Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Sweet, I was wondering when it would start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A double feature every week? drat, Joe Bob ain't playing.

He's not going to dethrone Svengoolie as king of horror hosts in my eyes, but it's nice to have some variety and it's great to have Joe Bob back on the air.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I keep meaning to sign up for letterboxd for all the things it can help me cultivate (more excuses to write and keep writing; writing reviews helps me better remember what I've consumed; thinking critically helps me better understand what I appreciate and want; etc.) but then I usually find an excuse to do nearly anything else and the thought passes

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I just started using Letterboxd in the past few months and it's great. Although I wasted like a full day obsessively going through lists of movies to mark all the ones I had seen.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I spent a long time looking for a decent "Goodreads, but for movies" site that wasn't ugly or annoying to use, but I'd given up on ever having one until I stumbled across Letterboxd. I'm not as completionist about it as I am about tracking my books though. I also haven't gotten into the social side of the site much yet. My profile's here if anyone wants some dumb horror opinions in their life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I hope Joe Bob never gets the stream worked out properly because he still claims that the episodes up to this point were only put on the site permanently as a way of apologizing for the stream going down so often.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Burkion posted:

So what exactly is wrong with it

I was looking forward to it coming out and then EVERYONE recoiled when it did

it's just super duper open with what it's trying to say. subtext doesn't exist in the film's vocabulary. i would say it turns the subtext into text, but it's more out there than that. it's like supertext.

there's just a lot going on and it's not subtle at all. like it wasn't a terrible experience, but it's A Lot.

e: also since we're sharing letterboxd profiles, here's mine https://letterboxd.com/mikeycp/

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 28, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I hope Joe Bob never gets the stream worked out properly because he still claims that the episodes up to this point were only put on the site permanently as a way of apologizing for the stream going down so often.

I’m assuming he’s just lying because he wants people to watch live so it’s a shared experience.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I’m assuming he’s just lying because he wants people to watch live so it’s a shared experience.

Maybe but I'm pretty sure they have had steaming issues during all three of the marathons so far.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The streaming issues with the first marathon bummed me out substantially because my wife and I just happened to be taking our kid to see Incredibles 2 at the last functioning drive-in within 50 miles of us. I was very excited to watch at least some of Joe Bob on my phone while sitting at a real drive-in, but I couldn't see diddly until I think Boggy Creek the next day. And the drive-in's Facebook page now just says "Our status for 2019 is unclear, stay tuned." Life's a fern bar, indeed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Biomute posted:

Apparently I already spent that on not liking feta cheese.

No, that was your food opinion. This is your movie opinion. I also have : Favorite Sandwich along with best sexual position columns to still fill in.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I don't see anyone here hyping up One Cut Of The Dead. I need to fix that. WATCH this movie. Don't google it, don't read anything about it, just loving watch it!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's a zombie movie, there better be a real good reason why I'd watch another one.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Popelmon posted:

I don't see anyone here hyping up One Cut Of The Dead. I need to fix that. WATCH this movie. Don't google it, don't read anything about it, just loving watch it!

WHEREEEEEEEEEEEE

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Popelmon posted:

Turned out the copy on Amazon was pirated and it doesn't seem to be up anywhere.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

married but discreet posted:

It's a zombie movie, there better be a real good reason why I'd watch another one.

It's about zombie barbers. Obviously.

Edit: Or zombie mohels. I can't remember which.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Arr, I thought it would be out on VOD by now. I watched it at a film festival. It looks like there is a "vod" version available if that's your thing but it's definitely worth waiting for a proper release. Also the first 30 minutes are a slog but the payoff is so, so great.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

married but discreet posted:

How about if it's a real Trainwreck that's also depraved to the point where it's hard to watch? If so may I offer Zombie rear end: Toilet of the Dead.

It's loving awful and I don't recommend it but it's there and feel like a more powerful being for having watched to the end.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
There's a UK blu ray of One Cut and it's apparently region free, but I don't know of it streaming anywhere yet.

But yeah, it's very good and everybody should watch it. It made like 1000x its budget at the box office.

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 1, 2019

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

mikeycp posted:

How about if it's a real Trainwreck that's also depraved to the point where it's hard to watch? If so may I offer Zombie rear end: Toilet of the Dead.

It's loving awful and I don't recommend it but it's there and feel like a more powerful being for having watched to the end.

I watched that one year with my grandpa on Christmas Eve

It’s bad

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Stryder posted:

It's about zombie barbers. Obviously.

Edit: Or zombie mohels. I can't remember which.

