Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

beejay posted:

It kind of feels like the hitbox thing is getting blown out of proportion since there are enough characters that you can be guaranteed to get one of the “good” ones, right? Of course it makes things a little stale but it’s not game destroying.

I don't think it is being blown out of propotion. Some characters are more than twice the size of others. That is huuuuuuuuuge in an FPS.

Most players want variety. Good games die when they let the meta grow stale. You have have the same heroes using the exact same weapons in every game and it gets boring.

Hell, I would argue that preventing it from going stale is more important than absolute balance. Games are much more fun when the meta game is a nebulous unknown and not a solved equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

beejay posted:

It kind of feels like the hitbox thing is getting blown out of proportion since there are enough characters that you can be guaranteed to get one of the “good” ones, right? Of course it makes things a little stale but it’s not game destroying.

The irony is that the 3-4 smallest characters also have the best abilities by and large, so they'd still be the most common picks

Xae posted:

Games are much more fun when the meta game is a nebulous unknown and not a solved equation.

FWIW they have stated multiple times that while they'll strive for balance, they do plan on regularly changing the weapon meta.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 27, 2019

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Amazing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Fart Car '97 posted:

FWIW they have stated multiple times that while they'll strive for balance, they do plan on regularly changing the weapon meta.

In fact, today's update says just that!

quote:

THE META

We’ve been listening to player feedback and going through the mountains of data we get from the game. Soon we’ll be talking more about how we think about live balance for Apex Legends and some of the changes to expect to the meta.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
What always amazes me is how MLG ELITE twitcch streamers just know where enemies are and where they are coming from but that's probably the weakest part of my game even with my perfectly mediocre headset i still get smashed in the side more often than not.

I can't hear poo poo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Basscop posted:

What always amazes me is how MLG ELITE twitcch streamers just know where enemies are and where they are coming from but that's probably the weakest part of my game even with my perfectly mediocre headset i still get smashed in the side more often than not.

I can't hear poo poo

See I can do this fine I just can't aim

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW Gibaltar's ultimate is sooooo good, if you don't have a Lifeline in your squad (or even if you do - yeah I said it) and find Ultimate Accelerants, feed 'em to the big man. I swear I get an average of one kill every time I pop that thing, it's nuts.

dogstile posted:

See I can do this fine I just can't aim

My biggest two weaknesses are a decent aim but over-aggression (i.e. I'll try to get in your face but I'm not actually good enough to beat you) and bad player prediction, somebody goes out of my sight and I guess wrong ALL the time, or I completely lose situational awareness and get blindsided.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Basscop posted:

I can't hear poo poo

If you are a old person or someone with tinnitus (like me) set up audio compression to level out sound levels. It most stops really loud spikes in sound but also raises lower sounds.

Conversely you can just play with your volume up crazy amounts

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 27, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd like to see the Mozambique and P2020 buffed and both to get a hopup that materializes a second one to dualwield without having to have another set of attachments for each one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I am convinced - and I mean absolutely 100% convinced - that they're going to put an AMPED hop-up out there that just makes your weapon better. They had this in Titanfall 2 and they seemed to love it (although it got majorly toned down over the course of the game). If they do this, I wouldn't be surprised if the AMPED hopup turns the Mozambique into the Mozambeast.

BTW I think that dual-wield would help the Mozambique but wouldn't help the P2020, which already fires as fast as you can pull the trigger.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Free Cheese posted:

Balloon changes are a slight bummer

Maybe don't exploit bugs?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Thank you. I spent as much time on those as Respawn spent on the hitboxes. :nallears::hf::smith:

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Im not even talking about the exploit, the flying in general is a little less fun without the little hover thing you could do but whatev

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah before if you looked straight up you could hover for a tiny bit more distance, some paths actually look like they were set up for it.

Shame it's gone.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

dogstile posted:

Yeah before if you looked straight up you could hover for a tiny bit more distance, some paths actually look like they were set up for it.

Shame it's gone.

The streamers I saw would all look straight up and then freelook the camera when ballooning.

sabbathi
Sep 20, 2017

Turtlicious posted:

Download AimLab or AimHero or CSGO and one of those free aim training maps and just practice for at least 15 minutes, but upwards of an hour everyday before you play, with your sensitivity set to perfectly match your in game settings.

e: You're probably not losing because of reaction time and aim though. None of these games are ever decided by reaction time and aim. It's always game sense, map knowledge, and situational awareness.

Sorry in advance for asking about a post a billion pages ago, but have you noticed any long term improvement with Aim Lab? I've been at it for a few days per your recommendation, and I think I've got better a bit, but I'm not sure if I'm just imagining things.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The streamers I saw would all look straight up and then freelook the camera when ballooning.

Yeah but it's not like it gave you some momentum, it just let you glider over the weird arches that look like you're supposed to glide over

Seems weird they took it out, wasn't really game breaking imo

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

dogstile posted:

Yeah but it's not like it gave you some momentum, it just let you glider over the weird arches that look like you're supposed to glide over

It could be abused in combination with wall-hugging to glide far further than they intend you to be able to. I don't think it's a shocking move they removed it. Saying it "just" let you glide over arches isn't fully describing how it could be abused.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There needs to be an Aim Labs for console. Amazed that there isn't. Could make a lot of money.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
I'm not playing apex to be a fuckin landlubber bring back the glide

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

seriously considering buying a xim for my ps4 lol

panda clue
May 23, 2014

dogstile posted:

Most of the more experienced players/streamers already think the base balloons are too powerful. More than that gives too much map mobility and basically destroys any idea of being well positioned.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

panda clue posted:

Most of the more experienced players/streamers already think the base balloons are too powerful. More than that gives too much map mobility and basically destroys any idea of being well positioned.

