Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pirate Jet posted:

The alt-right and the GOP are two distinct groups that nonetheless mutually benefit from one another, though the alt-right’s goal is to eventually swallow the GOP whole.

The GOP doesn’t even mind, they’re a bunch of geezers here to live it up and then die before the consequences hit.

Right, and there are certainly “alt right” internet kids who are neo Nazis, but the existing neo Nazi militias and gangs are distinct and have very different goals and especially perspectives on the US government and electoral participation. Thinking otherwise is the same kind of conflation that would lump Clinton, Sanders, the Zapatistas, and Stalin into “the left”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I would suggest anyone who grew up in the 90s being bombarded by government propaganda about Okc and the Unabomber read their actual writings, both were very eloquent and explicit about their motivations and ideologies and you didn’t get so much as a hint of that in the media coverage.

Edit: to be clear, Tim McVeigh was a white nationalist with an emphasis on the nationalist, Kaczynski was an eco-anarchist

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 27, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The next phase should be Infinity and feature Dr Doom as the bad guy

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Just go straight to battleworld who cares

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marvel is actually making an Eternals movie.

Meanwhile,

edit:
Back at Marvel:
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1100879954651291651

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 28, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Oh cool, more commerical wokeness disguising how awesome the military industrial status quo is.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I, Tonya is also a great opportunity to learn that Sebastian Stan, the Winter Soldier, is actually a very entertaining actor.

He also looks like the first draft of Henry Cavill, so that's fun.

teagone posted:

The blocking of the scene poorly conveys the point you've described though. There are infinitely way better ways you could have shown that Thor has, at that moment, triumphantly subdued the unbeatable villain, even if only for a fleeting moment.

Somebody pull screenshots from Kung Fu Panda, which actually did a brilliant job making you think the fight is over right before, obviously, it isn't, as the villain falls down an infinite pit, then just loving runs out of it. I saw that with a bunch of my students, and their relieved sighs as Tai Lung falls, followed by terrified gasps as he comes back up, were great.

Come to think, that movie does a really good job generally at selling the villain as an unstoppable force of nature. How one feather is all it really takes for him to escape a fortress they've laid out in a fair bit of detail.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh cool, more commerical wokeness disguising how awesome the military industrial status quo is.

Captain Marvel's marketing seems like a straight up

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

Captain Marvel's marketing seems like a straight up

Remember that they made a movie called BLACK PANTHER that was about a CIA agent interferring in an African country's electoral process in order to make sure the more sympathetic leader stays in power.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Snowman_McK posted:

Remember that they made a movie called BLACK PANTHER that was about a CIA agent interferring in an African country's electoral process in order to make sure the more sympathetic leader stays in power.

It's kind of mind boggling that they didn't just rename the agency he was from or make him a SHIELD guy. On the other hand he stifles direct action on behalf of black people, stops an arms shipment to black revolutionaries in the united states and installs a ruler that begins some limp wristed third way office in Compton so I'd say they represented the guy pretty faithfully on the whole.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

JBP posted:

It's kind of mind boggling that they didn't just rename the agency he was from or make him a SHIELD guy. On the other hand he stifles direct action on behalf of black people, stops an arms shipment to black revolutionaries in the united states and installs a ruler that begins some limp wristed third way office in Compton so I'd say they represented the guy pretty faithfully on the whole.

Let's not forget despite the TV show showing that SHIELD's revival is public knowledge by now, nobody in the movies have addressed this.

Unsurprisingly, the Disney+ shows are the first time we will see movie characters featured prominently in a Marvel TV series, as it's the first shows Marvel Studios itself is involved in.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Maybe there's no such thing as unbias. Everyone is bias and the narrative is constantly in flux based on the various groups of like-minded bias that form.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fart City posted:

I’d like to see a Batman movie that starts at dusk and ends at dawn. Really push the “one bad night” aspect, with Batman getting progressively more exhausted and injured as time goes on.

That's just Arkham Asylum/City though...

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

FilthyImp posted:

That's just Arkham Asylum/City though...

Yeah, and those rule :shrug:

But I was thinking something more along the lines of The Raid.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Will Smith Will Not Return As Deadshot In James Gunn’s ‘Suicide Squad 2’

Deadline has confirmed that Will Smith will not reprise his role as Deadshoot in Warner Bros.’ James Gunn-directed Suicide Squad 2.

Word is that Smith’s exit was amicable, he wasn’t officially set to do the sequel, and it came down to scheduling in regards to his backing out. Deadline hears that Gunn is looking to start production in Atlanta in September. No cast is set as of yet, but the plan here is to, of course, have Margot Robbie return in the signature role of Harley Quinn. She’s already reprising the Joker’s girlfriend in Cathy Yan’s Birds of Prey which is slated to open on Feb. 7, 2020.

The release date for the sequel is Aug. 6, 2021. The first movie grossed $746.8M worldwide, 44% of that made in U.S./Canada.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/suicide-squad-2-will-smith-not-returning-1202566772/

So now the DCEU built by Snyder is effectively dead. :sigh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So now the DCEU built by Snyder is effectively dead. :sigh:

WB killed it with Justice League tbh.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dark Phoenix trailer has arrived:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-q8C_c-nlM

in the grand tradition of movies heavily featuring the Dark Phoenix, it looks like a train wreck (not a joke about the train she wrecks in the trailer)

also, the answer to "why is Jennifer Lawrence still in this movie?" is jean kills the gently caress out of her with her Phoenix powers early on, which is good because that makeup looks like the most :effort: thing I've ever seen in a comic book movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Smith with Gunn would've been dope. But oh well. It's cool that it seems he was approached to be in it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I don't know why you're saying Snyder's films are dead when we have Wonder Woman 2 and Aquaman 2 coming out/being made. He casted those people you know. Those were his choices for those characters.

