Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Ratzap posted:

The new biter/pollution formula really makes a difference. I started a rail world with otherwise default settings, got a nice desert seed (I hate trees and clearing to build so I go for deserts) and I very quickly had visitors. One nest plus a worm is still easily done with a machine gun and 20-30 clips so I cleaned my cloud out (the worm tracking is cool, if you don't zig zag you're going to eat goo) and got back to building. Barely half an hour later while laying out the first red + green lab area I had a whole bunch arrive. Checking the map the cloud had spread very quickly and multiple groups were sending packs just like the FFF said.

Same here. Started a new game and had visitors before I had 10 electric drills going, and they kept coming! I very quickly researched turrets and made an ammo factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Rain gave up on his run and Nefrums took an hour to go from bots to blue science. The attacks are pretty strong and you almost have to b line to laser turrets, wall off your turrets, and multi-powerline them as well. They even attack your oil pipelines lol.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was excited to play this but I have a crash-on-load bug :(

Submitted it to the bug forums, hope they can hunt it down!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Oldstench posted:

Click the three dots to expand it and choose which options you want visible.

I tried that, they're greyed out, I can only toggle the alt on/off

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Rain gave up on his run and Nefrums took an hour to go from bots to blue science. The attacks are pretty strong and you almost have to b line to laser turrets, wall off your turrets, and multi-powerline them as well. They even attack your oil pipelines lol.

Unless they tweak the settings some more, Deathworld will finally be worthy of the name.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Flow Control, Honk and Side Inserters updated to 0.17. Currently working on Nuclear Locomotives, with Flare Stack to follow.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Did they tweak grenades? Grenades with just red+green science SHRED nests and worms.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Unreal_One posted:

I tried that, they're greyed out, I can only toggle the alt on/off

Maybe it's tech now?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

They made the useless rear end defender drones even more expensive by now requiring a flight frame to build them. A quality of life change that makes us not use them extra hard.

On the plus side, you can now make an automated passenger train with the new "wait for passenger" wait condition! This one is big to me.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 27, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

corgski posted:

Well I softlocked the new tutorial in the most hilarious way possible.

Post that on their forums. Devs are really involved and they'll find that amusing and probably make sure there are extra trees in the future.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

No more crafting pickaxes is throwing me for a loop. They need something in that slot above your armor in the interface!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated Nuclear Locomotives (full name list) and Renamer.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And there's already a 0.17.1

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

M_Gargantua posted:

Post that on their forums. Devs are really involved and they'll find that amusing and probably make sure there are extra trees in the future.

I already posted a bug report over there. Sadly it’s currently home to several nerds arguing that softlocking the new player tutorial by shift-clicking the wooden chests (and not providing feedback at all when you put the tutorial in an unwinnable state) is desirable behavior.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Factorio without mods is bizzarely simple. Also not a fan of the new world gen because it really doesn't work with large oceans as well as the previous one did, cuts you off real easy and didn't generate me any oil anywhere I can see to bridge to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 27, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

uPen posted:

You can have robots swap out yellow belts for red belts etc without having to deconstruct.

This is what I wanted the upgrade planner mod to do, awesome.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there a way (or maybe a mod) to automatically place big electric poles at the edge of their wire range instead of wiggling the mouse back and forth or just eyeballing it and ending up uneven/inconsistent?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is there a way (or maybe a mod) to automatically place big electric poles at the edge of their wire range instead of wiggling the mouse back and forth or just eyeballing it and ending up uneven/inconsistent?

When you're placing poles, if you click and drag it will place poles at maximum range. If you want to start this from a pole thats already placed you just have to click and hold starting on the old pole with the new ones in your hand. So you can just click and hold and run in a direction with small, medium, or large poles or substations, they'll all work. Just like you can do for underground belts and underground pipes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Hold down the left mouse button while you're placing them. If you release it by accident, go back to the last one you placed, and "place" a new one over it, holding the button down again, and you'll be able to pick up where you left off.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What are some solid basic mods I should be using if I'm just getting started?
Just for Quality of Life that don't change the game at all:

Squeak Through - Reduces the collision box of some items so you can walk between them, most notably lets you walk between / over pipe segments.
Long Reach - Less running.
Inbuilt Lighting - Electric poles emit light, makes your base less dark at night.
Bottleneck - Shows with simple icons when a machine is working efficiently, is starved for input or backed up with output.
VehicleSnap - Vehicles snap to 1/16th angles when driving and not steering, makes driving in straight lines less annoying.
Honk - Train says what?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated Flare Stack, Electric Furnaces and Orphan Finder.

