Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Why would you stamina potion a single card?

It's two cards, I didn't play a persistent or loss. And in this case, because it will let me beat that exact card in case the hounds flip it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Car Hater posted:

It's two cards, I didn't play a persistent or loss. And in this case, because it will let me beat that exact card in case the hounds flip it again.

Oh poo poo I got the cards wrong :doh:. Yeah good call. Good call dropping Balanced Measure too. That card is...... sub-optimal in this scenario.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I can act very fast and damage/stun dog 6 and then move up and kill the elite, so even if the hounds act fast again at worst we should take 1 attack.

DarthRoblox fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 23, 2019

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

DarthRoblox posted:

I can act very fast and damage/stun dog 6 and then move up and kill the elite, so even if the hounds act fast again at worst we should take 1 attack.

Can you dash for the door instead of going after the elite? I should kill it and the normal next to it quickly, and having the door open/enemies coming towards us maximises my effectiveness turn 3

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 23, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Stamina Potion would only get back Provoking Roar. You have to use it on your turn, and Eye for an Eye only does anything while it's in your active area.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I could, potentially, but with the mechanics of the boss it feels risky to open the door immediately vs. next turn. I'm 5 away, so I'd have to use two movement cards to get there and probably burn my invisibility cloak charge, in which case the enemies wouldn't move towards us anyways. There's also a 2/3 chance of either the boss summoning additional scouts and powering himself up, or giving all the scouts a double move. Given the number of obstacles, I'm assuming that at least some of the scouts are going to be down side passages - two free moves could be enough to let them move out and get in the way.

If we want to commit to killing most/all of the scouts and hoping the boss doesn't summon too many that could work, but I could also sneak in and abuse some invisibility to deliver a lot of damage to the boss with some backup from Rocky's ranged attacks. It's a small map so I'm more worried about exhausting from being too aggressive and taking damage than I am about running out of turns. If you and Rocky can move up towards the door after killing the dog/s next to you, we can open it quickly next turn and avoid wasting a turn.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Phelddagrif posted:

Stamina Potion would only get back Provoking Roar. You have to use it on your turn, and Eye for an Eye only does anything while it's in your active area.

You are actually correct. Although, since this was my mistake (and I have already corrected the sheet, received orders and partially set up the next update), we'll keep things as they are.

Cards in the active slot are considered to be either in the discard or lost pile; you can recover an active slot card, if it is discarded after the effect is over, and the effect will persist IF the card is providing a token (IE: invisibility or strengthen)...but the effect would cease if it's something like shield or retaliate.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 23, 2019

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The crowd wanted a Rocky Punch and I intend to try and deliver. I'd like a turn of relative downtime too and for someone to open the door as action 1 on a turn.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Ohhhh wait, eye for an eye does roll to the end of the round duh. That is my bad, happy to cancel that and do something else to keep the rules right seeing as this turn hasn't actually happened yet.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 24, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Diamond Mine Round 2A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- Bullwinkle loses Balanced Measures to prevent lethal damage!

I've reverted the usage of Minor Stamina Potion since I've received an acknowledgement and new orders from Car Hater :)

ROUND REVEAL posted:

These doggos may go down, but they'll make sure they'll be annoying af before that happens. They're all good boys
"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand8, Discarded1, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 8 with Perverse Edge and Scurry.

8. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (DarthRoblox) posted:

code:
"PERVERSE EDGE (08) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - Add +2ATK and gain XP1 for each negative condition on the target - LOSS
BOT: ATK1, Range2 - STUN - Generate ICE - XP1"

"SCURRY (20) [Lvl1]
TOP: MOVE3 - ATK1
BOT: LOOT2 - XP1 - LOSS"
Rocky (Hand9, Discarded1, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 29 with Rumbling Advance and Crater.

29. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (MarquiseMindfang) posted:

code:
"RUMBLING ADVANCE (29) [Lvl1]
TOP: HEAL4, Range2 - Generate EARTH
BOT: MOVE2 - All adjacent allies and enemies suffer 1 damage - Generate EARTH"

"CRATER (61) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, Range3 - Consume EARTH: PUSH2, XP1
BOT: All adjacent allies and enemies suffer 1 damage - MOVE4, Jump - XP1 - All adjacent allies and enemies suffer 1 damage, Consume EARTH: suffer 2 damage instead, XP1 - LOSS"
Bullwinkle (Hand7, Discarded2, Active0, Lost1) is acting at initiative 32 with Warding Strength and Leaping Cleave.

32. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Car Hater) posted:

code:
"WARDING STRENGTH (32) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - PUSH2
BOT: Permanent bonus On the next six sources of damage from attacks targeting you, gain Shield1 - Gain XP on 2nd, 4th and 6th trigger - LOSS"

"LEAPING CLEAVE (54) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PBAOE (check image) - XP1
BOT: MOVE3, Jump - Generate AIR"
During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Those dogs are something else.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Woof.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Well, farts. Breaking the rules wouldn't have helped anyway. I am still planning to splat those dogs, but at end of round, not so useful.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
All dogs go to hell.

Right now.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Welcome to why the dogs are one of the more annoying enemies in Gloomhaven (though not the worst!). They're super fast (both in movement and initiative), they come in big groups, they have retaliate, and they hand out status effects. It's pretty much impossible to get out of a fight with dogs without taking some damage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Christ, I forgot that Hounds have an Init 6 card. That's goddamn ridiculous.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
They are good doggos :colbert:

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
And here I thought I was being safe by playing my fastest card - my fastest is still too slow for the doggos, though.

Luckily, this shouldn't trigger any more card loss from damage since Rocky will take ~4 and Bullwinkle ~2. Barring terrible luck we should be able to finish this room off this round - looking ahead, do we want to pause a round for rests or open the next door? Both Rocky and Bullwinkle will be pretty damaged, although a long rest doesn't provide that much healing.

I'm leaning towards a long rest and going into the next room fresh to try and focus down the boss right away - we could also loot the coins from this room since everyone still has at least 2 turns of cards remaining after this round.

On the other hand, I can still reach the door this turn although the bottom right dog will probably survive the round and I won't be able to stun it. The summon mechanics still make me think this isn't the best approach though.

Also, That Italian Guy, do I get a chance to react to or set conditional actions based on what's in the room if I open a door? ie if I opened the door could I set something like "Use the invisibility cloak if there's at least 2 enemies within 3 hexes of me"?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Christ, I forgot that Hounds have an Init 6 card. That's goddamn ridiculous.

Hounds aren't likely to be the monster you blame when you lose a scenario, but they're consistently dangerous in a way many other enemies aren't.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I would definitely spend a round healing, you don't want to open a boss room while on your back feet.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah I'm planning to nab both of my healing cards back via potion, so.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Diamond Mine Round 2B

- None!

6. Hound 3(E), 2, 6 posted:

- Hound 3(E) focuses Bullwinkle! Attacks Bullwinkle for 2 (2base, +0mod) damage.
Bullwinkle is at 4 HP and is IMMOBILIZED!
- Hound 2 focuses Rocky! Attacks Rocky for 1 (2base, -1mod) damage.
Rockyis at 8 HP and is IMMOBILIZED!
- Hound 6 focuses Rocky! Attacks Rocky for 4 (2base, x2mod) damage.
Rockyis at 4 HP and is IMMOBILIZED!

To compensate for all the hate these Hounds surely are generating, here's a picture of adorable puppies:

No real dog is going to be harmed in the next few turns.

8. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (DarthRoblox) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Perverse Edge (bot)! Attacks Hound 6 for 4 (1base, +0mod) damage! Gains 1XP.
Hound 6 is at 3 HP and is STUNNED!
- Master Splinter uses Scurry (top)! Moves 2 to G2. Attacks Hound 3(E) for 3 (1base, -1mod +2bonus) damage!
Hound 3(E) is killed!.
Master Splinter executes end of turn looting! Gains 1 coin token.
ICE is now strong.

29. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (MarquiseMindfang) posted:

- Rocky uses Crater (top)! Attacks Hound 6 with DISADVANTAGE for 1 (3base, -1/-2 mod) damage! Hound 6 RETALIATES2!
Hound 6 is at 2 HP and is STUNNED!
Rocky is at 2 HP.
Backup Ammunition's first trigger! Attacks Hound 2 with DISADVANTAGE for 3 (3base, +0/+1 mod) damage!
Hound 2 is killed!.
- Rocky uses Rumbling Advance (bot as a generic MOVE2)! No action taken! Loses IMMOBILIZED token.
Rocky uses Minor Stamina Potion, recovers Rumbling Advance and Earthen Clod.

