Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Javid posted:

Man, I've been bleeding from an open head wound in an empty ER lobby and they still took ten hours to get me in front of a doctor for ten seconds. You MUST look hosed up if they took you in right away.

I look like a million bucks! Gave me tetanus shot coming to get me for scan soon. They just said fast track me nothing to worry about right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

tetrapyloctomy posted:

This is the same post-hoc-ergo-propter-hoc error that causes people to blame their amputations on starting insulin, not the uncontrolled type II diabetes that led to the insulin being prescribed. Barring medical error, if your uncle required a ten-day hospitalization, the problem wasn't that he went to the hospital. I've seen this cognitive error kill plenty if people over my relatively short career, and increase the severity of disease for many, many more.

...And now I want to watch West Wing again.

edit: ED located in the ED: I'm sure you're largely a-OK. No one screws about with potential head trauma. Take it for what it is. We're just glad you're getting checked. Yeah, it might just end up being an inconvenience, but on something like this, better safe than sorry.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Beverly Cleavage posted:

...And now I want to watch West Wing again.
It's hard to top a character introduction like the "I am the Lord your God" scene, and "Two Cathedrals" might have one of the best scenes in broadcast television history.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sadly, in the US, cost always plays a factor in decisions to visit the hospital, especially the ER, and even just a GP. It’s criminal that it is even a consideration - we’re deathly afraid of the hospital driving us into bankruptcy.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

everdave posted:

I look like a million bucks! Gave me tetanus shot coming to get me for scan soon. They just said fast track me nothing to worry about right

Any particular reason that they gave you a tetanus shot for a head injury, or was the doctor just bored?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have no idea I’ve really never been sick or been to a hospital other than having kids in 30+ yeara

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

everdave posted:

Might as well shitpost while I’m here

We've been lied to! All these years and it's actually everDavid!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Door Frame posted:

Any particular reason that they gave you a tetanus shot for a head injury, or was the doctor just bored?

When I was hit by a car, the doctor told me that basically do it for any impact if your tdap hasn't been for 5 years (even though tdap lasts 10 years).
It's all precautionary, costs almost nothing (or IT SHOULD), and tetanus is nasty.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oddly, the one time I would have expected the ER to shove me kicking and screaming into one of those fancy body scannin' tubes against my will, they didn't. I fell off a ladder and landed on my feet, immediately rolling onto my back. They heard "fell off ladder" and immediately asked me about 15 different ways if I might have struck my head, and only when I could answer all the questions while also asking when they were going to put the broken chunks of my forearm back together did they believe me that no, I didn't hit my head. I imagine there was a very sad tube scanny machine operator that day.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is why you wear helmets, but these days wearing helmets and pads apparently makes you a pussy and uncool. Any day i go to a skatepark maybe 20% of the kids are wearing helmets. Back in the 80's when I skated parks EVERYONE wore a helmet and full pads, and I would still see guys get knocked unconscious after their head bounced off the concrete like in this video...

Yeah, we started wearing them after that. I go to a skatepark MAYBE once a year now, because I'm only interested in bowls (and moto poo poo is more fun) and there's only a couple around that have any, but I always have my helmet and giant chunky knee pads now. Even thinking about wrist guards because I inevitably biff it from a considerable height and feel like my palms and wrists are broken for a week.

Plus, my helmet is all sparkly and gold now because I spray painted it for a Legends of the Hidden Temple costume last Halloween! :sparkles:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

We've been lied to! All these years and it's actually everDavid!

Ha!

And to hopefully end this chapter, the hospital and everyone there was amazing, and they have cleared me. All scans were clean.

I sincerely thank everyone for care and advice, it just doesn't make sense not to go get checked out.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

worst goatse ever
(Gl everdave hope ur noodle's ok)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

Yeah, we started wearing them after that. I go to a skatepark MAYBE once a year now, because I'm only interested in bowls (and moto poo poo is more fun) and there's only a couple around that have any, but I always have my helmet and giant chunky knee pads now. Even thinking about wrist guards because I inevitably biff it from a considerable height and feel like my palms and wrists are broken for a week.

I wish there were pads for ribs because the last two times I ate poo poo, my right elbow got slammed right into my ribs and I'm currently trying not to laugh/cough/sneeze/breathe because it hurts like hell.

My head is ok tho :)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
They make rib pads for football, I've worn them playing hockey a few times

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh yeah, pretty sure they call it a Flak Jacket or something.....QBs tend to wear them, might have to look into that if they aren't too expensive. My body is getting too old for this poo poo, but it's just one of those things that's super fun for me and I'm gonna keep doing it until I can't, especially when my son wants me to.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that my offer still stands until the 28th!

MrChips posted:

I made a donation to my local women's shelter, and I'm going to do one more thing - for every person who posts a donation receipt in this thread between now and February 28th, I will make an additional donation of one dollar each. I don't care if you donate one dollar or one million dollars, it will still count.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol if you get on a skateboard or roller skates or blades or skis or a snowboard and you don't look like a bomb squad guy in your padding

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's what people that don't know what they are doing should look like at least.....The new park by my house has a giant bowl that's probably 15 feet deep with four to five feet of vert, and I watched some kid with nothing but shorts and shoes on drop in, go up the wall, misjudge his speed and fly off his board straight to the floor with a loud SLAP. Not too bright, kids these days.

