes from +27 to +33 and gives cloud immunity
  • Ratskin goes from +1 Dex to +2
  • Ring of Phasing, Ring of Robustness, and Brooch of Shielding bonuses go from +8 to +9
  • Devastator's base delay is reduced by .2
  • Moon Troll leather armor goes from Regen+ to Regen++
  • Arc Blade goes from +4 to +8. The static discharge effect it has is changed to actually cast a high power static discharge to hit multiple adjacent monsters instead of only shocking the target monster multiple times and hoping it arcs over (AKA, worse single target, better AoE). Static discharge effect still bypasses AC, only checks rElec.
  • Kryia's mail goes from Device Heal*2 to Device Heal*3
  • Skin of Zhor now has a chance to cast Metabolic Englaciation passively whenever monsters are in view, and gives SInv
  • Added demon trident "Rift": a +8 distortion branded trident with reach+ (can attack from up to 3 tiles away instead of 2 like other spears)

Still need to get together a poll for species merging from JonJoe (abomination) and Tollymain (a bunch of stuff) at some point.

Just a heads up, this broke building from source because Harm isn't defined in the artifact properties. (Looks like a commit that was only made to the main branch a few months back?)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

Just a heads up, this broke building from source because Harm isn't defined in the artifact properties. (Looks like a commit that was only made to the main branch a few months back?)

D'oh, knew I forgot to do something, thanks. Cherry-picked that in and rebuilding, but I'll have to check when I get up tomorrow before work to see if there are any other quick build errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hahahah whoooo, "Not concered about balance" indeed! That staff of torment change is bonkers, I love it