Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Made Kenji's foolproof pan pizzas for the hundredth time. The best when you're craving that thick slice with the crispy fried bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

large hands posted:

Made Kenji's foolproof pan pizzas for the hundredth time. The best when you're craving that thick slice with the crispy fried bottom.

I am inspired to make pizza tomorrow. Got any specific tips or tricks for Kenji’s recipe?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Those are great because they work in any old lovely oven.

My only tip is to make sure you do the lift step to get the bottom oiled up right before topping and baking, otherwise it sticks and breaks apart for me really easily.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Weigh ingredients, cover the dough tightly and make sure the dough doesn't dry out while fermenting. if it's not stretching, let it rest and try again. Use dry mozzarella.

If you're eating tomorrow, make the dough tonight.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Tried my first big NYC style pizza with my sourdough. My buddy invited me to his shop to cook them in his deck oven, definitely happy with how it turned out. The deck was dirty so the bottom looked more charred than it was. Came out as a nice, thin, crispy NYC slice with a lot of great subtle tang to the dough. It being my first time working that size of dough, I didn't work the edge as well as I could have, thus the big bubble char, but even that was really good.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’m jealous of all these beautiful pizzas. I used to make a pretty mean pie, then my wife had to go gluten free.

Every now and then I’ll still whip one up for some friends, but it’s pretty rare.

I used to get the dough right from my favorite pizza place down the street. Their dough is incredible. Can’t use it anymore though. Took me about two years to finally find a gluten free crust we actually both enjoy.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

, then my wife had to go gluten free.

Not for gluten reasons, but my fiancee often asks for a cauliflower base for her pizza. I make it alongside my flour ones. Dough scales nicely so it's possible to have it both ways

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Heners_UK posted:

Not for gluten reasons, but my fiancee often asks for a cauliflower base for her pizza. I make it alongside my flour ones. Dough scales nicely so it's possible to have it both ways

Yeah occasionally I’ll do two separate doughs, but I’ve been getting lazy too because he dough is so easy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Democratic Pirate posted:

All these goons makin pizza is not helping my urge to get a pizza oven.

When I do, I’m definitely going to buy or make my own habanero honey to drizzle on top. The spice and sweetness takes a normal pizza over the top based on my experiences at restaurants.

Do you have a grill?

If so, you already have a pizza oven.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I have enough Google Play credit saved up for a CAD$20 pizza book.

Is the recommendation still for The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish? I know The Pizza Bible by Tom Gemignani was also mentioned and there's My Pizza by Jim Lehey.

Already have Baking with Steel.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I’ve been really digging Mastering Pizza by Marc Vetri. It’s very Italian (so you get formulations for Naples-style and al taglio pizzas but not NY style.) He’s very clear about the dough formulations you want for different styles and different ovens. I’ve used Forkish and Lahey, but I’ve had the most success following Vetri.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Made pizza! This is Vetri's Roman-style dough (67% hydration) as pizza Lombarda (fennel sausage, egg):

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
loving want. I have a serious problem of wanting to make and eat more pizza when when I already have lots of pizza in the freezer. It's a struggle.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm convinced! Buying the book with Play Credit.

EDIT: I mean Mastering Pizza: The Art and Practice of Handmade Pizza, Focaccia, and Calzone by Marc Vetri & David Joachim

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 21, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

loving want. I have a serious problem of wanting to make and eat more pizza when when I already have lots of pizza in the freezer. It's a struggle.

Frozen pizza? Throw that poo poo out

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Look I'm not 20 anymore I can't just smash a whole pizza one sitting solo np :(

There's gonna be leftovers.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

Look I'm not 20 anymore I can't just smash a whole pizza one sitting solo np :(

I'm not 20 anymore and somehow can slam a whole pizza in one sitting, and even garlic bread and unwanted crusts from my fiancee too. How I keep serious weight off is a mystery to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just made an amazing fathead pizza. I know it's nothing to brag about compared to the amazing stuff you guys are posting photos of, but for someone on keto who was having SERIOUS pizza cravings I was awestruck at both how great it tasted, and how easy it was to make.

As you can see I put basically zero effort into actually forming it, but it still came out great. Thankfully I still had my old pizza stone so the base and crust came out super crispy and it held together as good as any "real" thin crust pizza I've ever made before.

I didn't really experiment much with toppings because I wasn't sold on the whole fathead pizza concept, but now that I know it works I am going to make this a weekly feature and expand with other keto friendly toppings.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I need a new cookbook. The Pizza Bible or The Elements of Pizza?

Note that I'm cooking with a regular oven and want to expand the Neapolitan style pizza I've been making for years. If you could only get one, which book would you get?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bagheera posted:

I need a new cookbook. The Pizza Bible or The Elements of Pizza?