Back in the day dudes literally looked like hockey players with all the padding that was worn.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh yeah, pretty sure they call it a Flak Jacket or something.....QBs tend to wear them, might have to look into that if they aren't too expensive. My body is getting too old for this poo poo, but it's just one of those things that's super fun for me and I'm gonna keep doing it until I can't, especially when my son wants me to.

Think it was like 25 or 35 ish was made by reebok and could hide under a shirt well enough. I'm too little and old to bust ribs playing ice hockey over 35

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zoombang makes them as well.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Safety gear? I've got a mesh cutoff shirt on, mom, also my tight knee-length hawaiian shorts, checkerboard Vans with no socks, and some "Nike" wristbands. I'll be fine

<does a backflip over a homemade dirt bike jump on a 1989 Haro GT>

update: it was an '85 but I had blue grips and a green seat

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 27, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hello me 30 years ago, you got one hell of a ride coming up, do some sweet jumps

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Sounds sorta like an AA/NA/whateverA thing, Probably easiest just to put together a quick, "Thanks for reaching out, and I wish you luck wherever you go from here," response and move on (without accepting the friend request).

Yeah, that's the not the right way to do step 9. But the advice above is the best way to handle it.

(19 years sober in May. In some ways it gets easier, in others it's still tough)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

lol if you get on a skateboard or roller skates or blades or skis or a snowboard and you don't look like a bomb squad guy in your padding

What if you play roller derby, or as the cool kids call it practice lesbian, in a rec league? Should we wear bear suits?

Edit: vvvvvvvv perfect avatar/post combo.

keykey fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 27, 2019

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

MrChips posted:

I made a donation to my local women's shelter, and I'm going to do one more thing - for every person who posts a donation receipt in this thread between now and February 28th, I will make an additional donation of one dollar each. I don't care if you donate one dollar or one million dollars, it will still count.

I'm not an AI regular at all, but I did follow along and sent a small care package out to the truck in a field. I checked in on the closed thread to see what happened, and... :stare:

I guess redemption's not for everyone.

This felt like the least I could do; I'm glad I caught up when I did.

e: let me resize that; it came out bigger than I wanted

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

Just a friendly reminder to everyone that my offer still stands until the 28th!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, cool, some asshat is being an LOL forum automotive internet expert on the video I put up years ago of my Crown Vic being dyno'd. He didn't take well to gentle correction from an adult (ostensibly me.) Internet fight!
Actually, I'm too tired to duke it out with him, and will probably delete the fool. Unless one of you is feeling feisty and wants to pick on him, but then you'd be an comment on a YouTube video, so...
Some days I hate the internet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHRoY9el_U

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

Oh, cool, some asshat is being an LOL forum automotive internet expert on the video I put up years ago of my Crown Vic being dyno'd. He didn't take well to gentle correction from an adult (ostensibly me.) Internet fight!
Actually, I'm too tired to duke it out with him, and will probably delete the fool. Unless one of you is feeling feisty and wants to pick on him, but then you'd be an comment on a YouTube video, so...

Oh wow what a loving idiot

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fess up, which one of us is it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I had something really strange happen with my cell, a Moto G5S+. it's been a good phone and I've not had any issues, but for some reason one of all my texts with a contact of mine is gone. A text with tons of photos, info, etc, it's just gone. I guess it's possible I deleted the thread by accident, but I really don't think so.

I do know my phone did some pretty major updates a couple days ago so my guess is it might have something to do with that.

Is there anyway to recover something like this? A search for it turns up shady as hell looking websites that just want you to install their software and it'll do everything.. including probably malware the gently caress out of your computer.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Darchangel posted:

I don't understand why he cares enough to be such a tool about it, it's a 4 year old video of a car being dyno-d with like 6k views. It's not exactly prime trolling real estate

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

slidebite posted:

So I had something really strange happen with my cell, a Moto G5S+. it's been a good phone and I've not had any issues, but for some reason one of all my texts with a contact of mine is gone. A text with tons of photos, info, etc, it's just gone. I guess it's possible I deleted the thread by accident, but I really don't think so.

I do know my phone did some pretty major updates a couple days ago so my guess is it might have something to do with that.

Is there anyway to recover something like this? A search for it turns up shady as hell looking websites that just want you to install their software and it'll do everything.. including probably malware the gently caress out of your computer.

Have you checked if it's in your archived messages? I accidentally swipe poo poo off so it's not active all the time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Door Frame posted:

I don't understand why he cares enough to be such a tool about it, it's a 4 year old video of a car being dyno-d with like 6k views. It's not exactly prime trolling real estate

He is Angry on the Internet, and now on the defensive because someone called him out. That comment section is now his hill to die on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Have you checked if it's in your archived messages? I accidentally swipe poo poo off so it's not active all the time.

