Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Insurance is very loath to use aftermarket glass on safety-sensitive applications like cars with Eyesight, Honda Sensing, etc. If you have any of these systems your insurance carrier will likely write OEM but you should absolutely be sure that they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Insurance is very loath to use aftermarket glass on safety-sensitive applications like cars with Eyesight, Honda Sensing, etc. If you have any of these systems your insurance carrier will likely write OEM but you should absolutely be sure that they do.

I doubt there’s much AM glass for these systems but if satellite has it you better believe they’re doing the most cost effective method. You could pay the difference out of pocket.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I was shocked they have non-OEM glass with wiper heaters for my subaru. Thankfully, I had 0 deductable glass then.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I doubt there’s much AM glass for these systems but if satellite has it you better believe they’re doing the most cost effective method. You could pay the difference out of pocket.

There is a liability risk, I understand, if they replace the glass with something that then causes the safety system to malfunction and contribute to an accident.

nm posted:

I was shocked they have non-OEM glass with wiper heaters for my subaru. Thankfully, I had 0 deductable glass then.

Heater pads are very normal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There is a liability risk, I understand, if they replace the glass with something that then causes the safety system to malfunction and contribute to an accident.

Heater pads are very normal.

If there’s AM available then it’s designed to be LKQ so the provider of said glass would be on the hook.

I just priced a 2019 Legacy windshield with Safelite and it’s like $1200. Nice.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yes, this is the reason my insurance gave for my CR-V too. Honda billed $900 for the glass plus $250 for sensor recalibration.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Guess I’ll be going with the Honda Civic Hatchback. Thanks for the responses.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Proposed Budget: 15k-25k
New or Used: new or current/recent gen used
Body Style: 4 door compact or subcompact, preferably a hatchback. Manual or automatic ok.
How will you be using the car?: only car for the household- primarily a Boston metro area commuter car, with combined city/highway miles
What aspects are most important to you: reliability, handles well for city driving, versatility despite smaller size, decent safety, would be nice if it isn’t a complete drag to drive

We’re initially looking at the Civic hatch, Impreza hatch, Fit, or an Accent (if we want to stick on the cheaper side of our budget). Other suggestions welcome, and we haven’t done any test drives yet. This would replace a 10 year old Ford Focus sedan that was cheap and functional but mediocre (and now probably totaled after being rear ended :().

One other thing, not a dealbreaker, but we’re not super excited about a lot of infotainment/active driver assist features. Unless they’re very good, we’d rather they are unobtrusive or nonexistent.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You should buy a mazda2 even though the most recent one is 5 years old.
Manual, it is the most fun car in the segment.
The automatic is a dog though.
You'll be able to buy 2 for $15k.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Maybe add a Mazda 3 and Forte5 in there? I would have also suggested the Prius, but it's certainly a drag to drive. The new Corolla HB starts at $20k msrp so you could go that direction too. Most will probably say the Civic is best in class if you are ok with the looks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mazda3 checks all your boxes and has the benefit of more proven powertrain tech than the Civic - also does not look like complete garbage

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

nm posted:

You should buy a mazda2

Scion/ Toyota iA is the new Mazda 2; supposed to be fun in a "slow car driven fast way", but if you want unobtrusive tech lol enjoy the tablet sticking out of the dash.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Scion/ Toyota iA is the new Mazda 2; supposed to be fun in a "slow car driven fast way", but if you want unobtrusive tech lol enjoy the tablet sticking out of the dash.

Isn't it auto only? It's also ugly as sin.
Comedy option: import a mazda 2 from PR. They're 50 state legal.
I've been seeing them all over CDMX in that red color and it is making me jealous.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

nm posted:

Isn't it auto only? It's also ugly as sin.
Comedy option: import a mazda 2 from PR. They're 50 state legal.
I've been seeing them all over CDMX in that red color and it is making me jealous.

Not unless they only just dropped it. Buying a used stick iA has been one of my plans for a newish car the day I finally convince myself to buy somerhing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/yaris-ia

"Slow Car Fast

The Mazda MX-5 Miata has long been a poster child for the joys of driving a slow car fast, but with a zero-to-60-mph time under six seconds, the MX-5 isn’t so slow anymore. Let us propose the Yaris iA as a new representative of that idea. It’s certainly slow—8.7 seconds to 60 mph and a 16.8-second quarter-mile at 84 mph—and yet is a joy to drive quickly, thanks to a smooth and satisfying shifter, nicely weighted steering with great on-center feel, and a rev-happy little four-cylinder."

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 27, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why does every goon want a hatchback? I swear its 90% of the posts here but only 3% of the car market in the USA.

Do all goons need extra space to put funko pops in the back? Is it a 20 something male IT guy thing to have room for hobbies and RC planes?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

zapplez posted:

Why does every goon want a hatchback? I swear its 90% of the posts here but only 3% of the car market in the USA.

Do all goons need extra space to put funko pops in the back? Is it a 20 something male IT guy thing to have room for hobbies and RC planes?

I have also wondered about this. That and loving wagons. The answer you'll get is "practicality while retaining sportiness / low seating position".

Personally I'm ok with a sedan. I think a hatch might be significantly louder, plus the only benefit I'd get personally is being able to carry a bike maybe without taking off the front wheel.

Sedans and sedan hatches are dying I know, but I'd prefer to be shot before I own a Nissan Rogue.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 28, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

General question,

I had a convertible for work as a rental a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it - a Mazda Miata. I'm kind of thinking maybe this summer I'd purchase a convertible but I'm curious is there anything I am going to hate after owning it for a few months? I won't be in a state with much rain and little to no snow. The only thing that did bother me was the road noise occasionally making it difficult to talk a passenger, slightly higher auto insurance (I'm 33) and it seems that I'd lose badly against any other car especially if it's a roadster.

