Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

he looked gassed as gently caress after round 2. amazed he’s still in tbere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

welp

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
credit to joyce for even being able to put him down at all

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer
missed the earlier fights, glad to see Selby still in there.

does that boy still walk out to Big L?

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

Grimey Drawer

meat CRime posted:

missed the earlier fights, glad to see Selby still in there.

does that boy still walk out to Big L?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWMjRMJ0dTI

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i only caught the last few rounds of selby. didn't even realise he was on the card and had to google it to make sure the stream was right.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Joyce is entertaining. Plodding forwards, clubbing away like a giant duracell bunny.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Doesn't look like DeGale's going the distance here.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

he’s shot

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

He's doing a decent job of clinching through the rounds at least but I don't see him winning a decision now.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Degale is totally washed but Junior lacks any boxing skills to put him out of his misery

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm legit excited for Rios-Soto, even if both guys are past it they're still fun to watch.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Always love a good screwball ending

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
A few notes:

- Bermane Stiverne was totally washed a few years ago, but Joe Joyce also looked pretty bad. His next fight is supposedly against "WBA Regular" champ Manuel Charr, which Joyce should also win but could very well lose, as Charr at least has a bit of a pulse. At almost 34 already and a very slow, basic fighter, Joyce is no real threat to the current Big 3 and could conceivably lose to any legit top 10 ranked guy.

- James DeGale proved what everyone suspected in that he's a shot fighter now. He should retire. Eubank is decent but will never be an elite talent. He's lucky that he's in one of the shallowest divisions in boxing though, and could possibly snag a title and hold onto it for a bit, but would lose to Callum Smith, Gilberto Ramirez, etc.

- Didn't catch Dirrell/Yildirim but heard it was a pretty competitive fight. Considering Eubank Jr blew Yildirim out recently, and Dirrell's been talking about retirement already and was never that good to begin with, I don't see either of these guys being relevant for very much longer. Dirrell probably beats Yildirim in a rematch but would drop his WBC strap to any of the other titlists or top contenders at 168.

- Brandon Rios and Humberto Soto should both retire

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Love CA’s ability to dismiss a valid fight as a mismatch before it happens and then dismiss both participants when it turns out to be competitive.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Dirrell fight was entertaining but I didn’t think either looked very great. Also, after the Badou Jack cut, it’s hard to look at that stoppage as reasonable

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Dirrell fight was entertaining but I didn’t think either looked very great. Also, after the Badou Jack cut, it’s hard to look at that stoppage as reasonable

Yeah, it just makes me think less of Dirrell, but neither of them are championship caliber. I guess Dirrell can be an easy unification opportunity for one of the other champs.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean, Jack's fight probably should have been stopped too but at the very least his cut wasn't on the eye.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
It's not happening folks

https://twitter.com/WBCBoxing/status/1100478725706141702?s=20

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Very lame. Now Fury will fight a bum in a few months and Wilder will either fight a bum or not fight at all until nearer the end of 2019.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
> while Wilder confirmed its willingness

:mrwhite:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

that is the most explosive confirmation a fight is not happening I have ever seen lol

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that is the most explosive confirmation a fight is not happening I have ever seen lol

I'd like to take this time to announce that I am also not fighting Deontay Wilder

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
give Charlie Z his rematch Deontay

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Fury sucks, why did any you fools ever like him.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wilder is claiming that he's still fighting May 18th, so that's good news, but doesn't allow for a lot of time to negotiate. Best case he fights Dillian Whyte or Dominic Breazeale, though Adam Kownacki, Oscar Rivas, Carlos Takam, and Dereck Chisora could be other options if Wilder has to drop down to a "stay busy" level of fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm disappointed we're not getting the immediate rematch but I am happy to know my OP should remain relevant for a while. Fury joining ESPN locks up the Battle of the Brands with each of the three major networks having one piece of the heavyweight championship.

I agree with Arum that both fighters will benefit from a showcase fight before they have a rematch. Fury and Wilder probably gained some fans in their PPV fight but probably not a lot of people saw it numbers wise. If a larger audience sees a Fury tune-up on ESPN that will translate into a lot of people learning about Wilder. Demand for them to fight each other again will build pretty quickly and eventually there will be too much money here for the networks and promoters to ignore.

My hot take: this is actually good for the sport. It's good that Fury and Wilder are on competing networks with competing promotional companies. That means Fury and Wilder together will reach a larger audience than they would if they both fought on just one platform. ESPN reaches a sports audience that Showtime doesn't, and Fury's a guy who will draw fan interest to the sport. Having the heavyweight championship split up across all three networks also means this era of heavyweight boxing is reaching a larger audience than ever. If fans tune in for heavyweight boxing and see exciting fights no matter what network they're watching, that's going to do wonders for interest in boxing's smaller weight classes.

