Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In the somewhat infamous PK's Rebalance mod, acid rain returns but it only deals pain, not damage. Still very bad to be caught out in.
That said the benefits (infinite free acid water) are pretty minimal given how easy it is to get batteries and acid in numerous other ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

battery recipe just got ripped out anyway

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

break-up breakdown posted:

battery recipe just got ripped out anyway

Is there at least something new in its place or is this a gigantic middle finger to makeshift welders.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Would it make that much of a difference? Batteries are a lot less hard to find than battery acid.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
just mod your makeshift welder to work off car batteries

ez pz

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
christ fabrication is a toilet fire

id really like to see a thing whereby tools with a higher quality than the minimum impart increased crafting speed. that'd make room for things like power hammers or angle grinders being super useful without making them necessary for higher end craftin

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
like what the gently caress is the crucible

its 2 liters of volume so like a cylinder with a 4 inch diameter and 10 inches high. made out of a car door and a sheet of metal. with thickness, the inner volume would hold what, 2 inch diameter by 8 inches? a half liter? its made of random steel so it can't really hold melted steel like carbon steel would, and once the steel is melted you'd either need to cast it into a mold (which doesnt exist) or cut it out of the can. but to make a 200 liter steel tank, you just need a crucible and heat and a whole shitload of scrap steel. same with a steel chain??? what is going on, nothing makes sense

or the swage and die set, which is a bunch of swages used to increase tube radii (a very specialized thing) as well as a bunch of dies which are...???? you dont have a press or any other kind of machine for a die, so i cant fathom what they could be. plus, they're required to make all kinds of things like swords, which don't really need any special tools except grinding and maaaaaaaaaybe punches or fullers, neither of which are in the game

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm pretty sure there's already an update underway about making fabrication tools more granular and specialized (chemistry was the one I heard this discussed about, then likely other fields), so hey don't worry, crafting will be even harder in the future to satisfy "realism".

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

How do you thaw frozen food without a hotplate? A pot over a fire doesn't work.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

queserasera posted:

How do you thaw frozen food without a hotplate? A pot over a fire doesn't work.
(A)pply the pot or pan.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty sure there's already an update underway about making fabrication tools more granular and specialized (chemistry was the one I heard this discussed about, then likely other fields), so hey don't worry, crafting will be even harder in the future to satisfy "realism".

im already shuddering

it would be so much easier to just have forging work by you working a single appropriately sized item. like having all 1h swords being made out of a blade, with an anvil and hammer and forge charges. if you want to make a blade from a handful of scrap metal, that would take hammering out a single use can to forge weld it, but would also be a wholly separate craft. making giant tanks out of welded together sheet metal is just more intuitive than casting 200L drums with your coke can sized crucible, and handling sheet metal is easier than handling however many hundreds of chunks of steel

i cant wait to see what horrible bullshit gets added

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Just downloaded the latest build from Jenkins and LOL the mod that removes the necessity for a balanced diet is on by default.

Also, good to see they gave you the option to choose whether you want to use the terrible point pool system.

Oh, and you can add safe autodoc and easy CBM installation mods. It's almost like nobody like those changes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like the point pool system since it makes you actually start out with skills and sometimes it's not completely stupid to start with 95% of the backgrounds.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'd like the point pooling better if there were a way to build stats in game. i'd happily take less than 14 strength if i could pump iron and get there, and not make my mid game a complete bookkeeping nightmare.

until that happens i'll keep taking a 14/14/14/7 ubermench with an entirely empty skull simply so i am not permanently crippled.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Mutations and CBMs. Depending on what mutation route you do, getting +12 or more to a single stat is almost trivial. In terms of difficulty, anyway. Lots of busywork, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
CBMs are +2 and can only apply once, it's really very little. mutations are a complete pain in the rear end because of that busywork; i remember trying to get robust genetics from normal mutagen and giving up after double fisting the mutagen and purifier for the better part of a real time hour.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I misremembered how much Insanely [whatever] gives, or it was changed since I last played, but it's fairly doable to get +7 from that and then another +2 from a CBM, for a total of +9.

With how valuable stats are at a level like that and how hard it would be to get there, it's not difficult to see why there is no weight-lifting or anything like that. The ease of doing so would be completely out of proportion with how difficult permanent stat gains are clearly meant to be.

Personally, I just use the option to start with a higher stat total, because you're right that it just makes the game more fun and playable, but the system does make sense as designed.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 15, 2019

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The system "makes sense as designed" insofar as it was designed essentially at random with no clear design philosophy or specific end goal, yes

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Coolguye posted:

i'd like the point pooling better if there were a way to build stats in game. i'd happily take less than 14 strength if i could pump iron and get there, and not make my mid game a complete bookkeeping nightmare.

There's a Stats Through Skulls mod.

Fakeedit: 'Skills' but I like the typo too much to fix it.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

The Lone Badger posted:

There's a Stats Through Skulls mod.

Fakeedit: 'Skills' but I like the typo too much to fix it.

Obviously the solution is stat gains through black magic.

