Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
ibm pros: the check clears
ibm cons: the tech, the bureaucracy, the tendency for your job to suddenly disappear and reappear in india

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

jesus WEP posted:

it’s the belfast office so maybe the worst of american corporate bullshit is toned down

my company has an engineering office in belfast. dm me if you're curious. not sure what openings we have but i can at least get your name in the system.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

pfft that won't even be in the eu

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I've got an onsite with a self-driving car company coming up and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good primer for the various technologies commonly involved. What a normal image processing pipeline looks like, what are some major algorithms plotting a course through the roads at a high level, how do teslas decide which stationary object to slam into, that sort of thing.

The job would be mostly writing code to shuffle large amounts of sensor data around so none of this is strictly necessary for the position, I'd just like to know a little bit more about it.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
just be sure to practice your answer to, "what would you say to a lawyer that was deposing you in an unlawful death lawsuit"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Fiedler posted:

just be sure to practice your answer to, "what would you say to a lawyer that was deposing you in an unlawful death lawsuit"

Another thing I plan on busting out is "What does the team do when its given an unreasonable deadline" and "What are the consequences of a team missing a deadline"

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
Hey dudes thanks for giving me the encouragement. My old ball and chain got really mad because she says I am obsessed with IT,
and I don't know how to appease her. She has scrounged up like every single article that says bad things about Wantedly 'n poo poo, how some
dude got roped into 16 hours work-days and got paid 8k as being an intern. Like the last place - Shinesoft - she doesn't like how easy the interview was and
how it took only one day for them send me a contract over. I mean - speed isn't one of Japanese fortes.

Anyway, I need to plan a night to explain my job searching, my reasons for wanting to be a dev to her and
asking what her expectations for me are, because I doubt she wants me to get a cushy office job at some
manufacturing firm selling chips just because she wants to. Her work experience has been pretty lovely so far, and only now she has found
a great job she's actually kinda happy with (read: not get yelled at all day).

I think what's going on is that we got some untalked issues or some poo poo and we gotta proper do the adult talk.

Sorry for the e/n posts I will try to shitpost more in the future.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Piano Maniac posted:

Hey dudes thanks for giving me the encouragement. My old ball and chain got really mad because she says I am obsessed with IT,
and I don't know how to appease her. She has scrounged up like every single article that says bad things about Wantedly 'n poo poo, how some
dude got roped into 16 hours work-days and got paid 8k as being an intern. Like the last place - Shinesoft - she doesn't like how easy the interview was and
how it took only one day for them send me a contract over. I mean - speed isn't one of Japanese fortes.

Anyway, I need to plan a night to explain my job searching, my reasons for wanting to be a dev to her and
asking what her expectations for me are, because I doubt she wants me to get a cushy office job at some
manufacturing firm selling chips just because she wants to. Her work experience has been pretty lovely so far, and only now she has found

I think what's going on is that we got some untalked issues or some poo poo and we gotta proper do the adult talk.

I mean a few of the things you describe do sound like it might be a lovely job opportunity, but it also sounds like she might be a little bit too worried. what exactly does she expect you to do, work at a coffee shop forever? it’s not like they can surprise pay you 10k a year or something without you knowing ahead of time. exactly what sort of compensation is in the offer?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Piano Maniac posted:

idk anything about the Japanese job market so it would be interesting to hear about what happens for you. where are you at now job-wise and what kind of opportunities are you seeing?

in general tho, get a new job and make more money and if that doesn't work get a new job and make more money

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

jesus WEP posted:

working for IBM: bad idea or terrible idea?

read the pro publica article (https://features.propublica.org/ibm/ibm-age-discrimination-american-workers/) and then ask yourself if you're currently, or some day will be old

and then try to figure out how IBM makes money
- mainframes are niche
- lotus notes is dying off
- i've literally never met or heard of anyone using IBM's cloud
- watson hasn't lived up to expectations
- not sure IBM's consulting arm has any real reason to use it over Bain/BCG/McKinsey or other big 4 type places (or Dell, Xerox, or all the other 'big tech' places trying to get into the game)

and it's no wonder they are trying to squeeze margins by moving all jobs to India. They have way more people in India than in the US at this point

nbsd probably has some good comments, he was dunking on ibm in the thread a couple months ago

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
also a vettery person just sent me an e-mail with a 5 MB inline gif of her dancing with a sign

boy are they desperate or what

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Two days into new job, on first impressions literally every single aspect about the job is better than my old one. Not to say it's perfect, but holy poo poo just being around competent devs for once is a breath of fresh air. Now I finally get to feel like the dumbest person in the office again!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nbsd is racist against indians

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

qhat posted:

Two days into new job, on first impressions literally every single aspect about the job is better than my old one. Not to say it's perfect, but holy poo poo just being around competent devs for once is a breath of fresh air. Now I finally get to feel like the dumbest person in the office again!

hell yeah bro :hfive:

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

cheque_some posted:

read the pro publica article (https://features.propublica.org/ibm/ibm-age-discrimination-american-workers/) and then ask yourself if you're currently, or some day will be old

one guy on my new team had a single VM in ibmcloud hosting a tiny app.