MarquiseMindfang you had instructions to PUSH using Crater, but there was no EARTH to comsume :/ That means, between the crit and the RETALIATION damage, Rocky has almost killed itself by swinging at Hound 2. There was no contingency in that case, so I've decided to take a swing at it, since the only card currently in Rocky's deck that would not kill it is NULL, since the -2 was pulled earlier this turn.

32. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Car Hater) posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Leaping Cleave (top)! No action taken!
- Bullwinkle uses Warding Strength (bot)! Loses IMMOBILIZED token! Permanent bonus: On the next six sources of damage from attacks targeting you, gain Shield1 - Gain XP on 2nd, 4th and 6th trigger, then LOSS.

They say dogs are a man's best friend. There are no humans in this party. Math checks out!

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- ICE is now waning.

All things considered, quite a Round, even with no NULLs drawn. Two crits in the first two rounds is quite unlikely for the monster deck (even if the previous one was turned into a +0 by Bullwinkle's Helmet).

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 8, 2019

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh, whoops, someone mentioned punting it in the thread and I assumed that meant I could. Nevermind!

Thankfully this is a short-looking one, so card loss and rest rounds aren't that big of a deal.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Oooops, should have told you, that was dependent on my cheating-rear end forgetting that that card was not recoverable with the stamina potion at that time

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
:munch: the non elite hounds only have Retaliate 1

Reik fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 25, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reik posted:

:munch: the non elite hounds only have Retaliate 1

Good point! Fixing this in the next update.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I can take care of the last dog if Rocky & Bullwinkle want to focus on healing up this turn, I don't have anything else to do besides loot.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I was possibly going to loot all the coins next to me...could also long rest. (Coins Coins COINS)

Ideally: rest this turn, then loot range 1 and move next to door turn 4, koolaid man into the next room on the open of round 5

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I can only do just enough damage to send the hound to the farm upstate, so at least one of you might want an attack option to use on contingency.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'd propose kill doggo this turn, move into position (and some heals if possible) next turn, long rest to get the items back and then kick the door open and get to work.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

DarthRoblox posted:

Also, That Italian Guy, do I get a chance to react to or set conditional actions based on what's in the room if I open a door? ie if I opened the door could I set something like "Use the invisibility cloak if there's at least 2 enemies within 3 hexes of me"?

Just realized I have not replied to this:
Whenever there are no enemies on the map, we'll stop the normal Step A > Step B structure and we'll resolve all the Round(s) until someone opens a door. That Round, I'll execute orders up until the door is opened; after that, I'll stop the update (giving the "opener" a chance to see what's inside before finishing their move and playing their other card, if any) and we'll go back to the normal structure.

See 10A from the last Scenario for an example :)

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Just realized I have not replied to this:
Whenever there are no enemies on the map, we'll stop the normal Step A > Step B structure and we'll resolve all the Round(s) until someone opens a door. That Round, I'll execute orders up until the door is opened; after that, I'll stop the update (giving the "opener" a chance to see what's inside before finishing their move and playing their other card, if any) and we'll go back to the normal structure.

See 10A from the last Scenario for an example :)

Gotcha - since there's no vermling scouts or overseer on the field right now, would you also pull their cards and initiative at the pause or does that only happen after the door openers turn finishes?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

DarthRoblox posted:

Gotcha - since there's no vermling scouts or overseer on the field right now, would you also pull their cards and initiative at the pause or does that only happen after the door openers turn finishes?

Monster AI cards are revealed as soon as the door to their room is opened. The door opener is intended to have that information before they finish their movement. I assume That Italian Guy would pull them and give that information to the thread as soon as the door is opened, since it's easy to do in Gloomhaven Helper and follows the rules, at least when where there aren't any enemies around already.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah, when a door is opened we'll stick to something quite similar to regular play, so I'll resolve all the Rounds with no monsters revealed and stop at the moment a door is opened revealing creatures. I'll pull ability cards for them, if not present already and allow the "opener" to see everything before deciding where to end their movement and what to do with their other card; same for the remaining players that have not acted already in that Round.