I actually prefer that. Mobile death squads should punish bunkered cowards. It's not like you couldn't just abuse it yourself.

I'd understand if nobody except X character had it but literally everyone can use them.

Fart Car '97 posted:

It could be abused in combination with wall-hugging to glide far further than they intend you to be able to. I don't think it's a shocking move they removed it. Saying it "just" let you glide over arches isn't fully describing how it could be abused.

So tweak it so you only hover once or something, just removing it is boring imo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

dogstile posted:

I actually prefer that. Mobile death squads should punish bunkered cowards.

No, what actually happens is you spot a squad, reposition for a cut-off when the ring closes, and they fly over your heads. It does almost nothing to punish "bunkered cowards" who already have position in the next ring.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 27, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has anyone done any testing of how the barrel and stock attachments effect the shootiness of the guns? I'm curious what exactly the stocks effect and if the golden barrel mod turns a gun into a laser pointer.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No, what actually happens is you spot a squad, reposition for a cut-off when the ring closes, and they fly over your heads. It does almost nothing to punish "bunkered cowards" who already have position in the next ring.

So you're telling me that counterplay is the reason its bad? You wanna bunker in the next zone and force them to fight through you?

zzzzzz

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Pathfinder benefits from some areas only being reachable with him on your team. He is actually not replaceable with other groups. Gibralter doesn't really have that--his shield is cool but other groups have inferior yet still effective area blockers (Bangalore) and Bangalore also has an air strike thing so yeah it's kinda an issue. Caustic is just weird and I hardly ever see him

panda clue
May 23, 2014

dogstile posted:

So you're telling me that counterplay is the reason its bad?

The counterplay to someone better than you dropping on you arbitrarily is to be a 'bunkered coward'.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

rap music posted:

seriously considering buying a xim for my ps4 lol

Does Apex support m+kb on PS4? There were PS3 games that used to do that (Dust514 comes to mind) and it was hilarious!

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

corn in the bible posted:

Pathfinder benefits from some areas only being reachable with him on your team. He is actually not replaceable with other groups. Gibralter doesn't really have that--his shield is cool but other groups have inferior yet still effective area blockers (Bangalore) and Bangalore also has an air strike thing so yeah it's kinda an issue. Caustic is just weird and I hardly ever see him

Just played a caustic game. Had a pretty small ring and set up in a two story house.
Two squads were pushed by the ring and walked into our toxic deathpit.

Then we got sandwiched when the ring closed on is.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has anyone done any testing of how the barrel and stock attachments effect the shootiness of the guns? I'm curious what exactly the stocks effect and if the golden barrel mod turns a gun into a laser pointer.

You bring up another issue. The training ground should have all items for messing around. I can tell you in the hundreds of deaths I've suffered and handful of kills I've gotten that the Purp and Gold gun attachments really do help make guns laser pointers. Super limited time shooting to take my input with a grain of salt. But I've felt like my later staged Alternator is better hip fired then my stage 1 Alternator.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

No clue on numbers or percentages, but from dicking around with a lot of Spitfires and Prowlers, kitting one out means less recoil and a significantly smaller bloom.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

scuz posted:

Any advice on dealing with mouse float/lag? Maybe it was just years of CS1.6/S/GO that spoiled me, but no matter what I do, my mouse is just a little loosey-goosey even with my 144hz monitor. Things I've tried involve disabling vsync, updating drivers, disabling any monitor processing nonsense. Mouse is a Logitech G203, my cats are tuxedo and holstein colored, and my chair is okay.

Check the polling rate, if its 500 try 1000, if 1000 try 500. Is that a g/free sync monitor?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

ApexData.gg has stats (but I'm not sure if they're datamined or tested):
  • Barrel stabilizers are -10/15/20/25% recoil
  • Legendary flash hider is -20% recoil
  • Standard stocks are -15/20/25% draw/holster/zoom time and -15/25/40% ADS time
  • Sniper stocks are -15/20/25% draw/holster/zoom time and -30/50/80% ADS time

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How does a Battle Pass normally work? I haven't really played since Dota 2 put there's in but I know it has special challenges/achievements and not just "get a thing when you level up" like I think the Fortnite one is. I really hope it has stuff like get 10 grenade kills for a bonus like how CoD MW did.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Does Apex support m+kb on PS4? There were PS3 games that used to do that (Dust514 comes to mind) and it was hilarious!

yep

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

So you're telling me that counterplay is the reason its bad? You wanna bunker in the next zone and force them to fight through you?

zzzzzz
Yeah, gently caress anyone for thinking ahead and trying to position themselves in an advantageous position, possibly even picking a character who helps facilitate that, in favor of being able to reposition fairly effortlessly.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
No it doesn't. You can get a Xim and "trick" the Ps4 into thinking your MnK is a controller though. Then you have a MnK that has aim-assist too! Wow! So cool! :barf:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There needs to be an Aim Labs for console. Amazed that there isn't. Could make a lot of money.

Hold left trigger then right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Has anyone tried just plugging a usb m+kb into a PS4 and seeing if it works? :science: