Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Aramoro posted:

I'm sure there's going to be a point at some point in the next couple of years where all the brand new Mongo systems people have been making start falling apart under the weight of system updates and poorly constructed data storage.

The worst part is trying to explain to people that it's different from RDBMS. Like we use an ORM to support MS SQL and Oracle. Someone wanted to know how long it would take to make it work on Azure SQL, MySQL and MongoDB. They just couldn't grasp why the estimates were like couple of days for Azure SQL, 2 weeks for MySQL and 2 years for MongoDB.

but MongoDB is web scale…?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

eschaton posted:

but MongoDB is web scale…?

*Pipes all my data to /dev/null*

CHECK MY BENCHMARKS.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
what's wrong with java beans? like i just use them as a pile of data and works for me?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Wheany posted:

what's wrong with java beans? like i just use them as a pile of data and works for me?

Nothing is wrong with them, people just try to use them in a way they weren't intended for and wail about how poo poo they are because they don't handle their corner case very well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not actually sure what problem beans were intended to solve.

Generally I have trouble understanding things if I don't actually understand the motivation behind them, so that might be why I think they're dumb as hell. Or maybe they're just dumb regardless, idk.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Wheany posted:

beans are supposed to magical, so you can get/send the objects for the code that does the work directly to/from the serializer. but if you don't want setters all they are is another layer that you have to use. which is the same as say, using protobufs, but now without other lang support

plus making your code objects into a protocol is the same stupid mistake you see with ORMs, Serializable, etc. ; it works well the first time, but versioning is hell

and most of the bean stuff is wired up to Enterprise Grade code with the quality that implies

if you like having immutable things, they can't be beans and it's usually stupid to use beans for the things they were designed for

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Penisface posted:

are you sure it is not kafka logs?

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Java beans were intended for use as ui components so they have to be mutable. If you actually want to ship data around then use immutable data objects. Enjoy getting run time errors when you inevitably forget to fill out the entire builder.

The whole get set prefix thing where you have to decapitalize the first letter of the accessor name to find the property name is also bad. Java nio handles accessor naming better.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
kotlin's data classes+named parameters alone are worth using the language.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
ctps:

to login to a remote web service, you're supposed to POST on the login endpoint
code:
{
	"Username": "fartz",
	"Password": "toot",
	"SiteId": "912739192873981237917238981"
}
so i made a login object in java, like i've made a billion times before
code:
@Data
public class Login {
    @JsonProperty("Username")
    private String userName;
    @JsonProperty("Password")
    private String password;
    @JsonProperty("SiteId")
    private String siteId;
}
except this time i added an @AllArgsConstructor to the class too, just so i could easily instantiate an object wihtout having to set the fields with setters. i tested it, it worked fine locally. i commit and go test it on our development server. it fails.

my ide automatically ran cleanup on commit and i have set it to automatically sort the members alphabetically (for reasons).

so the field order in the class changed to password-siteid-username, and so did the constructor argument order. :o:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
dont use lombok

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
java beans are good, lombok is good, spring is good, dont @ me

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

dont use lombok

lombok is something I feel I don't quite 'get', like I'm missing something about it. I've never been sitting there under a mountain of unwritten constructors etc thinking 'There's got be a better way!'. It feels like a heavyweight solution to really edge-casey problems.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
it does too much magic at compile time by hooking into unpublished APIs. that just screams "i'm going to break something here" to me.

also requiring a plugin in an IDE to understand the annotations? thanks, but no thanks.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

never give the mongo people your contact info, their sales people are very aggressive

i don't know how they got it. i found out other members on my team get them too

(bolding was in the email)

quote:

The largest challenge that I face is battling the misconception that MongoDB is a niche database. I strongly believe that there is not a use case where MongoDB is not a fit. In fact, I believe that MongoDB is not only a fit for all use cases, I believe it is the best database on the planet for all use cases.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sapozhnik posted:

If you actually want to ship data around then use immutable data objects. Enjoy getting run time errors when you inevitably forget to fill out the entire builder.

no worse than getting runtime errors when you forget to call all the set methods. better, even, because you get the error at the point of construction rather than a random npe somewhere completely different