If anything it's a testament to how well he casts. People dig both Gadot and Mamoa in their roles, and didn't Wan personally talk to Snyder while they were in production?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:geno:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Er... how do you figure that from that? Smith isn't getting kicked out, he's just not coming back because of scheduling issues. Chances are they'll shuffle his character to the sidelines somehow and keep him offscreen, and then if he's available for Suicide Squad 3, "oh poo poo, Deadshot's back!"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The MSJ posted:

Unsurprisingly, the Disney+ shows are the first time we will see movie characters featured prominently in a Marvel TV series, as it's the first shows Marvel Studios itself is involved in.

Man I hope these are good. Almost seems like a sure thing. Honestly I'm mostly excited for more Tom Hiddleston. And since its a show that means I'll be getting more Hiddleston-per-hour than I was getting last year.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I cracked up so hard at that Mystique makeup. Must've taken 10 minutes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The great Simon Kinberg, everybody.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Losing Will Smith is the best thing that could have happened for Suicide Squad 2. He sucked out loud. Yet another Will Smith movie where Will Smith plays himself and based on the things he says, seems to write his own dialogue.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I want Jennifer Lawrence to be in another 10 X-Men movies and for her makeup to just gradually devolve into a blue version of Green Man from Always Sunny

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
McVeigh was extremely, EXTREMELY annoyed that his fellow white nationalists didn't believe he could pull off what he did on his own, reminiscent of bin Laden spending his last days getting mad at Youtube 9/11 conspiracy documentary comments.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Losing Will Smith is the best thing that could have happened for Suicide Squad 2. He sucked out loud. Yet another Will Smith movie where Will Smith plays himself and based on the things he says, seems to write his own dialogue.

I keep seeing people say this, but I think that this is why people keep casting Will Smith. The last several movies where he's not playing Will Smith have been terrible, right?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Also I don't know why you're saying Snyder's films are dead when we have Wonder Woman 2 and Aquaman 2 coming out/being made. He casted those people you know. Those were his choices for those characters.

If anything it's a testament to how well he casts. People dig both Gadot and Mamoa in their roles, and didn't Wan personally talk to Snyder while they were in production?

By the time they come back around to Batman in 2021 and eventually Superman, the fact that Gadot and Momoa might still be in their roles won't matter as much as the fact that the entire style of the films will certainly be a lot different. The appeal of Snyder for me was the way he approached the characters and also his visual aesthetic. Both of those things are likely to change between now and 202? when we get another big DC team-up movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Realistically teagone is the most correct: Snyder's influence was largely done when they booted him from JL and overhauled the entire movie.

But CP is right that Will Smith is certainly not any kind of nail in the coffin, when you have other actors actually casted by Snyder still in their roles. Plus Affleck leaving is probably the bigger "they're sunsetting the Snyder-verse" road sign, at least until we get an official word on Cavill.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The MSJ posted:

I keep seeing people say this, but I think that this is why people keep casting Will Smith. The last several movies where he's not playing Will Smith have been terrible, right?

My theory is that Will Smith used a monkey paw and asked it to have it cast him in more movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My theory is that Will Smith used a monkey paw and asked it to have it cast him in more movies.

He's gonna keep getting that kind of work until he decides he doesn't want it anymore, just because he's one of the last holdovers from the time when there were big leading men actors who could make a project profitable just by having their name attached to it. Now, he doesn't draw like that anymore but really nobody has been able to step in and replace him(or Tom Cruise for that matter) so they'll keep going back to that well even if all signs point to it being completely dry.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Being a latter day Will Smith level lame-o doesn't stop like half of Hollywood why would it stop Will Smith

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My theory is that Will Smith movies will be good again when he embraces that he can play grandpa roles.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Detective No. 27 posted:

My theory is that Will Smith movies will be good again when he embraces that he can play grandpa roles.

A Fresh Prince movie but this time he plays Uncle Phil

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

A Fresh Prince movie but this time he plays Uncle Phil

But uncles can't be grandpas.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Being a latter day Will Smith level lame-o doesn't stop like half of Hollywood why would it stop Will Smith

I like this idea that he ends up in these roles by accident. Guys he likes doing this poo poo.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He also seems like someone who says "my kids told me to do this so I did" who actually means it and isn't covering up the fact that they just like money and don't care.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He also seems like someone who says "my kids told me to do this so I did" who actually means it and isn't covering up the fact that they just like money and don't care.

Yeah. I like that he isn't precious about the dumbass roles he takes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like this idea that he ends up in these roles by accident. Guys he likes doing this poo poo.

Yeah, like he’s rich. He did his prestige movie period. I think he’s just having fun. And to his credit, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him half-rear end even the silliest stuff he’s popped up in. People are acting like he’s full-blown modern Bruce Willis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Will Smith has always been refreshingly open and honest about how he handles his career choices. He has a certain image that is profitable, and he goes after roles that he thinks will support and further that image. It's what almost every single working actor does but most of them aren't as up front about it.

With his family too, I like how he's always just been like "yea we consider acting to be our family business, so I use my fame to increase the earning power of the entire family. What about it?"

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 28, 2019