Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

I can't get over the leap in logic that Scrooge spent insane amounts of money trying to find Della and couldn't spot here on the dang front of the moon

Theory crafting...

Wormholes maybe? About the only thing that's coming to mind. Meaning it spit her out about 10 years later for whatever reason.

I'm rather intrigued to see how they're going to use her within the show going forward. In the most recent comix? It's her, Donald and Scrooge going on adventures together.

Wondering if they can pull that off or would the crew become too crowded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kidcoelacanth posted:

I can't get over the leap in logic that Scrooge spent insane amounts of money trying to find Della and couldn't spot here on the dang front of the moon

Look, they're also family friends with the actual Goddess of the moon, you're going to have to just suspend your disbelief on this one.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It might have taken Della a long time just to get back to the moon.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Issue 13 of the Caramanga comics was fantastic!

"The Mighty Ducks of Duckburg!" is a great story and one I wish we could see come to life on the show.

Also does anyone else love Margo Martindale as Ma Beagle? I LOVED her in BoJack and she does insanely well playing the character.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

FuzzySkinner posted:

Issue 13 of the Caramanga comics was fantastic!

"The Mighty Ducks of Duckburg!" is a great story and one I wish we could see come to life on the show.

Also does anyone else love Margo Martindale as Ma Beagle? I LOVED her in BoJack and she does insanely well playing the character.

I mean, they called her "Beloved Character Actress Margo Martindale" as a gag but it was also very much not a joke.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
She should legally change her name to Beloved Character Actress Margo Martindale because I will never refer to her as anything else, and I doubt I'm alone in this.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FuzzySkinner posted:

There's not a lot of space between Ma Beagle and Mags Bennett

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Any way to get the current comics online? They were on Comixology for a while but disappeared.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Any way to get the current comics online? They were on Comixology for a while but disappeared.

They're available through IDW's proprietary app, but apparently it's a flaming pile of garbage, so good luck with that one.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Online? I've seen a few posted on youtube for whatever reason. I'd try there.

Offline? I can be of better help.

First Graphic Novel (containing issues 0-2) is at Wal-Mart for some reason now. (If you're American)
If you have a small comic book shop nearby? I'd recommend giving them some biz.
Not sure how well stocked they are on the back issues but there's a good chance you'll find the more recent ones out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Carl Barks's comics are very easy to buy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
He's actually right for once. You can find both the original Barks comics and digital versions of the new comics for Kindle on Amazon. That's probably the easiest way to get any of them, tbh.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Those comics have all sorts of interesting ideas, like that children go to school, that people have normal lives, and Duckburg consists of a community.

There's also all kinds of interesting narratives. Back to the Klondike is an interesting story about modernity. Scrooge McDuck is introduced as a nervous old man losing his wits, but is shown to have been once a grizzled frontier hero who defeated countless crooks and a gold rush fem-hen fatale. And all that gets negated in the present where he's repeatedly humiliated mentally, socially, and physically, and then turns into a claim jumper and loan shark.

The same happens to Goldie O'Glitter, who's become just a miserable old woman trying to eke out a living.

This reversal is also reflected in the bizarrely complex relationship between Scrooge and Goldie, which is so obviously child-inappropriate that the entire flashback sequence was cut during the original publication. It was not enough for Barks to merely write a pulp kidnapping romance between a grizzled frontiersman and a dance hall woman – and where both parties are waterfowl – but he also burlesques his own creation when both parties meet again as old codgers long past their prime.

You know, there's this Sherlock Holmes called Irene Adler, whose claim to fame is being the only person to have ever outwitted Holmes. At first she's presented as a ruthless blackmailer whose ambitions have international consequences, but that turns out to be a fabrication. All Adler wants is to be left alone now that she's respectably married.

