Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She just became #1 Emma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Emma Watson is the one who tried to act entirely though her eyebrows in Beauty and the Beast and failed. It's been two years and I still hate that movie for what it represents: taking a classic and giving it a banal makeover.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Emma Watson is the one who tried to act entirely though her eyebrows in Beauty and the Beast and failed. It's been two years and I still hate that movie for what it represents: taking a classic and giving it a banal makeover.

How's your mom by the way, did she ever grow into her perm?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I appreciated it just based on production design alone, I was very impressed by how the animated environments and costumes were reproduced in live-action.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Suburban Chicago woman posts R Kelly’s $1 million bail
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/suburban-chicago-woman-posts-r-143901346.html

KISS singer Gene Simmons sued for sexual battery over groping allegation
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kiss-singer-gene-simmons-sued-sexual-battery-groping-allegation-132307016.html

Kevin Spacey Accuser Andy Holtzman: ‘I Want Him to Get Well’
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kevin-spacey-accuser-andy-holtzman-170019896.html

Members of alleged sex cult NXIVM appear in federal court
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/members-alleged-sex-cult-nxivm-appear-federal-court-122403102--abc-news-topstories.html

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's called Disney's business model.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Basebf555 posted:

I appreciated it just based on production design alone, I was very impressed by how the animated environments and costumes were reproduced in live-action.

I thought it was nice looking but uninspired and boring, but Lindsay Ellis had a great read on it on YouTube talking about how it’s trying to answer all of the bad faith criticisms of the animated film and fails badly. Good watch.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The remake certainly is a pretty movie, but somehow manages to completely miss the mark despite being an almost shot for shot redo. They take an already admittedly problematic concept, and somehow regress it into actually being a kind of disgusting story, rather than the way the original somehow took a p gross idea and made the romance engaging, and made it work.

Besides, as good an idea as 'cast Hermione as Belle!' sounds on paper, Emma Watson can't loving sing lmao

I also need to shout out the incredibly hilarious hubbub they made over LeFou being gay in this, and then it's a blink and you'll miss moment at the end where I guess he dances with a dude. Like poo poo at least play up his boner for Gaston or smth

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Good. With this fucker’s well-documented history of misogynistic behavior, hopefully it opens the floodgates.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah if we’re gonna chat about famous current rappers who need a talk lets bump Drake up ahead of Kanye.

Drake is going to continue to get away with his creepy, predatory behavior for as long as he's smart enough to never do anything illegal or actually commit outright assault. If he only has consensual, legal-age sex and never gropes anybody who'd go to the authorities or the press then he'll just keep on being a creepy child predator.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Fart City posted:

Good. With this fucker’s well-documented history of misogynistic behavior, hopefully it opens the floodgates.

Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't get called out earlier.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
They should make an app that uses GPS to tell the user what the legal consent age is at the current location for celebrities like Drake who travels a lot.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Drake reminds me of the guy in that Transformers movie who carries a laminated copy of the Romeo and Juliet law in his wallet

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shaocaholica posted:

They should make an app that uses GPS to tell the user what the legal consent age is at the current location for celebrities like Drake who travels a lot.
Or use this map:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's gotta be a lot of really creepy dudes who live just north of the border in Arizona.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

What the gently caress Spain?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And here I thought Germany was the Alabama of Europe.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S08E05/985266.jpg?b64lines=T0guIFVILAogQkFSTkVZIQ==

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Zogo posted:

Kevin Spacey Accuser Andy Holtzman: ‘I Want Him to Get Well’
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kevin-spacey-accuser-andy-holtzman-170019896.html

I hate to be cynical, but I think it's unlikely that a man who's nearly a senior and has been assaulting people for his entire adult life is going to "get well."

Grouchio posted:

Or use this map:

12, Mexico? 12? WTF.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm hoping it's so kids of the same age loving each other don't get criminal histories, but the consequences aren't good to think about.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

starkebn posted:

I'm hoping it's so kids of the same age loving each other don't get criminal histories, but the consequences aren't good to think about.

The wiki states:

quote:

In Mexico, criminal legislation is shared between the federal and state governments. The federal law establishes the age of 12 as the minimum age of consent, while the age at which there are no restrictions for consensual sexual activities is 18 (sex with someone 12-18 is not illegal per se, but can still be open to prosecution under certain circumstances). Local state laws may override the federal law. In practice, the decision as to whether or not to prosecute is left to state authorities regardless of the younger person's age. At state level, the minimum ages of consent vary between 12 (and puberty in a few states) and 15, while the age at which there are no restrictions for consensual sexual activities vary from 16 to 18 (most common 18).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember looking this up for a bet because we were so sure it would be a southern state with the lowest AoC but apparently 12 was legal in Delaware until like 60 years ago.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Sucrose posted:

I hate to be cynical, but I think it's unlikely that a man who's nearly a senior and has been assaulting people for his entire adult life is going to "get well."