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

i don't know how they got it. i found out other members on my team get them too

(bolding was in the email)

i want to embed this person into, like, a risk management unit at an insurer or so and see how many days they last

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
anyone have any recommendations for setting up my terminal to look good at 80 character width? good looking minimal PS1s, fonts, etc. i traditionally arrange my shell horizontally below my ide but i want to try working with a vertical layout instead.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 26, 2019

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

anyone have any recommendations for setting up my terminal to look good at 80 character width? good looking minimal PS1s, fonts, etc. i traditionally arrange my shell horizontally below my ide but i want to try working with a vertical layout instead.

https://github.com/LazoCoder/Pokemon-Terminal

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

I just work under the assumption that good programming fonts make for good console fonts.

As a result, I always install Inconsolata as my font after having read this article back in the day. I understand Consolas is solid too.

Granted, the article is now ten years old, so there are many other options now.

And of course if you want you can always try Fira Code :getin:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fira code crew checking in. there is also a similar font made by russian coding community that was also quite good, but i always forget what it’s called - didn’t like the ligatures. it had a www ligature that shaped www bottom outline as (

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I hope the Slowpoke skin comes with like 2ms of input lag

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'm rockin Borg Sans Mono over here. Gotta have my cross hash zero

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm trying to decide if I should install a font with ligatures or if that would just drive me insane

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Fool posted:

I'm trying to decide if I should install a font with ligatures or if that would just drive me insane

i mean it's not like you have much to lose here from trying it. i like them except for === but luckily i don't see that much.

<= and >= are worth it alone imo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

The Fool posted:

i tried one and didn't like it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

try Cathode for the best looking terminal

and just use \$ for your prompt, if you’re going to insist on 80 columns just go fully old school

eschaton fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 27, 2019

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Or a two line ps1, second line \$

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
p

dick traceroute posted:

Or a two line ps1, second line \$

ya this is what im trying and im not getting used to it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

build simh and run SVR3.2 on the AT&T 3B2 emulator and you’ll get used to it

you can even use the AT&T DMD 5620 emulator with it to get the slickest possible True UNIX Experience

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

loving hell all python pdf libraries support random non-overlapping subsets of the PDF spec, what a nightmare

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

pdfs are the worst everywhere i've ever had to use them

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Chalks posted:

:yeah:

unfortunately still the best for sharing docs tho :(

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chalks posted:

hello i'm from the xml foundation and ..

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I tried using the free version of the Hotspot Shield VPN, and that worked to get past the IP ban in-browser. For some strange reason, though, the server is nevertheless unresponsive when my program makes a request using the requests module, which doesn't make any sense. I tried randomizing the user agent in combination with how the IP address changes when I disconnect and reconnect to the VPN, but it didn't work. Tomorrow I'll have to resort to using Google Translator, the Google cache, or Internet Archive.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Krankenstyle posted:

loving hell all python pdf libraries support random non-overlapping subsets of the PDF spec, what a nightmare

if it helps, this is not unique to python pdf libraries

also, there’s "the spec" and then there’s "what adobe acrobat does", and guess which one users/customers care about

Boiled Water posted:

hello i'm from the xml foundation and ..

pdf spec includes xml so it wins

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

galenanorth posted:

I tried using the free version of the Hotspot Shield VPN, and that worked to get past the IP ban in-browser. For some strange reason, though, the server is nevertheless unresponsive when my program makes a request using the requests module, which doesn't make any sense. I tried randomizing the user agent in combination with how the IP address changes when I disconnect and reconnect to the VPN, but it didn't work. Tomorrow I'll have to resort to using Google Translator, the Google cache, or Internet Archive.

have you tried using tor, op?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Not yet. A long while ago I installed it and tried using it for a browser for a bit and then uninstalled it. I'll see if that works with Python's requests module later. Thank you

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I thought tor address space was separate from ordinary DNS? I know very little about it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Private Speech posted:

I thought tor address space was separate from ordinary DNS? I know very little about it though

the tor network itself is separate, but you can use tor as a proxy as well to access regular websites - this is literally how people in censorship countries get to view sites that are blocked

you can use tor to proxy any request you have, which naturally includes your scraper script