Yeah, I did thanks. Nothing in my archive folder at all.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good english naming strategy, chinese exercise bike company

apologies for taking a photo while riding, unsafe

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Turns out the clinic I use has an incredibly fast turnaround on labs - I got the blood draw around 3:30 or 3:45 yesterday. I got two emails today - one at 8:15am, one at 10:45am, saying I had new test results in their patient portal. Not even 24 hours.

Did... did they mix up my bloodwork with someone else? Because my bloodwork hasn't looked this good since I was diagnosed as adiabatic. For that matter, since I was like 25.

2 years ago, my doctor-at-the-time was saying I was in stage 3 kidney failure, my cholesterol was horrible (especially triglycerides - I think they were well over 1000), and my bloodwork generally looked rough. At the time I was on a statin, but aside from removing the statin (my own decision, I'd heard they were rough on the liver and kidneys), the important meds haven't changed (a couple have been added, but they're not related to the beetus or blood pressure). My A1c was also in the 7s, but the previous round of bloodwork to that one had it right where it is now; previous doctor thought that meant he could pull me off of one of my meds (I went back on it after that).

Yesterday's bloodwork shows my A1c levels at pre-diabetic levels (5.8), fasting glucose was right at 100, LDL is perfect, HDL slightly low (gives me an excuse to put avocado and/or guacamole on ALL THE THINGS), overall cholesterol good. Kidney and liver levels right where they should be, no protein in the pee (protein in yer piss is one sign that yer kidneys be hosed from the beetus). Had him throw in a thyroid test as well, since thyroid issues run in mom's side of the family. Totally fine there too.

Only changes? I cut WAY down on drinking (still drink daily), upped my fiber intake, and stopped taking Lipitor. I'm gonna guess it's the significant reduction in drinking that brought everything back to (relatively) normal, not sure if stopping the statin had anything to do with it. Only a couple of things that were very slightly outside of normal, but my doctor wasn't concerned with them.

I'm stoked. I feel a shitload better these days. And my insurance company even paid me $50 for getting a physical (posted today - can be used for rX, doctors bills, insurance premiums, or at Walmart - applied it toward my insurance premium).

Then of course someone had to go and gently caress up my day. Tried to pay for my groceries with my debit card tonight, self checkout popped up in huge red letters "DECLINED - POSSIBLE FRAUD", which got a "what the hell? I've never seen that before" from the self check attendant (she had to come over and clear the message - good thing I'm in there often enough that we're on a first name basis I guess). Dafuq? Paid with a CC instead, tried the ATM in the store to check my balance, and..... "YOUR BANK REQUESTED CARD BE DETAINED". Great, so now the physical card is gone too. My CC is at its limit, I'm gonna have to go to the branch in person to get cash instead of swiping everywhere. And I'm gonna see if they can figure out WTF happened. I had requested a new card last week because mine cracked, but that was last week.... and I was told my current card would keep working until I got the new one (used it a couple of times today w/no problem).

Just glad my bank has a physical presence here - they're primarily online. I have a second checking account with another bank (Wells Fargo) that I use just enough to keep from getting hit with fees on, I'll pull cash out of my main bank and throw it into WF for now. Ironically, both my bank and the nearest WF branch are across the street from each other.. and they're also both on the street I live on.

slidebite posted:

Are you using the stock messaging app? If so, it's straight up Android Messages. There's a way to enable a web interface with it, you might find the messages there. Top right corner, tap the 3 dots, select "Messages for web", and on your PC, go to https://messages.android.com. It'll give you a QR code to scan.

See if the messages show up there. If they don't, then yeah, they're gone. :smith:

e: basing this on my G5+, but Moto has stuck with vanilla Android for the G series.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 27, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Door Frame posted:

Welp comment is gone now.

Damnit I was just warming up

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

everdave posted:

Can you expand on this? I got up and dressed after kids were asleep last night but my mom begged me not to go to ER. I have not been nauseous just a headache. I am at work and I seem alright. I do my best to avoid medicine so I don't know if that would help (Ibuprofen, etc... since they told me I was allergic to aspirin as a kid)

My post was more about the silly attitude people have to repeated brain trauma (boxing, riding bikes without helmets, smashing their head when drunk because it's fun etc). In your case the main worry is (most of the time) subdural hematomas that can expand and squeeze the brain, but I see you did the right thing and went and got scanned it was clean so that's great!

You shouldn't worry about my post, the things I've seen is people who are coming to the psychiatric specialty because their life isn't working and no one has understood why. Many of these have previously been diagnosed with stuff like bipolar disease and/or psychosis but not getting better. My point is, be careful with your brain!

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Any Dream Theater fans?

My Yellow vinyl edition came in:

(poo poo pic but gently caress it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slidebite posted:

This won't help you get it back but will help in the future, I use SMSbackup. Have it set to run every night at 1am if the phone is on the charger. It backs up SMS to your gmail account in a SMS folder. I actually really handy to be able to search through text messages and it saves the photos as a bonus.