Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sean10mm posted:

Just tried quick cam for the first time, so far it seems to work great.

Skip Travel Cutscenes is also a must have.

Now that I think about it, I played an entire career mode with Flashpoint and got every new mech except the Urbie. :mad:

I got them all but the Atlas 2, Royal Highlander, and Royal Black Knight.

This career run taught me that the Jagermech is actually pretty good if you position it right, and the PPC Catapult owns with 4 LLs as a part sniper. Also, the Commando is a little shitkicker for the time you get to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Taintrunner posted:

Why can’t I hit anything in roguetech wtf

Working as intended.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Thats literally the point of rougetech. To be the most awful experience possible from playing it to getting banned for bullying when the lovely thing breaks and you ask for help.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wait they ban people from their forums for that?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Artificer posted:

The person who put it together is a complete tool who sees any criticism or critique as a personal attack against herself and calls it bullying.

Bullying in this context included things like reporting bugs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Note that she’s also the person who strong arms smaller mods into exclusivity with her package.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mods PC Gaming were was a mistake

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

it would be spiteful to put jellyfish in a trifle

Taintrunner posted:

It actually does get better as you put points into gunnery, until you run up against one of the super modded light or medium mechs using ecm and masc to generate 20 evasion pips. Once you get ahold of one of your own though, it instantly solves the "why are medium mechs useless in the late game" problem.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

RBA Starblade posted:

I got them all but the Atlas 2, Royal Highlander, and Royal Black Knight.

This career run taught me that the Jagermech is actually pretty good if you position it right, and the PPC Catapult owns with 4 LLs as a part sniper. Also, the Commando is a little shitkicker for the time you get to use it.

Actually I misspoke, I didn't get the SLDF BK on that run either.

The SLDF Highlander is the easiest SLDF mech to get because you can get its parts from the rare item reward flashpoints AND the lostech reward flashpoints. All the other SLDF mech parts *only* come from lostech reward flashpoints (I think) But it's all subject to the fickle random number generator obviously.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Artificer posted:

People have literally taken the log that rougetech builds when it crashes, put that on the forums, said the game crashed and here are the logs. The oval office on a power trip sees it, said "these logs show me nothing banned for bullying/wasting my time" and that was that.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 27, 2019

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

cFixes
RealHitChance (displays to-hit chances adjusted for the curve the game uses)
NavigationComputer (lets you plot routes in the star map)
QuickCam (the sound time delay json tweaks in modtek format)
SkipIntro (skips the intro cinematics)

sean10mm posted:

Just tried quick cam for the first time, so far it seems to work great.

Skip Travel Cutscenes is also a must have.

Now that I think about it, I played an entire career mode with Flashpoint and got every new mech except the Urbie. :mad:

Thanks for these posts. There are some good QoL improvements in those suggestions that I wasn't already using.

I'm running:
Extended 3025
ModTek - Firing Line Improvements
Pilot Health Popup
QuickCam

As for my campaign. Those drat Phoenix Hawk's just chase you down and get behind mechs so quickly. Add the fact that 3025 goes by classic restrictions on which mechs can have jump jets it has forced me to change up my gameplan; since jump capable mechs are much rarer now. I'm really enjoying this so far

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 27, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goddamn that sucks and I'm probably going to hold off on replaying this until Urban Warfare comes out, because loving hell.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Maybe it's because I haven't engaged with anything Battletech related since Mechwarrior 2, but just the base game with QOL mods is sheer crack for me. I took a break from it to play Dying Light after it went on sale, and even though I like dropkicking zombies a lot I'm *still* kind of like, "Yeah, but I could be using robots to blow up other robots to scrounge parts to make bigger robots..."

:psylon:

Is the MW4 weapon sounds mod any good?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

https://github.com/BattletechModders/cFixes/releases/tag/v1.4.0.2

New cFixes version out. Maybe the last ever if HBS crosses all the T's and dots the i's on 1.5. Big thing is we fixed the Left Arm on both the TBT and BLR to display the right hardpoints most of the time. Now the BLR has those nice dual MGs in the stock config instead of a underslung Flamer and a lone MG on the side.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Stravag posted:

Thats literally the point of rougetech. To be the most awful experience possible from playing it to getting banned for bullying when the lovely thing breaks and you ask for help.

I am glad I am not alone in having that experience. The early game is aggressively unfun and even when it gets better, you still have to use very specific builds of mechs to reach that point. The base game, while relatively barebones, at least seems like its gameplay was thoroughly playtested and tuned for a smooth experience where battles progress rather than being all endless misses and running around.

And uninstalling Roguetech didn't remove the awful loading texts it provided.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
so is the BE 3025 mod most of the weird poo poo of roguetech without the bullshit?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I'd say BTX is almost to where DZ's CCC was before he left. Not quite as total overhaul as CCC but quickly taking the spot of the "Not-RT" total mod package.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

evilmiera posted:

I am glad I am not alone in having that experience. The early game is aggressively unfun and even when it gets better, you still have to use very specific builds of mechs to reach that point. The base game, while relatively barebones, at least seems like its gameplay was thoroughly playtested and tuned for a smooth experience where battles progress rather than being all endless misses and running around.