Since the opener is probably going to be the first character acting that round, the end result is probably going to look like:
Update 1) STEP A update + partial movement to open the door > reveal content and ability cards for the creatures in there;
Update 2) STEP B update, with the opener playing out their remaining movement/other card.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 25, 2019

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Rocky should gain XP for Backup Ammo activating, right?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^^^ Yes!

Diamond Mine Round 3A

- Non Elite Hounds only RETALIATE for 1, so Rocky should have 3 HP instead of 2!
- Rocky should have received a 1XP when Backup Ammunition has been triggered!

ROUND REVEAL posted:

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand6, Discarded3, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 9 with Hostile Takeover and Empathetic Assault.

9. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (DarthRoblox) posted:

code:
"HOSTILE TAKEOVER (09) [Lvl2]
TOP: ATK2, Range 4 - IMMOBILIZE - Generate ICE - 1XP
BOT: Round Bonus: Force one normal or elite enemy within Range 3 to perform its turn this Round as if it's allies were enemies and its enemies were allies - 2XP - LOSS"

"EMPATHETIC ASSAULT (11) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK4, Range4 - DISARM - Generate ICE - XP2 - LOSS
BOT: MOVE2 - HEAL2 self"
Bullwinkle (Hand5, Discarded3, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 27 with Spare Dagger and Grab and Go.

27. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Car Hater) posted:

code:
"SPARE DAGGER (27) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, Range3 - XP1
BOT: ATK2"

"GRAB AND GO (87) [Lvl1]
TOP: LOOT1
BOT: MOVE4"
Rocky (Hand9, Discarded1, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 38 with Earthen Clod and Opposing Strike.

38. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (MarquiseMindfang) posted:

code:
"EARTHEN CLOD (38) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2, Range5 - Consume EARTH: IMMOBILIZE, XP1
BOT: HEAL2, Range3"

"OPPOSING STRIKE (46) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PBAOE (check image) - XP1
BOT: Permanent Bonus - On the next six melee attacks targeting you, gain RETALIATE2 - Gain XP1 on 2nd, 4th and 6th trigger - LOSS"
During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Diamond Mine Round 3B

- None!

9. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (DarthRoblox) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Hostile Takeover (top)! Attacks Hound 6 for 2 (2base, +0mod) damage! Gains 1XP
- Master Splinter uses Empathetic Assault (bot)! Moves 1 to H2
Master Splinter executes end of turn looting! Gains 1 coin token.
ICE is now strong.
Hound 6 is killed!.

I've just discovered that this exists:

Which in turn let me to discover that THIS exists too:

A) That looks WAAAAAY to happy to be the cover of anything Nimh related and
B) :wtf:

27. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Car Hater) posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Grab and Go (top)! LOOTS1 and gains 2 coin token.
- Bullwinkle uses Spare Dagger (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves 2 to F1

Car Hater has elected to bring Grab and Go instead of Fatal Advance and the decision seems to be...paying off :downsrim:

38. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (MarquiseMindfang) posted:

- Rocky uses Opposing Strike (top)! No action taken!
- Rocky uses Earthen Clod (bot)! HEALS2 Bullwinkle!
Bullwinkle is at 6 HP.

Rocky starts mending up all those bite wounds.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- ICE is now waning.

If I've understood the active players correctly, they are going to rest/heal next Round. If that's the case, please provide orders for each Round you want to stay in this room, up to Step A of the Round you're opening the door. I'll go through your orders and play out the results up to the point the door gets opened; you'll get a chance to see what's inside and provide Step B orders accordingly (or end-of-movement + instructions on how to use the second card, for the door opener).

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 8, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

That Italian Guy posted:

I've just discovered that this exists:

This would make a great avatar. Not for me though.

quote:

Car Hater has elected to bring Grab and Go instead of Fatal Advance and the decision seems to be...paying off :downsrim:

Boooooooo get off the stage!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
drat you Roblox, that coin was miiiiiinnneeeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

This would make a great avatar. Not for me though.

That's the stuff of nightmares, and for more than 1 reason too.