Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

algebra testes posted:

Season 3 rewatch still going.

"Who's your dog" still cracks me up.

Cheese being aghast at how coldblooded they are always cracks me up, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I was surprised by many of the deaths in The Wire but was confounded most ultimately by Bubbles' continuing to live :unsmith:

If there was a sixth season and Bubs relapsed again I couldn't have taken it.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
No way Bubs lives another few years. They tried to give a happy ending but a ton of junkies are given second chances and still gently caress it up. Probably relapse and die in an OD a few months after getting clean. How is this guy going to work or raise a family or do anything normal people do? He's a lost cause and honestly his ending felt kinda like fan service. They had to have at least some hope of redemption for a character, it's not wrong. But if anything his ending is just hopeful, definitely not anything approaching success. The only real success might be Namond being adopted, he was never cut out for the street life so with proper parenting he'll turn out fine.

The addict stories were my favorite from the Wire, if you felt the same The Corner is a really great show that follows from the dope fiend perspective.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 20, 2019

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Someone explain how the druggie dude dukie ends up with is able to afford feeding a horse and get away with walking it all over the city with noone giving a poo poo.

Like I've never once seen a crack addict with a horse in any city I've ever been in.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pretty sure he's the crackhead version of these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5h5LDVwZHg

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aw man, S4E12. What a series of kicks to the balls :smith:

Sherrod, fuuuuck

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Randy screaming at Carver as he walks down the corridor :negative:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Jerusalem posted:

Cheese being aghast at how coldblooded they are always cracks me up, haha

The confused look on his face when they asked what he did to “Dog” and he answers “lit him up” is hilarious.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just started watching the second season of the Deuce. Spotted Frank Sobotka channeling Jimmy McNulty.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God I gotta watch the Deuce

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's really loving good, the second season goes in some really unexpected but welcome directions, especially in regards to Gbenga Akinnagbe's character.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MrBling posted:

I think you'll find that Donut is the true hero of the people.

Poot is the true hero, he survives all sorts of shootouts and crazy stuff and gets away with everything and ends up with a boring job.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Poot for main character in the Married with Children revival.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

banned from Starbucks posted:

Someone explain how the druggie dude dukie ends up with is able to afford feeding a horse and get away with walking it all over the city with noone giving a poo poo.

Like I've never once seen a crack addict with a horse in any city I've ever been in.

It's a thing that has a history in Baltimore, although it's almost completely died out by now. But when the show was on it was still somewhat common to see guys selling produce from a horse draw cart in Baltimore. I had one that would come though my neighborhood when I lived downtown about 3 years ago, but at that time he was already like a man out of time, the last dinosaur, if you will.

They're called Arabbers.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Basebf555 posted:

I think your description of his thought process when it comes to the cases is very generous. I wouldn't call it "triage", I'd call it "covering your rear end". His primary concern is that his unit's clearance rate stays above a certain number, and he's willing to look the other way on potential cases if it means one less open case at the end of the year on the stat sheet.

Not sure how that is not triage though? Solving what can be solved while putting those with virtually no chance of being solved on the backburner (the evidence and corpses are not going anywhere) is not simply "covering rear end".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Poot for main character in the Married with Children revival.

On the one hand, Al Bundy was extremely horny, but on the other I can't see Poot being a two pump chump.

I'm putting a lot of thought into this theoretical Married With Children reboot :thunk:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Into S5 now: "We have to kill again" lmao

Haven't seen you in a while McNulty, making up for lost time I see

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 24, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s frustrating, he was doing so well for himself in season 4, too :sigh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, Prop Joe...

Marlo's gotta go, and the show's clearly setting up Omar to be on a collision course with him, but the way this show is I feel like it's only like a 30% chance Omar ends up coming out of that one on top...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The look on Marlo's face when Prop Joe dies :argh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Freamon jumping instantly onto McNulty’s scheme while Bunk looks on in stupefied horror might be my favorite thing on this show to date

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Data Graham posted:

Freamon jumping instantly onto McNulty’s scheme while Bunk looks on in stupefied horror might be my favorite thing on this show to date

Something about that arc - and especially that scene - gave me some kneejerk feelings that weren't especially good. I get that McNulty working the bodies is the wire's take on that old chestnut (it was like something out of the shield, almost) but it wasnt developed enough to actually break the trope the way that McNulty himself broke the trope of the loose cannon on the force. That arc felt (at least on an initial watch) like a forced play for David Simon to make his point, and Lester agreeing with McNulty seemed equally forced.