Edit: turns out people were using it, so updated Explosive Excavation as well - water is now blueprintable and the blasting explosives can be placed by bots to match changes to landfill in vanilla in 0.17.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 27, 2019

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

M_Gargantua posted:

When you're placing poles, if you click and drag it will place poles at maximum range. If you want to start this from a pole thats already placed you just have to click and hold starting on the old pole with the new ones in your hand. So you can just click and hold and run in a direction with small, medium, or large poles or substations, they'll all work. Just like you can do for underground belts and underground pipes.

Adding to this (because it's something I only realised several hundred hours in) if you do this with along a row of items that require power it will drop them spaced to power everything rather than actual maximum range, which is great for running medium poles along a line of miners etc.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

GotLag posted:

Edit: turns out people were using it, so updated Explosive Excavation as well - water is now blueprintable and the blasting explosives can be placed by bots to match changes to landfill in vanilla in 0.17.

Hurray! Electric Furnaces is one of my favorite mods to use.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Man this patch is great, so many QoL things in the base game now. The UI changes seem really nice too (love the new way the toolbar keeps things pinned even when you run out of inventory).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bigmandan posted:

Hurray! Electric Furnaces is one of my favorite mods to use.

Any feedback on recipe/technology costs or other balance concerns would be greatly appreciated

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Deathworlds seem difficult now. Difficult as in “you will be very quickly turning literally thousands of iron plates per minute into turrets and ammo to avoid death” difficult.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

GotLag posted:

Give us the nuclear fuel gotlag. I want my superior fuel processing system that’s also stockalike.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Something screwy is going on with the ore generation currently. Leaving frequency at 100% is all but painting the landscape in ore, but turning it down a single notch to 75% will produce a starting area without anything in it except for a tiny patch of iron. Really hoping RSO updates soon!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Drone_Fragger posted:

Deathworlds seem difficult now. Difficult as in “you will be very quickly turning literally thousands of iron plates per minute into turrets and ammo to avoid death” difficult.
I'm not sure how the tutorial was scaled, but it started getting really hairy towards the end for me.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

GotLag posted:

Any feedback on recipe/technology costs or other balance concerns would be greatly appreciated

Overall I feel the balance is pretty good. Tier 3's are maybe too good for their cost, but not overly so.

Having compact smelting areas of fully beaconed T3's is pretty awesome though, especially for steel production.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

DoubleNegative posted:

Something screwy is going on with the ore generation currently. Leaving frequency at 100% is all but painting the landscape in ore, but turning it down a single notch to 75% will produce a starting area without anything in it except for a tiny patch of iron. Really hoping RSO updates soon!

I think so too. I chose Rich Resources and there was not much at all in the starting area, and nothing else in 3 radar's worth of coverage. My coal patch has enough space for maybe a dozen miners. Things are going to start hurting fairly soon.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Canuckistan posted:

I think so too. I chose Rich Resources and there was not much at all in the starting area, and nothing else in 3 radar's worth of coverage. My coal patch has enough space for maybe a dozen miners. Things are going to start hurting fairly soon.

Right after you blanket your small starting patch and before you get your smelting columns online is the perfect time to set up a buffer. It'll all get used, you need that space empty and the only way to empty it is to pull all that coal out of the ground. You can delay the hurting time till you find your next patch of coal. Promise

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Canuckistan posted:

Maybe they got the multipliers the wrong way around? My rail world left on defaults is fine - 300k coal in the starting area and 3M more a short train hop away. Try setting up a world with lower than normal resources and see if you actually get more?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
The new map generation is screwy, especially in conjunction with the huge buff to biters. I spent too long messing around with my factory and overbuilt during the pre-fluid stages of the game. Now the only oil patch I can find is a measly %800 flanked on both sides by 15+ nest biter bases that utterly destroy me. You really need to stay on top of the "biter curve" in .17 or you're going to have a really bad time.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

When at the start of the campaign it prompted me to "Ensure your defenses are sufficient before talking to the computron", I wasn't expecting the biter attacks to go from trivial to deathworld.

Bit of a leap! Plus if you restart you have to do the entire starter mission over again.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Canuckistan posted:

Rich resources doesn't make them more frequent, just richer. I've found a good distribution in my rail world, more than three radars out but that's with a really low frequency. The new map preview reveals a lot when playing with the new controls.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The new worms really mess up the tank if you're taking on more than a few at once, I think I actually need to make shells.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
So uh, is the island start just... one island cause:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It's not an island start it's an island map, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Hard to notice it in the tidal wave of lovely mods being updated but RSO is done.