I made him move it to AWS, where literally everything else in the company lives.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

Looking for some advice. I'm leaving my job at a "startup" (post-ipo) voluntarily to get those figgies, on good terms. Last day is Friday, and I have an exit interview scheduled with HR where one of the agenda items is that they want me to sign this PIIA inventions assignment document before I leave.

I've signed everything they've put in front of me while I've worked there, which really just amounted to the typical new hire stuff around the time I was hired. I guess they must have forgotten this one (I came in along with a dozen others during an acquisition so it was a bit hectic and disorganized).

Anyway I have no intention of signing something for the sole benefit of covering HR's rear end, obviously, especially because it's a nebulous document that might interfere with my new job.

Just wondering if i have some obligation to do so? My last day is March 1, and by the time of my meeting I should have my final paycheck with the necessary deductions for my health coverage to last thru the month, so I don't think they can hold that over me.

So can I ask them for money? Can I ask to keep the computer they gave me? Should I just tell them to gently caress off? Should i be nice and just sign it?

RedZone
Dec 6, 2005

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

Looking for some advice. I'm leaving my job at a "startup" (post-ipo) voluntarily to get those figgies, on good terms. Last day is Friday, and I have an exit interview scheduled with HR where one of the agenda items is that they want me to sign this PIIA inventions assignment document before I leave.

I've signed everything they've put in front of me while I've worked there, which really just amounted to the typical new hire stuff around the time I was hired. I guess they must have forgotten this one (I came in along with a dozen others during an acquisition so it was a bit hectic and disorganized).

Anyway I have no intention of signing something for the sole benefit of covering HR's rear end, obviously, especially because it's a nebulous document that might interfere with my new job.

Just wondering if i have some obligation to do so? My last day is March 1, and by the time of my meeting I should have my final paycheck with the necessary deductions for my health coverage to last thru the month, so I don't think they can hold that over me.

So can I ask them for money? Can I ask to keep the computer they gave me? Should I just tell them to gently caress off? Should i be nice and just sign it?

If you don't sign it, what are they going to do, fire you? They don't have any leverage in this situation so you can just tell them to gently caress off. I had a similar situation where an employer that I was leaving wanted me to sign some document saying I wouldn't recruit people from them for at least a year after I left. I had no intention of doing it, but I still didn't want to sign away my "rights" in exchange for nothing. You can try to leverage them to get some compensation, but I've never tried that or known someone who did. If you feel like it's going to burn a bridge and the industry is small where you live then maybe sign it, only if it doesn't interfere with your new/future jobs. Up to you really... but you're under no obligation to do them this favor unless you feel like it.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'm already back on the interviewer side of the table & hate it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

First of all, don't sign a single item that your employer hands you after you've told them you're quitting. Okay they forgot to ask you to sign before, too bad, their problem.

Second, can you ask them for money? Of course you can. Only do this though if you have no actual inventions that maybe are worth money.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

The only reason I thought of asking for money is that it might be in the the same vein as a severance... you give me money, in return I sign whatever you want. but maybe it's an unrealistic idea

e: I don't think I have any inventions -- I do have a lot of open source work for the company, but it's all under their own org so I don't think it would matter

Fish Ladder Theory fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 27, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

The only reason I thought of asking for money is that it might be in the the same vein as a severance... you give me money, in return I sign whatever you want. but maybe it's an unrealistic idea

e: I don't think I have any inventions -- I do have a lot of open source work for the company, but it's all under their own org so I don't think it would matter

If a company asks you to do things you never signed up for, it is your financial obligation to ask to be compensated for that. Think about it like this... it sucks replacing a key employee, it actually costs money to do that, and at a higher a salary most likely. You asking for a raise shouldn't cost more than that amount. Else your bosses are idiots financially, and you should feel bad at stealing money from your family to feed your boss's ambition.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Piano Maniac posted:

i'll say it again - changing a job because conditions were lovely is totally OK, at least you got your foot in the door and some experience. "obsessed with IT" is not a stupid thing to be in today's job market because it pays really loving well and it does not take a lot of training to get started.

yes japan has a lot of problems with overwork, but you are also the guy who wants to change careers into IT so it's expected that you will not just cruise into a cushy job and you will go through a lot of "entry-level" poo poo, which may include tech support, qa, making coffee in the office. if you get really lucky you get a really good job with no downsides and huge career growth opportunities, but i would suggest it is a good idea to manage your expectations for the first one, especially in japan.

tl; dr don't pass up valuable experience just because it seems scary

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Gazpacho posted:

i'm already back on the interviewer side of the table & hate it

interviewing sucks and I'm so glad I'm done with it now. I conducted probably 60 interviews over 9 months. i'm bitter as gently caress over it and I'm bitter that they finally broke down and started offering people WHAT I ASKED FOR last year when I quit (I came back on contract).