But it's funny, because on later watches I kept hearing myself justify Lester's/McNulty's actions, telling myself that it isnt an unexpected thing coming from a couple of partners who got hosed over and over by the department. So, like, the rationale is there. Maybe with a couple more episodes they couldve sold it better.

But all that said - yeah that scene was lol as gently caress

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jerusalem posted:

The look on Marlo's face when Prop Joe dies :argh:

I honestly cannot recall Marlo having anything other than the same look thruout the series. It is nice to see him play more than 1 dimension in Bosch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edit: Data Graham, DON'T READ THIS POST

Hasselblad posted:

I honestly cannot recall Marlo having anything other than the same look thruout the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCaBYEEFTKE

The desperation creeping in and that horrified last second realization that there is no salvaging this situation is incredible.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Data Graham, DON'T READ THIS POST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCaBYEEFTKE

The desperation creeping in and that horrified last second realization that there is no salvaging this situation is incredible.

Literally the same face. Makes me wonder if whatever made that large scar caused permanent nerve damage.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

The best part is how the desperation and horror really has nothing to do with potentially getting major time in prison, it's the idea that Omar was out there making GBS threads all over his name in the streets and now there was going to be no way for Marlo to come back on him for it(for multiple reasons). I think Marlo would've been ok going to prison if he would've done it as a street legend, he doesn't want to be remembered as the guy that cowered and hid from Omar though.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basebf555 posted:

The best part is how the desperation and horror really has nothing to do with potentially getting major time in prison, it's the idea that Omar was out there making GBS threads all over his name in the streets and now there was going to be no way for Marlo to come back on him for it(for multiple reasons). I think Marlo would've been ok going to prison if he would've done it as a street legend, he doesn't want to be remembered as the guy that cowered and hid from Omar though.

Of course this is true. Throughout the show we are shown that this is the expected attitude of the street. People go to jail, do what they have to do while they're in, and so long as they don't snitch that's actually good. It's like they are war veterans come home. It is a badge of honour to be a soldier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's exactly right. It's no surprise that the scene happens in a holding cell. Dude is facing the collapse of his empire, a lifetime in jail etc and isn't fazed in the slightest. Then he learns that some guy (since dead) was out there openly talking poo poo about him and everybody thinks he was too scared to do anything about it and he loses his loving mind. It's that beautiful moment when he realizes he wants it to be one way, but it's the other way :smug:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
if the fifth season is bad it's primarily cause of the newspaper stuff, not the serial killer. the serial killer plot is firmly in jump the shark territory but some of the comedic writing and delivery is amazing. the newspaper stuff on the other hand is awful, i dont give a poo poo about these surly, snarky old fucks. gus is an insufferable sanctimonious prick and none of their plot lines intersect with the street stuff in a way that anyone can possibly give a poo poo about. it makes me think of a great landsman line from one of the eulogies "his poo poo was as weak as ours" all of the cops are drunks and gently caress ups but because of the casting theyre all super watchable. the newspaper people are apparently flawless, except when lovely decisions get forced on them by corporate. except in real life they basically enabled trump and the alt right at every given opportunity.

if theyd had more of kima in homicide and more of michael, a character they spent an entire season building up, it'd have been fine. instead they short change him for the newspaper bs.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Data Graham posted:

yeah its great

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Barry Foster posted:

For a man whose best known work is literally about how the system is fundamentally, irredeemably broken, that is extremely disappointing to hear.
yeah the fact that hes a liberal is totally bizarre. kinda like william gibson being a centrist liberal. never meet your heroes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Scott Templeton is a treasure and I loved every minute of his story.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

cargo cult posted:

if the fifth season is bad it's primarily cause of the newspaper stuff, not the serial killer. the serial killer plot is firmly in jump the shark territory but some of the comedic writing and delivery is amazing. the newspaper stuff on the other hand is awful, i dont give a poo poo about these surly, snarky old fucks. gus is an insufferable sanctimonious prick and none of their plot lines intersect with the street stuff in a way that anyone can possibly give a poo poo about. it makes me think of a great landsman line from one of the eulogies "his poo poo was as weak as ours" all of the cops are drunks and gently caress ups but because of the casting theyre all super watchable. the newspaper people are apparently flawless, except when lovely decisions get forced on them by corporate. except in real life they basically enabled trump and the alt right at every given opportunity.

if theyd had more of kima in homicide and more of michael, a character they spent an entire season building up, it'd have been fine. instead they short change him for the newspaper bs.

That was sort of the point about the newspaper storylines. They're supposed to be reporting on what happens in the city but they have no idea what is happening on the streets. They are completely disconnected from the world they're supposed to know about.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was just about to say it seemed like his embellishment plotline seemed like a weird thing to become a story so late in S5; it kind of came out of the blue and has only had like 3-4 episodes to flesh itself out. There's only the finale left I haven't seen, and I'm not invested enough in Templeton to care whether he gets comeuppance or not.

But I guess that's really the nature of the show: nothing is as dramatic or explosive or life-changing in real life as it is in a TV show, as this TV show will now demonstrate. Omar bites it in as anticlimactic a way as possible. McNulty fucks his career and the city's budget through a harebrained scheme that could never have "worked" and was not even founded in personal aggrandizement, just his weird dedication to the work being something more meaningful than the drab futile office numbers game that does nothing but perpetuate the problems of the inner city, but is apparently the only way regular human beings can survive the experience of being cops. Marlo (presumably, I'll find out shortly) disappears from the scene only to give rise to yet another generation of bosses, and the circle of life continues. It would be almost a betrayal of the show's whole texture to date if anything too theatrical happened in the Sun office storyline.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
apropos of nothing but i totally forgot about omar just blowing savino's brains out, i really thought he was just going to intimidate him

also sorry for just vomiting out all my thoughts

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

On the subject of wire actors showing up in weird places I rewatched starship troopers and totally forgot Carver's actor is in that

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
why do the plainclothes cops sometimes stick their sidearms in their desk drawers? also what whos plainclothes and who isnt? like herc, collicho and carver before his promotion all wear plainclothes but arent homicide detectives

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They're all Detectives, just from different departments. Kima, Herc and Carver were in Narcotics under Daniels. Bunk and McNulty were in Homicide under Rawls. Sydnor originally comes from Auto Theft under Cantrell (who ends up getting Daniels' promotion to Major at the end of season 1), Freamon was in the Pawn Shop Unit, Prez was working a desk in some paperwork capacity as a gently caress-up relative of Valchek. All of them but Bunk move to Major Crimes under Daniels, then switch out to different departments over time. Carver goes back to a Uniform after passing the Sergeant's exam, Herc is put into a suit as part of the Mayor's Detail, Kima moves to Homicide, Freamon and Sydnor stick with Major Crimes under the umbrella of the Clay Davis investigation being run by the State's Attorney even though Freamon is nominally a Homicide Detective again etc.

cargo cult posted:

also sorry for just vomiting out all my thoughts

That's my secret, cargo cult, I'm always vomiting out all my thoughts :)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maaan, that was a nice finale. Loved all the little low-key goodbyes. The wake especially, where everybody's basically parting as respectful adversaries. There's no forgiving the unforgivable, but that aside, they're all bros.

Also Snoop's death felt all Kill Bill'ish. "My hair look all right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

cargo cult posted:

why do the plainclothes cops sometimes stick their sidearms in their desk drawers? also what whos plainclothes and who isnt? like herc, collicho and carver before his promotion all wear plainclothes but arent homicide detectives

Because it sucks to have to wear it all day when you're in the office doing office poo poo.