In newer adaptations, she's bizarrely turned into a deadly superspy for some reason. Her original character was intelligent and adventurous, but in the end she was a fairly normal person whose greatest desire was to settle down. It reminds me of something, but I just cant put my finger on it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 28, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It reminds me of something, but I just cant put my finger on it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

:siren: Saturday! :siren:

https://twitter.com/TannerTrue/status/1103870284732350464

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
This thread better be a CIA document on Saturday.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What time is this airing?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Out now on the Disney Now app!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA

Watched with my son, once I told him that's Scrooge's niece, his reply was, "Ah, that makes sense."

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Well, they answered several of my questions adequately. :shobon:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
How do I watch it if I don't have cable?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Gosh dang if I didn't have a huge smile when the song kicked in

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If this episode isn’t on Amazon before I get ready in the morning HEADS WILL ROLL. LOOKIN’ AT YOU BEZOS

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

How do I watch it if I don't have cable?

You either buy the episodes on Amazon weeks later or pirate then.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
well, i certainly see now why everyone says dewey reminds them of his mom

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I’m quite surprised and delighted at how hard they’ve leaned into using the Moon Theme this year.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Them using the moon theme is like something nerds would come up with that would be awesome but would never happen BUT THEN IT HAPPENED :monocle:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This was probably my favorite episode so far. I'm a sucker for focused single-character episodes and also I was super excited for the Moon theme so the usage of that was great too.

Also:

https://twitter.com/FrankAngones/status/1104423752270438400

edit2: New Episodes in May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGzKHjx4GrY

Senerio fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 10, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have no clue when Google will upload the episode but hope it's a matter of hours and not weeks.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I love how they leaned into the complete lack of realism in this episode. A cosmic storm is a literal storm complete with clouds and lightning. You can breathe in space just fine so long as you have a single stick of gum. A photograph can flutter though the complete lack of air on the Moon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't the gum actually the excuse they put into the remake of the NES game from a few years back, as well?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I love how they leaned into the complete lack of realism in this episode. A cosmic storm is a literal storm complete with clouds and lightning. You can breathe in space just fine so long as you have a single stick of gum. A photograph can flutter though the complete lack of air on the Moon.

She did explicitly say that there was a "thin Lunar atmosphere" when talking about the gum. Given the way the episode went, of course there's a thin atmosphere on the moon in this setting. Also sidesteps a bunch of other realism questions.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

maltesh posted:

She did explicitly say that there was a "thin Lunar atmosphere" when talking about the gum. Given the way the episode went, of course there's a thin atmosphere on the moon in this setting. Also sidesteps a bunch of other realism questions.

There is a Lunar atmosphere. It's so thin her blood would boil off, but it's there. As it is, I think the cosmic storm clouds did a good job setting the realism tone.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't the gum actually the excuse they put into the remake of the NES game from a few years back, as well?

Yup, there was a cutscene at the beginning of the moon level with Gyro explaining the gum to Scrooge and Fenton as he dropped them off.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The gum was also providing her with all the food and water she needed.

It's pretty great gum! And it comes in the best flavor!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That gum is a crime against humanity and Gyro is now a war criminal. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

That gum is a crime against humanity and Gyro is now a war criminal. :colbert:

I love how Gyro continues to find new ways to be a massive rear end in a top hat without even physically showing up.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I really enjoy that the fact that it's licorice flavor is a completely valid reason why it's not the most important item in the world

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

There is a Lunar atmosphere. It's so thin her blood would boil off, but it's there. As it is, I think the cosmic storm clouds did a good job setting the realism tone.

There is indeed evidence that the moon at one point had an atmosphere of similar composition to Earth's very briefly after its initial creation, but it wasn't large enough to hold onto it through gravity so the sun literally blew it away with its solar winds.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm excited for Della to arrive on Earth with a rocket filled with gold at the end of the season to give Scrooge the edge over Glomgold at the last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The aggressive alien sergeant seems familiar. Reminds me of that TMNT episode with its version of Mona Lisa, and a touch of Peridot.

If anything they might have overdone the moon theme a bit.

Kind of a scary thought that together, Della actually makes Donald look like the down-to-earth, sensible one.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 10, 2019