Bringing it back to a thread favourite topic, has there ever been a horror movie about mohels? Seems like an untapped vein, so to speak.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The trailer for zombie rear end is pretty great. The movie does not live up except for when the main girl fart flies around and has tentacles come out of butt.

That was a thing.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

I watched that one year with my grandpa on Christmas Eve

It’s bad

I can't imagine the life you live that leads to this experience and especially can't imagine the one that follows.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

mikeycp posted:

I can't imagine the life you live that leads to this experience and especially can't imagine the one that follows.

If it's anything like with my family, we're all insane movie nuts that when the Alzheimer's comes for us our last remaining memories will be who acted in what and movie plots.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Did it get added to the list that The Unamable actually has a theme song at the end but it does not specifically use the word Unanamable so I dunno if it should count.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I saw Greta and it was loving wild :lol:

There's a scene in which Chloe Grace Moretz's character is being held captive by Greta (Isabelle Huppert) and Greta's teaching her how to bake cookies, so CGM takes the opportunity and cuts her captor's finger off with a cookie cutter and then hits her in the head with a rolling pin.

When she comes to, Greta locks CGM back in her dungeon type room and proceeds to inject something right into her bloody finger socket to help with the pain, and it's all shown.

Was that movie PG-13? There was no nudity (well, there was some covered nudity), not much swearing and not a lot of bloody violence outside of that spoilered scene, but that doesn't seem like something that could exist in a PG-13 movie hahaha

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 1, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

What's the worst type of body trauma depicted on film?

Eyes are an easy answer, but I'm gonna go with teeth.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Fart City posted:

Fingernails for me

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This might not count but the guy getting his brain twisted out while he's still alive in Return To House On Haunted Hill fucks me up.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I saw Greta and it was loving wild :lol:

Was that movie PG-13? There was no nudity (well, there was some covered nudity), not much swearing and not a lot of bloody violence outside of that spoilered scene, but that doesn't seem like something that could exist in a PG-13 movie hahaha

I'm not reading that spoiler but people described that new Clare Denis movie, High Life, to me just like this.

https://youtu.be/0WI49OA3BjU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fart City posted:

the only thing that gets me that way anymore is dick and ball damage

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Fart City posted:

Messing with the gennies fucks me up (the succubus segment of VHS forever fucks me up)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always cringe when I see someone trip and split their head open on the corner ledge of something. I just saw Murder Party and the one in that movie had me gasp out loud.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fart City posted:

I'd say it's a trifecta of eyes, teeth, and genitals. I'd also put nipples as a runner up for how many times I'd see them razored in some Japanese film.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

TheKingslayer posted:

This might not count but the guy getting his brain twisted out while he's still alive in Return To House On Haunted Hill fucks me up.

That's a good one. I'd forgotten about that. Adjacent, the scene from Alien: Resurrection where Dan Hedaya gets popped in the back of his head and pulls his own brain out is yeeechh too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm not reading that spoiler but people described that new Clare Denis movie, High Life, to me just like this.

https://youtu.be/0WI49OA3BjU
I remember seeing that trailer months ago, but I hadn't heard if it got released or not. Did it? Like beyond festivals? I go see most of what's in theaters and I definitely don't remember that coming to theaters here.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ruddiger posted:

I always cringe when I see someone trip and split their head open on the corner ledge of something. I just saw Murder Party and the one in that movie had me gasp out loud.
Have you seen Lost Highway?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Oh and I forgot, anything with veins and arteries being cut. There's a scene in that movie Cellular where Kim Basinger, a science teacher who's been kidnapped and at one point she uses a bit of broken glass to cut a kidnapper's brachial artery, and she explains what's happening and apologizes while he bleeds out. That still fucks me up, weirdly out of place in a B action-comedy.

edit: Along the same lines, Michael Shannon in Premium Rush getting shot in the head and stumbling around confused for about 30 seconds, trying to understand what's going on. Truly hosed.

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 1, 2019

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Fart City posted:

That's a good one. I'd forgotten about that. Adjacent, the scene from Alien: Resurrection where Dan Hedaya gets popped in the back of his head and pulls his own brain out is yeeechh too.

Ugh it is. And how he brings it around to look at it. Just brutal.

I think anything like that where a person has that kind of realization about their impending demise gets to me. Even when Sonny gets ambushed in The Godfather and has that moment before the shooting starts to know what's about to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Bones :wtc:

I spent the last 18 years under the assumption this was some crappy, low effort bullshit. That was insane. If I knew this film rolled so hard in the paint I would've watched it long ago. Also goddamn that lead actress is hot.