And uninstalling Roguetech didn't remove the awful loading texts it provided.

I actually didnt ever install it. I was looking into grabbing it when i saw the RT effect on the first campaign mission after the tutorial. Where a mech jumped from the turret generator you have to kill all the way to the cap zone you have to go to to get betrayed by your employers. I then looked at the reddit :ughh: and read people asking simple questions about it like " the installer crashed mid install and now i get this message how do i fix it" the chick who made it goes "how can i help you stupid fucks if you dont give me logs". The guy responds "oh good point sorry" and pastes a DL link to his logs. The chick then goes "these logs dont show me anything banned for wasting my time" and banned him from the subreddit. I everyonce in a while see screen grabs from rougetech on mod nexus and i see stupid poo poo like 15+ evasion pips on a maddog and over 23 phases per turn. I never even got to the playing part because it seemed so miserable.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Imagine a chef that not only doesn't think that the stray hairs and dandruff in the soup are a problem, but considers them an upside and is hard at work adding fingernail trimmings to really bring out the character.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

The good skill combos atm:
Guts 1 / Tactics 2 (general use)
Guts 2 / Pilot 1 (brawlers and skirmishers)
Guts 1 / Gunnery 2 (AC20 mediums and LRM builds only)

Echoing/elaborating on what was said earlier, mech progression is generally linear (bigger is better), with the following caveats:
- All mechs at the bottom of their respective weight class are bad compared to their near peers, with the exception of the AWS-8T which is okay.
- The Crab, Hatchetman, Trebuchet, and Banshees all have less available pod space than their peers, sometimes combined with unfortunate hardpoints, and as a result range from bad to awful.
- Missiles > Energy > Ballistics, broadly speaking, so Energy+Ballistic mechs are at the lower rungs of the totem pole for their weight.

I was looking up this post tonight for skill recommendations, and I realized I wanted to ask about the Missiles > Energy > Ballistics thing. Based on what I've sussed out, missiles put out great damage + stability, but their weakness is that they don't really "focus fire" that well. On the other hand, lasers do their thing to a single part, but you get less total damage ton for ton (and no stability loss). Ballistics on the other hand trade even more tonnage problem for a lower heat profile than lasers and stability damage.

I have noticed it seems like my SRM Thunderbolt does more work than my disco laser Thunderbolt, though. So I guess I should learn to love the rocket spam. (My 2xLRM20 Catapult has already convinced me of this, don't worry.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Is there a startup option that lets you bypass all the opening splash screens and intro video?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
No but there's a mod that'll do that for you: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/210

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Warmachine posted:

I was looking up this post tonight for skill recommendations, and I realized I wanted to ask about the Missiles > Energy > Ballistics thing. Based on what I've sussed out, missiles put out great damage + stability, but their weakness is that they don't really "focus fire" that well. On the other hand, lasers do their thing to a single part, but you get less total damage ton for ton (and no stability loss). Ballistics on the other hand trade even more tonnage problem for a lower heat profile than lasers and stability damage.

I have noticed it seems like my SRM Thunderbolt does more work than my disco laser Thunderbolt, though. So I guess I should learn to love the rocket spam. (My 2xLRM20 Catapult has already convinced me of this, don't worry.)

Missiles are just beastly in terms of raw damage:heat:weight efficiency, as well as stability damage. And while they do have a spread, when you say shoot a mech from the front you can expect ~33% of your applied damage will land on its Center Torso, regardless of whether that damage is coming from lasers or missiles, so if anything, dishing the damage out in smaller discrete packages makes the allocation more reliably resemble the distribution table.

Lasers have an inherent +1 accuracy bonus (accuracy bonuses don't add to your base chance to hit; they cancel accuracy penalties) so their real-world damage output is a little higher than what it says on the label. When it comes to SRM vs MLas, the laser advantage is that they're better at applying damage in called shots: for each successful hit on the targeted location, subsequent missiles fired from the same launcher will have their chance to also strike the targeted location halved (until down to the base hit location chance). Now, I said applying damage; if you're looking to just land single hits for ie injuries, then missiles get many more rolls and their chances don't degrade until they do hit, so a SRM6 is going to have better odds of landing a head hit than two MLas.

Ballistics are simply worse. AC20 has a use case primarily because of Breaching Shot, but the AC5 and AC10 compare poorly to Large Lasers or LRMs, and the AC2 is just a dogshit weapon without even a niche use in this game.

Combined with range specialization being better than bracket builds, this means that the most effective loadout for long range is the pure LRM boat, and for closer ranges you're looking into as many SRMs as you can mount and filling the reminder with MLasers, with a note that exclusively MLas builds are okay too, and that LLasers are decent weapons so SRM+LL works as well (the LL+++ is awesome), and even pure LL builds are decent enough through proper use of its range/accuracy (ie dual LL Panther in career). AC20 is okay but requires to build the mech/pilot around it.

