Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the last time i had to grind in a pokemon game was hgss, over a decade ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LethalGeek posted:

Is the RE4 price bonkers if you've never played it ?
Yes.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

LethalGeek posted:

No

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

LethalGeek posted:

Absolutely, it's more than justified. People aren't kidding about it being a GOAT. It's genuinely a fun game and if you have any passing interest in that action genre then it's a must play.

I haven't played it since the GC and the price is perfect and I'm looking forward to picking it up.

Honestly, I'm sure you have plenty on your plate like all of us, so you could probably just wait for a sale. As it's not Nintendo it'll get discounted eventually.

SelenicMartian posted:

Starlink is on sale again, along with everything ubi.

Have they anything else worthwhile besides Mario/Rabbids and Starlink?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Depends if it has gyro aiming or not. Aiming with the stick on Gamecube made me hate the game and then I loving loved it on Wii.
Should mention that I also couldn't see the drat laser sight because it was red but they let you turn it green in later versions so that also helped.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RE4 might be the best game ever made

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would have paid $60 for re4 switch without flinching.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
When do the RE games actually drop?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Andrast posted:

:yeah:

$30 is more than reasonable for it. Is it getting a physical release in the US or is it digital only?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The real crime is wanting 30 smackers for Ø. Ewww!

remember
Nov 23, 2006
Anyone have experience with the Crash Banidicoot N'Sane Trilogy? I only really played the games on a friend's ps1 every once in a while so I never really played them, but they seem enjoyable enough. I like platformers in general.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you know the original pretty well you will feel right at home. It's nearly perfect.

If you know the originals REALLY well, you'll notice the very, very, very slightly-off physics and then get over it immediately

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

$30 for RE4 portable if you've never played it is fine, get it, though you could probably do better paying 8 bux for it on Steam so it depends how much you care about the Switch Tax to be able to play it Anywhere Anytime

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DLC Inc posted:

$30 for RE4 portable if you've never played it is fine, get it, though you could probably do better paying 8 bux for it on Steam so it depends how much you care about the Switch Tax to be able to play it Anywhere Anytime

RE4 maybe be GOAT but idiots like me have bought it so many times that $30 feels awfully steep.

I want it. I want it BAD but I have to stop myself until it drops to $15.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I was gonna pass on the new Toejam and Earl cause I figured it would be a cash grab on nostalgia but it’s actually getting some really good reviews so I think I’m gonna reconsider and grab it

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Matthewmatosis, that dude who did hour long analysis on Zelda games has released his take on BotW. Spoiler: It's not perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRA1QTTAxys

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Why would anyone care what someone thinks of BOTW in 2019? lol

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Inzombiac posted:

RE4 maybe be GOAT but idiots like me have bought it so many times that $30 feels awfully steep.

I want it. I want it BAD but I have to stop myself until it drops to $15.

Words from a Day 1 purchaser.

e: also, Matthewmatosis sucks.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

American McGay posted:

Why would anyone care what someone thinks of BOTW in 2019? lol

I've never watched the guy OP posted, but I like thought out video essays more than typical game reviews sometimes. It's like listening to a podcast.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Andrast posted:

Top 5 easily

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Matthewmatosis, that dude who did hour long analysis on Zelda games has released his take on BotW. Spoiler: It's not perfect.

The idea of watching a video game review this long may seem silly but this guy does great work. He’s also the guy that did the 6 and a half hour Dark Souls video so this is nothing.:lol:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I watched that entire video when I was unemployed :negative:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fun Times! posted:

I've never watched the guy OP posted, but I like thought out video essays more than typical game reviews sometimes. It's like listening to a podcast.

I guess I get this, but the timing of it just seems weird. It's far enough away that it's not really relevant but it's close enough that it doesn't really warrant a retrospective revisit. Some dude just sat down in 2019 and decided to write a 1 hour script talking about BOTW. It's strange.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Mathewmatosis has durability issues.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

American McGay posted:

I guess I get this, but the timing of it just seems weird. It's far enough away that it's not really relevant but it's close enough that it doesn't really warrant a retrospective revisit. Some dude just sat down in 2019 and decided to write a 1 hour script talking about BOTW. It's strange.

It's strange but there's an entire subsection on YouTube devoted to creating tedious longform video essays about why <video game> you like is good/bad (usually it's bad). There's like a 7 hour long video about the Pokemon Ruby 3DS remake. Just a bunch of kids out here trying to be video game Ken Burns or something.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The timing of when you post a critique video like that isn't a big deal. Everybody has backlogs. Not everybody wears a game out right after release when it's hot or wants to wait a decade to review a classic.

I do expect that you have some editorial skills and be succinct though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He retired and recently came back I'm pretty sure.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Silver Falcon posted:

What? No they're not. These are quality of life changes that streamline the experience and make everything less annoying. Going back to the PC all the time to swap your party around doesn't annoy you? Well, bully for you. It annoys me! Saying you would be disappointed if they added that feature to the main games is dumb. If you prefer to only swap your dudes out at Pokemon Centers, then do that! There's nothing stopping you from doing that.

Putting self-imposed limitations on yourself to make the game harder is a thing people have been doing in these games since forever. Just add one more to the pile.

Give me on-map encounters and let me access my PC from everywhere. And while we're at it let me take a Pokemon of my choice for walkies. These are all good features that should absolutely be part of the main series.

Pokemon walking around instead of random encounters lessens my enjoyment of the game.

e: You know what they should do? Make it a toggle. It can't be that hard, keep the same zone maps, and then have an option for either the traditional random encounters, or populating the overworld map with whatever pokemon would normally be found in the grass/cave/water for that area.

Everybody wins.

e2: VVVVVV - nah that doesn't work because half the reason I don't like the pokemon wandering around is that, to me, its way less immersive. The overworld models aren't scaled, so they just wander around all roughly similar sizes waiting to smack you like early 2000s MMO quest mobs.

Annath fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 28, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Annath posted:

Pokemon walking around instead of random encounters lessens my enjoyment of the game.

Let's compromise, Pokemon walk around but when you run into them they could be anything

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Have they anything else worthwhile besides Mario/Rabbids and Starlink?

Rayman Legends, imo

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Let's compromise, Pokemon walk around but when you run into them they could be anything

What if the Pokemon die after they use between 3 and 5 moves, so you constantly have to be catching new ones?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Like shadows in Persona.

creationist believer posted:

What if the Pokemon die after they use between 3 and 5 moves, so you constantly have to be catching new ones?
Or, you go to the Taxidermy Center, and...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'd be ok with it being Zelda II style

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

The idea of watching a video game review this long may seem silly but this guy does great work. He’s also the guy that did the 6 and a half hour Dark Souls video so this is nothing.:lol:

I mean, that was basically just a post-commentary LP, iirc. He did that for DMC1 too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Iron Crowned posted:

so would they just be generic flying pokemon balls for map encounters, or

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Iron Crowned posted:

No I mean you walk into a machoke but actually it's a plusle

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

the last time i had to grind in a pokemon game was hgss, over a decade ago

The new grind is breeding shinies and getting perfect IVs

e. Hey Gamefreak? Can we just remove EVs and IVs from Sword and Shield? I say this as someone with dozens of perfect IV pokemon and a stable of perfect IV Ditto studs for every stat. No one actually enjoys this process, they just feel compelled to do it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Use the generic Pokémon sprite from Gen 1, there's already a model for that in Let's Go because it was used for the gym statues

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Doc M posted:

Use the generic Pokémon sprite from Gen 1, there's already a model for that in Let's Go because it was used for the gym statues

i thought that was supposed to be a Nidorino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Always thought it resembled Rhydon