Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The MSJ posted:

The first movie was a commercial success.

It's possible that most of the audience never even played the game, it just looked like a cute cartoon.

I get that, but with the way higher-profile franchise Lego Movie 2 landing with a relative thud, I would be very surprised if the second one does any money. Stranger things have happened though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm really curious to see how they're gonna make an even bigger piss drinking scene in the sequel. The first movie's piss drinking scene is pretty extensive, and they drink a lot of piss. I'm not sure how they're gonna top it

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I'm really curious to see how they're gonna make an even bigger piss drinking scene in the sequel. The first movie's piss drinking scene is pretty extensive, and they drink a lot of piss. I'm not sure how they're gonna top it

I hate that this isn't an exaggeration and that literally is a joke in the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gripweed posted:

Don Gato posted:

I hate that this isn't an exaggeration and that literally is a joke in the movie.
What the gently caress :eyepop:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Okay so I just googled "angry birds piss drinking" because I saw the movie in the goddamn theater, even livetweeted it, and... definitely don't remember piss drinking

That, uh, sure is a rabbit hole, woof :stare:

(I think I've ascertained that they're talking about the bit where the birds all find a nice-looking lake that is later revealed to be primarily made of eagle piss. which is, frankly, a pretty bog-standard kids' movie gross-out joke. that is a lot of mental energy to devote to eagle piss.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
To reiterate: the actual joke is basically a "eeeewwwww he peed in the pool!!!!" joke but with birds

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I never even saw the movie, but I remember the piss joke because it featured VERY prominently in one of the trailers. Like someone was either very proud of their piss joke and wanted to make sure as many people saw it as possible, or some marketing execs actually believed that scene was what would sell tickets.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

To reiterate: the actual joke is basically a "eeeewwwww he peed in the pool!!!!" joke but with birds

Except that the pool is pee, and they swam in the pee, and drank the pee, and had pee splash fights, and spat streams of pee into each other's mouths

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
yes plz
https://twitter.com/A24/status/1101119836900524039

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:getin:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
looking forward to some Midsommar murders.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hopefully this Wicker Man remake goes better than Gareth Evans'

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yasss this is going to own

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

In stuff that has me feeling the complete opposite

Took a lot for me to be uninterested in an R-rated Hellboy by "director of Dog Soldiers", especially with that cast, but I'm not feeling good about anything that's been shown

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The first trailer was pretty dire. I've got a modicum of hope that tonight's trailer is going to be better, but the problems with the first weren't that they were having to cut around gore or unfinished effects or anything, it was the dialogue and direction.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FilthyImp posted:

Gah, that poster for Dark Phoenix looks baaaaaaad. Way to kill the franchise in the exact same way you did 12 years ago dweebs.

I know it's a pain but gently caress, you're getting paid bank for this and you knew it was makeup heavy going in.

Mystique looks progressively crappier because of this poo poo. Just take a payout and leave.

She knew it was make up heavy up when she went in, but she didn't really have any career prospects going in (Winter's Bone had just come out). She was probably grateful for it.

Then Hunger Games was a hit, and she didn't want to be tied to the X-Men anymore. Then she won awards for Silver Linings Playbook, and she didn't want to be tied to Hunger Games anymore.

Is there a point? I don't know, other than don't sign her to a franchise because she'll probably want to leave it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
can you really blame an adult for not being too stoked about playing an x man close to a decade after they first did it?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FOX's take on the X Men was going to die anyways regardless of the quality of this movie

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Parachute posted:

can you really blame an adult for not being too stoked about playing an x man close to a decade after they first did it?

It's more that after Hunger Games hit, she didn't want to do any after the first film.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
IIRC, the X-Men: First Class cast only had three-film deals, so this time Lawrence probably just did it for the money

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
She's trying to avoid the makeup as much as possible because iirc the stuff they use for it is a long term health risk (I think it was carcinogenic?).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The trailer for the new X-Men looks embarrassingly bad. It makes the poster look good in comparison.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Imagine waking up this morning and asking The director said WHAT

edit: I guess I should mention it is a spoiler, one we had a whole strategy around and welp!

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 28, 2019

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Brilliant use of spoiler hiding in article title, full-on spoiler visible in URL. The trailer did give it away but still.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

kiimo posted:

Imagine waking up this morning and asking The director said WHAT

i can't tell what he says there that's shocking?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He revealed the death of a major character.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh man, that's not good. I've got some superhero movie fatigue going on, and that's not helping.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

He revealed the death of a major character.

that'd be a big deal if the first 30 seconds of the trailer were even trying to hide it :confused:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ah it looks like the movie has lost its mys:killdozer:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Even through I think Disney assimilating as many IPs as possible will eventually be a VERY bad thing...

I really want them to get Xmen away from Fox.

Good god most of these movies are dire and I'm someone that likes flashy dreck.

By the end of Apocalypse I just wanted everyone to die so I could go home.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think, mathematically, X-Men 3 is now one of the "better" X-Men movies.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How? Apocalypse is maybe only slightly worse.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Apocalypse and now this upcoming disaster.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So there are twice than many above it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Still one of the better ones considering how bad the ones below it are, I'd say.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inzombiac posted:

Even through I think Disney assimilating as many IPs as possible will eventually be a VERY bad thing...

I really want them to get Xmen away from Fox.

Good god most of these movies are dire and I'm someone that likes flashy dreck.

By the end of Apocalypse I just wanted everyone to die so I could go home.

It’s not Fox, it’s Singer and Kinberg. The best X-Movies besides 2 are not directed by him. They’re the ones that end up working the best.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not Fox, it’s Singer and Kinberg. The best X-Movies besides 2 are not directed by him. They’re the ones that end up working the best.

Yeah that's fair. Fox was just shorthand.

What're the good ones?
2, First Class, DOFP, I'd wager.

There are so many franchises with more bad movies in them than good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Deadpool’s, Logan and maaaaybe The Wolverine. At least until the last act where it goes super dumb.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's amazing how good the first two acts of The Wolverine are, and how awful the third act is; I mean, you go from an intensely dramatic but disturbing opening scene depicting the Hiroshima bombings (that served a function in the plot!) with Wolverine doing cool solo poo poo on his own to him fighting a literal robot Samurai at the end who's 15 feet tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the first X-Men film holds up very well, mostly because it still feels like a real movie as in it's not just about ping-ponging from set piece to set piece, and it's well shot. It has an actual look and a well thought out color palette and all those things that make a movie feel cinematic and not just people in cosplay outfits.