To end with some good news it's been rumored that GGG is signing up with DAZN.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Just booked travel to Arlington for Spence/Garcia :hellyeah:

EDIT:

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm disappointed we're not getting the immediate rematch but I am happy to know my OP should remain relevant for a while. Fury joining ESPN locks up the Battle of the Brands with each of the three major networks having one piece of the heavyweight championship.

I agree with Arum that both fighters will benefit from a showcase fight before they have a rematch. Fury and Wilder probably gained some fans in their PPV fight but probably not a lot of people saw it numbers wise. If a larger audience sees a Fury tune-up on ESPN that will translate into a lot of people learning about Wilder. Demand for them to fight each other again will build pretty quickly and eventually there will be too much money here for the networks and promoters to ignore.

My hot take: this is actually good for the sport. It's good that Fury and Wilder are on competing networks with competing promotional companies. That means Fury and Wilder together will reach a larger audience than they would if they both fought on just one platform. ESPN reaches a sports audience that Showtime doesn't, and Fury's a guy who will draw fan interest to the sport. Having the heavyweight championship split up across all three networks also means this era of heavyweight boxing is reaching a larger audience than ever. If fans tune in for heavyweight boxing and see exciting fights no matter what network they're watching, that's going to do wonders for interest in boxing's smaller weight classes.

To end with some good news it's been rumored that GGG is signing up with DAZN.

I'm inclined to agree with this too. Linear TV isn't what is once was but it's hard to underestimate the amount to which this can be built up with ESPN showing Fury and Wilder (fight and press conference) highlights every day for 2 weeks leading into the fight.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 1, 2019

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The major risk is that one (or more) of the big 3 loses before they fight each other, which would blunt the momentum of potential fights between them by quite a bit. Wilder is also not getting any younger; he turns 34 this year. I know heavyweights peak late but that is the age when athleticism starts to fade a bit. There’s also the risk that they never fight each other, or the fights happen so late that they don’t matter as much, or even much at all (see Lewis-Tyson).

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Lara-Castano fight is about to start.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Didn't watch the fight but all the sources I trust said the cards were reasonable, although maybe more of them leaned toward Lara 7-5 over 6-6 but I didn't see anybody complaining about the decision outright.

Kind of sucks for Lara that all his biggest fights have been coin toss affairs where he's gotten edged out on the cards, but I'm assuming they'll have a more definitive rematch

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Dillian Whyte is also rumored to be finishing up an ESPN/Top Rank deal. Pretty big moves from Arum, and Fury-Whyte isn't a bad match if that's what we get next.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Bloody hell Conor McGregor officially destroyed Paulie's brain

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1103736468034473985?s=19

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
GGG to Dazn is reported to have finally gotten across the finish line and now Deontay Wilder is supposedly meeting with Dazn as well to sign after his May fight with Dominic Brezeale. Exciting times for Days Inn.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

So, Shawn Porter was in a close fight. I don't know if I agree with the result but it was acceptable. He wants more big name fights. I think this has been going on for a while now. Probably should make a post template or something.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Just by nature of his style and not having real big power Porter will never be not in a close fight unless he's fighting against someone who's washed or a scrub but he'll probably never get clearly beat until he's way over the hill either.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anybody here scored it for ugas? Unfortunately I had to pay half attention during some of the middle rounds so I don't feel confident making a judgement one way or another but it was definitely close and in a lot of the rounds the judges would have been faced with the classic dilemma of one guy (Porter) being more active and aggressive but the other (ugas) landing the fewer but more effective shots. This was true especially in the later rounds. Good fight.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The SituAsian posted:

GGG to Dazn is reported to have finally gotten across the finish line and now Deontay Wilder is supposedly meeting with Dazn as well to sign after his May fight with Dominic Brezeale. Exciting times for Days Inn.

So all the belts will be with DAZN?

ESPN's £80m deal with Fury doesn't look so good

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

So all the belts will be with DAZN?

ESPN's £80m deal with Fury doesn't look so good

Yes, if Deontay Wilder were to sign with DAZN then all of the recongnized heavyweight titles would belong to fighters aligned with that platform. On the plus side for Fury it seems as if Dillian Whyte may be nearing a deal with Top Rank/ESPN so at least he has an opponent to build into.

https://www.boxingscene.com/dillian-whytes-deal-with-top-rank-espn-nearing-completion--136799

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
My hype is building for Spence-Garcia big time. Fortunately I'll be at Jerry World (dragging along my casual work buddy and his girlfriend who live in Dallas) and I expecting a good fight that Spence ultimately wins but both leave with credit ala GGG-Jacobs.