Thoughts?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Tab8715 posted:

General question,

I had a convertible for work as a rental a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it - a Mazda Miata. I'm kind of thinking maybe this summer I'd purchase a convertible but I'm curious is there anything I am going to hate after owning it for a few months? I won't be in a state with much rain and little to no snow. The only thing that did bother me was the road noise occasionally making it difficult to talk a passenger, slightly higher auto insurance (I'm 33) and it seems that I'd lose badly against any other car especially if it's a roadster.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6cz4cR5zw

Doesn't seem to do terribly. I'm not sure why there's such a lack of crash test results for the MX-5 online.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On a side note, I probably wouldn't go with the Miata but maybe 2-Series or something just a bit bigger. It's a snug fit at 6'2 and my concern was a collision with a say an SUV. The height difference is crazy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

zapplez posted:

Goons are more likely to live in the city, I think. And I think generally the hatch "form" is a thing, hence CUVs, but that doesn't work as well in urban areas and we're all sweaty single nerds anyhow.

Sedans in small cars look terrible and are less practical. There may be a slight noise advantage, but generally it comes down to how the car is built.

nm fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 28, 2019

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

General question,

Thoughts?

I've owned a FIAT 124 for 2 1/2 years and the only drawback is the inability to haul stuff. I have to borrow my wife's van if I need to make a lumber run to Home Depot. Otherwise, it's been pretty great.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zapplez posted:

I loved how much I could fit in my hatch for how small it was. I didn't always need it, but I could transport a lawn mower or a set of tires or a 60" TV or a desk or help with moving when the need arose.

I ended up getting a new wagon even though it's a bit more room than I need. I looked at sedans, but personally, I found all of them boring looking. Yes, I think a station wagon looks better than a sedan.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

General question,

Thoughts?

New or used?

Daily driver or second fun car?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw a Buick Cascada in real life yesterday and it's a surprisingly good looking car. You can probably get them for next to nothing. Well that's my story.

EDIT: There's also the Mustang and Camaro verts.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Something Offal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6cz4cR5zw

Doesn't seem to do terribly. I'm not sure why there's such a lack of crash test results for the MX-5 online.

4 stars in a modern car is actually pretty bad.

That being said, enjoy your life and have fun with a convertible. Its much better as a 2nd car than a daily driver though.

And get a mustang instead.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

New or used?

Daily driver or second fun car?

Used. Budget is $16-22k or basically whenever I find something interesting in decent shape that's a good deal. I'm a little impartial to the BMW Z4 since I've seen it describe as a more comfortable and slightly larger Miata with the added benefit of finding one in a manual transmission seems to be much more likely.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

zapplez posted:

4 stars in a modern car is actually pretty bad.

That being said, enjoy your life and have fun with a convertible. Its much better as a 2nd car than a daily driver though.

And get a mustang instead.

How's that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Used. Budget is $16-22k or basically whenever I find something interesting in decent shape that's a good deal. I'm a little impartial to the BMW Z4 since I've seen it describe as a more comfortable and slightly larger Miata with the added benefit of finding one in a manual transmission seems to be much more likely.

the Miata is way more available in stick than the Z4, friend. Get an ND if you get one.

The Mustang is a different car. Big power, good handling, high weight. The Miata is low power, great handling, and light. It all depends on what you want. The Miata is a fine daily provided it's a) comfortable to you and b) you don't care about hauling people or stuff at all.

You could also consider a S2000, you can get a decent enough one in your price range.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What is the saddest convertible ever made? A car that should never have been?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

PT Cruiser?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anything with t-tops?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Easy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

No way, those are cool. Especially when they stuffed the GT-R engine in it for fun. Manufacturers committing to crazy car ideas is always cool.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sebring / 200 just screams giving up on life

the murano crosscab rules poo poo, it's so dumb it's cool

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Sebring convertible I rode in once sounded like a dying whale and had so much body flex I thought the frame was going to snap on every corner. I'd agree it's the worst convertible.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The SSR might be an ugly pointless car...truck...thing but iirc they all came with the LS2 and were available with a stick so at least it had that going on.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, fellas. Girlfriend and I have never bought a car before; our cars were handmedowns from parents and they've lasted us a good while but simultaneously both our cars have died and we need a new one. We don't drive very much, but when we do it's usually on 60+ mile trips on the freeway. We don't have a lot of money (5,000 bux maybe max) and we just need one single car.

Found this one. It's a Used 2004 Saturn L-Series L300 for 2,000 dollars, 97,000 miles.

...can someone tell me if this is a suspicious price? Or is this a garbage vehicle?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Apparently there was a Cavalier Convertible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Hey, fellas. Girlfriend and I have never bought a car before; our cars were handmedowns from parents and they've lasted us a good while but simultaneously both our cars have died and we need a new one. We don't drive very much, but when we do it's usually on 60+ mile trips on the freeway. We don't have a lot of money (5,000 bux maybe max) and we just need one single car.

Found this one. It's a Used 2004 Saturn L-Series L300 for 2,000 dollars, 97,000 miles.

...can someone tell me if this is a suspicious price? Or is this a garbage vehicle?

Price seems correct to me. They aren't garbage but they are a dime a dozen. FWIW I had a Saturn S series that went 8 years with nothing aside from oil changes, brakes, and tires. Not sure if the L Series is quite as stout but provided nothing is seriously wrong with it, I think you could do worse for 2 grand.