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 27, 2019

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
Good news from the eastern front: I went to interview in another company that seemed to be kinda weird, like no corporate bullshit, website was OK but not much info.... That being said, MAN was I glad I went there.

Of all the 4 companies I've been to, this place was the only one where I actually saw the devs working. All in the same office! Man, how cool is that?!

The interview itself was so good too.
The founder was like so no-bullshit. Like third question he asked was "Look, what do you think about long hours?"

I was like w-wuh-what and he said "Yeah, man, if you want to get actually good at this, you gotta work and study hard - just 8 hours a day won't cut it, especially when you are starting out with this job and you are making something people are gonna pay for."

It was refreshing to hear some real talk from a founder! Plus he invited me over next week to meet the team a bit closer, assess my skills and overall give me opportunities to make sure I would like the place or not!

My wife was also pleased with this, so I am feeling a bit more confident about the situation.

Thanks for the t&p's my dudes :cheers:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Piano Maniac posted:

The interview itself was so good too.
The founder was like so no-bullshit. Like third question he asked was "Look, what do you think about long hours?"

I was like w-wuh-what and he said "Yeah, man, if you want to get actually good at this, you gotta work and study hard - just 8 hours a day won't cut it, especially when you are starting out with this job and you are making something people are gonna pay for."

I uh, hmm... I realize things are different there but this is a pretty big red flag to me

Did he hint at how many hours a day do "cut it"? My concern is that if they're openly admitting they work a lot of over time, the reality is always going to be worse than what they let on. Even "cool" startups give some lip service to "work life balance" and that sort of thing. That's an American take I realize, but you mentioned it was uncommonly honest even over there.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I think piano was being sarcastic

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I think piano was being sarcastic

personally i've put a personal moratorium out on trying to read sarcasm & irony in text anymore, i'm bloody tired of it

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ciaphas posted:

personally i've put a personal moratorium out on trying to read sarcasm & irony in text anymore, i'm bloody tired of it

you're a lovely person mate

just absolutely lovely, congrats

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I don't have anything against you I couldn't resist

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ibm's mssp consulting side is growing. they're basically a high end secureworks.

their red team is literally called X-Force though. lmao.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

interviewing sucks and I'm so glad I'm done with it now. I conducted probably 60 interviews over 9 months. i'm bitter as gently caress over it and I'm bitter that they finally broke down and started offering people WHAT I ASKED FOR last year when I quit (I came back on contract).
How come you did so many? I usually enjoy conducting interviews, but it can really suck if you keep finding people you really want but know that they're gonna be swimming in better offers and management won't accept that they need to offer more.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

toiletbrush posted:

How come you did so many? I usually enjoy conducting interviews, but it can really suck if you keep finding people you really want but know that they're gonna be swimming in better offers and management won't accept that they need to offer more.

because my client was offering $market - 25% lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

quote:

“It’s tough when you’ve worked your whole life,” he said. “The company doesn’t tell you anything. And once you get to a certain age, you don’t hear a word from the places you apply.”

lmao what a stupid industry we work in

it sucks being young. No one employs you.
It's rotten being old. No one employs you.

I'm a white male! Aged 25-35! EVERYONE wants to employ me! No matter how dumb my ideas are!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this has probably been posted already but

https://twitter.com/daisyowl/status/1098748868705959936

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cheque_some posted:

and then try to figure out how IBM makes money
- mainframes are niche
- lotus notes is dying off
- watson hasn't lived up to expectations
- not sure IBM's consulting arm has any real reason to use it over Bain/BCG/McKinsey or other big 4 type places (or Dell, Xerox, or all the other 'big tech' places trying to get into the game)

and it's no wonder they are trying to squeeze margins by moving all jobs to India. They have way more people in India than in the US at this point

nbsd probably has some good comments, he was dunking on ibm in the thread a couple months ago

ibm is an indian consulting giant with a few incidental legacy businesses based in the u.s. and mexico

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in 2019, ibm doesn't really compete with the big IT consultancies. they're not going toe to toe with accenture or eds because they can't

they compete with tata and infosys

subcontractors providing cheap labor on tap

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i worked for ibm for fourteen months and when i left i still hadn't been assigned a manager or a project

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

i worked for ibm for fourteen months and when i left i still hadn't been assigned a manager or a project

drat, I would love for that. I would just do contract work while collecting my pay from IBM. double paycheck.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

the talent deficit posted:

I have mixed feelings about this. I suspect it is good if you want to day drink at your desk, bad if you want to do anything or advance, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

Boot and Rally posted:

I have mixed feelings about this. I suspect it is good if you want to day drink at your desk, bad if you want to do anything or advance, right?

Having nothing to do is not fun at all.