Note that I'm cooking with a regular oven and want to expand the Neapolitan style pizza I've been making for years. If you could only get one, which book would you get?

I only own The Elements of Pizza but it honestly feels like the only book I really need. It covers a lot of the very subject of Neopolitan-style in a regular oven.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Trying a flour blend with the sourdough - 80% Caputo 'OO' and 20% Caputo Americana
NYC-ish sourdough cheese pizza -

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
jesus gently caress

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dude you gotta warn me before you seduce my eyeballs and stomach that hard

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ogopogo posted:

Trying a flour blend with the sourdough - 80% Caputo 'OO' and 20% Caputo Americana
NYC-ish sourdough cheese pizza -

would

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

did it again

cheese and a pepperoni on sourdough

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Where do you live?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

ogopogo posted:

did it again

cheese and a pepperoni on sourdough

I wish to have sex with your pizza

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Holy gently caress, dude.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Splinter posted:

Where do you live?

Open invites to anyone who lives in or visits Las Vegas!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Zombie Dachshund posted:

I’ve been really digging Mastering Pizza by Marc Vetri. It’s very Italian (so you get formulations for Naples-style and al taglio pizzas but not NY style.) He’s very clear about the dough formulations you want for different styles and different ovens. I’ve used Forkish and Lahey, but I’ve had the most success following Vetri.

This this is the very first result. It's the 70% Naples Dough from this book. Cooked to specifications except I had the oven on convect for most of it, just a few blasts under the broiler/grill, when the book appears to call for all broiler for the cook time. I think this is why the base is more cracker like and thicker than "perfect". Keep in mind this is a small complaint because it's a great result, which I credit to the recipe.

I also launched it off the peel with flour for a change. May have to go back to parchment, because as you can see, it stuck to the peel.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 1, 2019

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Heners_UK posted:

This this is the very first result. It's the 70% Naples Dough from this book. Cooked to specifications except I had the oven on convect for most of it, just a few blasts under the broiler/grill, when the book appears to call for all broiler for the cook time. I think this is why the base is more cracker like and thicker than "perfect". Keep in mind this is a small complaint because it's a great result, which I credit to the recipe.

I also launched it off the peel with flour for a change. May have to go back to parchment, because as you can see, it stuck to the peel.

How long did it cook? I find it takes a good while to bring the oven up to heat, and as you saw, you want to cook it under the broiler. Ideally you can get it done in 2-3 minutes, which will keep a pretty moist dough. I've also found that his Roman dough is a lot more forgiving: my recommendation is to start with that as you work on your technique. I still have a long way to go (but it's a fun process!)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
4-6min I'd say. Had the oven on max but noted browning of the cheese before the dough with the broiler.

I'll try a broiler blast of the steel after preheating to really get it hot...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sup nerds

Kenij's Detroit Style pizza

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That looks awesome.

I finally conquered the lovely bottom broiler gas oven NY style (also Kenji's dough recipe).

Cheers!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

That looks awesome.

I finally conquered the lovely bottom broiler gas oven NY style (also Kenji's dough recipe).

Cheers!

I just moved into an apt with gas oven and it's my first bottom broiler. Could you expand?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I just moved into an apt with gas oven and it's my first bottom broiler. Could you expand?

I would also like to know. I've settled on parbaking my crusts, then cooking the pizza, then finishing under the bottom broiler for a minute, but it's definitely less than ideal

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The problem I had with the oven at first was, with the 3/8" thick steel in the main oven, the bottom of the pie would cook and the cheese would melt but the edge wouldn't ever get charred.

I put my steel in the broiler drawer, on top of a broiler pan to just raise it up a bit. It makes the drawer a little difficult to open and the peel just barely fits into the open drawer low enough to launch the pie without turning it into a calzone (though I have a pretty large peel). I use a rigid grill turner (stiff metal spatula) to turn the pizza a couple times and to remove it from the drawer when it's done. All in all its a little more awkward than my old setup in an electric oven with a top element broiler, but it works!

The steel still gets plenty hot in the drawer when I preheat at 500 (the max for the oven), then I can turn on the broiler to high when I'm ready to cook. Popping the door to the oven open every 30 seconds or so keeps the broiler firing instead of shutting off when the max temp is reached. I think this pie took about 3-4 minutes or so.

e; Kenji's NY dough is pretty good as well. Using Bob's Red Mill bread flour and yeast, and mixing in a Kitchenaid with a dough hook. 1 day ferment in the fridge for this batch, I'd like to try another day or so for the next one.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 4, 2019

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Anyone in Vegas for the Pizza Expo?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just got a new food processor and I intend to make pizza with it some time in the next week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I would like to buy one of these the next time I have $110 to spare on pizza toys.

Serious Eats did a review of them awhile back and Kenji loves them.