12, Mexico? 12? WTF.

0 years of age Saudi Arabia

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sucrose posted:

12, Mexico? 12? WTF.

It plays better than "I'd like to piss on his ashes"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Sucrose posted:

12, Mexico? 12? WTF.

Canada was 14 until shockingly recently (just looked it up and the change was made in 2008). AFAIK, there wasn't even any subtlety to the law like there was in Mexico.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Skwirl posted:

There's gotta be a lot of really creepy dudes who live just north of the border in Arizona.

Yuuuuuuuuup.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/st...23post490163088

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

“They say that just by looking at a woman, you can get sued."

Yep, I looked at a woman one time and now I’m being sued for everything.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

enki42 posted:

Canada was 14 until shockingly recently (just looked it up and the change was made in 2008). AFAIK, there wasn't even any subtlety to the law like there was in Mexico.

Age of consent reform is a pretty modern phenomenon, and it's hardly the only sex crimes related reform that is depressingly recent. People were dodging rape charges as recently as the late 70's because the victim happened to be their spouse,

quote:

In the United States, prior to the mid-1970s marital rape was exempted from ordinary rape laws. The exemption is also found in the 1962 Model Penal Code, which stated that "A male who has sexual intercourse with a female not his wife is guilty of rape if: (...)".

In the Oregon v. Rideout case in December 1978, a jury acquitted John Rideout of raping his wife. This led many American states to allow prosecution for marital and cohabitation rape.

In some states, courts have struck down the marital exemption as unconstitutional. In the 1984 New York Court of Appeals case of People v. Liberta, judge Sol Wachtler stated that "a marriage license should not be viewed as a license for a husband to forcibly rape his wife with impunity. A married woman has the same right to control her own body as does an unmarried woman". Similarly, in Alabama, the marital exemptions from the sodomy law (Williams v. State (1986)) and from the rape law (Merton v. State (1986)) were found unconstitutional.

And many states still have requirements, limitations, or qualifiers on rapes committed against a spouse or partner. A common one is the "mental incapacitation" exemption. I.e., someone can drug their spouse without that person's knowledge or consent, have sex with them and it's not considered rape.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 27, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
But is it more progressive to have a higher age or lower age :thunk:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shaocaholica posted:

But is it more progressive to have a higher age or lower age :thunk:

I think the laws should be such that a high school senior isn't a registered sex offender for life because they had consensual sex with a high school junior, but after age, like 20ish the other person needs to be 18.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bust Rodd posted:

I remember looking this up for a bet because we were so sure it would be a southern state with the lowest AoC but apparently 12 was legal in Delaware until like 60 years ago.

As known cool woke dude and representative Delawarean Joe Biden once said, the only reason they didn’t secede was they didn’t share a border with Virginia

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 27, 2019

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Skwirl posted:

I think the laws should be such that a high school senior isn't a registered sex offender for life because they had consensual sex with a high school junior, but after age, like 20ish the other person needs to be 18.

I think I'd maybe take it a little farther and say they need to at least be old enough to drink if you're over 25. Being in your late-20's or early-30's (or... older) and having to plan a date around where you can't legally take your date is pretty skeevy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's skeevy as hell for a 35 year old to date a 19 year old, but I don't think it should be a criminal offense.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Half your age + 7 is the best rule for dating as an adult in terms of weirdness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shoulda been our girl Emilia Clarke.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Bust Rodd posted:

Half your age + 7 is the best rule for dating as an adult in terms of weirdness.

It honestly makes more sense as a graduated age of consent than anything else

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bust Rodd posted:

My sole caveat here is that while a 20 year old should probably not be legally barred from dating a 17 year old, it does make you a big loving loser

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you wanna blow your mind as a US citizen try talking to UK folks who’ve got a normalized 16 year old age of consent in 2019. I feel like it’s way more common to just openly date teens as an adult over there, but that’s only anecdotal from the handful of British friends I have.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

If you wanna blow your mind as a US citizen try talking to UK folks who’ve got a normalized 16 year old age of consent in 2019. I feel like it’s way more common to just openly date teens as an adult over there, but that’s only anecdotal from the handful of British friends I have.

16 year olds can go to bars in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bust Rodd posted:

Gets weird when you're really old.

Half your age + 8 rounded down or 21 whichever is lower.

14/15 <- Gets inverted here too
16/16
18/17
20/18
21/18
22/19
24/20
26/21

After 26 you can sex up anyone 21 or older.