And since someone is inevitably going to try and defend the e-honoure of "big hit" weapons, I'll just say ahead of time that it really doesn't matter. High single-point damage is only an advantage in edge cases: armor debuff light/medium opfors in the early game. So a lucky hit peeled off armor on an arm or side torso? Well, that's cool, but it doesn't help much, because what you need is to take out is the center torso, and the faster you can do that the better off you are. And when you're going for the salvage, or taking out priority components (hunch, AC10/20 arm) then you do flanking and/or Precision Strikes with lasers, since the goal is reliability rather than a 40% chance of your "big hit" AC10/20 shot just loving off to the leg or even missing entirely.

Big hit weapons in the opfor loving suck, though. Exposing internals on enemies rarely matters (and when it does it's largely only if you're following up with missiles/lasers/MGs), but the player OTOH doesn't want their internals exposed because that means repair time and a chance to lose valuable rare equipment.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Hole-punching and following it up with crit-seeking weapons is the way to go in tabletop, which is why people are really invested in it in the videogame.

The problem is that critical hits aren't actually a particularly effective weapon for the player - since everything has case, even a lucky ammo box crit doesn't actually do that much effective damage (since you're into structure by that point anyway). And also your pilots are gods that can put 90% of their shots into the center torso if you spend Resolve on it.

The big advantage to "hole punching" weapons is when they have enough damage to one-shot a cockpit (and then the next test is if they have enough to one-shot a cockpit through 20% dr)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Correct, and the best loadouts for that are AC20 builds and LL+SRM combos, which are good regardless. AC10 and AC5 and PPC are just crappy.

And yes, I'm aware the 65 damage variant AC10 can headshot sans DR, but so can the LL+SRM variants (50+12).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Conspiratiorist posted:

if you're looking to just land single hits for ie injuries, then missiles get many more rolls and their chances don't degrade until they do hit, so a SRM6 is going to have better odds of landing a head hit than two MLas.
When the game was released only the first missile fired has a chance of hitting the head, has that changed since the first few months after the game was released?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

When the game was released only the first missile fired has a chance of hitting the head, has that changed since the first few months after the game was released?

Only LRMs ever worked like that, SRM and MG were worse that described above because they had no degrading called location accuracy until 1.1. So you could CT/HD drill anything with massed SRMs and MGs.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

seeing a large caliber round go downrange and blow off a giant robot's limb is v. satisfying

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ash1138 posted:

seeing a large caliber round go downrange and blow off a giant robot's limb is v. satisfying

macross appropriately licensed unrelated mecha missile mayhem is very satisfying and very effective

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

How many of those weapon evaluations would change if aimed shots weren't used constantly as I get a definite vibe of 'precision strike every time all the time'.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Taerkar posted:

How many of those weapon evaluations would change if aimed shots weren't used constantly as I get a definite vibe of 'precision strike every time all the time'.

missiles would be even better, since their main weakness is that they don't work well with called shots

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Cease to Hope posted:

macross appropriately licensed unrelated mecha missile mayhem is very satisfying and very effective
the gun is good, the lrm is evil *spits out a pile of autocannons*

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Taerkar posted:

My current favorite "trick" is to use my morale points to called shot with my AC20/PPC/LRM mech with each weapon having +'s to extra STAB damage. Knock the target on it's rear end and then all my other mechs get free called shots while it's on the ground.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like to bring an AC20++ and see if I can instantly kill Thunderbolts

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Tabletop missiles are balanced around having only ~55% of a salvo actually do damage even on a hit. In the computer game, each missile has a [to hit]% chance to connect. With 50% to hit, you average 50% of your missile damage instead of 28%. With 95% to hit, which is the most common situation after mid game, damage goes from 52% to 95%. The balancing factor for this is that missiles do 20% less damage in the computer game. However, that isn't enough to compensate for the incredibly increased effectiveness at the super high hit rates that are common. When you add in that large missile launchers get the best damage increases from ++ and +++ versions, they are easily superior on a pure damage/ton basis.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, that's why I've got a 2 point penalty to all missiles in the game. Good shots still get about 60% hits but especially with indirect fire you occasionally see only a few hit out of a LRM-20.

They'll almost always do something, but only rarely a big hit.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tabletop sounds like the exact opposite of fun

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

And Tyler Too! posted:

Tabletop sounds like the exact opposite of fun

It can be excruciatingly slow. Which is why the crits from missiles are actually fun, because *something* happened.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
While it may not be perfect I'm glad they sped up the pace of engagements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

The Dipshit posted:

so is the BE 3025 mod most of the weird poo poo of roguetech without the bullshit?

No and I wish there was. I like a lot of the mechanical changes RT does, or at least I appreciate the direction they were going. A lot of it is balanced poorly and undoes some of the streamlining that BT did to make the game play better as a single-player game. All the crap that the AI gets to bring to bear on you in RT can and will gently caress you, but it wouldn't be as bad if it were mostly vanilla weapons and mechs.

BE2025 does not modify the game much. It adds some mechs with layouts that are 'lore appropriate' or something, and that mostly works out well. It also tweaks the encounter table so that you face enemy compositions that kind of match the faction that you're fighting, which is awesome.It might do something with markets, I dunno. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an uncomplicated, mostly straight upgrade to the base game.