Stats through skills is neat but it has the problem that you can make your character overpowered very quickly just by reading beginner books because every skill increases your stats. I think it would work better if your stats were only increased by your best 3 skills for each stat.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
should just get rid of stats entirely and bake their effects into discrete traits

str 14 vs str 13 isn't an interesting choice, "am i strong or do i know skills" is

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the stats bug me too because they affect a lot of things and there's no way to improve them through "natural" means (aside from the aforementioned stats through skills mod which can result in the opposite problem of all your stats just being crazy). Things like you need a certain minimum value of strength to be able to drag certain furniture around, but you have no way to actually get stronger without installing CBMs or mutating, so if you can't drag a bookshelf at character creation then you will NEVER be able to drag a bookshelf. I feel like the intention behind them is supposed to be a Fallout sort of thing where your SPECIAL stats dictate your overall character build but the trouble is in Cataclysm there's too few stat points to really play around with and you will seriously cripple yourself if you drop points from stats to build up others. The game isn't really designed for that kind of specialization.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
Honestly if there was any actual desire to view this as a problem there are a host of possible solutions; the solutions aren’t “create an exp system” and “I surrender all responsibility for game design.” You could create special one-off drugs as rewards in labs and other high value locations. You could create a n ‘achievement’ system where doing certain things is a specific event that raises stats. You could put in natural soft or hard caps. There’s a million ways to solve the problem, if you view it as a problem.

The problem really boils down to the people behind the game having no interest in player experience except as a group identity check, so you “know the right build” to show you’re one of “the in-crowd”, and using difficulty to hide the games’s total hollowness in terms of content past the start-to-car experience. They don’t want to make the game more playable, or the PCs more powerful, or open up more build variety, because the point is to keep people from getting to the parts that aren’t actually there and demanding they actually do those parts. This is why encumbrance is now militant nudist propaganda where boxer shorts are half as encumbering as a heavy winter jacket, why first aid kits were all but deleted from the game and replaced with a box mostly made of totally useless tools and a bandage.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

if you can't drag a bookshelf at character creation then you will NEVER be able to drag a bookshelf
Yeah, that kind of gating was really not a good idea. It would make more sense to let everybody do everything, but at a massive additional cost in time. Anybody can pull a shelf. The point of strength is doing it fast enough to block a zombie that's already coming after you.

quote:

the trouble is in Cataclysm there's too few stat points to really play around with
I mean, I get the concern, but there's literally an in-game option that lets you set your available starting points to any value you wish. Why not just use it?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 15, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, I get the concern, but there's literally an in-game option that lets you set your available starting points to any value you wish. Why not just use it?

BlondRobin posted:

"I surrender all responsibility for game design."

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
If you had more skill than needed (or were willing to take some other kind of penalty) to craft but didn't have QUITE the perfect tool for the job, I wish it would let you sort of 'improvise' with a less-perfect tool.

Ingenuity should be a thing, and it would make the fabrication game less of a ridiculous shopping checklist simulator.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

All I'm hearing is "the game comes with a difficulty option baked in, but I'm too proud to use it."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cardiovorax posted:

All I'm hearing is "the game comes with a difficulty option baked in, but I'm too proud to use it."
I'm not that poster but the bigger issue for me is that it doesn't change through the game. I want a way to improve it during play, not just start with a higher number.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Cardiovorax posted:

maybe fix your text to speech software?

when a game offers a choice, it's the responsibility of the game's design to make that choice interesting and substantial

if there's a solved 'correct' solution, that should be a default from which the interesting choices are variants from. someone who puts a few points in driving and perception instead of strength and dodge is actively hurting themselves, but that choice isn't being presented as such. things like the options to increase monster health or damage, starting naked/afraid, or taking the really bad day scenario are appropriate places for those choices. something masked as ~stat points~ isn't.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013
Apparently, we're nearing 0.D release, at least according to the forums. There's also a survey about what people want in 0.E.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

There's also a survey about what people want in 0.E.

an endgame

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Having it not run like garbage.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

Apparently, we're nearing 0.D release, at least according to the forums. There's also a survey about what people want in 0.E.

Fix zombies getting into cars when they are pointed diagonally.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
In regards to stats chat, one idea I had which I wonder if it would fix things is a mix of that mod and how it works now. Basically have stats up to a certain threshhold be raisable by skill increases or some other way that is doable for players in the early to midgame, and then once they reach a sort of "natural peak" you would have to search for CBMs and mutations to increase it further. That way you would avoid the problem of being unable to drag bookshelves around while also avoiding the problem of becoming the Hulk because you read enough magazines about how to take a tire off.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

+1 for stopping with the hard cutoff poo poo. A 6STR character isn't incapable of moving a bookcase, it's just going to take more time (and noise?) than a STR8 character. Also fixes the idiot idea that I just need to make one more duffel bag before I can make a balacalava.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Fix zombies getting into cars when they are pointed diagonally.

I don't think this can be fixed in the current system. Car tiles occupy world tiles, and when they are pointed at 45deg, they expose diagonal paths. Maybe a check that says "if this tile couldn't be accessed while pointed at 90deg, it can't be accessed at all"? Not sure how the hell you would make that work with open/close doors and destroyed tiles.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I don't think this can be fixed in the current system. Car tiles occupy world tiles, and when they are pointed at 45deg, they expose diagonal paths. Maybe a check that says "if this tile couldn't be accessed while pointed at 90deg, it can't be accessed at all"? Not sure how the hell you would make that work with open/close doors and destroyed tiles.

It would be a gigantic effort for sure but since we implemented freezing toilet water I no longer have any patience for my car magically growing holes in the armor when my car isn't pointed in a cardinal direction. Devs can have all the realism or none of it :colbert:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone point me at a tutorial for how you make custom areas like the labs or whatever?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There must be a way to make some kind of vehicle covering that adjusts the 'walls' when the vehicle goes diagonal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Or even kludge in a conditional check that fires when a creature tries to enter a vehicle tile from outside the vehicle, manually checks whether that tile has any edges or corners not surrounded by other tiles of the vehicle in its design, and blocks the movement if it doesn't. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would probably prevent like 95% of the weird vehicle-phasing shenanigans that occur.